A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

question for MTs that have switched to VR - frustrated former MT

Posted: Apr 20, 2010

I have only been doing this since February but I hate it.  I have no motivation and my production stinks.  How much more time should I give it before I give up on it?  I really wanted to try it; love the company I work for, just am not making enough money.  I have to admit, though my attitude is terrible.  I don't even want to get out of bed and go to work these days anymore.  How long did it take for you guys to make the change?  I have been an MT for 27 years, can this old dog learn this new trick?

VR - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Working nearly 100% VR at MedQuist has pummeled my salary down to minimum wage on many days.

It's all about the platform and how well it works with the accounts. Our VR platform at MQ is horrible.

Switch to VR - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing VR for a couple of years. I have gotten used to it to the point that it's hard to do a regular transcription note (which I very rarely do). The only thing I don't like about it is that my pay has gone down and I haven't heard anyone say that their pay has gone up after switching to VR. It's always down. It seems to be the wave of the future. You mentioned "giving up on it" but do you have the choice to go back to regular transcription? Even though I made more doing regular transcription, now only the most horrible doctors are on regular transcription so going back wouldn't even help. In short, you will get used to it over time (hard to say how long, several months probably) but your pay will probably never recover.

can you elaborate on how much your pay has gone down? - not being snoopy

[ In Reply To ..]
I am just used to making in excess of $20/hour with transcription. Only a couple of times in the past two months have I achieved even $11/hour. I am told $16 is reasonable. I can live with that with benefits. But how realistic is this at .04/line for VR?

Pay on VR - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
My pay has probably gone down by about $2 per hour. I get 5 cents a line for VR. If it were 4, I couldn't live on it.

VR - ColtsFan

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been doing VR for several years and my biggest problem is that it doesn't hold my attention like actual transcribing did. I have found that if I set hourly goals for line counts that gives me a little more motivation and tends to keep my mind on my work. My line count has gone up considerably.

Okay, that sounds like a plan. What is realistic? Is 200 lph a fair shot for someone like me? - thx for help

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

VR goal - ColtFan

[ In Reply To ..]
I would probably set a goal a little higher than you currently are achieving and keep increasing it maybe weekly. I have a goal of 300 lines an hour now. I don't always make it due to some rotten reports but sometimes go above it, so it averages out pretty well. Just don't set it too high so that you're setting yourself up to fail from the start. Good luck!

VR goal - ColtsFan

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought of something else that helps quite a bit. Always increase the playback speed as much as you can. I don't increase it as much as possible, I'm afraid I'll miss something. I just increase it to where I still can comfortably understand the dictator. You can always slow it back down if you come across something you don't understand. This really does make a difference.

That's good advice. I was told that people working where I work do 400-500 lph SM - coltsfan2

[ In Reply To ..]
and I feel very depressed. I dont do anywhere near that. I use M-modal

Thank you!! You have given me some hope to improve my production and pay!! I appreciate all of your - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
IMO, 400-500 lph is not average for an M-Modal MT - what I mean to say
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that 400-500 lph on M-Modal is NOT average. The average M-Modal MT (after many months) seems to get somewhere in the range of 200-250 lph, and maybe up to 300 lph if they are really good.

Where I worked, I was considered "good" and I averaged somewhere between 180 and 280 lph. There were many of the company's MT who were below that (I found this out from management). I was also told that their company-wide MT average on M-Modal was 240 lph.

In one of our ASR training sessions, we were told that M-Modal said that there is an MT who averages 500 lph working in M-Modal. Hmmm...."an MT" who averages 500 lph. That in itself sort of tells you that this is not your average MT.

I've heard that Escription is better for ASR, so maybe 400-500 lph may be possible on that program. But in my experience, it is a very rare MT who can achieve line rates like that in M-Modal.

