A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT experience helped get a job and increased starting pay as coder - Still an Andrews Student

Posted: May 12, 2015

I just wanted to post a word of encouragement to others looking for a coding job.  I'm currently working as an MT, studying coding at The Andrews School, passed my CPC exam in December and I just got my first job in coding.  Because of my MT experience, my new employer gave me "credit" for my MT experience and gave me a higher starting pay rate.  I haven't even finished my studies at Andrews yet.  The jobs are out there, and there are companies willing to hire new coders.  Good luck to those looking!

where? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Was this a remote job or at a specific location? I have not been able to start Andrews yet (but want to so badly!!)...but I have been concerned that there will not be any remote jobs out there when I get ready to apply. How has the course been for you so far? You have already passed CPC before finishing the course? That is amazing... how much longer do you have? I am a current MT of 15 years looking for encouragement for when I am able to start my coding "chapter of life." Thanks and congratulations!!

Don't ask her to give the name of the employer - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
It may not seem like a big thing to give the name of an employer, but they don't like it when they are talked about by name without their permission. You didn't ask her to reveal the name, of course, but somebody else probably will, and she shouldn't reveal it. It's not smart.

sorry for confusion - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't asking for a specific name, only generally speaking where was the job... I definitely would not ask specifics on this board.

Coder - declasse

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry to burst your balloon, dear, but coding is using CAC (computuer assisted coding) now, and it is spreading everywhere! This means coders will eventually become glorified editors, just like us MTs are now, correcting a machine's horrendous mistakes! And the pay rate will be lowered for coders. Some coders are actually losing their jobs altogether because of this implementation. Sorry, but wanted to inform you. :( Enjoy the money while you can, because it won't last, I'm sorry to say! :(

CAC has been around for many years - No balloons burst here

[ In Reply To ..]
The sky is falling! Or not. What pleasure can a person get from all that constant doom and gloom.

CAC - declasse

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/ftr_090208p20.shtml

This article was printed back in 9/2008, so I know a lot more technology has been implemented with CAC since then. I know of at least 6 coders right now just in my area who have lost their jobs recently due to CAC. Just sayin'! Nothing is secure anymore....whether you are an MT, coder, etc......If coders' jobs are not taken by CAC, they will most assuredly be downgraded in their pay. It is what it is, unfortunately, in our robotic world! I know of clinics that use computers as receptionists now, so they no longer have to employ a "real live" receptionist, and they think it reduces their overhead cost......?? :( Read the article, and research, and then form your own opinion. Being positive does not always MAKE things positive or better. The MT world has clarified that over the past 10 yrs or so! :( And it's not always easy to find another job outside of the same field some of us have been in for many, many, many years. Try to have a blessed day! :)
I'm looking at several coding job offers right now - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I enjoy communicating with my colleagues on this board who share the same coding career or are at least considering pursuing it. It's great to be in an encouraging, pleasant environment where people are moving forward in their career goals and helping each other on the way. The experienced coders on here are very much appreciated for all of the excellent advice and encouragement they give. Thanks to all of you.
Reminds me of something - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Has anyone seen that commercial where a couple is moving in. Instead of offering a helping hand, the neighbor tells them it's going to take them a l-o-n-g time to get moved in. They politely answer that they're making progress. He continues by telling them their cable won't be installed on schedule. The cable company van drives up to install the cable. Then, as he walks off, he says, "Your soil's all clay." That fits this situation so well. LOL.
Oh, let me help by quoting from that ... - Just trying to be helpful!
[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure why you felt this was so threatening. The whole thing is talking about exactly the opposite of your dire predictions.

Here, look ... "Itâs called computer-assisted coding for a reason, right? Healthcare organizations sporting the technology have learned that coders are more essential than ever."

Oh, and this ... "Since the rules on how to code physician services are payer specific, where a practice deals with multiple payers and the software does not account for this, the result will likely not be accurate,â says Michael D. Miscoe, JD, CPC, CASCC, CUC, CHCC, president of Practice Masters, Inc. âAs such, a coder would be needed to correct the coding prior to claim submission.â

I know you care about things like that. No, no need to thank me! Just doing my job!

