A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

been switched to VR, last 3 years making 20K less a year! Fed up! - going back to college

Posted: Jan 18, 2011

I need to vent about this and am wondering if I am the only one out there.  After my initial 2 years of in-house experience, I started working for a company and was there for over 7 years and made 33K a year.  The last 3-4 years since making the transition to VR, my pay has gone down to 13-14K a year.  That's a 20K loss per year!!!  I am not a happy camper.  I haven't been in this field for 13 years for my pay to go DOWN!  And what makes me the most angry is these companies are still charging the hospitals the same amount while we get screwed with half-pay line counts and I see some companies paying even less!  I get 4 cpl for VR and I have seen some companies paying 3 cpl for VR.  I never used to need food stamps and the last 3-4 years, I do.  I can't afford to go on vacations anymore, I can't afford to do anything.  I bust my butt day and night sometimes working 12 and 13-hour days JUST to pay the bills and sometimes I can't even do that anymore!  I feel like my life is being wasted away these last 3-4 years.  I work only to pay the bills.  That is no life for anyone!  I went to college and have 13 years experience.... you would think that would account for something, but apparently not!  On top of our pay going down, there are NEVER any raises in this field.  The entire 13 years I've been doing this, my pay has NEVER gone up.  It's always been 8 cpl straight typing and 4 cpl VR.  Prices of living have gone significantly up, which only adds to my frustration.  I get jack for child support, so my child has only me to count on.  Something must be done!  I recently enrolled in a 4-year college.  I love transcribing, but I just can't take working for pennies any longer!  I know people who never attended a college of any kind and make more than I do!  Isn't hindsight something!  Oh, if I could go back knowing what I know now, I never would have entered this field!  What a waste of my years!  Instead of going up the ladder, I'm going down.  Pretty soon, I'll be paying them to work!

You're not alone, my experience has been similar. - 35+ years experience and nothing to show for it, n

[ In Reply To ..]

MT is a BIG JOKE to me now, almost a "con" game... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Neither of you are alone! Aggravation, anxiety, tears, you name it. 36 years experience after college for me and I'm now back to what I was making in 1974! And back then I even had benefits! Now, after 22 years of owning my own home and supporting myself, I have to walk away from it. Can't even afford to sell it. How pathetic.

I too am making about 60% less than I made 20 years ago when we consistently got raises, Great Benefits, Vacation (!!), sick days, bonuses and medical insurance, all of which I do Not get now. HA! The good 'ole days are long gone. Now I'm happy just to clear $14K to $16K a year.

I was once very happy and proud of my work, certified for 21 years, made it into Who's Who. Now I feel nothing but a total failure working for .04/line VR and 0.8/line straight typing. Doesn't even begin to compare to what I earned less than 10 years ago. And what I've got to show for all the CRAP is a foreclosure on my home. I'm way past Disgusted and Fed Up with this so-called "profession" and what the national association feels is the best way to "professionalize" our oh-so glamorous field of cheap labor!!!

Yep, hindsight is a gift if we have it before we need it! And to think I made better money as an MT typing on a manual typewriter...

Congrats on a very positive move, GoingBack. - You do not say what you are studying, but

[ In Reply To ..]
but I imagine you've chosen something that has you all excited but is also relatively cut-proof and off-shore proof. What we're experiencing here is typical of so many changing or vanishing positions in many fields.

Please cut yourself a break over spending all these years at this. Millions of people are finding themselves in that same boat with you these days. The need to change fields several times over a lifetime has become a norm that so many don't understand and so are totally unprepared for. Living mentally in their parents' era of one job for decades, the time for big change arrives again and again as an unforeseen and devastating shock; and preparing for a good new position is, of course, hardest for those with least education. Really, you're in a much better place than many in having prior college to build on. Some HS grads go from the senior clerk position they spent a decade moving into to something like driving a forklift at Walmart--if they qualify for training.

In any case, please let us know what you decide to study and work toward. At some point we'll most of us have to make that brave new choice once again. I confess I've been lagging, hoping this work, or some transitional variation, will last at least until I can't work any more anyway. :)

4-year college for what career? Many college grads can't find jobs - Everyone is losing $ these days

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone I know is losing pay, no matter what kind of education they have or what career field they are in. Our economy stinks. Will it get better? I'm not so sure it will.