I honestly don't mean to rain on your parade, but just didn't think it was right for you to become depressed and berate yourself if you can't achieve 400-500 lph, because again, it is not average if you're working in M-Modal and 200-300 lph would probably be more realistic.
Hmm.... - After only 2 weeks
[ In Reply To ..]
on M-Modal, 2 people on my team have already broken the 400 mark, and 10 more have broken 300.

And I know for a fact that some of these people have never done editing before, ever.
This probably has to do with your company's - specific M-Modal settings
[ In Reply To ..]
Here's a little information about how the ASR engine works on the backend of things, which the MTSO's IT department knows, but the MTs down in the trenches usually don't know.

When companies enable a dictator on ASR, one of the options that they can set is a percentage of how much the ASR engine is getting correct on that particular dictator.

If the company sets this percentage for say 75% (meaning that 75% of what ASR gets is correct and 25% was incorrect and has to be edited), the ASR reports that come through on the MT's end will be worse and will require a lot more editing.

However, if the company sets this option for say 90% (meaning that the ASR engine is getting 90% correct and only 10% has to be edited), the reports that the MT sees will be much better and require much less actual editing.

Many companies will set this percentage on the lower side so they can get more dictators enabled on ASR quicker. The MTSOs pay their ASR editors much less than they pay the traditional transcriptionists, so companies usually want to get the majority of the dictators moved over to ASR as quickly as possible. And this is the best way to do it...to lower the acceptable percentage of accuracy and set them for 75% instead of 90%.

The only problem with this is that, on the MT's side of things, they are working harder, editing 25% (or 1 out of every 4 words) in the document as opposed to editing 10% (or 1 out of 10 words).

I am using these percentages only as an example, because the MTSO can set this to anything they want. I have just seen that the tendency is for them to set this on the lower end in order to save money on their own internal transcription costs.

So, this is the reason why many MTs can never get up to that promised "productivity increase"...because the MTSO has set the acceptable accuracy rate too low. And this is what affects the MTs. It has them working hard, editing more of the report (in some cases every other word in the document), and this is what results in the MT's overall lower LPH.

Perhaps the company that you work for is one of the better ones where the MTSO has set the M-Modal percentage rate at the very high end. The more correct the ASR documents are, the faster the MT can go. It's all relative: More actual editing means lower LPH for the MT, while better and more accurate reports require less editing and thus a higher LPH for the MT.

The only way for the MT to know what percentage their MTSO is using for this option is to ask them. The good MTSOs will be honest and will tell you. Other MTSOs will probably either tell you they don't know, that's not my department, or I don't know what you're talking about.
We were specifically told... - re percentages
[ In Reply To ..]
that the "acceptable" percentage is indeed 75%; and if a dictator is lower than that, they put them back to B mode (straight typing) so the engine can do more training.

So even with that 75% threshold, we are still getting the numbers I mentioned above, after less than 2 weeks in edit mode.
This might be possible - but not probable
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been involved on both ends, the backend IT part the ASR engine, as well as on the MT side.

A percentage of 75% is only "acceptable" because it is your company that calls it "acceptable." But, this also means that only 75% of the record output is correct and the MT is editing up to 25% of it. In other words, the MT is editing 1 out of every four words in the document.

Very few MTs are able to get above 400-500 lph with the percentage set so low. Yes, there might be a few who will (and count your blessings if you are one of them), but the vast majority of MTs stay in the 200-300 lph range.

I've seen the actual numbers. If the "average" MT is editing 400-500 lph, then this is a company who has the percentage set higher, upwards of 90%.
thanks interesting, thanks for the info - coltsfan2
[ In Reply To ..]
xxx
My 2 cents regarding M-Modal - KLH
[ In Reply To ..]
We use M-Modal at the company I'm with. Every report that comes through has the percentage listed on that chart so I know going into it how much editing I'm going to have to do. I thought that was part of M-Modal and anyone who uses it would have the same thing. Is that not the case? My company's percentage is set at 80%. Sometimes I get a few that are 79% but that is rare. My LPH can run anywhere from 360 on a bad day to 420 on a good day. As stated, the more editing (crappy charts) you do, the lower your LPH. The better the chart, the faster you can move through it. I have to admit that I like editing a lot more than I thought I would, I just wish the money was there. I'm going to have to find a PT job to make up the difference in my pay since having to switch to VR.
I think the percentage the company has it set at is the key - VRMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a company using M-Modal and it is set at 75% (or so they tell us) and I'm lucky to get 350 lph or so with all the editing needing to be done in the reports. That extra 5% would probably boost our production quite a good bit, but alas, these companies just don't seem to care about us, only THEIR bottom line...

