A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can't understand dictations - Lorie

Posted: Jul 17, 2012

Hi!

I am currently taking my MT final. My problem is, I am having LOTS of trouble understanding some of the dictations. Is there any tips/tricks to help understand some words that are dictated?

Thanks!

nope - just time helps

[ In Reply To ..]
You will get used to them the more you do them. There is no tip when you cant understand. Dont guess though.

Understanding difficult dictators - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Try turning the volume down and think of what is supposed to go there. I am hearing impaired and use a SoundBlaster external sound card with Media Toolbox 6 software, which really helps with the sound.

There will always be dictations - that seem difficult

[ In Reply To ..]
But when you know what they are supposed to be saying, then the difficult dictations will no longer seem like random collections of unintelligible syllables.

There are two ways to increase your odds of knowing what they are supposed to be saying: 1) Experience, or 2) A top-notch training program.

Best of luck to you.

Usually they give you easy dictators - to suck you in

[ In Reply To ..]
Then they stick you on ESL accounts...just saying..which company btw?

It would appear that the OP is - not yet working

[ In Reply To ..]
as she says she is taking her MT final.

Well, I'd suggest continuing your learning with as - many easy-to-understand dictators as

[ In Reply To ..]
you can find.

The thing is, a month's experience with many reports will be much more beneficial, allowing you to get much more of that experience-building repetition that you have to have, than a month spent struggling for an hour over one consultation from a dictator you have to give up understanding, then doing it all over again and again for others.

Once you've internalized standard dictation patterns, then it's time to learn to apply that knowledge to more challenging work. Unfortunately, this is not the way most entry jobs work--most newbies are tossed into the deep end to sink or swim, but it's a terrible waste of the skills they do have to offer and cruel to them. Nobody makes any money while they are frantically splashing about, and it certainly doesn't get the work done.

Search googleMT with phrases or whole sentences - rather than single words

[ In Reply To ..]
It takes a bit of time and experience for the whole picture to come together. The first year of working is like still being in school, but with a little pay.

understanding dictators - eliz

[ In Reply To ..]
You might try slowing down the speed to see if you can pick up on part of it, then going back to real-time.

Here is what I do... - Tiredofit

[ In Reply To ..]
This may sound crazy but it sure helps me. When I am doing a difficult dictator or ESL I close my eyes and type while I listen. With the sense of sight gone you can pick up on sound more readily. Of course, you must stop and check what you typed afterwards, but it saves lots of blanks. Try it!

Much appreciated!! - Lorie

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to everyone to replyed to my post. Everyone has given me great and useful advice that I can definitely use. Thanks again!

Similar Messages:

25 Second Dictations
Apr 13, 2010

For the past 2 days, I have been on an account with very short dictations - clinic notes that average between 7 and 30 lines.  I am making less than minimum wage - it takes a certain amount of time just to do the ADT info and of course they are all ESL doctors.  I don't have a primary and I certainly hope this account doesn't end up as my primary.  Anyone have any tips on how to make money on these short little dictations? ...

Dictations
Mar 19, 2014

Why is it that not taken into the equation of our pay is the fact that most residents, PAs, CNP, CNM, etc., do not pronunciate, have correct grammar, or the fact that they just don't dictate adequately in general?  I spend way too much time looking up, confirming, trying to figure out what they are saying as they laugh, slur, set the phone down under paperwork while flipping through charts and sign papers (can hear this often), or constantly move the phone around where all I hear is cr ...

Kids In Dictations
Oct 24, 2009

I just got done with a job where for the last minute the kid kept saying "daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daaaaaddddy, daaaddddy... etc" for literally over a minute.  He just kept on talking like it was nothing.  I on the other hand was telling the kid to be quiet!!!  Don't think he heard me! ...

Dictations With Templates
Jan 14, 2013

When you have a dictation with a template that you have to pull in and it is ASR (why they ASR this is beyond me) do you hit the F11 to clear it out since it takes longer to move junk around. ...

