Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 33)

Taking the plunge - Congratulations to both of you

Posted: Jan 3rd, 2023 - 9:44 am In Reply to: Great Post, Thanks - see msg

Wow,the original post received 18 "likes" so far, I think that's the most I've ever seen. OP, congratulations on your decision. I left MT at age 58 due to closure of my department. I had worked there 18 years and was an MT for twice that long, and I didn't leave by choice. It is very difficult starting over at that age, but I was hired within the same organization and recently retired at 67. I currently work in a library 2 days a week. To the other poster, I know you're not gloating and maybe you're financially set, but I would advise against taking early retirement at 62. You will be leaving thousands of dollars on the table in reduced monthly payments that won't increase except for COLA. Medicare doesn't start until you turn 62, so you will need to provide your own health insurance. Medicare doesn't cover dental care, and I had to purchase my own insurance. I have other savings and can usually do fine on SS alone, but life is expensive. I'm not trying to be a downer because being retired is positive in many ways, but I've also encountered many things I didn't consider when I was younger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)