A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

our stuff is coded all over the hospital, and they are not coders - confused

Posted: Apr 23, 2013

Hey Everybody! I am in an entry-level coding position. I work at a very small rural hospital. I'm trying to figure out how things work and wrap my brain around the whole "cycle." So...here's where I'm puzzled. I ask different questions like, well, who does the E/M coding and the radiology coding and the pathology coding, etc. It just seems that there are many people who do lots of the coding in the hospital. I just want to know if this is normal. One person does inpatient coding, and she also does all of the outpatient procedures. And...utilization review does our observation time on the observation charts. Billing does our CPT coding (? huh). I want to branch out and do more than just the ancillary reports, so when I ask well, who does what, it seems it's done somewhere else in the hospital, and they are not coders. We are going live on Epic very shortly, and apparently, some of the nurses are even sitting for some of the coding classes. Can anyone shed some light on this? Just confused. That's all. Love the job and the experience is invaluable.

Yes it IS normal. You want it to be that way. - MT2Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
This is normal for a facility. It is not something you should worry about . . . it does NOT mean that there are fewer jobs for coders, or that coding jobs are going away, or anything like that.

Most of those things are uncomplicated coding. Same thing over and over. (Yawn!) You wouldn't want to do it anyway, or at least not for long. About a week of it and you'd be climbing the walls.

Please don't associate this with Epic or EHRs in general. There is no cause-effect happening here. Nothing that will take jobs away from coders.

Your facility is not likely to have any E/M coding. That is because the physicians who come to your hospital have their own offices who code and bill their services. They usually do their operative procedures, their E/M, and everything else. That is why a hospital that has 200 doctors on staff does not need 20 coders . . . their coders work for the doctors directly.

Path and radiology often do their own because they are not actually part of your facility. Their physicians work for their own practices, i.e., a path group or a radiology group. They might work at your hospital, but are not necessarily employees of your hospital. Their offices are managed by their managers and they employ their own coders.

Facilities also use "chargemasters." These are, basically, automated systems that tally up charges, including CPT codes. That is how it happens that billing "does" the CPT coding.

If you have one coder doing inpatient and all outpatient procedures, that tells me your facility is quite small. Larger facilities might have 10 or more inpatient coders and several outpatient procedure coders.

Right now, you seem to be concerned that you are seeing all sorts of other people doing coding and that you aren't seeing the jobs you think coders should have.

The problem is not that there aren't jobs, but that you can't see them. There ARE coders doing that work or that are behind that work, but you can't see them because they aren't sitting in your coding area. They might not even be employed by your facility.

But, they ARE there. Coders set up all those systems for those other people to use. Even if doctors do their own E/M, their path and rad coding, and even if nurses are taking classes for whatever it is they are coding, A CODER IS BEHIND THEM. Some coder sets up and maintains those systems. And some coder audits the coding in those systems.

thank you, thank you, thank you - confused

[ In Reply To ..]
You have put my fears to rest. I do understand the "flow" much better! I appreciate the time you took to understand where I am coming from and to work me through my confusion.

System - Also confused

[ In Reply To ..]
Why would you ask someone who has never set foot in your facility how your facility runs? Wouldn't it be better to ask someone in one of the coding areas where you work how things are done? Then, you thank a total stranger for her explanation, whatever.
A total crazy stranger - Too nm
[ In Reply To ..]
X
Could be that I am a - Total Crazy Stranger
[ In Reply To ..]
But is more likely that you aren't a coder. Or, if you think you are a coder, you don't know as much as you think you do.

The explanation I provided was pretty much industry-standard. That is just the way it is likely to be, given what she told us.

Thanks for the new screen name, by the way. I like it!

My thoughts - Crazier than you
[ In Reply To ..]
I am sure that you know everything that there is to know, and yes I am a coder. However, I would never tell a stranger how the facility where she works does things. Part of the reason for my reply was to try to get the OP to do her own research instead of depending on replies from people on a message board who may or may not know all the details. It's good PR and an excellent way for the OP to introduce herself to others in her workplace.

Thank you for asking the question! - WWW

[ In Reply To ..]
I am finding coders all over the hospital, in many different departments! Plus lots of nurses doing "coder-like" jobs. I have been wondering what is going on with that too.

As far as why you asked the question here -- well, this is a coding forum for people to discuss coding and ask questions so it seems perfectly logical to me. I don't know about you, but we are busy at work. REALLY BUSY. As much as I would like to be able to sit down with my supervisor and discuss workflow concerns, that simply is not possible due to the workload of everyone in the department. With most coders working offsite as well, it makes it difficult to ask another coworker. Don't take the cranky responses to heart. I'm not sure why people come here if they don't want to discuss coding. At least they didn't tell you to read the archives. ;)

I just started with a healthcare facility that also will be - teaching me coding and Im not a coder. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
They also use EPIC.

