A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Independent Contracting and Raises - J6pack

Posted: Oct 26, 2009

I am finally leaving the broken world of transcription vending to become an independent contractor once again.  I am so very fortunate enough to have benefits through my husband's employer, so it's the pay I am really missing.  Is it unreasonable to put a raise in the contract?  The hospital basically told me they are not contracting for as much $ as they used to (yet another slap in the face of my career), and kind of hinted that raises are a joke. 

When I follow the stimulus money going to health care and taking into consideration the incredible sharp increase in the cost of living, I do not understand why hospitals are being so cheap. 

Any advice regarding my contract would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck - DM

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck and let me know how that goes with getting a raise included in your contract. I have been an IC for the past 8 years with a company (have been a CMT for 20 years) and even though I was promised in writing that I would get "regular increases" I have not had a single rate increase in 8 years. When I asked yet again this year I was told, "well, due to the economy..." !

IC raises - France

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's a great idea. I would go for it, all they can say is no raises. I have also been an MT for 25 years, IC off and on. I have never had a raise as an IC without changing to a company that is paying more. At one time a few years ago I had my own accounts, but I had to pick up tapes and deliver the work daily or send it via computer, no middle man that way. Good luck

first, you have to change the phrasing - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
An independent contractor doesn't "get a raise." They increase their line rate to the client.

You need to be upfront with the client at the very start and tell them that your rate will go up by "X" amount after a specified length of time, and that this will be written into the contract. You should also stipulate that the contract will automatically renew on the anniversary date, unless you are notified in writing 30 days in advance (by the client) that they will not renew their contract ... hence, there's no line rate increase. Of course, you should send them a reminder 3 months prior to the anniversary date, so they have ample opportunity to decide if they want to continue using your excellent service. If you're that good, they'll renew the contract.

THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT ADVICE! - J6pack

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, Snow Bunny! I really am that good - I blew them away when I tested with their hardest doc. I can do anything they give me, and I am in the process of being hired. None of their MTs ever quit, and none will retire, but there is too much work, and the hospital wants me to take over the work that has gone to their vendor on a regular basis. I am so excited! If you have any sample contracts or any further advice, I would be extremely thankful!

Agree with Snowbunny. Get out of that employee mindset. You are a business, a service provider. nm - Deb

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Independent Contracting
Apr 16, 2014

can anyone give me some info independent contracting.  what all is involved, what taxes need to be paid, do I pay double social security, do I need a buisness license, etc.  any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks ...

HELP! New To Independent Contracting And Need Some Advice
Jan 12, 2012

Hello all, I have a potential new job, FINALLY!! I am relatively new out of school and have only had one, short-term position in transcription. I worked at the facility and was paid hourly. Now, this doctor that I'm in talks with for this position is wanting to know fees and contract stuff. I have NO IDEA how to set that up or what to even charge. Can anyone help with this, or at the very least, point me in the direction of where to find information that could help me create something? Sho ...

Independent Contracting - Is It Worth It?
Jan 04, 2013

I have a zillion questions; however, I am on unemployment, which I would probably get an extension and a grant to go to school only I am not really interested in coding/billing because well I am just not that keen on the healthcare field anymore.  Not to start anything, but unem really only wants to give grants for a 3- to 6-month certificate mill, in which more than likely I would not get a job coding anyway.  All it would do is buy me some more time to wait for something else, which ...

Annual Raises Or Merit Raises?
Dec 03, 2014

Does any MTSO do this?  I mean, either an annual cost of living raise or a merit raise based on a regular annual review.  Or both. If none of the above, are you able to just ask your boss for a raise when you feel it's appropriate?  Does it work? ...

VA Contracting
Jun 11, 2010

Hello Colleagues - Does anyone know anything about VA Centers and how to sub contract or a contact?  Thanks! ...

Currently Contracting With AccuPro
Apr 09, 2015

Is there anyone currently contracting with AccuPro who cares to share? ...

Question Re Indep Contracting
Feb 11, 2012

Good morning  I've been an MT for just over two years now and have always been an IC working for a transcription company until recently when a local doctor hired me as an employee to do his transcription.  I work from home, certain established hours, and he pays me hourly and takes out taxes etc.  Now I've been contacted by another local doctor to do his transcription, but he wants me to be an IC and pay me by the line - I will have to keep my own line count and send an ...

Raises????
Jun 28, 2013

I have been working for a compnay since 12/2007.  In that period of time I have worked multiple accounts, learned multiple new software systems and have always gone above and beyond - working over/extra to ensure we stay in our TAT.  In the 5-1/2 years I have been working for them, I have not had a single line rate increase.  Is this the normal?  ...

QC Raises?
Jul 02, 2013

Anybody who is a QC ever ask for a raise? I got promoted to a QC from an MLS within Nuance. They estimated my rate by averaging my lines per hour, then adding $2 to it as my rate for being a QC. I've been at that rate only 7 months, but see lots of posts here about people being offered jobs in QC at $13 an hour and that is more than I make. Should I ask about a raise? Has anybody ever had luck asking for one? ...

Pay Raises
Mar 25, 2015

I have a question for all you MTs out there.  I have been with the same company for 8 years now and am still making the same cpl as I was when I was hired.  Is this the norm?  I would think a raise should be in order at some point.  I am very reliable, always make production or over production, very accurate.  Just kinda feeling unloved!  LOL! ...

