A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Petition to White House to stop off-shoring jobs . . . - SoCalMT

Posted: Nov 15, 2012

Please take a look at the petition I've started on the White House "We the People" website. We need 250 signatures for it to go lived, and then 25,000 within 30 days to force the administration to review it and respond.

It is here http://wh.gov/XbqE

It may not help, but I think it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

You do have to register, but I think it's worth it . . . - SoCalMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It's takes a minute or so, but to get ours jobs back home seems well worth the effort, I think.

Can you imagine if MT was NOT off-shored? I can only see good coming from it . . . we would have our profession back!

registering - schnauzermom

[ In Reply To ..]
so I can sign right now

Interesting info on off-shoring . . . link - SoCalMT

[ In Reply To ..]
http://thegavel.democraticleader.house.gov/?p=5433

I was never aware of all this. I find it very interesting, to say the least.

Did it. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Done. - mt

[ In Reply To ..]

Done & Put on Facebook - MT20

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

the white house does not offshore jobs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Corporations offshore jobs. The government cannot interfere with the way in which corporations make money. It's just the way it is in a capitalist society.

Yes, they can and DO pass legislation about this. . . - MT4now

[ In Reply To ..]
Read the link above.

Signed it! Great idea! - dmz

[ In Reply To ..]
Also put it on my Fbook so hopefully things will blossom if we all do so. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

well, they certainly try... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am totally in favor of legislation that gives tax incentives to companies that remain US-based. For reasons completely beyond my understanding, republicans obstruct this legislation continually. Ironically, however, almost half the country appears to embrace this obstructionism! We citizens need to lean on our legislators to do the right thing. The White House cannot make them play nice, but we can. (And good luck to us!)

The White House doesn't offshore, but... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Congress would probably be whom we would want to petition since they pass legislation.

gotta start somewhere.... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
wish everyone would "help" with suggestions about where to go and what to do instead of nitpicking somebody elses actions and being so negative. !!!
I wasn't nitpicking, just pointing out a fact. Wow. (nm) - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
you made an intelligent point about reality - (some do not like that)
[ In Reply To ..]
To my ear, the citizens who complain loudest about our economy and our unemployment rate are the same ones who almost put a corporate strong-arm in office. You gotta wonder about that.
the poster to whom you reacted gave excellent advice, hon - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

exactly right - we have to hit the legislators - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
but I do believe they are the ones to instituded a tax break - to companies that offshore. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
They'll not listen. Companies run this country as along as they are in bed with their puppets, and they are mostly.
so we need to let them know we do not like that - yes??
[ In Reply To ..]
what makes you think they care? we don't fund them - or their campains. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
it's called you scratch mine...I'll scratch yours.

offshore - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe Bill Clinton was the president when he allowed U.S. companies to off-shore. The U.S. most certainly does dictate a lot of what U.S. corporations can do and not do, there are tax implications.

you do not know what you are talking about - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Offshoring dates back to at least the 1960s. Bill Clinton did not "allow" it. You are completely wrong about the U.S. government "dictating" to corporations. As long as corporations remain within the law, they are free to pursue profit as they see fit. We have a free market system in the United States. There are benefits and hazards. You have to call your legislators and let them know how you feel about offshoring.

I am signing... California had a bill but failed - me

[ In Reply To ..]
California had a bill stating it was illegal for medical transcription to be offshored and if you found out your physician was sending work overseas, you could personally sue them. However, the bill did not pass.

EVERYBODY SIGN THIS.

There ARE very much tax "incentives" to those that.... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
offshore to INDIA written right into our tax forms. You have to look carefully, but it is there. To those that are saying that the white house does not offshore, but the legislators do or can, the white house has the ability to veto such things, and so in a round about sort of way, the white house does have control over such things. Sometimes I think they just sign these things and don't even know what is in them. or don't care because it does not affect them. I was not picking on those that were saying the white house is not the place to start a petition with, but just did not like the negativity that pops up right away, and I mean right away, when someone tries to do something positive, whether it is in a perceived misdirection or not. She had the courage to at least try to do something good for all of us, as well as the nation as a whole, and she should not be discouraged from doing so! Give it a chance...it might just work. Nobody knows what will happen until we at least try!

and to the person who called me "HON," please don't be so condescending to me...I am not your "hon" and don't appreciate the context in how it was stated. thank you!

democracy as we know it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The white house cannot veto something that isn't a law. Offshoring is a business model. No one came along and said: we are legalizing offshoring. You need to understand capitalism and the free market. It's tricky. Sorry for calling you "hon". I felt bad for the person you accused of nitpicking.

nobody said anything about "legalizing" offshoring... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
you are attempting to politicize this a lot more than it was ever intended. There are tax breaks being given to the "industry" to "encourage" offshoring. I don't believe this should be written into our tax forms, and to me, and I may be wrong...not understanding the "business model" of capitalism and the "free market" as you condescendingly suggest, but any tax breaks need to be, or should be, agreed upon by the legislators, and accepted or declined by the white house...not necessarily "vetoed" as you again so condescendingly suggest, but somebody higher up should be made aware of these tax breaks handed out so eagerly, and to me, in my "small uncomprehensive" mind, that would include the president! The "fiscal cliff" tax breaks coming up need to be continued or discontinued, and the President is the one that will be reviewing that. I believe he has the "final say." That should include any tax breaks handed out previously for encouraging offshoring of jobs, including transcription....I would think, but oh please...do correct me if I am wrong, which I am sure you will. Perhaps this should be taken to the politics board, instead of discussed here.
I apologize - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I made up the example of "legalizing" offshoring to try to illustrate the point that neither the president nor the congress can prevent offshoring, since it's a business practice. It wasn't at all my intention to be condescending.

