A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it legal to ask a person to sign an agreement stating they sm - Always waiting

Posted: Apr 04, 2013

will not comment about a company, including their payroll practices, here or on any social media? I know why the stipulation is there, since the company has not paid on time EVER and they were trashed here because of it, but if someone comes on the board and asks about the company, I would feel it within my rights to warn that person that if you need a reliable pay day, this is not the place. I have until Saturday to decide if I sign this document. I'm thinking about walking away anyway.

Is that only while you are an employee? - Here is what I think

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think that once you left the company, you no longer are bound to their agreement. I also believe that the freedom of speech rights would prevail and as long as you are telling the truth, you can say whatever you want. Its only liebel if you are spreading lies. If you have proof of what you say, you can say it.

Well.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It would concern me, because a company really shouldn't have to take those extremes, if they are a good company. I mean, to make you agree not to say anything bad about them basically, well it sounds fishy to me.

If I already worked there, I would probably sign it and like the above poster said, if you have to quit or whatever, then you should no longer be bound to that agreement. If I was considering a job with them, then NO, I would never sign, because that is basically them warning that they have issues and they don't want future employees to know about it.

Do you already work there? - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
It would scare me for a company that I was applying for to tell me something like that. I probably wouldn't take the job, because I would feel I was in for a headache.

It really isn't fair, because we accept positions from these MTSOs that are many states away from us and the only way we can even know if they are a legit company is by reading on here to find out. If they don't pay us, it is a lot harder to figure out how to collect from them, than if they were local and we could just go up to the business.

If it is a good company, with nothing to hide, they shouldn't need this practice.

I have worked there for a bit. Paychecks are always late sm - Always waiting

[ In Reply To ..]
varying from a week to a month, and then someone posted on MTStars about it and the owner had a conference call with everyone, saying how unprofessional it was, disrespectful, etc., and that she almsot lost a client because of it. Now we are asked to sign a confidentiality agreement, which includes this clause about not posting on MTStars or any other social media. She promises the paycheck issue will be settled, but in the meantime I am stuck trying to decide what to do.

Well there ya go. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If she promises the paycheck issue will be resolved, I would tell her to just put that bit into this contract as well. Therefore, she has to abide by this too. I would think it would be more unprofessional and disrespectful not to pay a person who works for you, myself, and I wouldn't continue to work for a person like that. But, if you like the job, then so be it. BUT, like another poster said, I do not think she can legally fire you if you refuse to sign such a document, since you are already hired and this wasn't a requirement before being hired.

sign it... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
then, take your payroll complaints to the Dept of Labor.

I certainly hope every single person on that conference call told the owner they had no idea what she was talking about.
I agree - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Each time she doesn't pay, go to the Dept. of Labor. She can't do anything about you doing that and she can't force you to sign a contract that forbids that.

As far as warning potential new hires, well you can email them privately from this board, if you feel you should, but hopefully she will get her stuff together and pay on time, since I assume she wants work done in a timely manner.

The contract would be non-binding if employment is severed - IC-AL

[ In Reply To ..]
You could talk about it to your heart's content once you leave the company, right?
Contract non necessarily nonbinding if employement is severed! - Law student
[ In Reply To ..]
Be careful! As they used to say in the Marines, CYA.
For sure. Some obviously don't realize just how - business-friendly law has become. My
[ In Reply To ..]
current company never asked me officially to sign such an agreement. My previous company was purchased by them. They eventually provided us with the on-line "agreement" between them and us, never a paper copy, no signatures, but in there is a clause that we will not discuss the company in any negative way.

When my company rolled into this one, regardless of whatever I did or didn't agree to at that time under some forgotten guise, I don't remember signing anything and I'm sure I never saw this official contract, but I literally wouldn't bet a dime that I am totally bound by it.

Her CLIENTS read MTStars????? - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
She really said she almost lost a client because of chatter on this board about her paying late.

Huh. Life just gets weirder and weirder, doesn't it?

As others have said, if she had nothing to hide or was doing nothing wrong, then she wouldn't feel the need to put these kinds of "procedures" in place.

