Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing

AGREE - Original Coder

Posted: Nov 21st, 2015 - 10:14 am In Reply to: Don't worry - Keep going

SMH, I agree with everything in the above post. I think that you need to keep things in perspective. A lot of the advertising you see right now on the part of MT companies who are looking to get into coding is a reaction to the shortage of coders that occurred with the implementation of ICD 10 in October. A lot of facilities are looking for overflow support and a lot of companies that existed before and have great reputations as employers are now looking for additional coders.

As the above coder indicated, coding has been around a long time. No facility in its right mind can afford to use a company that does not produce accurate, timely work. That kind of accuracy and timeliness requires expert coders, and that kind of coder is paid well by facilities and by other companies, so the standard MTSO practices that you are used to are unlikely to succeed in coding.

I do want to address the comment someone made about the coders on the site going ballistic when anyone mentions this subject. We are not going ballistic, but just stating the facts. If you don't know a lot about the industry you simply don't know a lot about the industry, certainly not enough to make suppositions about where it is going. Definitely not enough to make the claim that it is going the way of MT. Because we do know about the industry, we are in a better position to say where it might be going, so we are going to disagree with claims that are implausible.

I think you are very safe in continuing with your coding course, and I think you need to stop fretting and worrying about this. Doing so is not productive and it is not helping you advance in your studies. Your attention would be better focused on completing your course and getting your credentials, so that you can get a decent job. The better you do now and the better credentials you have, the better job you're going to get, and the less likely it will be that anyone can replace you.

On the other hand if you fail to learn what you should be learning now, you will end up squeaking by on certification exams, if you can pass them at all, your knowledge will be inadequate for the jobs that are available, and you will be someone who can be replaced.

The fact that established coding support companies are looking for additional employees should not disturb you. It is actually good for you, because it means that you may be able to get a remote position sooner than you would have a year ago. It also means that local employers have to relax their hiring standards, simply because they don't have experienced coders available.

You also need to remember that there are many more jobs in health information management that require a knowledge of coding, but which are not strictly coding. Any of us can move into those jobs. Coders have lots of options.

My advice to you is to apply yourself industriously and finish your course as quickly as possible, get your credentials, and get a job so that you can establish yourself in coding.

The truth is that there is no career that is guaranteed to provide every single graduate with a fabulous job that will last 30 years. If you can't come to understand that, you will end up starting and stopping training programs until the end of time. You can't keep quitting. Finish what you started.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)