A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Note to all companies looking for MTs - sm - For all MTs

Posted: Feb 09, 2011

I took a test for a large national, well-known, jumped through all the hoops - applied, tested, waited for test results, waited some more for phone interview, only to find out that this particular position could not start working until 11 a.m.  This is the sort of information that should be supplied on a website.  This was a deal-breaker for me and had I known this ahead of time, I never would have wasted my time (OR THEIRS) by going through the whole process.

There should be a form for every company with just basic information - jobs open and information about that job and what it entails including hours, benefits, lines required, types of work, etc., so that the MT can make an informed decision about whether to apply BEFORE wasting everyone's time.  The biggest secret of them all is pay.  Surely a range can be given for that as well. 

Why in heaven's name would everyone waste their precious time applying to positions they might not be qualified for, be interested in, etc., if certain questions could be answered ahead of time?

Kudos to the companies who do this (and there are a few).  You saved yourself MANY headaches but thinking ahead and answering a lot of questions before the MT or you waste your time.  Shame on everyone else for not doing this.

You should've asked before bothering to test. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I always which shifts are available, the pay range, if they pay for spaces, etc., before I ever bother to test. Yes, it would be nice if they'd mention that in their ads, but if they don't it's definitely worth asking about before wasting everyone's time!

take responsibility; find out all info. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not All Companies---sm - alias

[ In Reply To ..]
will give out that kind of information UNTIL you test. When applying to several companies in the past, I always took it upon myself to ask prior to testing, the type of information suggested here. I was ALWAYS told.."test first and then we will talk specifics." It was like they wanted to know if the applicant was even worth it to give the needed info to. I agree that we should be told the specifics ahead of time, because sometimes the testing process can be lengthy and time consuming. I too do not know why the position has to be so secret prior to testing. It is not always because the MT did not ask first, it is sometimes because the company will not give up that info prior to testing.

I have always been told the same thing, to test first - and then find out details - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I've had to turn down 2 jobs because of this practice. One wouldn't show me a copy of their contract until after I tested. When they emailed it to me, it had clauses in it that were terrible, so I asked them about it and was told "Sign first THEN we'll discuss it." No way. A second place told me one thing but then delivered another, and after waiting 3 weeks to even start, I had to quit after the first day.

The places I've worked for that gave info beforehand were always pretty woogie, too. "Oh, you can work 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. but maybe we'll want you in at noon, and maybe Saturdays but we don't know for sure." Etc. etc.

They should take responsibility and provide info. - Tests can take hour or more..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and that's usually time unpaid since most work on production. MTSOs know this so IMO, it's very tacky to waste someone's time like that. You can about bet they keep it a mystery because it's crappy pay &/or shift so I don't bother with it if they're not willing to furnish info up front.

My take on this - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
JMHO but I believe that a lot of factors come into play with an MTSO being able to "quote a line rate up front." For example, an MT may have a wonderful resume, but ends up testing poorly and on the other hand, an MT who tests wonderfully, but does not have that much experience. Most of the ads that I have seen do state certain hours that they want an MT to work or at least what shifts where they need the most coverage. I guess what I am trying to say here is that I believe an MT who is experienced and who does well in testing should be compensated at a higher line rate than someone who has only a limited amount of experience under their belt and to me, if I were a recruiter, I believe I would base CPL rate based on a resume and test results.
I agree but they can still provide a range, i.e., 7-10 cpl - based on exp & testing. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Some also want to see testing to determine which acct to place MT on and that might affect pay, but they could still provide a range since they certainly know how low/high they're willing to go.

PLEASE STOP TESTING WITHOUT EVER SPEAKING TO A REAL PERSON FIRST!!!! - notest

[ In Reply To ..]
first. Why would I do that? Once I find out the specifics of a job, I might not want to take it. These tests can be very time-consuming and stressful. I have been doing this for 30 years, and my attitude is that they would be LUCKY to have ME! Ladies, this is just like shopping, surely you can relate. If it doesn't fit, you don't buy it. PLEASE stop testing without knowing what the job has to offer YOU. If you all start requesting phone interviews first, the MTSO's will forced to pick up the phone and speak to us as a valued human being instead of a number who passed or didn't pass the test. We have the mass, just not the followers. We are in control of how we are treated-so demand some respect here-PLEASE STOP TESTING WITHOUT EVER SPEAKING TO A REAL PERSON FIRST!!!!

