A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many lines do you edit per payperiod? - Just Nosey

Posted: May 08, 2011

I was reading somewhere on here where FastChart said one of their VR editors edited 53,000 in a payperiod!! 

My pay period's every 14 days, or 80 hours, - and my goal is about

[ In Reply To ..]
26-28K with fairly heavy editing on average. 53,000 seems credible for an 80-hour pay period on work that requires very little editing. Speed would be limited to ability to read as fast as a chipmunk can chatter. :)

edited lines - karl

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope they are still alive and not blind. I average 2700 lines a day x14 or some 37,800 lines and at 4.5 cpl you have to move for sure to make a living.

Every time I read one of these, it makes me want - to cry. I cannot do but

[ In Reply To ..]
about half of that amount because of poor ASR and tediousness of specialty. If I am having a decent day, then we run out of work and I get put on a helper pool and production screeches to a halt. At least I do make a little more than 4.5 cpl. I guess that is something.

I don't understand it either, unless... - starzzz

[ In Reply To ..]
they don't have 99% or higher quality checks (ver batim), which is time consuming. We have had VR for 5 years. I work for a hospital with 50+ transcriptionists and no one is making that kind of line count. The average is 8000 lines per 40-hour week (actually 37.5-hour week because of 0.5 hour per day allowed for breaks). We have a lot of docs who will never go on VR, however, because of their dictation habits (refuse to enunciate, heavy accents, etc.). I feel fortunate to have a management group who understands that not all dictation is created equal. Each report I type, I type with the knowledge that my supervisor could quality check it (that means if the doctor says "patient" and VR expands it as "the patient" it MUST BE corrected, or that is counted against our quality. We are not allowed to change grammar or anything else that does not affect the context (however, we are allowed to correct 'he' to 'she' etc). I hope I never have to go back to working for a service, where for the most part quantity trumps quality.
Starzzz, I'm sure your company has good reasons for - setting that type of standard, but my MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
wants finished SR to read pretty much as if we had transcribed from scratch, including articles, such as "the" and "a." Obviously, none of my accounts is verbatim, and our job is to improve on what SR can accomplish. I think you'll agree this is also a fairly high quality standard even if it is set by a service. Minimum QA is 98%, tho, not 99%.

We also have a lot of difficult dictators, so are paid a bit above average line rates to offset that a bit, and our minimum line requirement per 40-hour week is 1500 for whatever combo of TX and SR. Your post was an eye-opener for what verbatim can mean for production; I'd always assumed verbatim would mean faster, but apparently having to bounce around reports picking off stray articles takes at least as much of your time as adding them does of mine.

Forget the crying, honey, and get a little faster today instead. - Seriously, tedious is GOOD! That means

[ In Reply To ..]
repetition, including the same errors repeated all day long. Automate those corrections with your expander and give them 2 to 3-character abbreviations at most.

Poor SR: When SR messes up most of a dictator's standard blurb/sentence/paragraph/PE/? every time, treat it as one correction by deleting the whole thing and replacing with the standard version in your expander or template storage. Put markers in it where the dictation tends to vary so you can jump in and customize quickly. I have expander entries that delete AND insert the correct versions with just a couple of keystrokes. Your company may not want you doing that? Do it anyway and wait to see if anybody ever mentions it. Really. I did it for years BEFORE my current company actually broke down and okayed it officially because SR just wasn't improving.

Just moving from correction to correction is a major time-sucker. If a line has 3 (2?) or more, delete the entire line or sentence with your 1-character entry for that and replace it using stock phrases in storage ("the patient reports that" "for the past 2 days" "the pain has been"). Much faster than bunny-hop-hop-hop, delete, type, bunny-hop-hop-hop-hop-hop, etc.

Make short forms for your navigation keystrokes too. For instance, 1 keystroke+space bar at most to jump to the next marker, jump to the end of a sentence, attach the cursor to the voice, etc.

