A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How will the increased level of A&P be used in 2014 with ICD-10? - Sunny

Posted: Sep 11, 2012

Does anyone know exactly why ICD-10 will require a greater knowledge of A&P? What else are we going to need more of? Why?

Answer - ICD-10 instructor

[ In Reply To ..]
Since I do not know if you are a coder already or a prospective student, I do not know why you are asking and will not be able to give a good answer.

The generic answer is that 10 is more detailed than 9 and requires more knowledge in order to select codes correctly. It is not just A&P, though. While that is part of it, you also need more pathophysiology. You need to knowmore about what diseases are, about their causes, signs and symptoms, what pathological changes occur, and so forth.

Coders who never had these courses, like some who learned on the job or in an AAPC-type program, may have difficulty with diagnosis coding. We already see that when those coders simply cannot code things like heart failure, hypertension, renal disease, and cancer, but it will get worse. More detail has already been added to 9 and we hear coders complaining about it. They think it is overkill and just too hard. "How am I supposed to know that? I'm a coder, not a doctor."

Coders will just need more knowledge. A lot are squeaking by now, but it will become harder to fly under the radar. This is especially true fof inpatient coders.

Inpatient coders have a special problem. the procedure codes in 10 are nothing like the old ones. For 10, you have to build every code as you go. Each is specific for the situation. You will not be able to memorize a lot of codes and keep using them over and over.

You will have to be able to say what catelegory of procedure it is, what end purpose it serves, the body system, the exact anatomy affected, and hw it is done, with what, and other things. You need a very detailed knowledge of anatomy for this - like the vascular anatomy of the upper arm. When does one artery divide and become known as something else? Where is a particular muscle located? In what ways are certain procedures performed and what types of stents, implants, etc. can be used?

MTs who have a lot of op note experience will have an advantage, I think.

A lot of coders are running around taking A&P courses willy-nilly and vendors are making money off this. Local chapters of professional organizations here are offering the same A&P taught in junior college HIT programs. I think it is silly because it is not enough. Those courses do not teach the level of detail that will be required. They do not teach pathophysiology, either. They are being marketed to coders who already had that in college and it was not enough. The watered-down pathophysiology course most programs use is not enough, either.

There are new books being published. I think the AMA and OptumInsight publish a couple. They are specifically or 10. One, at least, is specifically for procedures.

If you are looking for an A&P book, I would recommend Marieb - the big one, too. Or, try skipping it and going straight for pathophysiology. Porth is the most challenging, Huether and McCance second, and Gould third. Do not get anything else, especially not books intended for junior colleges or adult ed. Porth and Huether & McCance are for BSN and ARNP programs. You can understand them. They review anatomy in each section, which is why I think you can skip getting an anatomy text. Between Porth, say, and the AMa book, you should have what you need.

You do not need the latest edition of the pathophysiology books, but I would keep it within 5 years. Get one or two editions back. They are often quite cheap on Amazon.com.

Similar Messages:

Increased LDH, Increased Enucleated Cells And The Increased __________size In The Specimen.
Jan 11, 2011

Not sure if enucleated cells is correct and can't understand 'blank' - sounds like infasize??? ...

Digoxin Level - Dig Level.. Capitalize The "D?"
Jan 22, 2013

When typing "Dig level," does the "D" need to be capitalized?  TIA! ...

2014 EHR MANDATE
May 17, 2012

Has anyone heard what the specifics are for all medical records being EHR by 2014?  I am currently transcribing, no VR, and this would hugely affect my job.  After 28 years in this profession, I never thought I would be in this position at age 50.  I'm just sickened.  I just want to work, I HAVE to work, and feel I am just, along with everyone else, in a horrible spot.  I don't have any college education and if I lose this job, I have no idea what I will d ...

Best Way To Charge In 2014
Jul 21, 2014

Hi - I was just contacted by a neuropsychologist I worked for years ago in the office, about transcribing reports for him from home.  I have scoured the boards and I did not see anything current about what to charge. I live in western PA.  He says the reports are somewhat repetitive. If you charge by the page, does that mean half a page is the same price as a full page? I thought by the page would be simplest for calculating what they owe, but not sure.  Setting up how to receive ...

What Happens When Obamacare Starts In 2014?
Apr 02, 2011

I was wondering what my fellow MTs think is going to happen starting 2014 when Obamacare kicks in.  I had read an article in the NY Post a while back that 74% of MDs surveyed plan to work part time, retire from medicine, or go in a new direction careerwise.  Do you think we'll see a decrease in work available, even SR editing work?  Do you think that if a great amount of MDs cut back or retire from medicine that would cause our profession to lessen in demand? ...

If You Are Working A Platform Other Than DEP, By 2014, All Will
Oct 15, 2012

x ...

New QA Standard January 2014
Sep 23, 2013

They are now going to require 99.6% up from 99.5%.  Oh yeah.  How is this going to go?  Looks to me like a lot of us will be out.  Is this even humanly possible?  Maybe I should be a weatherman.  They can be wrong 50% of the time and keep their jobs.  HA. More stress for us.  It makes me physically ill anymore.  Too much stress. ...

Yikes, April 2014 And Windows XP
Dec 06, 2013

Who besides me has an Mmodal (and personal) XP system.  Apparently Microsoft will no longer be supporting this after April 2014.  What will we be doing for security? ...

Windows 7 And Mmodal And April 2014
Dec 23, 2013

I recently freaked when I found out MS was not going to be supporting XP after April 2014...I have a personal XP system and an Mmodal XP system. My supervisor said Mmodal would support XP after that; don't know what that means, but she will not let me exchange my Mmodal XP for a Windows 7 machine. I bought a Win7 laptop on Ebay.  So far, so good.  There are some new and some manufacturer refurbished still out there.  Also if you look on the Dell.com website, you c ...