I agree completely and have jumped ship - catmom

[ In Reply To ..]
I have found everything you said to be true and have been in the same boat. I have supported myself and my children well for the past 12 years. I had an MTSO send me a contract with a pay cut recently with an email that said, BTW, your payrate change is retroactive to the beginning of the year. So I said good bye and found a new job doing something different. Life is to short to work for such jerks!

Similar Messages:

Do You Any MTs Making $50,000 Or More Per Year?
Nov 11, 2009

Does anyone know personally of any MT who makes $50,000 a year or more?  A college recruiter called me at home one night and asked what I did for a living and when I told her I did not make that kind of money she said "I was told most MTs make around $50,000 a year.  Only in my dreams.  LOL.  ...

EVERY MT Should Be Making $70K Per Year
Nov 22, 2011

That's right!  If you are working FT as an MT and are NOT making at least $70,000 per year, you are either: * Lazy/Not ambiious or determined enough.  Your skill set is low and you haven't beefed it up with extra classes, etc. because you are INDOLENT. * Stupid/Sloppy:  Your quality sucks, your work is rife with errors, you are not a "perfectionist." *  You are a loser with low self-esteem, otherwise you would be commanding and getting 0.12 per line for your ...

She Is Making $350,000/year/+bonuses
Oct 15, 2012

What a load of BS ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

Question For MTs That Have Switched To VR
Apr 20, 2010

I have only been doing this since February but I hate it.  I have no motivation and my production stinks.  How much more time should I give it before I give up on it?  I really wanted to try it; love the company I work for, just am not making enough money.  I have to admit, though my attitude is terrible.  I don't even want to get out of bed and go to work these days anymore.  How long did it take for you guys to make the change?  I have been an MT for 27 ...

Company Just Switched Over To VR. Sm
Apr 29, 2010

How long is reasonable to get yourself up to speed on a new VR platform before you throw in the towel?  I know it learns as it goes, but it doesn't seem to be learning very much, very fast, to me.  ...

Being Switched To Different Platform
Aug 19, 2011

I'm fairly new at the Q. Good line rate to start (10 cpl) on straight typing, but the account with all that straight typing has gone away and now I'm getting only VR editing (4 cpl) on a different account. I asked to be placed back on a straight typing account and they're switching me to a Spheris Legacy Platform next week. Can anybody give me a clue as to what the heck that might entail? I supposedly have to do some E-training first. Anyone familiar with this platform, please giv ...

For Those Who Have Switched Careers
Feb 15, 2012

I am considering going to school to get a certificate/AA type of training, possibly in MA, pharm tech, or massage therapy, that sort of thing.  If you have experience with this, did you run into the "newbie" catch-22 thing where you have to have experience to get a job or can you usually find something right out of school? ...

For Former MTs Who Switched To Coding:
Apr 10, 2015

Which do you prefer?  I actually like MT.  I find it interesting & satisfying to create a perfect report.  The pay going downhill is what I don't like...  I'm wondering if I would like coding & would love to hear from former MTs your thoughts on the similarities/differences and pros/cons. ...

Has Anyone Had An Account Switched To
Jun 03, 2015

I have to wonder if that's what is happening on Enterprise at the moment. Honestly, the OOW is shocking. You can't claim holiday slowdown when the holiday was almost 2 weeks ago, can you? I always remember 4th of July being slow, but really it's just the beginning of June, so what is this going to be, months of nothingness in the beautiful summer weather, sitting in front of your monitor 12 hours a day waiting for work all day and night? Sick to death of OOW, sick of flexing all ...

Help Please - I Switched To That New Google Browser
Oct 18, 2009

and now when I try to bring up statistics using F9 in Docuscribe, I get an error message.  I'm not too computer savvy, but I'm sure it must be the new browser.  Other weird things happened too, like I can't read the posts here (Luckily I didn't get rid of my old browser so I am using it now).  Other than that problem though, Google Chrome browser is better and faster than the old one I was using (Avant), but if it doesn't work well in DQS, I'll have t ...