Reply to your post - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, let me see if I am reading this post right. In essence, what you are saying is that every MT who is interested in a position should call the prospective company first to find out what their line rate range may be or what type of account it is? I have gone to other job sites and they will normally state if it is radiology, oncology, cardiology, acute care whatever and if you read the ads carefully, most of them say "No phone calls please." I am trying to picture myself in the eyes of the "contact person/recruiter" and imagine getting a call from Susie Jones and others like her wanting to know a rate of pay before they test. It could be that this is a very new account, where not much information is available. I ran into that at Focus when I was there and figured that because the account was a "new account," there would be more straight typing than VR and that turned out not to be the case because it ended up being more VR than straight typing and I went broke. Another factor to take into place, is a company may be hiring for several different accounts -- account A may have a higher compensation rate than account B. Another factor with "posting a range" is again, we have "more experienced MTs" competing with those just trying to enter the field and I believe that compensation should be based on that. I am probably making more at my present company than my current supervisor, but those are facts that will not be disclosed. Let's face it gang, the days of making 10-15 cpl are LONG gone. I am being more than fairly compensated with a 65 character line with spaces and weekly pay to boot. There have been complaints about the excessive amount of testing that my particular company has put MTs through, however, if someone is strong in radiology or clinic notes, it does not necessarily mean that they have the skills necessary to do acute care. The one thing that I have found with companies that use MTTEST is to read the instructions very carefully. I spoke with a fellow MT yesterday and she felt that on the first portion of the test, she only had 7-10 minutes to complete that portion of the test, when in fact I believe it states that you should be able to complete it in 7-10 minutes. I have run into what I consider "trick" questions as well and if I feel it is correct, I usually say "correct" or leave it as a blank. As far as the actual transcription portion of the test, I download the files to Express Scribe, type them in word, run my spellcheck and then cut and paste the files into their test dictation files and hit complete. Yes, I know how frustrating and time consuming testing can be, but it may work out in the long run.

TO THE SCREAMER - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm trying to imagine an HR department where all they do is field calls from people wanting to know the specifics of a job where there will be likely hundreds of prospective candidates. Insanity to even suggest.

I also work in a non-MT field and when I go through the application process, it's just that-- the APPLICATION process. Salary isn't discussed, benefits, etc. Pre-process I usually know what the hours are, and what the position is. (With MT it's sort of clear what the position is and most state when they have hours available.)

Advising posters to speak with someone first is not a viable resolution. You having 30 years in the field doesn't really mean jack BEFORE you go thru the process. It just means you're older than 30 :)

mt2 - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Yep, I worked in the private sector with hiring and that was what I was trying to explain in my post. My company is a very small MTSO and again, getting bombarded with phone calls and emails wanting to know the rate of pay before even testing is bordering on ridiculous. Another thing as well, with wanting to know "account specifics," well what do you want to know? Its acute care, not sure about radiology, ops, discharges, consults, H&Ps, progress notes etc. When someone states "basic 4 acute care," that is what they are looking for -- not an MT who has done nothing but clinic work for the last 10 years -- whole different ballgame and sometimes I wish that people would wake up and realize that. Also, as I stated earlier, this may be a new account where a lot of information is NOT available to the recruiters. When I worked recruiting in the private sector many years ago, Catepillar went on strike. Many of these men then, back in the early 1980s were making $50 an hour. They would apply to the company where I worked and we could offer them maybe half that salary. Their response was to laugh and turn it down. I see too many people on here griping and complaining and to me a job is a job. I however, after kissing a "few frogs," found a prince of a company, who happens to care about their employees and just seeing WAY too much negativity on this board lately.

