Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Lucy, you do have a real advantage, and your gram/punc - GoodGrief!

Posted: Jun 28th, 2017 - 5:15 pm In Reply to: Not helpful - Lucy

are just as good as others not bothering to polish it up.

BUT, have you ever heard of, for instance, Watson? And other incredible AI advances that will make many jobs like this obsolete before long?

I already have the skills and experience you imagine you want to achieve, and I can promise you vastly underestimate the learning curve in this work, even with your skills. It'll be months at least before your use of language and word expander make you fast enough to earn as much per hour as a Walmart cashier. If you weren't a nurse, I'd estimate well over a year.

Wondering if you should spend $200? As a retired nurse, you should be worrying about investing thousands in lost wages from nursing-related work. You will be moving from the professional, increasing wages side of the wage gap to the exploited worker bottom side of the wage gap, and all that means.

And when jobs start tightening up big time, as they certainly will, you will be even older in a labor market that discriminates heavily against older women. You of course will not have invested the time and money to keep your nursing credentials up (very possibly won't be able to afford to without dipping into savings). Your current skill set will be so narrow that, if you need money, you can't even compete with a high-school grad for an office job, not that you'd be hired. And you will be competing for any MT job that might come along with thousands of out-of-work MT/editors with skills as good or better than yours.

Suggest you pass on by. But this is my good deed for the day, and I invested this time hoping others will read it too. If you go ahead, remember: Just like many of those who end up whining here, you were warned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)