A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

increased, elevated - Shella

Posted: Jan 27, 2012

Hello! 

Aren't increased and elevated the same? 

This is the sentence:

evaluate for increased elevated TSH.

Do I leave this as is or take out one of them?  Which do I take out?  Do I just need a comma?  Can I leave it as is?  Thanks!

NO, they are not! - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Increased is a relative term, so in order for something to be "increased" you have to have a (lower) point of reference.

Elevated means higher than the upper limit (NOT LIMITS!) of normal.

That is awkward wording at best; I have never seen both terms used that way. Is that exactly how it was dictated?

Yes! - Shella

[ In Reply To ..]
It was dictated that way, and I didn't think it sounded right. Do you have any suggestions for fixing it? Thanks!

To MT, since you brought it up... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"Upper limitS of normal" and "upper limit of normal" are both acceptable to use. (Just to note, Stedman's expands "ULN" to "upper limitS of normal.") However, context does play a role:

ALT has an upper limit of normal of ___ for her age group.

Her ALT was within the upper limits of normal for her age.

leave as is... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't change what was dictated. Perhaps the pt is known to have an elevated TSH, and they are monitoring for further increase.

Place a comma between the words.

Similar Messages:

Increased LDH, Increased Enucleated Cells And The Increased __________size In The Specimen.
Jan 11, 2011

Not sure if enucleated cells is correct and can't understand 'blank' - sounds like infasize??? ...

TNVSD Elevated???
Jan 11, 2010

Among other lab results, the doctor said what sounded like, "TNVSD elevated."  I have googled my head off with variations of this and can't come up with anything.  Any ideas? ...

Elevated Troponins
Dec 07, 2012

I have been coming across the words "troponitis" and "troponinitis."  Which is correct?  ...

Elevated Bath Rest
Oct 18, 2011

"...Coumadin, Percocet, Lovenox, and *s/l elevated bath rest*, as well as a scopolamine patch to apply prior to surgery."   This is for preop total hip arthroplasty. Thank you for the help! ...

Increased Pay On Holidays
Oct 26, 2011

Does anyone know if you get time and a half for work on holidays? ...

Increased Signal?
Mar 20, 2012

On MRI:  There is increased –signal?-- in the subacromial space, consistent with bursitis. I just can't hear what he says.  Thanks. ...

Protein Electrophoresis-elevated Capa?
Mar 17, 2010

Can someone tell me if it is elevated CAPA or cAPA- what is the proper designation?  ...

Pt Had A Significantly Elevated Antibody Level With
Jul 17, 2010

x ...

LVEF 60% Filling Pressure Probably Elevated.
May 22, 2012

I am really not good with matters of the heart (you know what I mean!) should it be: LVEF 60%, filling pressure probably elevated. or LVEF 60% filling pressure, probably elevated. I am thinking it is the first one. ...

Can You Have A Subtherapeutic INR With Elevated Coumadin Level?
Dec 01, 2012

Can you have a subtherapeutic INR with elevated Coumadin level? ...

Increased Arm Tone S/l In-con-gwent-ly
Oct 05, 2010

Patient with Parkinson disease.  During exam, doctor dictates "Resting tremor in the left arm was noted with increased tone (s/l in-con-gwent-ly) in the left arm." She is a pretty clear dictator, but I am stumped on this. Any thoughts? ...

Increased ASR, Less Straight Transcription??
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody notice increased ASR in the last week or 2, with less straight typing.  Just when I thought I had already hit the lowest I possibly could, they do this.  I was at least getting between 100-300 transcription lines before, now all the sudden lucky to get any.  My pay has already been deposited in the bank, down another $100 from before.  What do they want next, blood? ...

No Erythema, No Increased S/l Teeth?
May 31, 2012

There isn't much to this dictation other than, "There is no erythema. There is no increased *s/l T or teeth*. Patient is having their knee examined. Clear speaker, but the T or teeth doesn't make any sense to me. Any ideas? TIA   ...

How Will The Increased Level Of A&P Be Used In 2014 With ICD-10?
Sep 11, 2012

Does anyone know exactly why ICD-10 will require a greater knowledge of A&P? What else are we going to need more of? Why? ...

