A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My thoughts on MT and companies (long :) - - long-time MT

Posted: Aug 11, 2010

I posted this awhile back on the main board and thought I would share over here too.

I see so many posts going in so many directions on these threads.  It made me think about how very hard the whole MT thing is in today's world.  I thought I would make a few points for those just starting or those just staying...

Many posts say - you must know AHDI Book of Style.  True, for some companies and some accounts.  Not true for some companies and some accounts.

Many say QA has been helpful; hurtful; unfair; unreasonable; confusing; contradictory.  Truth is; QA is whatever the company and account call for.  There is no "right" or "wrong" way - it is whatever is called for on any given day, any given account.

Many say the line count is going down.  This is true; for various reasons.  Mostly because the competition is greater because of off-shore MTs.  The MTSO feel they have to bid low in order to keep the work state-side & they have to pass the loss on to the MT to stay in business.  The individual doctors and small MTSO take their cue from the larger MTSO and hospitals.  It just goes down, down, down - and it will until there is a shortage of MTs; which will drive the line count back up - supply and demand is the name of the game.

VBC - Visible black character.  This is the up and coming new way to bill and pay transcription.  It is counting the black characters on a page - no spaces.  It gives the MTSO the "edge" when bidding - they say they will bill VBC only, which makes their customer happy.  Then they tell the MT they will pay a higher line rate or use less than the standard 65 characters to constitute a line.  Problem with this is - experience has taught us that this will be a temporary concession.  Soon, the "standard" will be VBC and the higher line rate or less characters will fade away and we will have a still lower line count.

Employee/IC:  This is a tough one for all.  The MTSO needs to meet TAT to stay in contract and can't do that unless they can control the schedules - need employees.  However, employees require enough work to meet the requirements of full time employees - something that can't be controlled most of the time.  They also need benefits - something that is expensive unless the employee is making a profit for the MTSO.  On the other hand, IC status does not help meet TAT although it is cheaper as far as benefits.  For the MT, employee status means their schedule is controlled but they are not usually given enough work to make the line requirements.  IC status gets them in tax trouble and usually targets them for less work if there is rationing. 

Backup accounts:  If MTSO gives an MT a backup account, this is what happens.  Employee #1 is on account A daytime.  Employee B is on account B evenings.  #1 runs out of work at 10 a.m. on account A, switches to account B for 5 hours.  Employee #2 starts at 3 p.m. and the work dries up at 6 p.m. -   Think of the headaches when this is multiplied by a few hundred MTs scratching for work.  It is a no-win situation all the way around.  People get incensed over primary accounts, secondary accounts, tertiary accounts, promises made and not kept - on and on.  We all know the headaches for the MT - no work on A, B, C - because the people who have it as the secondary or tertiary accounts had no work and switched to your account.  A new account opens - MTSO wants to knock their socks off with our efficiency - so they overhire, take down the backlog, wow the customer - and then no work or tiny amounts for all - or worse, lots for some, none for others. 

This business has evolved into a nightmare on so many levels when it comes to MTSO.  I came home on a pilot program for a hospital many years ago.  It was great.  One block built on another block - one problem solved for a customer made another problem for off-site MTs and MTSO.  We kept going, changing little by little, until we got where we are today.  MTSO trying to keep head above water, stay competitive, meet TAT, pay expensive perks, avoid penalties, keep up with the tax laws for 50 states, provide work to MTs, avoid lawsuits.  The MTs are where they have always been - trying to make a living.  However, we have also evolved.  We expect things today that we didn't expect 20 years ago.  We want the perks of employment and the perks of being at home.  We want 10 cpl for a 65 CL with spaces, we want insurance and all the other perks, we want a guarantee of work when wanted but don't want to be given a line requirement, we want vacation/holidays/PTO but we don't want to help catch up the backlog that has to be done unless more MTs are hired for the account.  If we have a bad day with the kids or Susie has a school play, we are furious if someone questions what we are doing or says "no" we cannot go to Susie's school.

We are where we are because we have all wanted the whole pie.  The MTSO wants to be able to take the cruise or build the big house like the other MTSO - make the necessary cuts.  You hear how it started at the "kitchen table" but it certainly didn't stay anywhere close to that.  They have forgotten.  It is now about figures, bottom lines, and how to retire in 10 years.  The MTs have forgotten how happy they were to be at home where they could throw more water in the stew on the way back from the bathroom or listen to music in the background, control the thermostat, wear sweats, drink at their desk. 

