Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

That is very good advice but . . . - Consider the opposite

Posted: Dec 11th, 2015 - 7:45 pm In Reply to: this goes against the grain, but before you quit - StillAnMT

Take a long hard look at your budget, take a look at the taxes, and the costs of working (such as high speed internet, hardware, software, and power.) Take all of those costs out of your take-home pay and look at the amount that is actually left. Then look at your household budget.

What is your grocery bill? I suspect you could whack that in half by not ordering take-out, going for fast food, etc., (admit it you get tired after a long day) and by not using expensive packaged foods, high in chemicals, salt and fat and low in nutrition.

What would the food cost be if you were cooking from scratch, taking the time to clip some coupons and shopping the specials? Buying cheaper cuts of meat because you have the time to cook them properly, so they are juicy and tender.

Perhaps if you have a backyard, you could grow a lot of your own produce, and dry, freeze or can the remainder.

Does your husband buy his lunch at work? Consider how much money you might save if you packed his lunch most days, tasty nutritious sandwiches and fresh home baked goods.

Look at ways you can save money if you are at home not typing, you could hang your laundry out to dry rather than use the dryer for example (some of my happiest memories with my mother were on laundry when she would hang up the clothes to dry and I would "help."

You would have time walk or ride a bicycle to run errants (think about how good that would be for your health, plus how much your child would enjoy it.

Clothing for your family is another way you could really save, you would have time to replace zippers, buttons, pactch and mend, etc. You-Tube has wonderful how-to videos about how to do just about everything not only for sewing, but for cooking, gardening, and DIY home repairs.

In addition to being able to prolong the life of your family's clothing, you would have time to shop for bargains, clearance sales, etc., not to mention thrift shops and garage sales. And you could do some sewing.

Would your little one benefit from a play group? Here, you could kill two birds with one stone. For a small sum of money, you could run an after school day care for neighborhood children who might otherwise be latchkey.

Are you crafty? Perhaps there is a market for your crafts at nearby consignment-type stores, and your little one might have a wonderful time assisting you.

If you are losing about $200/month with this pay cut, that suggests to me that you are now grossing about $1800, with perhaps $1300 take-home? Is it not possible that letting this money go, freeing up your time to find ways to save this money every month, could be a viable option for you, especially when some of these health care insurance options are income based?

May I suggest that you and your husband sit down and crunch some numbers and see if this is do-able?

And if you did resign and tell your boss the reason is that the job is no longer worth it, what a powerful message that would send, especially if each and every one of you who are the second wager earner in the family decided to take a long hard look at your family's finances to see if you might be just as well off financially without that second income; not to mention the happiness for your entire family (including you) by having the attention, support and love of mother and wife available 24/7.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)