BTW, your "more than 4.5" no doubt reflects the above-average difficulty of your work but very possibly does not make up for it. Underpay for SR is endemic these days. I believe rates will have to improve eventually, but right now most of us are bailing away just to keep the boat afloat.

Rates - No way!

[ In Reply To ..]
No way in heck I would edit for less than 5 cents.. I see ads for 3 cents.. really? Are you kidding me? Even being able to do 500+ editing lines an hour at 3 cents, I'd go work at McDonalds. That's nuts. There are companies that pay 5, 5.5 and 6 cents a line for editing. They don't have to advertise because they have us and we aren't leaving.

I'm at 4 cents and it's killing me - LTDN

[ In Reply To ..]
:>(

That's still lower than what my regular pay for typing would be "37,800". I type arou - 23,000-25,000 x10 to 12 days not x14

[ In Reply To ..]
so that would still be a cut in pay for me, depending on what the rate of pay is. The last job I worked at VR paid 5 cents a line, I would have to VR 4600 lines to 5000 lines a day x10 to 12 days to make my normal pay. That ain't gonna happen and who wants to work 14 days a pay period. When do you take a day off????? Heck, on a good day, I can type 2700 to 3000 lines depending on the physicians that I get.

Similar Messages:

Question About Lines Per Shift And Per Payperiod
Oct 27, 2012

I'm just starting a new job and I'm not sure but I think they said 562.5 lines per shift and I'll only be working 3-hour shift. Again I'm not sure but think she said 5625 lines per payperiod. I know I should've paid closer attention when we were talking but I was trying to write down everything she said and I know I missed some and these line counts was one of them. After the weekend is over, I'll call and double check on things. I just didn't want to wait ...

HOW MANY ASR LINES CAN YOU EDIT PER HOUR?
Jan 28, 2012

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but how many lines on average would you say you can edit with ASR per hour?  I think the most I have ever been able to do was around 250 myself.  I just wondered how I measured up with other MTs with the ASR jobs.  I remember a couple of years ago not long after MQ started up with ASR getting a company email describing an MT (no name was given) who could edit over 600 lines per hour and over 400 with straight transcription.   ...

How Many VR/SR Lines Do You Edit/type In A Day?
Jun 02, 2012

I think the platform is great. I use most of the important hot keys to increase speed, do not use the mouse much, and rely on the keyboard. The dictators are crystal clear. The editing is minimal; it's the cleanest I have seen in my experience. My internet connection is fast. I am not having any technical problems. The account specs are simple and clear. To make the same in VR as I was with traditional transcription, I would need to do 300 VR lines per hour, and I just can& ...

Powerscribe - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Edit On Average?
Jun 01, 2010

I was wondering if anybody out there was paid per line for Powerscribe and how many lines per hour do you edit on average?  I have always been paid a report rate for Powerscribe Radiology.  Also, which version do you use?  Thanks!! ...

When Does The Payperiod Begins And End At MQ. I Am
Nov 24, 2009

TIA. ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Cannot Edit Cc's
Feb 26, 2014

What in the world did they do to the cc list?  I can no longer edit anything.  Grrrr. ...

Don't Over Edit. Don't Over Edit. Sm
Oct 31, 2014

We've all heard that, right?  Someone should inform QA to not over QA then because adding in "a" or "the" or "an" is overediting!  Plus, we get dinged for it.  I'm so over this BS.  I am literally so nervous now when I sit down to work.  Yesterday, I slowed playback down to the point that I did 700 lines LESS than I had been doing just to see if this made any difference.  Nope.  Still got hit with a, an, the crap from QA.  If tomorrow's big ...

How Do I Edit My Expansions
Feb 25, 2011

How do I edit/work on adding expansions when I get NJA  and can't get in to type? ...