Wow, what a great opportunity for you! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm.
Yes, it will be. - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
Granted I will not be working as a "coder" per se, but they will be teaching me as much of it as I need to know to perform my job. This is a big organization and they believe in cross-training their employees. They train their medical office assistants on-site among other things. They offer many opportunities for advancement and pay for your schooling. This probably does not belong on the coding board, but the original post caught my eye. I typically dont post here.

Similar Messages:

More AAPC Chapter Meeting Stuff - Various Roles Of Coders
May 31, 2010

Here are some things I learned about the various types of coding. They tried to interview coders who do each kind of coding as they went along. (I was taking notes as fast as I could and trying to understand. Anyone who REALLY knows please feel free to correct my understanding! I am including these notes as they were of great interest to me as a potential coding student.) 1. Technical component and Professional component. They illustrated the distinction this way: In interventional radiology t ...

QA Is So Confusing With All That Color Coded Crap
May 17, 2014

when you click on an error,  I would logically have assumed that would take you to the spot where the error is in the text.   Nope.  It may,  maybe,  go to the spot in the voice job, but not in the text. How in the world does anyone learn from their mistakes here????  This color-coded crap is way too confusing, the screen in Emdat is way too small to see anything properly, and I have a laundry list of other complaints but that would take too long to print here ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

New Stuff
Oct 13, 2009

How do you get the new stuff. Can't see anything earlier than 10/08 on the boards. ...

When Someone QAs Your Stuff......
Feb 14, 2011

Hi - when QA gives you feedback on a blank you had, are they supposed to (ethically is it proper) for them to continue on and reprimand you, for example,  with "I did find the same thing you blanked at Google.  You need to go to Google." or are they supposed to just correct, and then have your account manager talk to you?   Thanks! ...

ASR - How Does It Come Up With This Stuff?
Mar 19, 2012

ASR:  "She could not tolerate beta blockers or recent hamburgers for cardiomyopathy."   Dictated:  "She could not tolerate beta blockers or ACE inhibitors for cardiomyopathy."  ...

Where Is MM ASR Getting This Stuff??!
Jan 31, 2013

I just got a report where words were added that were essentially a diagnosis that could match the symptoms and treatment the patient had, but THE DOCTOR NEVER SAID THAT! Talk about adding words! Now MM ASR is diagnosing patients along with all the other extra words it adds. At least this string of words was obvious, but there are a lot of little care-changing words added that could be missed. It's amazing what it makes out of thin air when the doctor isn't dictating as it's ge ...

I Am Getting All New Stuff Today...sm.
Oct 19, 2009

first is open smart stitch sutures correct as is? and second is it times 2 or x2?  Never had this before. :-). tia.   ........This was treated with a subacromial decompression and repair of the rotator cuff using the open smart stitch sutures x 2. ...

FUNNY STUFF
Apr 22, 2010

The patient had been trying to wean himself sexually from the PCA. ...

Wow I Like How All The WMX Stuff Disappeared. Nm
Sep 19, 2010

nm ...

Legal MM Stuff
May 06, 2014

Hi all, Sorry if this has been discussed, but I don't come around here much anymore because I left about 2 years ago. However, I keep getting legal mumbo-jumbo paperwork regarding their bankruptcy. Do I need to do anything? I really can't quite decipher all this stuff, but I want to make sure I don't get summoned or something---unless they have a million dollars for me. Are you all just tossing it? Thanks! ...

I Just Want To Know How This Stuff Gets Printed
Dec 10, 2014

ARS: round ligament could not be seen or identified, did not seem to be coming "off a rope swing." Dictated: round ligament could not be seen or identified, did not seem to be coming "through." Clearly dictated, no slur, no pause, no nothing. Where does this come from? It is no longer funny, it's pretty darned sad. This program has been training for at least 10 years that I can remember, probably more ...

I Will Never Understand How Looking At QC Stuff
Jan 30, 2015

in FIESA is supposed to help my quality if I CAN'T go back and relisten to what I missed. I don't like taking somebody's else's word for it and I certainly don't like putting my initials that I reviewed it. If I missed it, I would be the first to admit it, but I don't ever really know if I missed something or not. I know it doesn't count against the QA score, but it's still aggravating. Sometimes, being able to listen a second time would make everything cl ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

Legal Stuff For MTs--employees And ICs
Apr 26, 2010

I've read several of the posts regarding MTSOs requiring MTs to complete HITECH training on their own time, work over 40 hours without reporting it, or forcing ICs to adhere to a schedule, etc.  Although not an attorney, I'm very close to an employment attorney, and here is a summary of the laws.  Please check out the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) under www.dol.gov and check out your own state specifically.    EMPLOYEE STATUS:  1.  It is ...