Just Curious.. . . Since We Have Switched Over To The New Region .. . .
Feb 07, 2010

I have not been able to go back and pull reports from before the switchover?  Is there any way to access that, or do we have to call Support? ...

How Long Did It Take To Retrain Your Eye When You Switched To VR?
Jun 16, 2010

I started a VR job just over two weeks ago.  I actually really like it.  It's on the Dictaphone platform which is one of the better ones, the drafts for the most part are pretty good and I find the work interesting. My problem is switching my "eye" from typing and reading to editing.  Plus, my prior job, which is now a part time IC job wasn't as picky about the BOS.  This new one is all about the BOS.   The new job also wants all numbers written as n ...

Switched To New Med From Risperdal S/l Invasia
Aug 09, 2010

Child has been less aggressive, less impulsive, since switching to the *invasia* from Risperdal ...

Has Anyone Ever Requested To Be Switched To A Particular Hospital/CCM?-NM
Nov 30, 2011

I worked for over 10 years on the same hospitals and then last spring new hospitals were added to my work load.  These new hospitals were then moved to a new CCM.  Work was plentiful, at first straight typing.  All was good until it turned to ASR and now the work seems to have dried up (I think that Indian drought).  I'm tired of bouncing around and would like to be moved back to my old accounts and old CCM, no complaints with the new CCM, just want to work steady and I ...

Switched To New Computer And Normals Are Not There
Dec 05, 2011

Just switched to the new computer and all my saved reports and normals/templates are not there.  It keeps saying user profile failed to update.  Is that why and what can I do about getting all my saved normals back.  This is awful.  ...

Switched Over To Verizon Wireless.
Jul 12, 2012

I have had HughesNet satellite for the last 2 years.  This has been extremely slow and lots of down time with weather.  So I was told that Verizon would be much better.  Now that it is installed, I am disappointed to see how slow this is.  My download time is so bad, I doubt any company would hire me or maybe they would, but with all the waiting for downloading of files, I could never get a good line count.   Supposedly Verizon says they are putting up more po ...

Can Anyone Who Has Switched To E-BYTX Give
Feb 26, 2013

make the transition a little easier?  Is it important to be proficient in word or can you just know the basics?  I have been hearing that numbering is a real problem.  ...

OOW - Switched To Garden Sites
Feb 12, 2015

We ran out of TAT last week and I guess our supervisor missed out on some bonus because of it.  Tightening down on schedules/hours/procedures for not showing up for work or showing up late were reiterated to us. Guess some took it seriously cause now the work is slim. Had been getting stressed with having to flex or use up PTO, today I spent the last hour on gardening web sites and looking through seed catalogs.  Feel relaxed now and ready to prepare a little lunch and then check back ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

Switched To Word 2010 And Now I Need To Create Macro
Nov 30, 2011

I just switched to Word 2010 and now I need to create Macros.  I'm lost.  Is there anyone who can help?  So far all the instructions people have given are for Word 2007 and it's just gotten me more confused. ...

Client Just Switched To NextGen; Does This EHR Allow Remote Transcription?
May 27, 2014

I sure hope so. ...

Year Old Versus Year-old
Aug 28, 2014

If no noun following such as female or male should this be hyphenated, i.e. if stated "A 10 year old has stomachache".... should it be "A 10-year-old has stomachache" ..... ...

Pt Relapsed And Was Switched To "pez Ol Pa Mib". (chemo)
Dec 15, 2010

? ...

Pt Switched From Estrogen Cream To "lipo Hydro Cream"
Jan 19, 2012

she was started on vaginal estrogen cream due to a diagnosis of vaginal eczema.  This was switched to "lipohydrocream" upon her diagnosis of breast cancer. ...

Making Less And Less
Oct 17, 2009

First there was line count....then there was ASR.....now there is MME. Does anyone know how much less they are making doing MME?  I just started and I am not making any money. Who is doing the work on the accounts that we used to do? ...

Making Even Less
Oct 20, 2009

I have just been switched to another BoB because we lost several accounts in the BoB I was in....now I have to learn all new accounts....at 3 cpl I will end up owing MQ money!! ...