The other part of that is this is an anonymous board. How would she know who was posting if you were careful about not revealing details - unless there are so few of you she could narrow it down pretty easily.

I wouldn't work for someone who consistently paid late. People get one shot at that with me. Wells Fargo doesn't give a rat's behind about why my mortgage payment is late - they want their money when they want it. Period. If she can't pay on time or can't get a line of credit going to cover her payroll until her invoices are paid, then she's not a very good business person and I wouldn't give her any more chances.

And confidentiality agreement or not, if someone asked and there was verifiable proof that yes the payroll was late and it could not be construed as slander or libel, you better believe I'd be shouting it from the roof tops to warn other MTs away.
Maybe more clients SHOULD read MTStars. - It would be a real education.
[ In Reply To ..]

Unconstitutional - not a lawyer

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think this would hold up in court unless someone was blatently revealing details about a company and/or its practices. You can have someone sign a contract that says "anything" the question becomes is the contract enforceable. It can be complied with - which means they get what they want, but if someone decides to test it by speaking up/out, then it is a question for the Courts. A large company *will* pay to prosecute. You can't get a 100% correct answer from a non-lawyer but for me I think I would either: Choose my words carefully if I didn't abide by the contract - still realizing I am taking a chance, or never say anything, or not sign the contract.

P.S. - not a lawyer

[ In Reply To ..]
If your job is threatened by NOT signing the contract, YOU may have a case. Talk to a lawyer. It's worth the small fee (if you can afford it).

my cousin lawyer in DC states this is legal - IC-AL

[ In Reply To ..]
She lobbied as a representative for some large medical companies. I spoke with her about this very issue. She was very blunt in stating companies do not want employees talking about them in public. If you want the job, you sign the contract and live by the contract. If you don't they will find someone who will. I could tell in her mind it was a non-issue and did not understand my passion about it.

Regardless, this happens on a grand scale in the United States. Again, if you can live with it, do it, but it is legal. I know that for myself, I would not be able to do it.

so just email people privately to warn them. who si to know? - mission accomplished nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I don't think I'd trust a company that wants to squash things like that. sm - JMO

[ In Reply To ..]
As others have suggested, it sounds like they have something to hide. Not paying on time is a big red flag. I'm sure they want their files turned in on time.

Always waiting - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Believe me, I'd walk. NO ONE would take away my First Amendment rights like that!

Similar Messages:

Agreement?
Dec 29, 2011

Hi After having a bad expereince where a doctor didnt pay me I need to have a signed agreement.  Does anyone know where i might obtain a sample agreement/contract? thanks   ...

Verb Agreement...
Apr 22, 2010

I was wondering if I should change the verbs in this paragraph so they are all the same tense.  "He understood and agreed to proceed. On the left lateral decubitus position, the patient was sedated...video colonoscope is advanced into the rectum and up to about 30 cm. Soft solid stool is encountered at this point...scope was slowly withdrawn..."  Should I change these so they match or leave it the way he dictated it? ...

None Compete Agreement
Jun 30, 2011

One more morning, and I've logged in to find no work.  Granted, it's the end of a pay period and folks have probably been up all night trying to capitalize on what few lines there have been.  Management is pretty tight lipped these days.  Just lost my longest best account recently.  That really sucked. . .  This is getting desperate, because unless some work comes in today -- I won't make my lines for another pay period (this will be the third in a row). ...

Business Associate Agreement
Nov 14, 2014

Does anyone know where to get a free printable/downloadable Business Associate Agreement (template) that I can have my transcription subcontractors sign? It needs to be one with the 2013 Omnibus rule included. I have looked all over but can't find anything adequate yet. Thank you! ...

Who Is Responsible For Providing A HIPAA Agreement
Mar 19, 2011

I have been doing MT for over four years now and have been working for other MTSOs. I am now ready to try to get my own contracts and have been doing lots of research, but what I can't seem to find out is who is responsible for providing a HIPAA agreement, me or the doctor (covered entity). I found on the Department of Health & Human Services website some sample contract language, but I'm just not clear if I need to put language in my contract with the doctor to cover this , or if the ...

