A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to calculate what you don't get paid for - wheres_my_job

Posted: May 29, 2012

If you want to keep track of the dollar amount you are NOT getting paid, here are some benchmarks - if you think the amount I'm using for 65-VBC line is off, let me know what you think is proper amount. 1. Not paid for visible black characters physically typed in by transcriptionist in headers, footers and pend notes: $0.08 per 65 VBC line. Example: Typing in address/fax/phone in health care provider database: Jane Doe, MD 1313 Mockingbird Lane Fresno, CA 54003 545-778-4321 545-778-4322 Visible black characters, no spaces: 67 2. Not paid for visible black characters in headers, footers and pend notes verified through database search and/or Internet search by transcriptionist : $0.04 per 65-VBC line; 4. Not paid for VBC's in account specifications and emails [though supervisors use different colored fonts in emails]: $0.01 per 65-VBC line.

I don't - understand

[ In Reply To ..]
fully what you are asking here and do think it is an important question and that you are on exactly the right track. Can you make it clearer?

I also suggest that EVERYONE at Medquist, Nuance, Softscript and other off their rockers employers document EVERY SINGLE last minute you work and are not paid and specifically what you were doing during those periods. Attending meetings, filling out timesheets, checking email, et cetera and track your line counts down to the detail

The 65 visible black character line is UNIT of measure - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
that's what we're getting paid in - because the bigwigs got together and decided that was the most accurate, or standardized way to measure what we do, which in turn determines what we are paid.

I'm saying - think about it - how can you translate emails, headers, footers and pend notes into the industry standard - the 65 visible black characters?

It's how we are getting paid (most of us) - don't emails consist of visible black characters (unless you have silly supervisors who like to play with fonts in emails you aren't getting paid to read) - what do headers and footers consist of? When you do unpaid data entry, what are entering in - you are keying in visible black characters.

That's how they pay us - so they need to pay us for ALL visible black characters we manipulate in order to "reproduce and maintain" documents - their terminology - add those addresses up in the headers - believe or not, you can get to one 65-VBC line with ONE address. See how it adds up? It's "straight typing." Multiply these 65 VBCs we're not getting paid for, by 100s of employees - that can get to be quite a chunk of change.

I actually think it should be more like 10 or 12 cents a line for adding addresses into a database. There should be a differential for ANYTHING that takes us out of the main body of a document - I mean, even if you do a search - you've got to TYPE IN THE PATIENT'S NAME - or at least the first few letters - those ALL need to be included in our total of 65 VBC lines that we get paid by - as straight typing, NOT VR. Again, I would say for the frickin' hassle and productivity-decreasing effect that such data entry causes, you should get MORE than 8 cents a line for header/footer/pend note VBCs.

We also do not get paid for cc's. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
We may be requested to enter up to 8 copies on a note/letter, none of which is paid for. As well, if we have to actually look up any of those physicians to be entered because they are not in the database, we do not get paid for that either, but it is a required part of our job.

Some companies have you enter "canned or normal" text, which you do not get paid for, but it needs to be part of the report. That would be fine, except do you think the MTSO gets paid for those lines?
That's why I'm filing a complaint - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
amazingly enough, the statue of limitations in these matters (at least the state my company's in), is 2 years. Yes, you have TWO WHOLE YEARS to get your complaint to the Labor Standards Board together - the company may then be required to pay back pay AND a fine for each instance - now that's what I want to hear!

If I were you, I would start keeping track of all your cc's - you can "guesstimate" the number of characters by making up some fake addresses of various lengths, so you can eyeball how many characters, you know, a 30 character address versus a 65 character address (some of those addresses are pretty long!)

Good luck on getting the pay you deserve.
We get paid for less and less - Texas
[ In Reply To ..]
We don't get paid for any information we enter such as names, social security numbers, account numbers, cc's, addresses to send copies to, etc. It takes time to enter all of that and it's for free.....
That's my whole point - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
Start keeping track, for say a 3-month period...then file a complaint with the Labor Standards Bureau of the state your company is in.

Explain that the industry standard (you can google it) is to pay based on the 65 "visible black character" line. Well, all those addresses we input, pend notes, patient demographics we do searches on - they all involve VISIBLE BLACK CHARACTERS that WE are inputting. Therefore, we must be paid for ALL VISIBLE BLACK CHARACTERS we manipulate - so start keeping track, and let the Labor Standards Bureau know. If you type in "rob" (3 visible black chracters) in order to look up a doc's last name, and then you type in "wrob" (4 visible black characters) to try and figure out that name you need, you need to get paid for those 7 visible black characters - by the industry standard THEY THEMSELVES DECIDED UPON!!!!!

7 characters here, 35 there, 18 here, 22 there...all day long...day after day week after week year after year....multiplied by thousands of MTs - just think of how much money that is going to the MTSO AND NOT THE MT!