Then why not put more specifics in their ads? Or hire a - recruiter whose job it is to field calls?

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, wait. Maybe it's because they really don't want real human beings working for them. They're looking for droids.
who cares be A droid - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
guess what, get a life and move on oh bitter onekenobe

Screaming with all caps - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Im sorry, but MTSOs do come on these boards and read contrary to popular belief. Do you really think that this is all recruiters or MTSOs for this matter have to do is field phone calls from "hopeful MTs DEMANDING to know this or that?" DEMANDING being the keyword here -- DEMANDS will get you nowhere in this profession or anywhere else. Yes -- I have over 30 years in this business and your post comes across as one of a child stamping a foot. You state that any employer would be LUCKY to have you, that is your attitude coming through. I have as much experience if not more as well, and have worked in the personnel section in the private sector. I was hired first and then asked to test; however, this is when the account was first being started. I took all 3 tests and failed one -- called the person who hired me and was told not to worry. What people do not seem to understand is that if you are requested to test using MTTEST, they do look at your qualifications and say "okay acute care radiology whatsoever." They try to see your strengths as well as weakness and base it on that. Again, if someone has only clinic experience and this is an acute care account, would you want to hire this person? This is an account where we do have our fair share of ESLs -- we have people that don't show up when they are expected to work -- the supervisor, assistant and owner bend over backwards to accommodate. If you say you can work certain hours, then try to be there, stick to a schedule, if an emergency arises, let people know, but to DEMAND certain pay, work types etc, is beyond my comprehension.

WE POST IN ALL CAPS B-CUZ WE'RE SICK OF ALL - THE CR@P!

[ In Reply To ..]
Hate ALL-CAPS? Then cut the CR@P.
reply - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
THIS IZ THE RZN U DONT GET HIRED is text speak and all caps -- GET A GRIP!!!
aww 2bad u kent find werk - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
re-read ur post MZ TEXTER and mby u will undstand Y dont git a job/gig. UGH
Wow, maybe take your own advice and - get a life, hmmm?
[ In Reply To ..]
You almost had some valid points until you resorted to the silly Star Wars reference and juvenile jabs.

It's called having confidence and knowing your own - memt

[ In Reply To ..]
self-worth to me. All the MTSOs have to do is post specifics in their job listings. They don't have to "give away" all their secrets, just enough to help somebody decide if they are interested enough to get down deeper.

So, for all of you who keep on testing, keep on keeping on for all I care, it's not my time or effort-it's your choice, although you continue to set the standard for the rest of us. I have a job that I like alot, at an admin level, by the way, and I didn't test until I was ready to.

P.S. The shouting (all caps) was an accident because I copied the last line in my post-sue me!

You are SO right. It would save everyone time (sm) - Yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
if they would give job/work details on their websites. There are a few MTSOs that do this and when I see it is not a good fit then I pass. This saves not only my time but theirs also. Before I test I always contact the MTSO with questions, but so seldom do they reply. These MTSOs that give out so little info is like me placing an ad in the paper "One green truck for sale."

I absolutely agree -- but most people here will blame you - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's just what people do around here. Companies expect MTs to work for low pay. They're disorganized and confused, they don't provide information, they are often impossible to get hold of at any point even after you're employed, but on MTStars, it's always the MTs fault!

Makes me wonder who exactly posts here.

Similar Messages:

Note To MT Companies..........
Jun 25, 2012

Based on the current rate of pay of 3-4 cpl, I'd like you to know exactly what that pays for from me. 1.  I will not search for a doctor's name or address outside the facility I am working on. I will leave a blank and let QA find it. 2. I will not check to see if capitalization of instruments, etc. Is in order, with the exception of medications, on VR reports. 3. I will not divide a long sentence up when the dictator says "and" all throughout a paragraph on a VR report. 4. I w ...

Op Note Help !!
Oct 20, 2009

The fundus was then grasped with a s/l "shaney"______, and the uterus was flipped.  The final pedicles were then clamped, cut, and ligated with a 2-0 Vicryl with a s/l 4NF_____ and a stay suture bilaterally. ...