It is a snowball rolling downhill.  I see it starting to happen - MTs advising younger or newer MTs to stay on site - don't go home.  Some have found they are making minimum wage at home.  I see the chasm between the MTSOs and MTs growing wider every year - in every company.  The newer companies stay connected for a little while, but soon find they cannot do both - be a buddy and be a competitor in today's MT industry.  Eat or die.

This is long.  I apologize.  I just was sitting here thinking about the entire industry.  I am leaving the MTSO companies and going to work for a clinic for the above reasons - as an employee.  I love MTSOs and have worked for quite a few of them as MT, QA, management.  I see the problems from all sides.  There are are villians or heros - it is what it is.  My heart mostly goes out to the thousands of MTs who followed the dream.  These are super intelligent people who have fought to figure it out, learned anatomy, physiology, typing styles, different specialities, computer skills, and finally got to the point they considered themselves a medical transcriptionist - only to discover it is hard to find a job, hard to make a living, hard not to be made to feel like trash by QA and/or management.  They are all asking "why", "what has happened?"  This is my take on some of the rhyme and reason.  I would be interested in comments - do you agree or disagree.  How could anything be changed.  Is there any hope.  Will you stay, go, work in house?  What will you do in the future?

American Way - Aliendoll

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think it will get better. I think we live in a capitalist society that dictates make money, make money and that is what the companies are doing for themselves. I came from a small company where we got all those perks, worked in house, got insurance, flexible schedules, small staff so plenty of work, but that no longer exists. I think this is a dying profession. I am just hoping it stays around long enough and keeps me out of the poor house long enough to finish school and find another field. I do agree that we all want everything, the flexibility of being at home, working when we want, no one wanting to do the extra work when asked but then get mad when there is no work and they have to hire new people. Although, to be honest, after having days with no work, when I get that email for extra help, I rarely help out anymore; I am just so jaded by the whole situation. I think, like with everything else, Walmart, etc., when you no longer have a face, no mom and pop store where everyone knows each other, it is easier to mess people over, tele-screwing people over, but that is the world we live in now, and I think people need to deal with it or find something else. Right now, with the economy the way it is and seeing so many people who cannot find a job, I am thankful I have one, but I will be getting out of medical transcription as soon as I can, and really no longer tell people it is a great field to get into.

My 0.01 (because that is what I can afford at my salary) - Julia

[ In Reply To ..]
Telescrewing -- been there, received that! LOL. In all honesty, I am tired of working for poverty wage doing VR or pulling my hair out trying to understand the ESLs who cannot be trained for VR. I have watched my paycheck shrink in so many ways. I have been let go because I made too much and it was cheaper to hire someone new who would take 0.06 a line. I am currently not being paid for spaces. Did they warn me about this when I was hired? Of course not. I am tired. I am burned out. I cannot wait to move on and get a life again, one with a little money left over after the bills are paid and time to spend with my family, not hovering over the computer waiting for some work to filter in.

crazy society - atagirl

[ In Reply To ..]
The little guy is getting screwed all over. What gets me is that the little guy is just rolling over and playing dead, which is what our so-called capitalist society is hoping for. Our society is a plutocracy, so the rich rule. However, no government exists without the consent of the governed, either passively or actively. Ultimately, they have to consider us, so they get away with what they can get away with - without pissing off too many of us. I will be glad when the entire middle class and lower class says "enough is enough." Then see how far the patricians can go without the plebeians.

Hanging in there...sm - OpMT

[ In Reply To ..]
As I sit here almost mid afternoon with my system citing NJA and workers constantly logging on, I wonder if I made the right choice in becoming an MT. I'm going to be optimistic here and say this has to be due to a "technical difficulty" because my brain refuses to wrap itself around the idea that there are absolutely no doctors dictating at a facility this large. There are 16 people signed on and only 1 currently transcribing...pretty scary.

Overall, I love being an MT. I love the perks of being able to work from home, even though on a set schedule, and pick up extra work without having to punch a clock. I love the knowledge and experience I am gaining of the healthcare industry and its effects on the population as a whole. What discourages me is the financial uncertainty and instability, not knowing how I'm going to survive long term and if I'll have enough work to make enough money to take care of my household.

Still...I remain optimistic. Yes, the industry is definitely on a downslope, in my opinion, but this is how change works. Trials and tribulations are designed to promote growth. Without them there would be no "us." There is definite truth in the phrase, "Only the strong survive." Are you a survivor?
Surviving is overrated. - atagirl
[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes succumbing to a situation sets you free to see other options and pursuits much more rewarding.

