A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Was told by MModal QA C diff is not a proper term - sm

Posted: Feb 25, 2013

Ive been using this for years and years and NEVER got a ding on it...anyone have further info on this?

I think it all depends on - account specs

[ In Reply To ..]
If it's strictly verbatim and doctor dictates C. diff, then transcribe it C. diff. If otherwise, I'd expand. One account I have only wants C. diff expanded to C. difficile. Others want the whole thing expanded. Go by your instructions.

God..this is killer have about 9 million different - I know I let it as dictated..nm thanks

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Here are the - BOS guidelines

[ In Reply To ..]

21.1.3 Genus and Species Names

Use initial caps for all taxa, except for the second portion of the binomial species name.

EXAMPLE

Haemophilus influenzae
Escherichia coli
Staphylococcus aureus

It is acceptable to abbreviate the genus portion of a binomial species name, but only if dictated. In formal publication, spell out the genus portion on first mention and use the abbreviated genus portion thereafter. The use of a period after the genus name abbreviation is acceptable, but both AHDI and the AMA recommend dropping it.

EXAMPLE

H influenzae
E coli
S aureus

Do not begin a sentence with an abbreviated genus name; either expand or recast the sentence.

EXAMPLE

D: C difficile is the most likely culprit here.
T: Clostridium difficile is the most likely culprit here.
or:
T: The most likely culprit here is C difficile.

Do not capitalize genus names used in plural and adjectival forms, when they are used in the vernacular, or when they stand alone.

EXAMPLE

staphylococcus
group B streptococcus
staphylococci
staphylococcal infection
staph infection
strep throat

Do not abbreviate the genus name when the species name is included in full expression.

EXAMPLE

D: She has had 2 cases of Staph aureus in the last year.
T: She has had 2 cases of Staphylococcus aureus in the last year.

The suffixes Ă¢€“osis and Ă¢€“iasis indicate disease caused by a particular class of infectious agents or types of infection. Do not capitalize terms formed with these suffixes.

EXAMPLE

amebiasis
dermatophytosis

When organisms with genus names that begin with the same letter are mentioned in the same document or article, the full scientific name should be used on first mention to avoid genus ambiguity. Thereafter, the abbreviated genus portion is acceptable if dictated.

EXAMPLE

D: Nosocomial infections caused by either S aureus or S faecalis are quite common.
T: Nosocomial infections caused by either Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus faecalis are quite common. (abbreviate thereafter if dictated)

Do not use 2-letter abbreviations for the species name (even if dictated). If unable to confidently expand those based on previous expansion in the text, leave a blank and flag the report. When these 2-letter abbreviations are used as part of a longer disease-entity abbreviation, they are acceptable.

EXAMPLE
EHEC enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli
MRSA methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus

In formal publication, express changes in genus in parentheses with the qualifier formerly.

EXAMPLE

Helicobacter (formerly Campylobacter) pylori

Express changes in species by expressing the entire binomial in parentheses with the qualifier formerly.

EXAMPLE

Bacteroides ureolyticus (formerly Bacteroides corrodens)
Is this BOS 3? - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yeah, 3rd edition from Benchmark KB - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
when BOS comes to shove - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
I always assume MModal wants us to put in whatever form will pay us the least.

Mmodal wants difficile spelled out - in their MModal guidelines

[ In Reply To ..]
Read MModal guidelines.

thanks all...greatly appreciated as usual - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

My MModal QA told me to use c diff - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
May depend on account. A lot of abbreviations MModal previously disallowed are now acceptable (sat, satting, pulse ox, ad nauseum). If in doubt, I always email her and ask, and I get told.

Similar Messages:

Shift Diff Vs CMT Diff -- Just For Clarification
Jan 02, 2011

Shift differential is applied to lines transcribed after, say, 6pm.  MQ's shift diff was 1/2 cpl for lines transcribed 6pm-midnight EST, and 1 cpl for lines transcribed midnight-6am EST.  Now, it appears MQ's shift diff is 3/4 cpl for lines transcribed 9pm-5am EST. CMT differential is simply an increased line rate, regardless of when the lines are transcribed.  It's basically a higher rate of pay for obtaining certification.  The shift diff would be in ad ...

Why Are We Told This Is Slow Time Of Year? MTSO Told Me This
Dec 09, 2010

make up all late reports, etc for the end of the year.  At my MTSO it is anything but slow, Getting lots of reports from Sept and Oct. ...

Is It C-dif Or C-diff??
Oct 14, 2009

Sorry, I can't find the search box - is it gone?? ...

S/l C-diff SA , Not Sure Of The SA
Sep 09, 2010

doc says: " C-diff SA is negative" I can't find SA ...

C. Diff Or C Diff?
Jul 08, 2011

Should you use a period when typing C. difficile or C. diff or not?  I've been typing C diff forever, and was just told to put a period after the C. ...

Big Diff Tiers 2 And 3?
Dec 08, 2009

Is there an appreciable difference, cpl-wise, or job security-wise, between tiers 2 and 3?  Is it worth it to tier up?  I'm pretty happy at tier 2, but don't know whether it makes sense to stay here. ...

C Diff Toxins
Apr 27, 2010

Hi, I do not know how to type a lab test.  He says C diff toxins.  Would that be typed as C. diff toxins? Thanks   ...