ENT Note
Oct 30, 2009

In regards to his ears, he is status post tube placement, adenotonsillectomy, and left s/l "cleft or cales utoma" removal.   thanks for any help! ...

ER Note
Dec 21, 2009

The physician request that I format in an ER Note, but all I can find is an ER Consultation, progress Note, or soap note. How do I decide which to use? I need one that can handle the history, past medical history, and review of systems. Does anyone have a site I can locate this information plz.   ...

Op Note - Can I Help!
Nov 10, 2010

OK, am editing an op note that ASR typed as......maintained the dorsal wrist artery with an ERECT MALE and using bipolar cautery.  Where do I sign up for OR tech classes? :) ...

Is Anyone Out There Please??? Need Help With ENT OP Note
Mar 04, 2011

Dictated ... A S/L trap mold was applied to the ear canal followed by a S/L glassapack dressing.   TIA ...

GI OP NOTE
Jun 02, 2011

help!  s/l 'frome like'. There was one area that had protuberance from the lining of the mucosa, which appeared to be an inflammation tissue and was *------* . This may be the location of the colovesical fistula. ...

ENT OP NOTE HELP
Aug 22, 2011

anybody ever heard of what s/l do-co-be??  any help is much appreciated.  TY A left-sided hemitransfixion incision was made with sharp dissection and a Cottle elevator were utilized to elevate an intact mucoperichondrial layer on the left side, leaving a sufficient broad-based caudal cartilaginous strut. The cartilage was incised and contralateral elevation was carried out by _______. The cartilage posterior to this demonstrated the anterior deviation mentioned above, therefore this ...

Please See Note
Sep 25, 2011

Doctor dictates: "In pregnancy, Lamictal causes malformation or s/l "tur-raj-ah-dinicity." Thank you very much for your help! ...

QA Note
Nov 25, 2013

I just got a note from my quality coach (or whatever they are called) for a QA note that I left on a patient that I did.  The quality of sound was poor to the point where I was pulling my hair out.  All I said was poor cell phone reception, poor sound quality.  ...

On A Serious Note
Jan 29, 2015

I, like most of you, am not happy with this mandatory shift change that has messed up my life. I am job hunting. I find very few things, if any, that I am qualified for with my experience with MT work. Basically I need to know if I am missing something in my search and if anyone can guide me towards something in the job market. Retraining is not an option at this point unless it is on the job training. ...

Lymphadenectomy Op Note Help
Oct 23, 2009

The fascia over the latissimus dorsi muscle was incised throughout *s/l its long tuda tenderness*   insertion.  ...

Help On ERCP Note
Nov 11, 2009

I'm typing an ERCP note, and the dictator says something that sounds like - "a two one dashed was used to cannulate the pancreatic duct."  I'm at a loss, I even tried Google.  I hate leaving blanks.   ANyone have any ideas? ...

Med In Hx List: S/l TE-PYA-ZAN. Any Help Pls. See Note For Hx
Nov 24, 2009

Patient has a history of cad, hypertension, and chronic back pain. I'm stumped.  Thnx. ...

Open Note From An MME
Feb 13, 2010

I have come on this site for awhile, mostly because this is a place where everyone gets what you do and can understand what you're going crazy over. Try telling your neighbor the ESLs are getting to you today and you get what I mean. However, since I have become an MME (in October), this has become a not so friendly place. I love doing QA work. I have been in this field for 20 years and feel I can and do help MTs out. When I make a correction, it's to give the MT some feedback, ...

On A Higher Note...
Mar 18, 2010

Have you guys been using the search engine to look up previous reports?  I LOVE IT, have been waiting for it for YEARS!!!  I just did a look up by patient and was able to avoid 2 skip markers...the doc was flying through the medicines and I could NOT get them, looked up a report for the patient, there was only one, but it did list the meds...WOOHOOO....there are some good things in these changes if you look for them!! ...

