A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

According to Monster we're doing it all wrong - yeah right

Posted: Jun 27, 2014

I got an email from Monster today that said what we are supposed to do is job hop, see? We stay with a company for about three years and then we go to another company where we can command a greater salary, see?  If we stay where we are we'll have to keep settling for these measly 3% raises (I'm laughing as I type this, haven't had a raise in many years), oh no, if we job hop, at the next company we can expect to start out at a much higher level than what we are making right now and expect more like 5% raises! I'm so glad I got that email, how informative!

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS THE WAY TO DO IT - But it is exactly as I did it

[ In Reply To ..]
I started in the U.S. Army in 1972, five years later, I went to work at a national sporting goods firm (office), then I went back to MT at the Vetarans Administration, then I went to a local hospital, when they closed, I went to another local hospital, followed by a teaching hospital, and now I am at the other major teaching hospital where I have been for 22 years. Each time I changed jobs I started at a higher salary than the one I was leaving. Now the caveat is that I have only worked in Pathology, but I have been doing it for over 30 years. I plan to retire from here and have had continuous annual raises, the last one in June 2014. I'm sorry about the plight of MT and the negative experiences a lot of us have had. I have had nothing but positive experiences but I also have never worked from home or for an agency.

Dislikes? - Why......

[ In Reply To ..]
What is there to dislike about this response??????

Hormones - I guess

[ In Reply To ..]
har...har...
Sexist...not funny - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
could be humor like that helps maintain an atmosphere of unseriousness, and thus low pay, for women across the board.

because she does not understand - our situation

[ In Reply To ..]
Sure if there was an inhouse job in my area, I'd try to get it. Then I'd get decent pay and benefits too and have a chance to move up. But there isn't, and hasn't been in a long time, an inhouse job in my area, and I can't just up and move to NY to get one.

no offense to "I Didn't Know" - - beulah

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm truly glad it's worked out for you so well, but I just don't know anyone in that situation anymore. Most people I know are struggling. It is phenomenal that you have been able to work at several hospitals -- so then, are you in a big city? I wouldn't mind being in your shoes!

but this is a forum for MTs who - work from home

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, we know all about your stellar career, but you simply cannot relate to our situation. There are no (I repeat NO) inhouse jobs in my area, and I do not have the luxury of picking up and moving to another state for one of the few remaining inhouse jobs left in the country. For us, it is a matter of trying to find a decent MTSO or changing careers completely. Comparing your situation to ours is like apples to oranges.

I did not know this was a forum for MTs who work from home ONLY - I am the original response to the post about monst

[ In Reply To ..]
I had the opportunity to work from home about 10 years ago and I decided it wasn't for me, so I never tried it. I always wanted to work inhouse and I did. I worked at various hospitals so I could see how it was done differently from one institution to another. I did stay at each one log enough to be vested in their retirement. I am not in the sam situation as you but I do understand and I wish yours was as positive as mine. I work in the St Louis MO area, it is considered a big city, I guess. We understand transcription has changed and can see that change will be coming here as well. One of my coworkers retired last month after workign here, in pathology exclusively for 45 years as a transcriptionist. I have 2 year left to work and I plan to retire as well. I have been blessed, I get it, but I do believe the practice of working from home, which so many of us WANTED to do, was our downfall. I won't apologize for my experience but if it makes you feel good to dislike mine and verbally put me down because of it, have at it.
we know - we know
[ In Reply To ..]
how successful you have been. I made 50K at my inhouse job before the hospital closed, and I'm telling you there ARE NO INHOUSE positions in my area. Am I supposed to tell my husband we should sell the farm and pull up stakes so I can take a $16 an hour job in White Plains NY? You cannot understand our situation.
What is so difficult to understand about this - I am not saying you should do anything
[ In Reply To ..]
I am simply stating what my current situation is. This is not a competition, nor should it be a beat up on someone who is not having the same experience as yourself. I do not understand why this has to be an adversarial discussion. I'm sure you know our current position is going to end and I bet yours did not end the same time as some of your peers here. Eventually I will be where you are, it is just a matter of time, is it wrong for me to enjoy it as long as I can. By the way on the page I see where it says "MT Stars - A Community of US Medical Transcriptionists," I'm taking that to me me as well.
the point of my original post - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
was that the Monster article says I should job hop to success, but as an MT, there is no place for me to hop to. Yes I suppose I could hop from one MTSO to the next, but they are virtually all the same and there is little to no potential for advancement in any of them. You telling us that is what you DID to get where you are is all well and good, but it is in the past. There's very little opportunity to do so now.
There was nothing at all difficult - to understand
[ In Reply To ..]
We understood your boasting and gloating perfectly well. Thank you for rubbing our faces in the wonderfulness that is you. You didn't really need to shout. We get it. You are sooooo much better than we are. Good for you.
SAD - Your feeling sorry for yourself is simply SAD
[ In Reply To ..]
Life is usually the result of the choices we have made. Keep feeling sorry for yourself and you will get the same results you have gotten. SAD!!!! (Really shouting this time)
there is no talking to you - original poster
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't post the one about your boasting, but I will say this: You have no grasp of the situation, none whatsoever. I may as well try to talk to my friend the legal assistant or my friend the research associate; I think they understand the state of MT about as well as you do. And I'll say this too before I sign off: If I was an inhouse MT I wouldn't spend a minute hanging out here.
No, of course not - But you could try not
[ In Reply To ..]
being so bitter and hateful. There ARE still good transcription jobs available. Instead of being jealous the poster has one, maybe you can get off your behind and find one of your own?