DOES NEW QUARTER FOR FIESA START 01/01/2014?
Jan 01, 2014

Can't find this info anywhere ...

Amphion Line Rate As Of 2014
Feb 01, 2014

Can anyone tell me what Amphion pays per line for acute care transcriptionist with 30 years experience?  And, do they still only pay based on a 65-character line with no spaces paid for?     ...

Increased Pay On Holidays
Oct 26, 2011

Does anyone know if you get time and a half for work on holidays? ...

Increased, Elevated
Jan 27, 2012

Hello!  Aren't increased and elevated the same?  This is the sentence: evaluate for increased elevated TSH. Do I leave this as is or take out one of them?  Which do I take out?  Do I just need a comma?  Can I leave it as is?  Thanks!       ...

Increased Signal?
Mar 20, 2012

On MRI:  There is increased –signal?-- in the subacromial space, consistent with bursitis. I just can't hear what he says.  Thanks. ...

Electronic Medical Records Become Very Hot Since They Will Become Mandatory By 2014
Dec 22, 2009

How many amongst you have used any of the popular EMRs like practice partner(http://www.practicepartner.com),infraware (www.infraware.com). EMRs have suddenly become very hot since they will become mandatory by 2014. I had read some where that there are some security issues with them.What do you think are pros and cons with EMRs?     ...

MModal Health Benefits For 2014 Email
Oct 19, 2013

I have been offered a new job, aka escape route out of MModal. Everything about the new job makes me happy EXCEPT the high premiums for their insurance plans. Can we really believe the email from a couple days ago promising that our premiums for 2014 would stay the same as they were in 2013???? What's the catch? Is it an outright lie? ...

Increased Arm Tone S/l In-con-gwent-ly
Oct 05, 2010

Patient with Parkinson disease.  During exam, doctor dictates "Resting tremor in the left arm was noted with increased tone (s/l in-con-gwent-ly) in the left arm." She is a pretty clear dictator, but I am stumped on this. Any thoughts? ...

Increased ASR, Less Straight Transcription??
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody notice increased ASR in the last week or 2, with less straight typing.  Just when I thought I had already hit the lowest I possibly could, they do this.  I was at least getting between 100-300 transcription lines before, now all the sudden lucky to get any.  My pay has already been deposited in the bank, down another $100 from before.  What do they want next, blood? ...

No Erythema, No Increased S/l Teeth?
May 31, 2012

There isn't much to this dictation other than, "There is no erythema. There is no increased *s/l T or teeth*. Patient is having their knee examined. Clear speaker, but the T or teeth doesn't make any sense to me. Any ideas? TIA   ...

OTI Has Worked Increased On The T Account? Nm
Apr 16, 2013

nm ...

Increased Production With Fluency?
Jun 07, 2014

I just trained on a new account using Fluency, which I have never used before.  I was impressed with the features geared to increased production for the MT. I'm curious to hear from Fluency users as to whether you were able to increase editing production and if so, about how much? ...

Have They Increased Line Rates??
Oct 09, 2014

I noticed a couple of posts about companies paying 6.5 CPL. Was I right when I predicted they would have to increased rates to hang onto the experienced editors? Or are they paying that for transcription? ...

Decreased Wages, Increased LPH
Jan 07, 2015

In the past 4 years, my productivity requirements have risen 40 LPH, in 2014 our productivity bonus was taken away, now in 2015 our passing QA scores have been increased.    I feel sorry for anyone entering the MT field these days.    ...

Increased Volume Email From BR
May 15, 2015

Did anyone else receive an email from BR this morning stating we are to let her know if we are seeing an increased amount of work as she made changes to the settings so we'll receive more? They added this to our POD a week or two ago w/o letting us know and sent an email out after the fact. Nice to know they've added more work to our POD when we can't even clear out the work we're already getting... Thank you. ...

How Come No One's Talking About The Increased Line Requirement?
Dec 21, 2012

I'm aware of the increase in lines per hour to 186 (average between regular and edited) which I think might be a little challenging to sustain on a regular day-in and day-out basis, but why is no one discussing the increased weekly line requirements. It's a pretty significant jump.  ...

Article - Dictation And Transcription Will Be Under Increased Scrutiny
Dec 29, 2009

We'll see how this shakes out but what it looks like, according to this article, is that security will be forefront. To me this means that the vampire squids (the suits) who live and die for widespread databases will need to figure out how they can make their systems more secure. I think they can't if they continue the road their on. See below for recent article link.  http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/122109p10.shtml ...

MT Experience Helped Get A Job And Increased Starting Pay As Coder
May 12, 2015

I just wanted to post a word of encouragement to others looking for a coding job.  I'm currently working as an MT, studying coding at The Andrews School, passed my CPC exam in December and I just got my first job in coding.  Because of my MT experience, my new employer gave me "credit" for my MT experience and gave me a higher starting pay rate.  I haven't even finished my studies at Andrews yet.  The jobs are out there, and there are companies willing to hire new c ...

HCPCS 2014 Brings Two New Codes For Pain Management Effective July 1
Aug 12, 2014

The latest HCPCS code update that went into effect on July 1, 2014 is important for pain management practitioners and coders since it modifies the way you report some morphine and propofol administrations. Read more.. ...

InScribe And UScribe..3cpl And Dragon (Nuance) For Increased Productivity?
Jul 13, 2012

These are the jobs we have to choose from with low pay and then this Dragon program is Nuance Dragon.  Isn't this VR which is again Nuance taking over everywhere?  Google Nuance and they say the Dragon program which is from India, and most hospitals now are going to this program and we get 3 cents.  Good sales pitches. ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...