OTI Has Worked Increased On The T Account? Nm
Apr 16, 2013

nm ...

Increased Production With Fluency?
Jun 07, 2014

I just trained on a new account using Fluency, which I have never used before.  I was impressed with the features geared to increased production for the MT. I'm curious to hear from Fluency users as to whether you were able to increase editing production and if so, about how much? ...

Have They Increased Line Rates??
Oct 09, 2014

I noticed a couple of posts about companies paying 6.5 CPL. Was I right when I predicted they would have to increased rates to hang onto the experienced editors? Or are they paying that for transcription? ...

Decreased Wages, Increased LPH
Jan 07, 2015

In the past 4 years, my productivity requirements have risen 40 LPH, in 2014 our productivity bonus was taken away, now in 2015 our passing QA scores have been increased.    I feel sorry for anyone entering the MT field these days.    ...

Increased Volume Email From BR
May 15, 2015

Did anyone else receive an email from BR this morning stating we are to let her know if we are seeing an increased amount of work as she made changes to the settings so we'll receive more? They added this to our POD a week or two ago w/o letting us know and sent an email out after the fact. Nice to know they've added more work to our POD when we can't even clear out the work we're already getting... Thank you. ...

S/l Octreus Dye Scan For Elevated Chromatin Level?
Nov 16, 2009

This patient has dysautonomia and an elevated chormatin level.  He needs some type of scan done, and I need to verify.  Thanks!!  Abby ...

Help..in Lab Data, Doc Says White Count Elevated At 50.4 Thousand (sm)
Jun 29, 2011

This is a verbatim acct.  Would you type 50.4 thousand? ...

I Inserted A S/l Kathy And Elevated The Liver To Take Down The Adhesions
Oct 18, 2011

x ...

How Come No One's Talking About The Increased Line Requirement?
Dec 21, 2012

I'm aware of the increase in lines per hour to 186 (average between regular and edited) which I think might be a little challenging to sustain on a regular day-in and day-out basis, but why is no one discussing the increased weekly line requirements. It's a pretty significant jump.  ...

Article - Dictation And Transcription Will Be Under Increased Scrutiny
Dec 29, 2009

We'll see how this shakes out but what it looks like, according to this article, is that security will be forefront. To me this means that the vampire squids (the suits) who live and die for widespread databases will need to figure out how they can make their systems more secure. I think they can't if they continue the road their on. See below for recent article link.  http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/122109p10.shtml ...

MT Experience Helped Get A Job And Increased Starting Pay As Coder
May 12, 2015

I just wanted to post a word of encouragement to others looking for a coding job.  I'm currently working as an MT, studying coding at The Andrews School, passed my CPC exam in December and I just got my first job in coding.  Because of my MT experience, my new employer gave me "credit" for my MT experience and gave me a higher starting pay rate.  I haven't even finished my studies at Andrews yet.  The jobs are out there, and there are companies willing to hire new c ...

InScribe And UScribe..3cpl And Dragon (Nuance) For Increased Productivity?
Jul 13, 2012

These are the jobs we have to choose from with low pay and then this Dragon program is Nuance Dragon.  Isn't this VR which is again Nuance taking over everywhere?  Google Nuance and they say the Dragon program which is from India, and most hospitals now are going to this program and we get 3 cents.  Good sales pitches. ...

S/l Jugular Venous Pressure Is Elevated Above The Angle Of "Jilewey"
Dec 28, 2009

nm ...

Urine Demonstrated Elevated S/l Cap And Lamd Of Light Chains In Urine
Nov 20, 2009

. ...

It (the Thigh) Was Elevated To "esmarking", Tourniquet Inflated
Sep 29, 2011

1) Surgery site was discussed, "cleared upon a mark." 2) It (the thigh) was elevated to "esmarking", tourniquet inflated. ...

Sentence: His S/l "iron Arm?" And Noticed It To Be Elevated, And His Physician Had Tried T
Apr 26, 2012

Hello, am having trouble with this sentence. I don't think it's "iron arm", I think it is somthing to do with his iron level though, as further in the report referring back to the admission, iron is mentioned again as elevated above 90. Any ideas? Thanks ...