Where does it say that? - This is for all MTs

[ In Reply To ..]
as far as I know.
it says it right up there on the tab - on your browser
[ In Reply To ..]
MTStars - Work at Home Medical Transcriptionists
No it doesn't. Nowhere on my screen says that. nm - clear reader
[ In Reply To ..]
xxxxx
yes it does - on the tab
[ In Reply To ..]
close out the message you are reading and click on the main board button. Up at the top, in the tab in your browser, it says MTStars - Work At Home Medical Transcriptionists.
Well if that isn't grasping at straws. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
hahah if you want to call it that - but it does say that
[ In Reply To ..]
And I believe it was the original intent of this forum to be for work at home MTs.

agreed - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been putting jobs together piecemeal like for years now. Right now I have one (just one) MD I transcribe for at home and the pay works out to less than min wage when he does send work (feast or famine type of thing we all know too well) and one PT in house job I found about six months ago. They hired two PT MTs to avoid benefits I'm sure. The other MT is in nursing school and left MM. The pay while good for this area is probably nothing like we were paid in years past for in house work, but I am so grateful for that job. Even with the two jobs I look for work every day. My husband recently asked me "how many jobs do you need?" I said just one good one. This forum helps me so much when I have a career question or just to vent. Thank you all for everything.

I bet they still think - beulah

[ In Reply To ..]
everybody can get a pension, too. And 3-week vacations. And a company car.

Have they actually set foot in this country in the past 10 years?

Well, I take that back -- their advice probably works for CEOs and upper-upper management types -- like about 1% of our population...

Oviously they do not know anything about producion pay. We're not - hourly - difference is onions and oranges.

[ In Reply To ..]
these companies are paying a percentage of what they get from the account which is locked in for the duration of the account contract with the MTSO. CPLs stay all around the same and keep going down because many MTSOs are in a bidding war to get that account signed on contract. If an MTSO wins their contract for say 10 cpl where all others bid 12 - you will be paid according to that 10 cpl and probably will end up with 6 cpl. How do you figure a raise out of this? We are not part of what the mtso takes in as a whole - like working hourly for a hospital or grocery store, etc. Quitting one job over a period of 3 years will make no difference. You are paid out of the income from the one account you work on.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Local To Valhalla, NY? Med Sec Job At WMC Via Monster.
Jun 09, 2013

. ...

IMedX Is The New Monster Company
Jan 08, 2014

They acquire smaller companies and then treat the acquired ICs like dirt.  ...

Looks Like Frankenstein's Monster Is Back To Life,...we Shall See
May 21, 2010

x ...

It's A Real Shame That These Big, Bad Monster MTSOs-
Feb 26, 2015

have to offer sign-on incentives to get MTs to apply for work. Obviously they aren't real up on what is being said on these boards about their company and could care less as long as clients are lining their pocket with the money. As long as we work for slave wages nothing is going to change. I am in the same boat as a lot of the MTs, barely getting by. I just had to say... this is my 2 cents worth ...

MMMModal's Ad From Monster. Check It Out. Their Claim Of Respect Makes Me-
Feb 05, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist About the Job         We invite you to join the most talented and knowledgeable workforce in the business by introducing M*Modal, the new brand of our industry-leading technology organization. Together, the combination of our collective organizations – MedQuist, Spheris, CBay, M*Modal, Poiesis and others – will enhance the power of clinical documentation to improve patient care.   M*Modal is currently seeking medical trans ...

Good Sites To Search For Coder Jobs Besides Monster And Careerbuilder?
Mar 07, 2012

Anybody know? ...

What's Wrong With Me??
May 12, 2010

I just got offered a new job with a local transcription company. I'll be making more money, no set hours, get the work done when I want to get it done as long as it is done by the next day.  The interviewer actually looked at me confused saying "if you are getting paid by productivity, why do you have set hours to work?" I had no answer.....anyhoo, the only draw back is that I have to purchase my own equipment....why am I still hesitant to leave MQ? My only explanation I have is after ...