Doctor Is Stating
May 23, 2011

"dermaclens" or "dermaclenz" ????  I can find a Derma-Clens when I google but it is used by vets.  Any suggestions?  TIA.  ...

Why Are They Job Posting Stating Up To 12 Cpl
Apr 18, 2015

I just saw a job ad for Nuance stating "You can earn up to .12788 cents per line."   Really?!  Not on the Bayscribe/Integra platforms!!!!   They knocked us down to .105 as the MOST we can make.  Is this part of their making it fair across the platforms BS?  I'm pissed.  When they switch us to a Nuance platform, will our pay go up to that?!  Grr ...

Got An E-mail Stating I Could Test Up To MME
Mar 21, 2013

I believe it is just another way to cut my pay further. ...

Mitchem Consulting Posting An Ad Stating That It Is
Feb 06, 2012

an IC position for a whole whopping 6 cpl.  Oh gonna grab that one...NOT! ...

Oh Goodie, I Got An Email Stating I Have A Mentor For ASR.
Apr 11, 2012

ie, the shadow mentoring. They say their methods have been effective in increasing ASR production. We will see... The one good thing is they will get to see exactly how much I have to correct their ASR! It might be more educational for them than me. :) I use all the short cuts provided, but I do listen to every single word. ...

Article Stating To Keep Medical Transcription In
Dec 29, 2012

http://www.ahdpg.com/blog/a-call-out-to-u-s-hospitals-to-help-put-americans-back-to-work/ ...

Stating Solid Shifts For IC Boldly In The Ad. Seriously?
May 25, 2013

Saw 2 ads posted here alone this week, perhaps there were more. Is it me or is this blantant disregard for IRS rules for IC. These ads state specific shifts and state for IC. Aren't these chancy moves on the part of the MTSO to actually put it in print publicly? Can't they get in trouble just for that? I am wondering if things have changed in rules for IC by the IRS or if I am losing my mind. Just touching base here for a reality check.  PS: I am not saying it isn't a 24/7 b ...

To QA: I Got A Comment Back Stating To Place The QA Marker
Jan 04, 2010

I always thought I had been doing that, but I got this message more than once, so I'd like to see if any QA here can clarify this.  CCM has no idea what she means ????  I always understood to place the QA marker right where I hear the blank and that is what I thought I was doing.  Any suggestions or comments as to what could be happening?  I don't want to make the QA's job any more difficult than it already is.....  TIA..... ...

Mumbling ER Doctor. Stating Allergy To S/L Sarandian. Sm
Apr 09, 2010

I'm not finding anything resembling this, even after listening multiple times, slowing down, speeding up. Any ideas?  Thanks. ...

New E-mail Today From Payroll Stating New PTO Rate
Jul 23, 2010

Did anybody get an e-mail like this today?  Just about 4 PM when I was starting my shift, I got a letter from payroll saying I would now be getting $7.50 an hour when I take PTO, when before I was told by payroll, it would be $9.50 an hour. This is the rate you have when you take a module or are in an MT conference. Anyways, ever since I started with Spheris, I got $9.50 an hour and have continued at this pay even after Medquist took over.  They said it is based on production since De ...

Got E Mail From My CCM Stating That Someone Called Trying To Get Access To MT's Computer
Jan 25, 2013

Very strange. Why would anyone want access to our work computer and how would they get our phone number and know we work for Mmodal.  Every day it gets stranger and stranger ...

He Has A Negative *Jean* Sign. (Not G Sign.) Sm
Apr 14, 2011

He has intact bilateral radioulnar and median nerve sensation.  He has some weakness in grip on the left as compared to the right.  He is 4+/5 on the left, 5/5 on the right.  He has 4+/5 small finger abduction bilaterally.  He has a negative *Jean* sign.   ...

In The Mail Today I Got A Letter Stating I Was Eligible For A Pell Grant.
Apr 21, 2010

I had to look up what it was because I had never heard of it.  Turns out they are given to poor folks.   I don't know what made them send it to me but it does have my name on it so I know it is for me.   They must know I work at Transcend.  It is only good for vocational training, cannot be for more than one year and must focus on skills necessary for securing entry level employment.  I don't know what direction to go in from here.  I ...

