Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

They don't even know who we are - MT Dinosaur

Posted: Mar 18th, 2019 - 8:10 pm

We all know that we are going the way of the dodo.  But, today I had a shock.  I was in for a procedure at the hospital.  I was talking to a relatively young nurse.  Don't know how long she has been a nurse.  I told her I was a transcriptionist.  She said she was sorry but she didn't know what that was.  I was taken by total surprise.  They don't even know about us anymore.  They don't even know that we worked our butts off, that we were the ones that kept those records flowing so they knew what to do with patients.  They have no idea the long hours we have worked on typewriters and computer screens until our eyes couldn't see straight.  We have already been forgotten and the newbies don't even know about us anymore.  I told her we were the ones who typed all the reports before the EMR systems came in.  She said she knew what a scribe was.  I explained it was the same thing except the scribes she is familiar with go around with the doctors to the patient exam rooms.  

I am so sad.  I have spent 32 years and counting at this.  I am holding out until my last clients leave.  I have to work.  How do you start over in your 60s in a new career?  It isn't like anyone really wants to hire you because of your age.  But, what makes it worse is that after all these years in a career that was integral to the medical field, they don't even know who we are before transcription is even finally done.  In that moment I felt as if my life was invisible, as if it was a ghost, that no one can see it, that it didn't matter - except to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)