Can Doctors Edit?-sm
Dec 20, 2013

Just wondering...when the documents are imported into the client's system, can their doctors edit them if they find an error before they sign off on them?  When I worked in-house, the doctors could either edit the report or re-dictate whatever we had blanked.  I'm just guessing that the reports go to a queue for the doctors to "read" and then sign since, legally, they are ultimately responsible for what they dictate.  Just wondering if anyone knew.  TIA.    ...

Anyone Know Of VR Edit Positions Pay 4 Cpl?
Jun 10, 2014

Does anyone know of any companies out there that pay 4 cpl or above as an IC VR editor? Looking for work and all of them pay horrible.     Thanks  ...

How Do I Get From The Job Edit Page
May 27, 2015

For job edit, I hit ALT E and do what I need to do on the edit page.  To escape and return to the document, I hit ALT 3, tab, tab, tab, enter to return to the document. There has got to be an easier (less keystrokes) way to return to where I was without using the mouse. Please help me! ...

Instructions For Edit Script
Jan 30, 2010

I would like to get an early jump on learning this program. Is there a list of instructions or manual somewhere that I can download? ...

Wondering About Average Edit LPH
Mar 10, 2012

Just wondering what peoples' average edit lph is?  I realize the type of platform, account, dictators, etc. come into play, but is 500 lph a dream, particularly with escription?  TIA ...

Edit Script Glitches
Jul 05, 2012

Am I the only one who is constantly dealing with these issues? 1.  Lines of text overlapping eachother into a confused jumble.  If you highlight the document, some of of this will resolve and go away, but not all of it. 2. When leaving a pending note, the text I took 2 minues to thoughtfully word out just dissappears completely, and I have to type the whole thing all over again. 3.  When leaving a pending reason, the drop-down menu will randomly pick a reason for me, and I have ...

Edit Script Vs Escription
Dec 07, 2012

What is the difference between edit script and escription? I am considering platforms at various transcription companies and the transcription platform makes all the difference.  Thank you to all who offer help. ...

Need Tips On How To Edit VR More Quickly - SM
Oct 07, 2014

Hello.  I have just edited my first 5 VR reports ever.  It seems like ther must be a more efficient way to do it than what I was doing.  Every time I needed to make a change, I had to stop the recording and manually move my cursor to the right place.  I wish the Word cursor moved along with the dictation.  I'm sure this must be a learning curve thing.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks! ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

Escription/Edit Script Question
Sep 26, 2010

Can anyone who uses ES think of a reason why the AutoCorrect feature stops working? I know that the "replace as typed" box is checked before I start the program. Also, sometimes the ES toolbar doesn't respond. I can click on it over and over again and no response. Any ideas and/or suggestions to resolve this problem would be appreciated. ...

How Many Radiology Reports Can You Edit Per Hour
Oct 05, 2010

Just trying to figure a few things out before accepting a position for radiology editor.  Thanks in advance ...

Why Did This Give Me The Option To Edit Or Delete
Jan 27, 2011

not delete it?  am I blind is there a delete button somewhere? ...

Edit Script V10 @ General Questions
Jun 12, 2012

Does anyone here use EditScript v10?  I am in a perpetual state of confusion regarding how things are calculated at Nuance. In v10 there is an RDR mode, in which we review our reports that have been corrected and get our accuracy percentage. But, there is also FIESA, which for me has a different percentage (sadly, much lower).  I've noticed that FIESA generally only generates about 1 report per day for me, which doesn't seem very accurate. My percentage with RDR is 99%, an ...

Getting Paid 10 Cpl To Edit. Is This A Good Rate?
Jul 01, 2013

I'm getting paid 10cpl to edit. Is this a good rate? Spaces are not included. Thanks! ...

Nuclear Medicine Preferred Way To Edit
Apr 24, 2014

Not sure what type of report, the provider "stated nuclear medicine study T one-halves" Various research come up with too many variables of editing T one-half written out T one-half T-1/2 t1/2 What is the preferred version?   Thank you ...