Anyway, my complaint is almost done, I'll be turning it in on my dad's birthday!!! Tons of fun!!!! Happy birthday dad!!!

ok i get - where you

[ In Reply To ..]
are coming from now. I agree with you. You are coming at it from a different perspective than I have been. I have tracked time spent on email and it adds up. I will think about whether your idea that emails s/b translated to VBC is the way to go or not. I hadn't thought of that just that the time should be compensated and I know exactly how much time I've spent on email and all other tasks. I encourage everyone else regardless of where you work to keep track. Be the change that you want to see in the world as they say

They should be required to pay - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
There should be a standard program used to calculate ALL keystrokes, no matter where they are used, email, commands, editing, spreadsheets, timecards, URLs to research, etc. That is easy and the only fair way to pay. OR, if we only get paid for VBCs, that is all we should provide (no research, email, spreadsheets, lists, etc).

Won't the time clock requirement screw them in the end? - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
Easy complaint to the labor board: Just subpeona the time clock for what you should be paid for your time.

Time clock isn't enough - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
People are saying, they are paid below minimum wage, based on the true number of hours they work, versus the falsified time card.

Okay fine, then what happens? People start putting down the true number of hours - the pay gets bumped up to MINIMUM WAGE - still not fair to the employee.

Meaning, since when does being an MT, a knowledge worker job, requiring "domain knowledge" (THEIR terminology) pay less than a host/hostess in a restaurant, or maybe equal to (or even less than) what a lawn maintenance worker gets paid?

This job should pay WAY MORE than minimum wage - their should have been NO DROP IN PAY with VR - because that's what THEIR advertising said!!!! Right we'd double our lines. That's false advertising, and partly because of all the OTHER visible black characters we are inputting, eyeballing (in emails and account specs) etc.

Add up the 65 visible black character lines in an acct spec, and every time you've got to open the #$@(!^*# acct specs, charge your employer for the pleasure!!!!! that might reduce the number of acct specs OVERNIGHT - if they have to start paying for our eyeballing them.

Thank you Angie!! I agree completely!!! - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
there needs to be an industry standard that all companies MUST comply with - and it must be fair to the employee, i.e., truly and accurately capture ALL THE WORK WE DO.

Thank you, I'll stop with the all caps.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Know How To Calculate
Jun 18, 2011

If you are an IC - and get 3.5 cpl for speech - what is left after you pay taxes - per line, like a half a cent profit?   Maybe its just me, but how on earth do you make any money at that point? ...

How Do You Calculate PTO?
May 22, 2014

I am new to transcription and I qualify for benefits, PTO, holidays, everything. If a payperiod is 11 days, but one day is a holiday, like Monday, and I think I might get incentive pay for reaching a number goal of lines, do they count this period as 10 or 11 days? My incentive range of pay changes depending on 11 or 10 days fomula. ...

HOW TO CALCULATE PRODUCTION
Feb 10, 2015

Will someone be kind enough to instruct me as to how MM calculates production for the week?  TIA. ...

Do They Calculate Your LPH Before Dividing Your Speech Or No? Sm
Dec 04, 2014

Just wondering- Do they take your lines and half the speech lines and THEN divide that by your hours and get your LPH OR do they take your total speech and typed lines first and get your LPH , then divide the speech lines in half? That makes a difference. Does anyone know????? I still cannot see a huge impact. I have calculated 2 past weeks of pay using the new way and also an older scorecard. One was the same, one was 10$ less for that week and one was about 15$ more for the week. BUT I also a ...

How Do You Calculate How Many Lines You Type Per Hour?
Sep 19, 2010

I have heard that some companies expect you to type a minimum of 150 lines/hr.  How do you calculate how many lines you type per hour? ...

How Do I Calculate Line Counts In MS Word?
Jan 05, 2011

I am an experienced transcriptionist but new to working at home.  How do I calculate line counts in MS Word?  Is it the total characters divided by 65? ...

What Are Different Ways To Calculate For Faxing Reports?
Oct 12, 2011

My employer has agreed to pay to have me fax reports to several different facilities.  I have to print out every report I fax (if someone knows a different way, I'm listening)...  so, we're talking time, paper, toner, wear and tear on equipment.....   How are people out there calculating to do that?  My employer hasn't a clue and I'm treading unfamiliar waters?  Any help?? ...

How To Calculate Time Worked In TeamWork
Jul 05, 2014

Have recently switched to full time, so need to understand how to calculate my hours so I don't go over 40 each week.  So far, it is clear as mud to me.  For example, I worked 3 hours and 6 minutes and the clock showed 3:10 hours.  Another time I worked 3 hours and 13 minutes, and the clock showed 3:22 hours.   Makes no sense to me.     If someone can help me understand this, I would be very appreciative.  TIA     ...

Clear Choice Transcription - New Way To Calculate Our Lines And The Incentive Is Gone
Feb 19, 2014

When I started, pay was great.  There were incentives.  But now, there is a new way to calculate our lines and the incentive is gone. Who knows more about this company?  Did this happen to you? ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

On Simulatoin For TBI, S/l Calculate The "equivalent Spared"
Aug 28, 2012

For simulatoin for total body irradiation for bone marrow transplant.  His length was measured at 42, and width was measured at 34 to calculate the "equivalent spared", which was 37. ...