Similar Messages:

Long Shot, But Are There Any Companies Out There That ...?
May 24, 2014

Any companies that will let you give you work your own hours as long as you complete a set number of lines per given day?  I'd love to be an IC again with my own hours, since I have kids that need to be driven around all day.Either that or a night job.  I could use some company suggestions.  I've worked for several and not happy right now.  Thank you! ...

How Long Does It Take Nuance To Convert Platforms To Their Methods On Companies And Accounts Acquire
Sep 24, 2013

My company was acquired by Nuance a few months back and so far the only thing that has changed has been e-mail addresses.  Paystubs even still reflect our original company name.  Will they keep our proprietary platform or make us change to eScription soon?  Also, we're all ICs.  Does anyone know if we will be required to become Nuance employees at the first of the year?  ...

Getting A 2nd MT Job - Thoughts?
Mar 25, 2010

I graduated from school last year and have worked as an IC with a company for 3 months.  I was told I'd be the sole MT on one small Ortho account, but now I know I was lied to.  Other MTs grab everything out of the queue and I'm lucky if I make $23/day, many days I get 0 jobs.  The office manager is so clueless that she is entirely unhelpful, and after several attempts I've given up trying to get the work I was promised when hired. I need the money so I can't ...

Any Thoughts?
Sep 09, 2010

I have been researching all the online MT Courses and have decided that the 2 I seem to think are the most reputable are TRSInstitute and Career Step. Any input from anyone on any schools? Or should I even be considering this field right now? I have read alot of discouraging posts. TRSI includes Speech recognition in its course, unlike alot of the other shcools. Thanks! ...

What Are Your Thoughts On
Oct 28, 2010

One of the posts below mentioned something happening in the next two months or by the end of the year (can't find the post now).  Also, I recall some administrative e-mail alluding to the same, the e-mail about how CBay is poised to take over more Medquist assets.  Is something going to happen to us that we should know about? ...

What Are Your Thoughts On This?
Apr 27, 2011

I think that when we edit an ASR document, we should be compensated at our transcription rate for every keystroke we do to make the report ready for the client.  Since Medquist is so accurately able to calculate our keystrokes, mouse clicks and so on, it should be easy for them to determine how many extra keystrokes were required to prepare the final report.  ...

Some Thoughts For Those Considering MT
May 01, 2011

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career.  Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there.  (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.)  First, there are three "myths" to consider:  1.  The myth that medical transcription is easy money.  Many of the no ...

Any Thoughts On MD-IT
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone have experience with MD-IT? TIA. ...

What Are MTs Thoughts On This? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

If Obama's job act goes through and employers are rewarded for hiring the unemployed, do you think that will make a difference to the companies that off shore and cause the hiring of more US MTs? ...

DQS 7.1, Need Some Serious Thoughts
Oct 22, 2012

On DQS 7.1 I keep hearing how the SR is so much better.  What the heck?  I haven't a clue why anyone thinks this, but I have a trusted friend who agrees her SR has improved dramatically.  My accounts have dropped dramatically in the SR, which leads me to believe that this is potentially due to something my CCM might not have done correctly with our accounts.  We've never had gender discrepancy noted, although this is supposed to happen.  We've never had cl ...

Thoughts On The
Jun 03, 2013

Why not just make it 100% and  get it over with? I guess they figure it's kind of like killing frogs in boiling water.   ...

Any Thoughts
Dec 04, 2013

I typed as doctor dictated, ". . . pee off . . . " Audit dinged me and changed to, "urinated off." What should have been done?  I thought we were not to change what they said. ...

Some Thoughts On
May 20, 2014

Today I was just wondering if the honorees of other appreciation weeks (nurses, lab techs, housekeepers, basically every health-care subgroup) were required to participate in puzzles, games, essays, and otherwise jump through hoops, to get "prizes",  usually a trinket or a low denomination gift card? Maybe I'm just sensitive because I've been doing this long enough to remember when gifts, festive meals, respect and  all-year-long good pay (the best gift of all) were freely gi ...

Thoughts, Anyone?
Jun 21, 2014

Any Thoughts On This...
Jun 28, 2014

Do you guys think the minimum line count will be going up soon? Some states have raised their minimum wage. Trying to figure out how some of us would be able to hold on if it were to go up any higher than 150/hr. Barely able to meet that as it is. Just don't think makeup pay is something they're very happy about having to provide either. So wondering if this will be the end of the line for those of us not meeting production, though not for lack of hard effort. ...