C-diff And S/l Tricholitis
Jun 06, 2010

The doctor is listing past medical history and as one number lists the following together C. difficile and s/l tricholitis.  Any suggestions?  THANKS for any and all help!! ...

Do We Still Get Shift Diff?
Feb 06, 2012

I searched the new site high and low and nothing states that we get shift diff still.  It was like .005 cents for some hours and .01 for others at night.  Thanks guys. ...

Diff Between Companies
Sep 15, 2013

can anyone out there tell me what kind of differences there are between transcription companies? most important thing i'd like to know - are there any companies out there that actually assign accounts to their transcriptionists, where you're not getting a thousand different dictators a week and you can actually get used to how your docs dictate? i find it very hard to do different stuff all the time. i just can't seem to get used to how the docs speak, and it really slows me down ...

Shift Diff
Jan 20, 2014

I don't see any shift diff on my stub, how do you know if you qualify?  I know dumb question right?  at one time I was told that since I was "hourly" and tier 3 I was at the highest rate already, but then they changed us to production pay, so shouldn't that mean I qualify for shift diff.  I will ask HR, but just curious if anyone get shift diff pay? ...

Another Thing About The Shift Diff Pay Cut.......
Dec 26, 2010

Why they don't just do away with it altogether is beyond me; they may as well, it's just an insult to our intelligence.  I'd rather just them just say, "sorry, no more bonuses, no more shift diffs."  It reminds me of when they did away with the production bonus early last year but replaced it with a "raise" for all of us.  It sounds good on paper until you sat down and figured it out........and for most of us the raise amounted to literally pennies a day.  So ...

Pt With Questionable C. Diff On S/l Empire Treatment.
Oct 17, 2009

This is under the impression, questionable C. diff positivity.  She is on s/l empire treatment.  Any ideas? ...

Not A Medical Term, A Descriptive Term I Think
Jun 04, 2012

In the general portion of the physical exam the blank sounds like visily. She is a happy little girl sitting in mother's lap, grinning at me, and _____ eating Cheetos. ...

What Is The Proper Way
Aug 01, 2010

crow's feet crows' feet crows feet THANKS!!  ...

What Is The Proper Way To Write...
Jun 11, 2010

What is the prope way to type this out:   five-tenths of a cc. I have been typing 0.5 cc, but I am thinking maybe it should be 0.05 cc.  Please help set me straight!  Thanks! ...

Proper Height
Jul 16, 2010

What is the current proper form for height when the doc says "height five-five?"  I am so paranoid about everything now with MQ. ...

Which Is The Proper Way - T3N0 Or T3 N0 Or T3, N0 Or T3-N0
Oct 20, 2011

Is there a right or wrong way.  I'm researching and all of those come up. Thanks, ...

Proper Use Of Hispanic
Mar 07, 2012

I was wondering if I should correct this doctor. He said She is Hispanic speaking, but Hispanic isn't a language. Should I put Spanish? ...

Proper Use Of Plurals
Apr 02, 2013

Ok, is it proper to say "bottoms of both feet" or "bottom of both feet"?? My dictator and I have been going around and around on this...please help! ...

Proper Names
Apr 10, 2013

It must be too early.  I've talked myself in and out of this but need a little help here.  In names such as Martinez, when the sentence is, "she was sent from Dr. Martinez's office" is it Martinez's or Martinez'.  Told you it was early.  Would appreciate the help please.  Thank you.  ...

Proper Format
Dec 05, 2014

MD dictates C5-6... I usually change this to C5-C6, as it seems that is the more correct way.  Should C5-6 be used? ...

Proper Way To Type It
Dec 19, 2014

Doc just says in Diagnosis "3 4 neuroma" Should that be 3/4, 3-4, 3,4 or other? ...

Proper Way To Type A Word
Feb 08, 2010

Just wondering...what is the proper way of typing CO2? ...

Is It Proper To Write - Three ML Of Anesthesia
Jun 30, 2010

Doing a report and they begin the sentence with -  3 mL of anesthesia.  Can't find this in the BOS or anywhere.   Is it proper to type Three mL of anesthesia, or is this an exception to start a sentence with 3 mL.   Thanks, mt ...

What Is The Proper Etiquette In Most Settings If You Don't
May 20, 2010

You can challenge them if you feel certain they are wrong, yes? Is it not koshur to question them too often?  How about 2 challenges that you prevailed on, but by the third question are they sick of you anyway, never mind you were right the first 2 times. ...

Epis Proper Abbreviation?
Dec 18, 2010

As in epithelial cells, if dictated as "epis", what is the proper way to type that? I saw one place "epis", one "EPIs". Help appreciated, I am currently lacking the appropriate reference material for abbreviations and cannot find this info online. tia ...

What Is The Proper Way To Abbreviate Subcutaneous?...
Mar 19, 2011

subcu, sub-cu, sub-Q, etc..?  TIA ...

What Is The Proper Way To Type SubQ?
Mar 28, 2014

Warfarin subQ b.i.d. TYIA. ...

I Hope This Is The Proper Forum To Ask
Oct 10, 2014

ANYONE who uses Windows 7 and Enterprise Express Editor..help me! I need to know how to go backwards to put in the date that a doctor saw a patient.  On my old program, EXText, I did CTRL J and it went back.  Now, it says that macros are disabled.  I don't know how to make this work.  ANYONE out there able to help me?  I just went from an XP to a Windows 7 and from ExText to Enterprise Express Editor.  They are very similar programs but these little changes are ...