Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Took the plunge. After 32 years, I retired from - medical transcription. There

Posted: Jan 2nd, 2023 - 11:26 am

is nothing left in this profession to enjoy. Technology destroyed what I once loved.  The decline over the years has pushed too many of us to retire early or pursue an entirely different field.  India and cheaper labor costs, speech recognition, and EMR.  Then there's COVID and hospital, clinic and private practice's responses to saving money by hiring scribes (that was a flop), using the medical assistants as MT's and then pushing doctors to edit their own work.  What resulted?  Probably error-ridden chart notes.  

The positives:  The medical knowledge was free; no nursing school, although I entertained that idea many, many times and was asked if I was one often enough.  Pediatric visits were easier to understand and I was confident to be proactive with my children's health as well as my own.  Even pet visits were/are made simpler knowing what symptoms to present to the veterinarian.  Carpal tunnel syndrome was not a problem but arthritis IS as I approach retirement age.

All in all, I chose this profession to be an at-home mom and I was successful combining the two.  Now I am working in the legal sector and love my job.  No more stress trying to reach the impossible expectations of two-hour turnaround times, 100% perfection and dare I say it -- fighting the blasted foreign doctors invading our heallthcare system!!!

I hung on as long as I could.  Time to purge account specifications that I printed and they have sat in a binder for years and years.  I couldn't adjust to having the ever-growing number of pages for these accounts sit on my desktop to access.  

Final thought of the day:  The last company I worked for was WorldWide Dictation.

Good luck to my brethren who still plug away at this career which was once lauded and appreciated by doctors, nurses and PA's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)