Sorry, not entirely accurate. - An Actual Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
We have explained before what is false about your claim, yet here you are saying it again. One has to wonder what motivates you to do this. Why would someone who is not in coding feel that they had to hang around a coding board in order to spread false claims like that?

For those of you who are considering coding, CAC is not the same as SR. It is not reducing coders to editors. It is not eliminating jobs.

You will hear that the software that doctor's offices use for billing can "do the coding." But, what you might not know is that before that the DOCTOR did the coding, the job in those offices is BILLING, not coding, and that is not the job WE do.

The job we do involves more than plopping numbers onto bills. There is waaay more to it than that.

There are also a lot more jobs in coding than straight front-line coding. Even if that went away, we still have all of those. More being developed every day, too.

That is so funny - CAC sure isn't taking my job - sm - MT2coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Our 3M CAC is a joke. It surely doesn't code FOR us and it doesn't help us either. Half the time it doesn't even bring up ANY codes and it surely doesn't always bring up the RIGHT codes.

Coding is NOT like transcription as far as outsourcing. Get your facts straight. Once you are a coder, you can tell us how it is. Now, not so much.

oh big news flash - like the OP has never heard of it

[ In Reply To ..]
You think you are the only one with this knowledge? CAC. Big so what.

Congrats. I am an Andrews student also - and an MT.

[ In Reply To ..]
Tomorrow I have an interview for a coding position. Keeping my fingers crossed to at least get my foot in the door to work my way up. :)

Let us know how the interview goes tomorrow - Katherine

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll bet you will get that job. All of us with good hearts are wishing you well.

I wound up not taking the job. I did some - investigating and

[ In Reply To ..]
decided that it would be in my best interest not to go in that direction. It was hard because the money sure sounded good, especially when compared to doing MT work. I'm sure something better will come along soon. I will definitely keep looking and hopefully, before long, I will have that coveted CCS. :)
Sometimes the wisest thing is to not do someting - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Too many people jump into jobs without thinking. It sounds like you were very smart to consider what was in your long-term best interests. The next job probably has your name on it.

MT experience helped get a job and increased starting pay as coder - Still an Andrews Student - Looking for Coding

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for making this encouraging post. I am also an MT looking to make the change to coding. I appreciate hearing that someone else is doing what I am hoping to do very soon. Good Luck to you!!

You can do it! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Your story sounds almost identical to mine - sm - MT2coder

[ In Reply To ..]
All except for the Andrews part; I did not attend Andrews but I did have someone give me a chance after getting my CPC. Good luck to you!

Similar Messages:

Increased LDH, Increased Enucleated Cells And The Increased __________size In The Specimen.
Jan 11, 2011

Not sure if enucleated cells is correct and can't understand 'blank' - sounds like infasize??? ...

Starting Salary For New Coder With CCS
Dec 19, 2010

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the starting salary might be for an inpatient coder with CCS with no coding experience but with 5+ years transcription experience (NYC/NJ area).  I would like to know what the salary might be before I sign up for a course.  Thanks!  ...

My Experience MT To Coder
Jul 14, 2013

I just wanted to share my experience with those who are interested in reading.  I discovered this board about 2 years ago.  Actually, I used this board very frequently when I was a MT, and then discovered the coding/medical billing link and started to peruse the coversations.  I did what I could to find out how to research coding schools, ask the important questions, and I decided to attend Andrews.  Absolutely no regrets there.  I started my coding training first throug ...

Has Anyone Helped Someone Else Get Started?
Mar 14, 2010

Hello all!  It has been some time since I have posted here but used to visit quite often.  My daughter-in-law is just about to finish my transcription course materials (she has finished the book work and is working on transcribing the voice files).  She has already started applying to companies, however she is running up against the same issue we have all run up against as newbies "experience required."  I am willing to sign a confidentiality agreement, have her work beside ...

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

Pain In The Wrist Helped By "brafy Vac" Therapy? Sm
Feb 17, 2010

A patient who has a rotator cuff repair on the right and then started having pain to the left wrist after surgery.  The pain was 10/10 but recently has been helped by "brafyvac" or "brafyfac"  therapy?  Anybody know what that is? Thanks. ...

Increased Pay On Holidays
Oct 26, 2011

Does anyone know if you get time and a half for work on holidays? ...

