Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Reply to all - Do what you want

Posted: Nov 8th, 2021 - 7:29 pm In Reply to: I print out all of my own and for my husband - My PCP encourages it

I don’t know why the OP asked, it sounds as if she’s going to do what she wants anyway and was looking for people to agree with her. I’m an ex-MT now working in medical records and ROI. Employees are not permitted to view their own charts or family members’ charts without signing a release, and the only things people are permitted to view and print are the things that can be accessed from Epic/My Chart at home, it is not the entire chart. Anyone accessing records from a single office PCP or lab is required to sign a medical release. Anyone who gives you those records or lets you have them without obtaining a release is violating HIPAA, and those fines run in the thousands of dollars per occurrence. Yes, we own our records but we still have to follow the proper channels. Imagine having something like that saved on your phone and losing your phone or having it stolen. Your physician may make subjective comments in your notes and if you read them without permission sets them up for liability. Charging for records is standard practice now, and actually has been for several years. Some services charge a flat fee after a certain page limit. I have to say that $1.00 per page charge seems excessive, but that doesn’t mean you can go in and print your own chart. Your new physician can request your records and it won’t cost you anything. The provider who told you that you needed a written release was absolutely right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)