I actually just accepted a job straight transcribing - frustrated . . .

[ In Reply To ..]
I just went through 4 reports in an hour because the editing was ridiculous. It seems to have actually gotten worse if that is possible. I cannot afford this; my family is suffering financially. For right now, I need to go back to straight transcription; perhaps down the road I can try it again. Thank you all for all of your input I have learned a lot and I appreciate your help.

VR editing - sublimelytragic

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it depends on the platform I can make just as much editing VR on EditScript (Escription) as straight typing I average 300-500 lph depending on the type of report My account consists mostly of ERs though that is why my line count is probably higher than average When I edit specialty clinics it drops to 275-350 Alot of my docs have thick Southern accents but EditScript does a pretty good job of recognizing what they say and after I make the editing changes it seems like I only have to change it a couple of times for SR to "learn" the change. However I gave up on M Modal after only 3 weeks because I thought it was just too cumbersome It is not word based so none of my autocorrect shortcuts would transfer I would have to buy a whole new shortcut program and there was no way to have the cursor jump to the voice

Similar Messages:

Company Just Switched Over To VR. Sm
Apr 29, 2010

How long is reasonable to get yourself up to speed on a new VR platform before you throw in the towel?  I know it learns as it goes, but it doesn't seem to be learning very much, very fast, to me.  ...

Being Switched To Different Platform
Aug 19, 2011

I'm fairly new at the Q. Good line rate to start (10 cpl) on straight typing, but the account with all that straight typing has gone away and now I'm getting only VR editing (4 cpl) on a different account. I asked to be placed back on a straight typing account and they're switching me to a Spheris Legacy Platform next week. Can anybody give me a clue as to what the heck that might entail? I supposedly have to do some E-training first. Anyone familiar with this platform, please giv ...

For Those Who Have Switched Careers
Feb 15, 2012

I am considering going to school to get a certificate/AA type of training, possibly in MA, pharm tech, or massage therapy, that sort of thing.  If you have experience with this, did you run into the "newbie" catch-22 thing where you have to have experience to get a job or can you usually find something right out of school? ...

For Former MTs Who Switched To Coding:
Apr 10, 2015

Which do you prefer?  I actually like MT.  I find it interesting & satisfying to create a perfect report.  The pay going downhill is what I don't like...  I'm wondering if I would like coding & would love to hear from former MTs your thoughts on the similarities/differences and pros/cons. ...

Has Anyone Had An Account Switched To
Jun 03, 2015

I have to wonder if that's what is happening on Enterprise at the moment. Honestly, the OOW is shocking. You can't claim holiday slowdown when the holiday was almost 2 weeks ago, can you? I always remember 4th of July being slow, but really it's just the beginning of June, so what is this going to be, months of nothingness in the beautiful summer weather, sitting in front of your monitor 12 hours a day waiting for work all day and night? Sick to death of OOW, sick of flexing all ...

Help Please - I Switched To That New Google Browser
Oct 18, 2009

and now when I try to bring up statistics using F9 in Docuscribe, I get an error message.  I'm not too computer savvy, but I'm sure it must be the new browser.  Other weird things happened too, like I can't read the posts here (Luckily I didn't get rid of my old browser so I am using it now).  Other than that problem though, Google Chrome browser is better and faster than the old one I was using (Avant), but if it doesn't work well in DQS, I'll have t ...