Increased, Elevated
Jan 27, 2012

Hello!  Aren't increased and elevated the same?  This is the sentence: evaluate for increased elevated TSH. Do I leave this as is or take out one of them?  Which do I take out?  Do I just need a comma?  Can I leave it as is?  Thanks!       ...

Increased Signal?
Mar 20, 2012

On MRI:  There is increased –signal?-- in the subacromial space, consistent with bursitis. I just can't hear what he says.  Thanks. ...

Increased Arm Tone S/l In-con-gwent-ly
Oct 05, 2010

Patient with Parkinson disease.  During exam, doctor dictates "Resting tremor in the left arm was noted with increased tone (s/l in-con-gwent-ly) in the left arm." She is a pretty clear dictator, but I am stumped on this. Any thoughts? ...

Increased ASR, Less Straight Transcription??
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody notice increased ASR in the last week or 2, with less straight typing.  Just when I thought I had already hit the lowest I possibly could, they do this.  I was at least getting between 100-300 transcription lines before, now all the sudden lucky to get any.  My pay has already been deposited in the bank, down another $100 from before.  What do they want next, blood? ...

No Erythema, No Increased S/l Teeth?
May 31, 2012

There isn't much to this dictation other than, "There is no erythema. There is no increased *s/l T or teeth*. Patient is having their knee examined. Clear speaker, but the T or teeth doesn't make any sense to me. Any ideas? TIA   ...

How Will The Increased Level Of A&P Be Used In 2014 With ICD-10?
Sep 11, 2012

Does anyone know exactly why ICD-10 will require a greater knowledge of A&P? What else are we going to need more of? Why? ...

OTI Has Worked Increased On The T Account? Nm
Apr 16, 2013

nm ...

Increased Production With Fluency?
Jun 07, 2014

I just trained on a new account using Fluency, which I have never used before.  I was impressed with the features geared to increased production for the MT. I'm curious to hear from Fluency users as to whether you were able to increase editing production and if so, about how much? ...

Have They Increased Line Rates??
Oct 09, 2014

I noticed a couple of posts about companies paying 6.5 CPL. Was I right when I predicted they would have to increased rates to hang onto the experienced editors? Or are they paying that for transcription? ...

Decreased Wages, Increased LPH
Jan 07, 2015

In the past 4 years, my productivity requirements have risen 40 LPH, in 2014 our productivity bonus was taken away, now in 2015 our passing QA scores have been increased.    I feel sorry for anyone entering the MT field these days.    ...

Increased Volume Email From BR
May 15, 2015

Did anyone else receive an email from BR this morning stating we are to let her know if we are seeing an increased amount of work as she made changes to the settings so we'll receive more? They added this to our POD a week or two ago w/o letting us know and sent an email out after the fact. Nice to know they've added more work to our POD when we can't even clear out the work we're already getting... Thank you. ...

How Come No One's Talking About The Increased Line Requirement?
Dec 21, 2012

I'm aware of the increase in lines per hour to 186 (average between regular and edited) which I think might be a little challenging to sustain on a regular day-in and day-out basis, but why is no one discussing the increased weekly line requirements. It's a pretty significant jump.  ...

Article - Dictation And Transcription Will Be Under Increased Scrutiny
Dec 29, 2009

We'll see how this shakes out but what it looks like, according to this article, is that security will be forefront. To me this means that the vampire squids (the suits) who live and die for widespread databases will need to figure out how they can make their systems more secure. I think they can't if they continue the road their on. See below for recent article link.  http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/122109p10.shtml ...

InScribe And UScribe..3cpl And Dragon (Nuance) For Increased Productivity?
Jul 13, 2012

These are the jobs we have to choose from with low pay and then this Dragon program is Nuance Dragon.  Isn't this VR which is again Nuance taking over everywhere?  Google Nuance and they say the Dragon program which is from India, and most hospitals now are going to this program and we get 3 cents.  Good sales pitches. ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Increased S/l "fresic" Activity During The REM Period
Oct 22, 2010

Doc has Indian accent, dictating PSG report:  There was increased s/l "fresic" activity during the REM period that may suggest an added REM behavioral disorder.  Any help is appreciated! ...