Here's How I Know Something Is Wrong......
Oct 06, 2010

Okay, so I finally actually got an hour's worth of my "primary" - an account I know like the back of my hand....In the past, I KNOW after working so many years on this account almost EXACTLY how  much I can make in 1 full hour of working nonstop, no interruptions, etc.... So, I did the same hour, same account, and in the past I made about 10 bux more per hour doing this same work.  So something is fishy.  It can't be ALL because of the new DQS 6.1 issues.......I can ...

What Did I Do Wrong?
Dec 19, 2010

I am a new grad and had a phone screen with MedQuist last week. They seemed all gung-ho about hiring me until the phone screen. After that I got an email that said my background did not match their needs. I'm wondering what I did to change things. The only thing I can think of is that I said part time. Maybe they wanted me to say full time??? I am really in need of a job-any job. I was thinking they were going to be my best luck. Now I'm really worried I won't find anything soon ...

What Is Wrong With Me
Jul 09, 2011

I really need feedback on this.  I have been an MT for over 25 years.  I am still pretty young (middle age).  I have nothing wrong with me physically or mentally. Yet, I hate my job!  I have a job with a bigger MTSO, but I am getting less and less in my pay b/c my main account runs out of work often and I get the secondary which is not easy on demographics, and has bad dictators.  This is a job which is an employee job and it looks like my pay is decreasing weekly a ...

I Was So Wrong
Aug 12, 2011

Months ago when I first started researching this line of work I found myself on this forum, and a few others, and I was somewhat put off by the widely negative view of the profession. There was so much complaining about how difficult it was, how meager the compensation is, etc. I thought so many of you were just being pessimistic- to put it politely. I thought to myself, "It's just sitting here typing all day. I do that already! How cool would it be to get payed for it!" And today? Today I ...

Maybe Im Doing Something Wrong,,,am I The Only One?
Nov 20, 2011

OK..So a doctor dictates something, usually it is initials for something like I just had OU tele unit,,what the heck is that??  So me I go searching because I always like to verify things I know I heard them say but personally have never heard of it..That goes for everything drug names, conditions, etc.  Should I just be typing exactly what they say and to heck with it if it is wrong?  Kind of like one boss from an old company said garbage in garbage out??  Im a perfectionist ...

Does This Seem Wrong To You?
Dec 13, 2011

I am currently per-diem with a company that requires per-diems to work 2 holidays a year and we have to phone in to beg for work (0.7 cpl) BUT we are not included in any bonuses or the holiday gift card because we are only per-diems.  We make money for the company and are reimbursed at a pauper's rate with no other benefits but we aren't even included in a tiny holiday gift card.  Feels like a huge slap in the face.  Is it even legal to require a "per-diem" with no guara ...

This Is Just Wrong
Dec 13, 2011

So, I lost my job. First, they went AWOL for 4 work days. I sat at my computer for 8 hours every one of those days, no work, nobody answering me. Finally, they called and said they were terminating employment due to "low line counts".   I found that funny since my line counts improved since the first month of employment, and at my lowest line count during that time, they gave me a raise and said how great I was doing. It was only after I told them to pay me minimum wage that they suddenly ...

I Am NOT WRONG
Mar 01, 2012

First of all, at least 95% of the management that runs KS is ALL family. For being there 9 years, you better check more of your facts, as I know for a fact that there are cousins, nieces, sister-in-law, sisters, brother-in-law, just off the top of my head. If you knew what you were looking for, you CAN find out how much they make. Maybe you should try polishing up your research skills. You can say what you want, but I know better. People can choose to believe me or not believe me; that ...

This Is So Wrong.
Apr 04, 2013

Instead of asking the part-timers if they would like to be full-time, they fire them?  Yet, there are still openings for new hires?  There is nothing about this that has the ring of truth.   My sympathies to all of you today.   ...

What Am I Doing Wrong?
Dec 28, 2013

Hello, Let me start by telling my fellow MTs what I am doing. Please point me in right direction, because I can't figure out where I have gone wrong. My job is ending as the small company I work for doesn't have enough work.  I don't have unemployment as a backup since I have been subcontracting clinic work for the past 4 years. This has been my only MT job. I am limited on what I have applied for because I have no acute care experience, only clinic transcription.  I ...

How Can MM ASR Be So Wrong?!!?
May 30, 2014

Dictated: Positive diarrhea. Ouptut: No constipation. Huh???? It already can't get preoperative ands postoperative diagnosis correct, and number recognition is worse than ever. What the heck?? Of course, add to that the added text that was never dictated, the omission of clearly spoken text and making headings randomly. And supposedly the software will learn "if we all get on the same page" (to quote a certain QAM). A mantra that wants to make me scream as the proof tha ...