Just Curious.. . . Since We Have Switched Over To The New Region .. . .
Feb 07, 2010

I have not been able to go back and pull reports from before the switchover?  Is there any way to access that, or do we have to call Support? ...

How Long Did It Take To Retrain Your Eye When You Switched To VR?
Jun 16, 2010

I started a VR job just over two weeks ago.  I actually really like it.  It's on the Dictaphone platform which is one of the better ones, the drafts for the most part are pretty good and I find the work interesting. My problem is switching my "eye" from typing and reading to editing.  Plus, my prior job, which is now a part time IC job wasn't as picky about the BOS.  This new one is all about the BOS.   The new job also wants all numbers written as n ...

Switched To New Med From Risperdal S/l Invasia
Aug 09, 2010

Child has been less aggressive, less impulsive, since switching to the *invasia* from Risperdal ...

Has Anyone Ever Requested To Be Switched To A Particular Hospital/CCM?-NM
Nov 30, 2011

I worked for over 10 years on the same hospitals and then last spring new hospitals were added to my work load.  These new hospitals were then moved to a new CCM.  Work was plentiful, at first straight typing.  All was good until it turned to ASR and now the work seems to have dried up (I think that Indian drought).  I'm tired of bouncing around and would like to be moved back to my old accounts and old CCM, no complaints with the new CCM, just want to work steady and I ...

Switched To New Computer And Normals Are Not There
Dec 05, 2011

Just switched to the new computer and all my saved reports and normals/templates are not there.  It keeps saying user profile failed to update.  Is that why and what can I do about getting all my saved normals back.  This is awful.  ...

Switched Over To Verizon Wireless.
Jul 12, 2012

I have had HughesNet satellite for the last 2 years.  This has been extremely slow and lots of down time with weather.  So I was told that Verizon would be much better.  Now that it is installed, I am disappointed to see how slow this is.  My download time is so bad, I doubt any company would hire me or maybe they would, but with all the waiting for downloading of files, I could never get a good line count.   Supposedly Verizon says they are putting up more po ...

Can Anyone Who Has Switched To E-BYTX Give
Feb 26, 2013

make the transition a little easier?  Is it important to be proficient in word or can you just know the basics?  I have been hearing that numbering is a real problem.  ...

OOW - Switched To Garden Sites
Feb 12, 2015

We ran out of TAT last week and I guess our supervisor missed out on some bonus because of it.  Tightening down on schedules/hours/procedures for not showing up for work or showing up late were reiterated to us. Guess some took it seriously cause now the work is slim. Had been getting stressed with having to flex or use up PTO, today I spent the last hour on gardening web sites and looking through seed catalogs.  Feel relaxed now and ready to prepare a little lunch and then check back ...

Been Switched To VR, Last 3 Years Making 20K Less A Year! Fed Up!
Jan 18, 2011

I need to vent about this and am wondering if I am the only one out there.  After my initial 2 years of in-house experience, I started working for a company and was there for over 7 years and made 33K a year.  The last 3-4 years since making the transition to VR, my pay has gone down to 13-14K a year.  That's a 20K loss per year!!!  I am not a happy camper.  I haven't been in this field for 13 years for my pay to go DOWN!  And what makes me the most angry ...

Switched To Word 2010 And Now I Need To Create Macro
Nov 30, 2011

I just switched to Word 2010 and now I need to create Macros.  I'm lost.  Is there anyone who can help?  So far all the instructions people have given are for Word 2007 and it's just gotten me more confused. ...

Client Just Switched To NextGen; Does This EHR Allow Remote Transcription?
May 27, 2014

I sure hope so. ...

Pt Relapsed And Was Switched To "pez Ol Pa Mib". (chemo)
Dec 15, 2010

? ...

Pt Switched From Estrogen Cream To "lipo Hydro Cream"
Jan 19, 2012

she was started on vaginal estrogen cream due to a diagnosis of vaginal eczema.  This was switched to "lipohydrocream" upon her diagnosis of breast cancer. ...