Thoughts On VR-
Jul 06, 2014

of fixing report after report.  VR was sold with fradulant representation. The way this has continued is the MT is to "fix" these reports to the facilities specs and regardless of what comes over, the end report is to be correct.  Therefore, we are made to be our own worst enemy.  I have been saving reports before/after for quite some time and keeping stats on how many incorrect VR words I have to correct, how much formatting I have to do per the specs of the facility, t ...

My Thoughts
Dec 04, 2014

Why don't they just pay the MTs a decent wage instead of paying all the extra QA people for all the extra audits? This is a convoluted mess - transparent to who? Einstein? They need a standard blank submission policy. It is not fair to MLS like me who are not allowed to send any blanks versus those who can send up to 3 directly to the client. My pay will be dramatically impacted. Where is the difficulty factor? They have lied yet again. They really shot themselves in the ...

Softscript: Any Thoughts? NM
Apr 23, 2010

Just wondering. ...

Funny Thoughts
Aug 08, 2010

We have so much American work outsourced to India - India should be our 51st state! ...

Anyone Used M-Modal And Your Thoughts...
Aug 19, 2010

Would like any thoughts on this ... seems strange... ...

Some Thoughts On The S Markers
Sep 16, 2010

I was wondering why in the new 6.1 version, it takes more words to get an automatic S marker inserter (highlighting words then using the delete button).  I used to have to count the words and if 5 or more, used to place the S marker.  I wonder why now the difference.  Do you think the Q keeps track of how many S markers are generally given in our documents as their ASR system is developed, and now wants to give themselves another pat on the back, exclaiming how their stellar ASR s ...

My Thoughts And Ramblings...
Oct 09, 2010

Just the ramblings and observations of me.. The national I worked for the longest was MDI-MD and it truly was the best compared to everything else I had experienced as far as national companies.  The thing they did best was 1) pay the MT premium pay.  2) Offer bonus incentives that were obtainable frequently if the account was out of TAT which really made the pay nice. And 3) and probably most importantly figured out that for an MT to be productive and successful they needed to NOT be ...

Bayscribe ASR - Your Thoughts Please
Jan 26, 2011

What are your feelings about Bayscribe's automated speech recognition program? We have been using it now for 2 or 3 months..personally I think it sucks ... ...

ROI Testing - Any Thoughts?
Jun 01, 2011

Man I feel so bad!!!  I have typed radiology for 8 years.  I took the test and I failed.  I saw other posts on here of people who have had more experience than me and failed.  I took the extra time to look up all of that BOS stuff.  I am not sure where I went wrong.  I saw somewhere that they asked about their test results but couldn't get any answers.  I am feeling .   I haven't ever scored low on audits and such, so I am second guessing my ...

IC Right Out Of School? Thoughts Please!
Jul 27, 2011

I need some help.  Ok, I have a BA in Psychology, and am soon to be a grad from MTEC.  I have a friend from church who's Dr's office would be willing to hire me as an IC.  However, I'm a little freaked out by that b/c I would not have anyone to check my work, which to me is like a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I don't know if in that case I would pay someone to review my work, or how that would work. I just sent away for a book on being an independant consul ...

What Are Your Thoughts On M Moday?
Nov 29, 2011

x ...

Thoughts On M-Modal?
Jul 15, 2012

Anyone have any info or thoughts on M-Modal?  I have been offered to test.  Line rates, pay, etc., any information would be helpful GOOD or BAD. psw ...

Thoughts On Nuance
Jan 24, 2013

I had been with a GREAT hospital job for the last 20+ years. One day, completely without warning, we were all called in and told that we were being outsourced to Nuance. No worries, though, we will hire all of you, and all of your seniority will carry over. Recruiters present at the meeting talked up Nuance like it was some kind of step up from the hospital. We were then given folders with our names on them and inside was information for our new job with Nuance. We had 24-48 hours to let them kn ...

My Thoughts On Nuance
Feb 16, 2013

I'm usually a very peaceful person, wishing no ill will toward my fellow man, but when it comes to those running Naunce all bets are off.  Whenever I'm working, I can't help but fantasize that the suits get run over by a car or a mugger shoots them in the head or that they fall sick to a painfully long, terminal illness.  I know it's wrong for having such thoughts, but this company brings out the worst in me.  I HATE these people! ...

Some Random Thoughts
Mar 22, 2013

that has now become "working" for MModal.  since I have no work today at the start of my shift, thought I would share.   New 99% accuracy requirement:  This is the pay cut everyone was fearing, just with a different name.  More accuracy means more time spent going over reports for "errors" hence less pay.  Of course, no pay raises for increased accuracy requirements and no mention of adjusted line count requirements.  It wouldn't surprise me if 100% accuracy w ...