I totally agree with you that tax breaks should not be given to companies that send work overseas. This is an important issue that needs to be taken up with our legislators, since they are the only ones who can fix it.

When I said the free market is tricky, I sincerely meant it is tricky for all of us to find the balance between the benefits and hazards in this system. It's a mess. I certainly can't figure it out.

Imagine all the industries (and stockholders) that would be impacted to the tune of millions of dollars if their cost of doing business changed? Conversely, can you imagine all the people America could employ if Wal-Mart bought only from America? Heck. It's tricky.

Since congress can override a presidential veto, the best we can do is make every effort to make sure our legislators represent us, and join with others in ways that will produce results.

Wishing you prosperity!
apology accepted..... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
and this posting was much more understandable and less condescending and thus I was much more receptive to what you had to say. I agree with what you had to say, in that respect. Thank you for the explanation. Sorry for being so touchy, but there are so many on this board that seem to feel the only way they can get their point across is to appear to have more knowledge and understanding about situations than others, and to demean the person who may not understand or agree with what you had to say. It is better to try to explain and simplify than it is to come across as "well you don't understand, so it should be this way (my way)." That sort of thing just turns me off, aggravates me, and gets me defensive, and being a scorpio, my words are my weapons. I apologize too.

Similar Messages:

White House Petition Re: Off-shoring
Sep 17, 2013

Check out site below. Signatures needed! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sending-our-medical-records-offshore/B8mSk5hN   ...

White House Petition
Feb 06, 2013

Please sign this petition, just found it on the White House site and it has a long way to go to get recognized and responded to.   https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/bring-back-all-united-states-medical-record-transcription-be-performed-only-us-us-medical/TJzSQpZq ...

Petition To Stop Sending Our Jobs Off Shore
Nov 19, 2012

There is a petition here http://wh.gov/XbqE about stopping off-shoring jobs. I saw it on facebook, and it would apply to MT, I think. They need 150 signatures for it to be put on the White House website. If our jobs were back here and not sent to other countries, maybe we could finally work and get paid enough to survive - kind of like in the "good old days." ...

Petition To Keep Jobs In USA
Dec 08, 2012

http://wh.gov/Nz78 This looks a lot like one posted here a couple weeks ago. It's on a facebook page. It says it takes 150 signatures within 30 days for it to go live on the White House website. I see you have to register to sign, but I just did, and it only takes a minute. Please sign. We need to try to do something about losing our jobs to other countries. ...

Please, MTs That Still Have In-house Jobs. Do Know That
May 31, 2014

ANYTHING to make sure a sale goes through. They tell the hospital those lies so the hospitals can sell you down the river with no guilt. But those are lies. Things WILL change. Then your choice will be, is your compensation, in your opinion, adequate for the amount of energy you put into this job. ...

MT Jobs On Indeed - In House Positions
Jul 08, 2014

In house positions, just go to Indeed and put in Medical Transcription without a location. Locations include Secaucus, NJ; Kalamazoo, MI; Idaho Falls, ID; Teaneck, NJ; Portland, OR; Kansas City, MO; someplace in Wisconsin (didn't say town), Florence, SC; Missoula, MT; and White Plains, NY.   ...

Whitehouse Petition To Save Our Jobs
Jan 29, 2013

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/bring-back-all-united-states-medical-record-transcription-be-performed-only-us-us-medical/TJzSQpZq ...

Keep Our Jobs In America Official Government Petition Link!
Nov 03, 2011

Here's the official government link for those who are sick of the whining about losing jobs to India via the Q and want to do something about it!  All you naysayers, do something or stop whining about it.  We need lots of votes, so please go vote and stand up! PLEASE!   http://wh.gov/TFH ...

Keep Our Jobs In America Official Gov Website For Petition-sign It!
Nov 03, 2011

Here is the official website to sign petition to keep our jobs in America-everyone needs to sign it, we need lots of votes-HELP and SIGN! http://wh.gov/TFH ...

Stop Letting These Companies Advertise Their "jobs" Here....sm
Apr 17, 2011

8 cpl is what I started at 6 or 7 years ago, I'm still seeing this number and of course much lower. How are companies getting away with this nonsense of not paying for spaces, paying 5 cpl, etc. In my opinion 8 cpl + typing for large teaching hospitals with 18 pages of specifications = really low pay. The one way I can think to put an end to these companies and their crappy pay, besides no one taking these jobs, is to stop letting them advertise on MT stars and other MT boards unless they ...