What's Wrong With TTS?
Oct 06, 2014

All the complaints and dislikes for TTS?  I honestly want to know as I am considering applying with them.  For those of you who like it there can you tell me what it is you like about it?  What's the pay like, workload etc.  Are they flexible with scheduling?  What are the benefits like?  Are benefits affordable?   Thanks! ...

What Is Wrong With These People?
Jun 11, 2010

A 7-year-old boy was murdered by the Taliban in an apparent act of retribution this week. Afghan officials said that the child was accused of spying for U.S. and NATO forces and hanged from a tree in southern Afghanistan. Daoud Ahmadi, the spokesman for the provincial governor of Helmand, said that the killing happened days after the boy's grandfather, Abdul Woodod Alokozai, spoke out against militants in their home village. Ahmadi said: "His grandfather is a tribal elder in the village a ...

Found Out What's Is Wrong With (at Least Some) Of Us.
Aug 01, 2010

In my quest to improve SOMETHING, I stumbled across "job burnout."  I think it is my problem and wanted to share. "A strong signal that the burnout victim is sliding into an existential crisis of meaninglessness is evident when the person's statements about work are cloaked with a "so what?" or "why bother?" attitude. This is particularly striking among burnout victims who were once very enthusiastic and dedicated." There is some very good information and might be helpful.  At ...

What's Wrong With This Picture?
Jun 30, 2011

I just can't understand it.  For the past 2 weeks my line counts have been slowly dropping below the 1200 daily quota.  Feeling the need to make up some lines, I crammed the work yesterday, going as fast as I can, still maintaining quality, proof reading each document, etc.  I was excited to see how much I did.  A measly 1400 lines.  What the?  It was about 1/3 straight typing, 2/3 ASR.  Even when on 100% straight typing I used to do 200+ lines p ...

Is It Wrong To Ask The Pay Rate?
Sep 06, 2011

I've recently been contacted to test with a company and was told what they pay during their training period but not once you are released to send work directly to the client.  Upon asking (for a low/high range) I was told I have to test first.  I've been this route before only to have wasted my time being offered something like 6 or 7 cpl for an IC position.  Am I really out of line wanting to know what I might be getting into before taking the time to test? ...

Done Wrong By MQ And I Just Want To Puke When I See Them Run An Ad!
Nov 23, 2011

nm ...

Now, Class....Can Anyone Tell Me What Is Wrong Here? Sm
Dec 10, 2011

His CT of the head did not show dyspareunia. ...

Wrong Patient Name
Mar 09, 2012

A few days ago I got back a warning message from my company stating that the doc had keyed in the wrong medical record number, but did say that patient's correct name. It's a major error, so my first and last warning. I feel so terrible and am thinking of quitting. I have a hard time with this, as I am very, very careful with names and am thinking of asking to hear the voice recording again. Do you think it's rude for me to ask?  Do companies let you do that? I really think t ...

I Need Work!!! What Am I Doing Wrong?????
Mar 26, 2012

Why can I not find a job? What am I doing wrong?? I need a job like yesterday? I have been a transcriptionist for 16 odd years, both in-hospital, and at home. I am an extremely hard worker, motivated, etc., etc.  I'm dedicated, loyal, aaahhhggg!!! I'm venting, but also want to know if it is just me, or.....? If anyone has any suggestions, or know of an opening somewhere, please, please tell me.  And, of course, I do not own a FOOT PEDAL.  The company I WAS with provided ...

Wrong Characters
May 15, 2012

I am desperate for any solutions to this problem and I am hoping some kind individual can offer advice. When I am typing in the platform I use, report will be going welll when suddenly the wrong characers start typing.  This does not happen in my own documents such as Word Pad.  The problem seems to be only in the platform I am using for transcription.   Has anyone experienced something similar?  Solution?   Many thanks in advance.   ...

What Is Wrong With Some People?!
Nov 30, 2012

They read a post, misunderstand it because they FAILED to read the post to which it responded AND they failed to even read the whole post, and then they respond with a hateful, attacking post? It gets really tiring to have to respond to someone who not only didn't read my whole post, but who has no clue what's going on in the thread.  Yes, yes, it's their right, and I'm sure it'll never stop, but we as MTs are supposed to have better reading comprehension than this ...

What Is Wrong With People?
Jan 09, 2013

I have admittedly not been on this board until recently, so I don't know if there were ever really better times.  I just got acquired by Nuance and came on to see if it really is just as bad for everyone as it was for me, to help me decide if I should quit and go somewhere else, and I'm just shocked by what I see.  SO many nasty people jumping on other people for no reason and doing anything they can to start an argument and keep it going as long as possible.  If you nee ...