Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Where are you now - Cheryl

Posted: Aug 15th, 2018 - 1:02 am In Reply to: Where are you now! - tonybinid

I think where the MTSOs really lose out is that they end up with a staff full of people who are resentful. They are always ready to take their employers to the Labor Board. Because of the low pay rate, they don't research demos and new terms as well as they should in many cases. They start defensive MTing where they do a calculus, i.e., "I'll go ahead and put this; getting a small ding on my QA is worth not slowing down." The work product of an MT making 6 cents a line isn't the same as that of an MT making 14 cents a line. So then the MTSO get lots of negative feedback from the client. That's probably why there are few long-term relationships between MTSOs and hospitals. Then it's like musical chairs. MTs get laid off because their MTSO gets dumped. So they go to a new MTSO, and the whole thing starts again.

I just don't take it that seriously anymore. I have a couple of jobs, two that pay well and two that don't. If the higher paying jobs ask me to stay late or do extra work, no problem. If the low paying jobs ask for something, I just pretend like I don't see the e-mail. And you know what? If they magically started paying me better, my eyesight would improve, and I would start seeing their e-mails.

It's not a great employee perq, but I do value not feeling guilty for not being a team player something of a perq. If I'm not paid well, I rarely even read e-mails that are sent out, especially if I have to do it on my own time. And if I am required to go to a meeting for which I am paid, I make sure I have some knitting or something to do during the meeting.
The trick is never getting angry or hurt but rather only slightly amused by the entire dance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)