Recording Dictations
Aug 02, 2013

Seriously, I wonder if there is a way to record these dictations. I would LOVE to hear for myself the "errors" QA/QC are always finding and putting into Fiesa. The fact that we are not provided with proof of these "errors" really concerns me. Please Nuance bigwigs, prove to me that QA/QC isn't making things up or hearing things wrong. Really, are we to believe that we are the only ones making mistakes, that they always have perfect hearing? I want proof! ...

Partial Dictations
Jun 22, 2014

I think all dictations at Nuance should be partial dictation worktype. Wtih "partial dictations, you don't have to do as much checking of demographics, figuring out date of service and filling that in, etc., and not having to pend and leave comments so mcuh. I notice I'm about 75 lines faster an hour when it's partial dictations because there's less outside-the-report activity to be done. This is extra activity we dont' even get paid for. After all, MTs are only paid ...

Mistakes In Normal Dictations
Jan 20, 2010

At my company (a smaller one) there are a lot of mistakes in the normal dictations that the doctors request.  The way they are created in the first place is the transcriptionist types up the report and sends it to QA saying the doctor would like to use this in the future for his normal, but I don't think they get reviewed by QA.  I think they just get created the way they are.  So if it was a right eye, the word right is there all the way through it.  If a word is misspe ...

Sample Dictations In Neuroradiology
Feb 02, 2010

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/smd/Rad/ndictation.htm#MR_Brain   ...

What Is With These Doctors Who Just Slur Through Their Dictations?
Apr 17, 2012

Oh my gosh.  It's driving me crazy.  I end up making about 8 dollars an hour trying to interpret these jerks. Why can't they slow down and realize the quality of what they're doing? ...

Cell Phone Dictations
Dec 29, 2012

As long as you (doc) dictate on a cell phone, I PROMISE to leave blanks in your reports!!  RIDICULOUS!  This company does not pay us enuf to struggle through that crap.  Blankity, blank, blank, blank... ...

Can Barely Hear Dictations
May 08, 2013

As of yesterday, I can barely hear some of the dictations. Am I the only one? I hate it when I have to struggle to make out what in the hell some rapidly-speaking ESL doctor is saying! ...

Foreign Doctor Dictations
Aug 28, 2013

Is anyone else at Nuance getting foreign doctor dictations constantly during their shift? I do not mind doing a few at a time but having to do a full shift of foreign doctors is getting very trying. Thanks! ...

Almost All The Dictations Suck Today
Jan 15, 2014

What is going on?  So far, almost all of the reports I've received have been murky, fuzzy, hard-to-understand dictations, the kind where it sounds like they've been dictated under water.  I can take one now and then. but when it's one after the other, it starts to get annoying.  ...

Great Dictations Make Me Sad : (
Apr 16, 2014

Every time I get a stellar report I go through the mourning process, because I know if they're great for me I won't be getting them again.  Bummer! ...

Fuzzy Dictations Today - Am I The Only One?
Mar 11, 2015

Almost all the dictations are coming through so muffled, I can't tell "S" from "F" and not even sure I'm hearing TIA correctly, which you'd think would be obvious.  The dictators themselves are okay, but the quality of the sound is really bad. ...

Short Dictations = Minimum Wage
Jul 13, 2012

Worked as an IC 20+ years. Now having to work for a service. The account I do rarely has a dictation longer than one minute. It takes It takes a LOT longer to research, log demographics than it does to actually transcribe. At home I did 1200 to 1800 lines a day. With this account I can't even do one third of that! The doctors apparently have no idea that their MTs are in different parts of the US, that we have to research the spelling of doctor's names, counties, cities, faciliti ...

SICK Of Retranscribing Whole SR Dictations For HALF PAY!!
Aug 01, 2012

Yeah, it came in like: "Within the belfry San Francisco heated the tripod and pumpkin blazed with endometriosis...." The WHOLE report didn't have three words consecutively that made the least bit of sense or had anything to do with what was dictated. "Fix" it?  You gotta be kidding.  Wipe it out and transcribe as dictated, you mean.  Oh, and here's your half line rate, thanks! You SR transcription companies MAKE ME SICK.   ...