I Woke Up This Morning To An Email Stating I Lost My Job Due To Lack Of Work
Jan 24, 2012

Don't know what to think, she said due to the mandatory EMR they have lost many of their accounts with no notice so they have to go to a skeleton crew and I'm out.  Don't even know if I will get the last three paychecks she owes me either.  Does anybody know of any companies that are hiring? ...

ORTHO HELP: Negative [s/l Fair] Sign, Negative Fabere Sign?
Jun 02, 2012

OK.....   It's an orthopedic chart note. Patient has a chief complaint of  hip pain. Dictated: He has a negative [s/l fair, fairs, varus?] sign, a negative fabere sign. It doesn't sound like fadir; I'm not hearing that "d." I already had to leave two medication blanks and hate to leave another one for an orthopedic sign that I feel like I should know! Thank you in advance for your help and ideas!   ...

Pt Has Negative Froment's Sign And Negative S/l Jean Sign.
Sep 14, 2010

x ...

Abd. Exam, Negative "Boyd's" Sign Or "void" Sign??
Jul 31, 2010

Thank You To The Person Below Who
Nov 25, 2011

posted directions on changing window color in Win 7.  I changed mine to a light grey and somehow changed something when fiddling around with this that made the letters a more bold black color and what a difference it made.  My eyes do not feel strained like they did with the stark white background and ligher black letters.  Thanx. ...

So Sorry, QA Person, For The Job
Jul 20, 2012

Over 1000 seconds, took me 1-1/2 hours to do.  Total waste of my time.  Indian doctor who did not speak clearly.  I can't wait to see my line count today...not ...

QA Person
Jul 30, 2012

What exactly are the duties of a QA person?  Whenever I make a mistake she lets me know, of course, but she is always adding a snide remark and make me feel like I am still in school.  I am sick and tired of it.  I am thinking about complaining to my CCM, but I am not sure I want go that route yet.  I have saved all of her sarcastic comments.  So I made a mistake, she is not perfect.  She should just tell me about it and let it go.  I am not stupid.  I ack ...

Am I The Only Person...
Oct 02, 2012

Has not been given the go ahead for HIPAA training?  I got 2 e-mails in the past few months from CCM, stating to have it done by "the date they say," but nobody ever gave me a date.  I wrote to CCM who said "they" would be sending out an e-mail letting me know.  Just hope I didn't miss anything for this year's. ...

That Person Is Here Again
Nov 21, 2012

gets the whole nasty message into the subject and nickname/alias lines and then leaves the message blank? Hates on everybody?  Happy Thanksgiving nm. ...

Anybody Else Have A QA Person
Jan 01, 2014

Honestly, every time I get a big ding it is from one person. Everyone else seems to not mark me off much. Pardon my paranoia, but I just have to wonder if this person is targeting me and poring through my work until they find the one that has the errors and that's the one they end up reviewing. And about these "Major Errors" (or otherwise) - one middle digit off in platelets, really? 3 points? I know that is officially the rule, but to my knowledge unless platelets are particularly low or ...

To The Person Below With The $1,000
Jun 07, 2015

I read what you wrote and it touched my heart.  You sound like a really nice person who is just looking for the right option for you. I understand that. Like I said, it touched my heart, so I started brainstorming in your behalf from what I did and what might work for you.  Please don't laugh at my suggestions. They come from my heart. You mentioned that you wouldn't be able to use the $1,000 for Andrews. I can't remember what school you were required to use it at, but ...

VR Person From Thread Way Down Below.
Jan 20, 2010

When a company decides to make an account VR, are all the reports a mess to begin with for weeks or months until the voice engine (sorry if that's the wrong term) learns from the "straight" transcription that is done?  Why do different platforms matter (i.e., E-scription versus M-Modal, etc).  Is it possible for a company to get an account and make it VR from day 1, or do they have MTs do regular transcription on it for awhile? I guess I'm just trying to figure outwhat I sho ...