On A Serious Note - FTR Essay -
Mar 22, 2010

Before you send in an essay with your name on it.  Think long about it.  There are a couple of issues: 1.  Taxes.  Think about how much you will have left after the taxes are taken out.  It won't be 1000 dollars.  2.  There are those of you on here talking about a union.  If any of you are serious about a union -- DO NOT sing praises about ANY MQ POLICIES.  It will come back to haunt you. 3.  Remember exactly what is going on in MQ r ...

A Note I Received
Jul 27, 2010

While on Facebook last night, I mentioned about going back to school to be a vet tech. and one of the things I mentioned was that it was work that would NOT be oursourced to India. Some guy from India sent me a message asking what was wrong with sending work to India. So I told him how it has decimated the careers of American MTs, how American MTs often can't even earn a living wage because they are competing with the low wages paid to Indian MTs. I could have said more to him, but I left i ...

Chemo Note
Aug 28, 2010

How would I write this properly? The patient received a total of 224 x 10 to the eighth nucleated cells or 0.37 x 10 to the eighth with a total CD 3 dose of 16.96 x 10 to the sixth per cubic gram patient weight. ...

OP Note Hydrocelectomy
Sep 01, 2010

The hydrocele sac was then opened its full length.  There were actually 2 distinct sacs.  In the center of them were 2 S/L "extrisences" or 2 papules that came off of the hydrocele sac.   Thank you in advance... ...

Ortho Note
Sep 16, 2010

This lady has knee pain and she has weakness to her tib ________.  It sounds like anth.  Like he's shortening it like tib-fib.  But I can't figure out the tib-anth???   Thanks. ...

Ortho Op Note Help Please (sm)
Oct 29, 2010

ACL repair, he states in one part of the dictation that three Max s/l splay sutures were placed and in another it sounds like Max displayed sutures.  Help please!   TIA ...

ON A MORE POSITIVE NOTE
Apr 22, 2011

. ...

Help Surgery OP Note
Jun 30, 2011

anybody have any ideas??  s/l "Stell"  dont think it is Steel.  TKS:)   The 29 mm _______ stapler was then passed via the anus into the rectum. The circular stapler would not fit flush with the staple line. ...

On A Happier Note...
Jul 13, 2011

I had a formal QA evaluation by my QC and scored 99.5%, so feel I dodged a bullet. This is my first official QA since the 99% change.  The things I did wrong didn't seem to carry as much weight as previously.  Just trying to hang on until retirement, but checking out college courses. They have a new major at the local college called Medical Interpretation (Spanish to English).  A whole new wonderful world of opportunity!! ...

Op Note Diva?
Jul 19, 2011

Did anyone see the ad this morning for an op note diva?  Where did it go? ...

HOW DO I DELETE A QA NOTE IN DQS?
Jul 21, 2011

I have been trying to delete a QA note that I initially inserted, but at the last minute I figured out what the mush-mouthed dictator was saying.  I CANNOT take out the marker or note!  Is there a way to do this, or do I have to send it to dreaded QA?  ...

SOAP Note Help
Aug 22, 2011

On SOAP note: S:  History of Present Illness:  Bob is a pleasant.....  or S:  History of present illness:  Bob is a pleasant.... or S:  HISTORY OF PRESENT ILLNESS:  Bob is  a pleasant....   Thanks in advance! ...

Addendum To My First Note
Aug 28, 2011

For added information I was an in patient acute care hospital coder.  ICD-9 was really what I had been doing and that included reviewing the records extensively for maximum reimbursement.  I would like thoughts on myself being able to take a refresher course on line. ...

OP Note Help - ACL Repair
Dec 08, 2011

We confirmed the button had locked on the lateral femoral cortex and then used the pull sutures to pull the graft into the femoral tunnel.  All of this was confirmed using arthroscopic visualization.  The knee was taken through a full range of motion.  We confirmed "**s/l disometry** as well as the fact that there was no impingement on the femoral condylar roof nor on the PCL. I am not too familiar with op notes, so not sure what this word could be.  I came up with dissymmet ...