Listening To Old Dictations And Error Message?
Apr 01, 2013

I tried to go back and listen to a dictation that I got docked on in fiesa. I got an error message saying I needed Active-X which I installed, but still cannot get the audio to play. Any suggestions? is there someone I should contact about this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! ...

DQS Taking A LONG Time To Download Dictations?
Aug 02, 2010

Is anyone having problems with DQS taking a LONG time to download dictations?  This is ridiculous! ...

I Need A Secure FTP Site To Send Completed Dictations!
Jun 30, 2013

WOO HOO! I landed a private account. I have looked online to find a reliable FTP server or the like for sending the completed files back to the clinic. Would any of you be so kind to let me know of reliable ones that are inexpensive or free? I'd be forever grateful!! Cruisinlady ...

Help On Loading Dictations From Windows Media Player To Express Scribe
Jan 26, 2011

I could use some help on loading dictations from Windows Media Player to ES They say ( .wpl ) is not supported ...

I Do Not Understand
Nov 16, 2009

She had a bright or right tube placed endengia? I can't figure it out. ...

I Understand What You're Saying, But......
Dec 29, 2009

What you say is true, BUT when 90% of your work is off-shored except for 10% and you barely have any work, and the work you have is 100% ESL (the absolute worst dictators ever) you make minimum wage.  The fact that I'm a much better MT than the ILPs does nothing to comfort me at this point when I have bills to pay. If you don't believe this scenario, then you have not experienced it.  Try being in SA3.  BTW, I'm scheduled for 24 hours per we ...

Okay, Please Help Me To Understand....
Sep 15, 2010

Everyone says with VR you can double your line count. I want to know what was their line count typing? On my account, I can type anywhere from 250 to 300 lines in an hour. I've been doing VR now for almost 2 months. I'm editing around 300 lines in an hour, however, I'm being paid 50% less. I was told I would not have to work MORE hours to make the same, but would work the SAME hours and make more. I have an extensive autocorrect and use it a lot. I'm finding that many of the ...

Cannot Understand This
Oct 09, 2010

this is what it sounds like but makes no sense to me. can any one help. "Some low muffler quantative abdominal tenderness to deep palpation." ...

I Don't Understand
Dec 01, 2011

An 84 year old monitored for diagnoses of renal failure, anemia and hypertension. 586, 285.9, 403.90. It seems to me that the last code should be 401.90. I don't understand why the code 403.9 was selected.  The guidelines say you should "assign codes from category 403, hypertensive chronic kidney disease, when conditions classified to category 585 are present." There is only the 586, renal disease, present in this scenario. Can anybody tell me why a 403 code is appropriate here? ...

Let Me Understand This
Apr 14, 2012

So Amy will have four (4) one-on-One sessions each month.  But she will be going on maternity LOA (Leave of Absence) and will actually conduct six (6) sessions this month. Rules: Each month, if any of the US regional or India winners of  the 'MT of the Month' are  interested in a one-on-one session, they will be entered into a lottery and two will be chosen (one US, one India) for an automatic slot for that month.   To express interest for th ...

I Really Don't Understand Why
May 30, 2012

so many people on here have been looking for a position for months. It's not THAT difficult to find a job on here. I applied to a lot of places and heard back from just about all of them. What are you doing wrong that you can't find one when I found at least 10 of them? Perhaps you should all revamp your resumes?   ...

Can't Understand PA
Sep 15, 2012

Patient with trigger fingers. Patient was given injections into the A1 pulley of the 3rd digit - "Patient tolerated the injection well and without complaint. Following the injection, he did verbalize some relief of the discomfort. I went on to explain to the patient that this was merely a procedure done to try to *"mil-u-right"* some of the symptoms, however, I strongly recommended that he consider undergoing a redo right 3rd trigger finger release".   ...

Something I Just Do Not Understand
Apr 09, 2013

You know, I have worked in a health care facility ever since I graduated from college.   My supervisors have always tried to foster a spirit of teamwork -- how we all, working together, can accomplish the goals set out for us.  As a result, I believe in building people up, not tearing them down.  And I have seen such GREAT examples of that here.  When I first posted on this board, I was so upset about a job decision I had made that I was ready to quit, and with the ...