6' 8" White Male Or 6 Foot 8 Inch White Male?
Dec 09, 2009

I have not run across the patient's measurements before and have no clue of the proper way to type them. tia.   6' 8" white male or 6 foot 8 inch white male? ...

S/l Derry White Syndrome, And Not Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome
Jun 14, 2010

Can't find this, gets infections and cellulitis because of this syndrome, TIA ...

AHDI And AHIMA And Off-shoring
Aug 19, 2013

Where are AHDI and AHIMA in all of this?  We pay membership dues for them to be our "voice."  (Guess I'm delusional) ...

Hiring Frenzy Or Off Shoring?
Mar 20, 2014

Can it get any worse?  So little pay, so much brow beating about errors and now work is disappearing! ...

PETITION: Everyone Needs To Sign This Petition
Sep 04, 2013

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sending-our-medical-records-offshore/B8mSk5hN ...

Off-shoring A Potentially Risky Cost Saver For Organizations
Mar 27, 2013

Interesting read.  I found this October 2008 article in which our own company (formerly Medquist) is mentioned.  Here is the link: http://www.online-crc.com/content.cfm?content_id=220556 Just a few excerpts from the article: The problem is worse in other countries where U.S. law doesn’t apply and protection against the risk of medical identity theft is minimal or nonexistent. “We need tougher laws for outsourced companies in other countries.”  “The ris ...

TAA Petition =
Jan 21, 2010

As suggested the other day, I e-mailed my TAA regional director since all I was getting from my One-Stop Career Center person & UI was that I needed a letter stating a lay off date or that there was an imminent threat of lay off. She sent me a note, then cc'd my e-mail to my state director.  Here are their responses: Regional:  You would need a qualifying separation in order to be eligible for Trade benefits as you have not been determined to be an adversely affected incumbe ...

Does Anyone Know If There Has Been A TAA Petition
Aug 16, 2013

filed with the DOL for Nuance employees?  I know MModal has one and lots of their employees, both past and present, are taking advantage of the schooling and other benefits.  If not filed for Nuance employees could we model one after the MModal petition?  Anybody have any information?  ...

Petition (sm)
Apr 02, 2014

Petition for Joint Commission to change standards in health care documentation.  This was created by an MT.  ...

White Count Help
Dec 30, 2009

Doctor is stating "white count is down to 24,000.2" (twenty-four thousand point 2).  How would you transcribe this.  TIA ...

White Count
Jun 14, 2011

when doc says white count of 5.3 this is to get expanded, is that correct? Also is it expaned to 53,000? ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

In-house Job
Oct 14, 2010

I applied for an in-house transcription job in August back at my old pre-MQ hospital.  They decided the work load was too light (they had lost Radiology) and we not going to fill it at that time.  Another position has been vacated and I got a call from a friend that they are definitely filling it this time.  There were only 2 qualified applicants in August.  I am hoping the other person found something great already.  I have my fingers crossed, am nervous, and need ...

In-house Pay?
Nov 09, 2011

I really have no idea if this is fair compensation or not, but I am looking at a job that is an in-house MT job, a 45-minute one-way commute, with full benefits, and the pay is 0.075 cpl.  The job will not come home, and the pay will only increase every year. Any opinions? ...

Does VR Get Better If Kept In-house?
May 16, 2012

Have any of your hospitals purchased a Nuance VR product that they've used for their in-house transcriptionists?  If so, does the VR quality get better and better since you have a limited number of MTs doing the editing?   It's not my hospital but one I know of that's starting with this new product, so I'm not sure of the exact product name.  I've worked for a huge MTSO where the VR never, ever improved in the 9 months I used it; but with soooo many MTs m ...

Sign The Petition
Jun 20, 2011

I found a petition to sign against sending work offshore.  Its at ataus.org (American Transcription Assocation).  You do  not have to be a member to sign it.  Does anyone else know about any petitions?  ...

Petition To Retain Value Of MT
Mar 13, 2011

http://www.ahdi-west.org/advocacy/petition-letter-to-legislators/ ...

We All Need To Sign This Petition If We Want
Nov 30, 2012

It only takes a minute of your time, and your MT career is on the line. ...

Petition #81128
Feb 08, 2013

Everyone who is trade affected due to work being shifted to India with reduced hours is potentially eligible under this petition at http://doleta.gov/tradeact  I met with a representative today who encouraged me to tell other workers in this situation about the possible benefits from the department of labor.   Contact your state office to find out if you qualify.  It offers potential benefits for retraining in another occupation that has expected growth potential as wel ...

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION
Feb 13, 2013

A petition to the White House for bringing our work back! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/bring-back-all-united-states-medical-record-transcription-be-performed-only-us-us-medical/TJzSQpZq Once this is through we need one to nix SR!!!! ...