Will We Be Paid For This?
May 12, 2010

When we run out of jobs we get paid min wage.  Do you think we will get that for this.  I don't want to have to make up a whole day's worth of hours or use my PTO for this. ...

Not Paid
Jul 13, 2010

How do you get someone to pay you that has not paid you?  Getting really aggravated about this and don't know what to do.  I have been given every excuse in the book!  ...

Am I Getting Paid Enough?
Jul 16, 2010

I've been working with my company for almost a year now and i'm wondering if I should start looking around at other compaines. I graduated from M-Tec last summer and got a job about a month later, they started me at 0.055 cpl, then in December bumped me up to 0.06 cpl. Since then I have been getting paid the same, while working a lot more. I just want to know if this is good and I should just stick with it, or look somewhere else. Any advice is appreciated! ...

Help? I/we Cannot Get Paid.
Sep 13, 2010

I could really use some advice. I worked for a company for 6 months and then quit when accounts were being lost.  I am owed over $3000.00 (I quit over 6 months ago). I know of 2 other ICs who worked for this company and the total owed to all of us is over $10,000. We have been given every excuse in the book. We have been told the company has gone out of business, that a AmerAssist loan was being sought in order to pay us, etc. We have contacted the Sheriff's Department in her state abo ...

I/we Cannot Get Paid. Help??
Sep 13, 2010

I could really use some advice. I worked for a company for 6 months and then quit when accounts were being lost.  I am owed over $3000.00 (I quit over 6 months ago). I know of 2 other ICs who worked for this company and the total owed to all of us is over $10,000. We have been given every excuse in the book. We have been told the company has gone out of business, that a AmerAssist loan was being sought in order to pay us, etc. We have contacted the Sheriff's Department in her state abo ...

How Do QA Get Paid?
Dec 19, 2010

Just curious... how are QA paid?  Some are paid by the line and others are paid by the hour.. is there any other way? ...

Not Getting Paid ...
Jan 22, 2011

I accepted a part-time job to supplement my regular MT income a few weeks ago from a girl who was advertising here on MTStars.  It's been great, fairly easy work and an excellent extra income.  I guess I should have known it was too good to be true. I was expecting payment last week but am told she can't pay me until she gets paid.  Now, who in their right mind would hire people to do their work when they can't pay on a specific date?  Why would you hire some ...

How We Get Paid...
Feb 25, 2011

Does anybody wonder why we don't get paid by the hour like other highly-skilled secretaries and editors?  This line business is a joke!  Why should we get penalized for the bad dictation?  Many years ago, we had a client with dictators from ****.  I called up the director of medical records and apologized for all the blanks.  She told me not to worry about it.  She said she had a box of pens on her desk and she made the doctors take a pen and fill in all t ...

Paid By TTD?
Oct 28, 2011

Has anyone gotten paid by TTD for the most recent pay date (the 25th of this month)?  This is my first paycheck from them and I have not received it yet.  Wondering how long it usually takes? ...

Paid Yet
Mar 29, 2012

Anyone who had not received their pay 03/23 who has received it today please post here.  It would be nice to hear when and if you got paid. ...

NOT BEING PAID
Jul 14, 2012

STAY AWAY FROM PRECISE MEDICAL AND MEDIGRAFIX THEY WILL NOT PAY YOU. ...

Really, We Should Get Paid When
Jul 23, 2013

. . . we have to retype the entire VR job because it is 99% WRONG. It seems like it is getting worse instead of better.  The last week practically every job has every fifth word right but the rest is wrong.  At some point it quits being voice recognition and is pure transcription.  Any time we have to fix more than 10% of any job = straight typing.  And they wonder why we HATE VR?  It was nothing more than a ploy to get 50% of the MTs pay. ...

Did Anyone Else Not Get Paid?
Aug 08, 2013

My paycheck always shows up in my bank on the internet effective pending the Friday before we get paid, not today! I even checked with bank personally, and they show no signs of it.  Has payroll changed things? I guess I will wait to see if it shows up in bank tmrw, but this is odd it's not showing yet. ...

When Did Getting Paid To Do Your Job
Sep 11, 2013

a reward. Their definition of a reward is completely different than mine. I earn my pay, it is not a reward. Stupid #@#$%$#@#. ...

Don't Even Get Paid
May 15, 2014

Demographics in header is the part of the job I dislike the most, espcially if speaker types it in wrong and then I have to look up the patient and type in the number and name myself. This takes the most time, and that's the part where one doesn't even get paid. ...

How We're Paid Now
Jan 09, 2015

I'm not sure I understand the new pay rules. So there's 3 different criteria, line count or quantity, quality, and pending percentage. If we meet 1 criteria only, we get paid only 7 cents (or 3.5 cents editing), right? And if we meet all 3 criteria, is that 8 cents or 8.5 cents? ...

Do We Get Paid For This
Jun 25, 2015

nice short notice they gave ...

IC Not Getting Paid Timely.
Oct 21, 2009

Any ideas on what process to take when company 45 days behind in paying IC?  What measures can I take, if any? ...

Anyone Else Not Get Paid Yesterday?
Nov 26, 2009

This is the 3rd time in 6 months that my check has been late..... ...