TIRED OF NO RAISES, VERY LITTLE PAY
Nov 30, 2009

Visit:  http://www.opeiu.org/ContactUs/tabid/100/Default.aspx We deserve to be protected:  "Your right to form a union is protected by long-standing U.S. labor laws. While most employers use all kinds of excuses why unions aren’t needed and put up challenges to block organizing efforts, workers succeed every day in building powerful employee organizations. OPEIU can provide you and your co-workers with the tools and support needed to organize a union where you work. You can ...

Companies And Raises?
Feb 18, 2010

After being at a company 2 1/2 years, does anyone thing it is acceptable to email and ask the company for a raise? ...

Raises (don't Laugh, I'm Serious).
Jan 06, 2011

Has anybody asked their company for a raise within the last year and gotten one ?  Just curious.  ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...

WEBMEDX Hands Out Raises!!!!
Sep 11, 2010

See (lol), anyone can come up with a Shock and Awe type of title/campaign to get peoples attention to read their post. I mean really, Spyware?!?? Give me a break Pete. It was just about as silly and borderline slanderous as your post! Monitoring keystrokes goes back to the inception of computers being used in transcription. THESE REPORTS WERE DESIGNED TO HELP...END STORY Look,companies hire and they lay off, its never pretty. I am sure that the layoff was unavoidable as MTSO's are not into ...

Does Amphion Give Raises? Nm
Oct 03, 2010

nm ...

How Much Does Proscript Pay And Do They Give Raises? NM
Sep 10, 2013

Thank you. ...

Nuance Does Not Give Raises.
Oct 01, 2014

Maybe you are new and think they will.  Maybe you are old and think they will.  They won't.  Maybe they don't use this tactic anymore, but when I was there it was "Give Yourself A Raise." That meant produce more.  They don't give raises.  Don't waste your time E-mailing anybody.  Get mad.  Sure.  Even quit, find yourself a better career.  But don't hold your breath.  There will be no raises.  They don't need you ...

Here's A Quick, Interesting Read That Raises My
Jan 20, 2012

that maybe 2012 will be the year that the elephant in the room, OFFSHORING AMERICAN JOBS, and the perks which companies get for doing so, will finally get a spotlight thrown upon it:   ...

130 Percent Profit But Cannot Give Raises.
May 29, 2015

I listened to the meeting. At least I get paid my hourly rate.  ...

Just Wondrin' When MedQ Took Away Incentive, And Promised Raises
Apr 06, 2010

Memo promised all those high producers who were making the incentive grade would be compensated in the form of a raise...anbody here get one?  ...

Independent Contractor Means "independent" Contractor - Sm
Oct 22, 2014

I am so tired of these companies hiring for an IC position and then when you are not at your keyboard johnny on the spot at 11 a.m. every day to start your day and sometimes start at 12 p.m. or 12:30 p.m., they are calling your cell, sending threatening E-mails.  They never stipulated in their contract that if you say, per se, you are going to work 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and you start a little later, say 12 p.m. and work until the work is completed still getting getting the work completed well w ...

Independent
Jun 22, 2015

7 cpl, no spaces, pay once a month... give me a freaking break! PLUS having to buy their software at $200, (but refundable should you ever quit) taken out of your check in "4 easy payments." Yeah... sign me up!! ...

Wal-Mart Commercial - "a Raise In Pay Raises Us All." Hey MModal Listen Up!
May 04, 2015

If Im meeting my LPH minumum plus, why do I still require make-up pay?? Wow!  My CPL sucks..just saying! ...

Going Independent - Please Advise
Nov 11, 2009

Hi Everyone, I'm a transcriptionist with 20+ years of experience.  Way back 20 years ago I had my own service and, for various reasons, closed it and went to work for someone else. Now I'm tired of paying the middle man all of my hard earned wages and would like to get back into the truly self-employed aspect of transcription.  Back then we just transcribed from tapes.  The problem is that technology has changed to so much during that time, I hardly know where to start ...

Independent Contractor CPL
Mar 10, 2010

Would a few independent contractors mind sharing your CPL rate? I currently work as an employee and have three years experience. I am looking into IC jobs, but I am having difficulty finding information easily on the difference in rates between IC jobs and employee jobs. Thank you! ...

How Does Anyone Become An IC (independent Contractor)?
Jul 11, 2010

How does anyone become an IC (independent contractor)? What is the process exactly? Any help would be appreciated. ...

EIN And Job As Independent Contractor
Aug 19, 2011

I recently got a reply on a job as an IC for a company but in order to work for them I have to have an EIN. How do I get one and how do I figure out my taxes and all the stuff that goes with it? ...

Independent Contractor
Jun 13, 2013

I was thinking of applying for an IC job until I saw this (and much more, but this did it for me). If you have been offered an independent contractor position it is very important that you calculate the ultimate cost to you as a taxpayer to see if the salary being offered is worth the time and effort. For example, if you are being offered $15 an hour as an independent contractor and $12 an hour as a payroll employee, you may initially be tempted by the fact that your "take home" pay will be ...

Independent Contracts
Aug 21, 2013

I have been thinking about getting my own contracts instead of working for a big company.  Can anyone please advise me on how to go about this?  I have been working for five years as an MT and I was just content with what I had but I won't be getting a raise anytime soon (haven't for the past 5 years) and I know that I would be making more independently. So what are the steps of getting your own contracts?  What do I need to know before I begin? Thank you all ...