If This Is ASR How Does It Make Up Such Believable Stuff
Aug 05, 2012

Like if your in a report that normally uses certain phrases and the doctor hesitates and says NOTHING for awhile, the ASR is putting in headings or text that could go with the report..its crazy...and this ASR with DCQ7 SUCKS ROYALLY...worse then the last version by a mile and a half...Progress huh? ...

Head's Up People With This PTO Stuff
Aug 06, 2013

something is about to blow up. Can't put my finger on it just yet, but be prepared. ...

Throwing Bad Stuff Back!
Jan 27, 2014

It is so frustrating to be working when only a few others are working and having the job#'s progressively increase, but then have a really horrible dictator's file come in that was hundreds of jobs before the rest in your box!  In other words, being thrown back. If you have your client set to show TAT, you can see it in the TAT too!  Like file 1 being at 18:05, file 2 being at 18:05, file 3 being at 18:03, but then file 4 being at 16:55.  If this happened with any of t ...

When Did Freedom Type Get Into Legal MT Stuff?
Nov 18, 2009

Saw an ad for legal transcription from Freedom Type.  When did they start doing that? ...

Scarey Stuff I Find When Going Through Docqmanage
Jan 21, 2013

After a surgery..Patient instructed to get up and work...Dang they are getting pushy in the hospitals today...And I guess the patient is a he-she cause sometimes is a male, sometimes its a female...Who does this stuff? ...

Do QA Percentages Include The Stuff That Is Out Of Our Control?
Jan 21, 2013

I'm an ex-Transcender and when I was approving my time sheet this morning I noticed that my time sheet said my percentage sent to QA was 20.2%.  I have NOT sent this many reports to QA as blanks, but have sent a lot of stuff due to discrepancies, no demographics match, no dictation, etc.  Are they seriously counting stuff that we have NO control over against us for purposes of denying bonuses?  I asked my TSM if that would be the case after we got news of the new pay cuts and ...

Failing Audit Stuff Has Stopped
Apr 28, 2014

that the failing audit stuff has stopped. Was this an effort to get us to slow way the heck down so they could lower our PTO rate? ...

Imedx Stuff Your Screaming TRANSCRIPTION ERRORS
Apr 02, 2015

Maybe added to the fact that we are now working on 3 or 4 accounts which are unfamiliar, you will recognize that just maybe the facilities are seeing more errors and becoming frustrated because the work is being sent to India where they are seriously less familiar with the account specifics than MTs who worked an account regularly and reliably up until it was taken away.  ...

Ok, I Have Not Read Completely Through This Stuff Happening But I Have A Question About The Drop In
Mar 04, 2010

I have not seen how long our pay would be dropped the 3 cents.  Am I missing something?  Is it just that pay period or the next week or what?  I just don't see that.  I spoke up and am having a conference call with the "team" tomorrow and I really would like to know how long our pay would be deducted.  Peronally I can't afford to have my pay deducted and if you can (mq mts), then you are lucky.  I have not had a pay raise in 9 years and all of this is goin ...

Am I Being A Jerk, Or Is Anyone Else Annoyed The MM Coding Stuff Was Moved To This Board?
Mar 22, 2014

I've already been through school with Andrews and am getting ready to start the transition ICD-10 course, and I honestly don't mean to be a jerk about M modal.  I do feel badly for the MTs there, but I don't see why all the MM coding talk couldn't have just stayed with the MM side of the board.  Anyone else feel the same? ...

Hello Coders!
Dec 21, 2009

Where are you all?  Enjoying your work?  ...

The Best Coders
Jan 31, 2010

I would love to get the point of view of others on this topic. I've been watching coders for years, our graduates and others. I've found from my own experience that the best coders are people who enjoy more structure than one might find in medical transcription, for example. People who enjoy accounting, bankers, medical office managers, many nurses, and sometimes burned-out MTs. If you have 10 medical transcriptionists transcribe a report, you may have that many different versions, ea ...

For VA Coders
Jan 18, 2012

requirements say that education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  If we did not attend an accredited school, can we still apply?  It says applicants must only report attendance or degrees from such.  So, don't bother reporting if you didn't attend an accredited school?  How's that work? ...

Coders-is There A Way
Jan 22, 2012

to check out coding and what it is all about before going through a course. I am interested in doing coding but am unsure if it is right for me. Thank you for your thoughts and input. ...