A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

reference software on TransTech computer - movinon

Posted: Oct 22, 2010

I am starting soon with TransTech.

If any of you current TransTech MTs use TransTech's computer, can you tell me please if you have had any problems with loading your own Stedman's, Quick Look, etc., software into their computer? I was thinking of going ahead and ordering the software I will need since it does not come loaded on their computer.

Second question: Do you like the eScription text expander or do you use your own?

TT Computer - TTer

[ In Reply To ..]
I use their computer and, while I can SEE that Stedmans and Quick Look are in my directory, I'm unable to open either of them or activate them. During an installation of another program on the computer, I asked the remote tech person if he could figure out how to install them. I watched while he located them and tried to do something, but it didn't work. He suggested another tech person (I can't remember who) might be able to spend more time trying to figure out the problem and reinstall them, but I've never followed through on it since it sounded like it could tie up my computer for quite awhile.

I use the eScription expander and have no problems with it, but then I've never used any of the other expanders to make a comparison.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful about the Stedmans or Quick Look. If you find out how to solve the problem, please post it so I can try to fix mine, too, LOL!

MT references - movinon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the reply!

I am used to using electronic Stedman's and Quick Look and feel like I would be lost without them....

Do you use books? Internet dictionary/drug sites?

What works well for you?

My last TT computer did not have a CD-ROM drive. sm - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
When I mentioned this to support, I was told everything I needed to do the job was loaded on the computer (I was thinking, too, about what to do with my Quick Look, etc.).

I would ask specifically if you will have a computer with a CD-ROM drive or specifically purchase references that you can download from the internet and maybe back up to a flash drive.

no CD drive? - movinon

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, that must have been one old computer! Glad you warned me so I don't jump the gun and order something I can't use. Think I will try to be smart and control myself and wait til I get their computer.

What form of references have you found to be most helpful? Books? Internet sites? Downloaded software?

I am so spoiled with reference materials in my computer.... I sort of feel panicked at not having them! lol

No CD drive - answer - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I briefly worked for Precyse and when they sent me a computer, it was a "netbook" (one that you could almost fit in a large purse). A netbook does not come with a CD rom drive, so yes, you are kind of at their mercy in that regard. What I did with a lot of my stuff, word expander, etc was mail it to myself and then opened it up on the netbook and installed it that way.

Loading software - TT MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi there:) I have one of their computers, and from what they told me they don't want the MTs loading anything onto the computers because their software takes up a lot of space and they don't have enough memory to support the addition of anything else. Just check with them first, and that way you won't be out any money if you can't load it onto their computer.

sounds like the best idea.... - movinon

[ In Reply To ..]
... is to get myself a new computer. I'll wait and get theirs to decide. Thanks for the advice!

Similar Messages:

New Computer Software
Jun 24, 2014

I am an experienced transcriptionist (15+years) but I am venturing out on my own for the first time. What software do you guys like? Expanding software?  Any suggestions would be helpful! ...

Escription Software, Need New Computer.
Feb 15, 2010

I need to buy a new laptop and need to be able to put my escription software on there.  I know that it is required to be 32-bit but do not know if the new Windows 7 32-bit would be okay or not?  Does anybody know this before I go out looking?  It is getting really hard to find a 32 bit computer out there.  ...

Has Anyone Bought Software Or Computer Supplies On EBay?
Apr 02, 2012

I just recently bought Microsoft Word 2007 program on EBay and was told by seller that I would receive this in 3 to 4 days.  HA,  what a big joke that was.  It has been 9 days now since purchase on March 24.  Also I thought that UPS was delivering it which would be much better.   No, wrong again.  They are giving free delivery by USPS with high priority.  Oh Wonderful -- so happy that it gets high priority.  In that case, I might just get this before ...

Clearing Past Employers' Software Off My Computer
Nov 16, 2012

Unfortunately, I have failed to contact the IT Departments of companies on-line I have worked for transcribing medical dictation after I have left their organizations and asked them how to remove their software.  How do I identify and remove any old software from these companies?  They don't seem to mind their software is on my computer, but I think it is probably time to delete it.  I am having trouble reaching these people as some of the companies are no longer in business ...

Does Transtech Provide Computer/equip? Nm
May 14, 2012

nm ...

Nuance Takes "ownership" Of Computer After Software Install
Aug 23, 2014

How is this legal? They don't own the computer. they don't provide equipment. What right do they have to screw up the computer so you can't print or do stuff of your machine that you own? ...

Re: TransTech ApplicationOn My TransTech Application Should I Fill In Favorite Work Types & Fav
Jan 11, 2011

On my Trans Tech application should I fill in favorite work types and favorite specialities or leave blank or put any? ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Reference Books
Nov 20, 2009

Question regarding use of reference books....I've been working for the same transcription company for 10 years and have kept very busy in that time, but as of the last six months, they have lost accounts and work has dropped off significantly.    I applied for a job last week that asked me which reference books I currently use.  To be honest, I haven't renewed any of my reference books in about 8 years, as I found it to be much, much quicker to locate terms via the Internet if you ...

Liver Reference
Feb 09, 2010

"Pychmial" widening of the sinusoids in the central zones. ...

Prescription Reference
Apr 24, 2010

Is there a reference source where I can search a prescription even though I do not know the first letter of the prescription.  For example:  %cilozine.  ...

Best Radiology Reference
Sep 08, 2010

Hi, Can anyone recommend the best radiology reference? I'd like terms, phrases, and abbreviations combined. I'd like to have one reference at-hand. First, assignment/dictator could barely understand. How long before you felt more comfortable with various reports? ...

Reference Problems
Jun 20, 2011

Does anyone else have problems supplying work references?  It seems the jobs I'm interested in all very emphatically ask for work references that can be verified and I've worked at home for just two companies in the past 10 years and had no contact with any other employees besides my supervisors.  I definitely don't want to give the current employer as a reference so that leaves me one that I worked for six years ago.  Not sure what to do in this case. ...

Reference Preference
Dec 02, 2010

I am new to MTStars and am currently enrolled as a MT student working toward completing an AAS degree. I am in my 6th quarter and starting to transcribe documents and reports in all the different fields. This week our transcription class discussion was centered around different reference resources and guides and I was wondering what are some of the favorites that are actually used by experienced MTs. I have never worked in a medical profession and making a huge transition after becoming una ...

What Is The Best Reference Site For... Sm
Jan 09, 2012

Brand and generic names for medications.  I've been using drugs.com and rxlist.com, but some of the meds are coming back from QA as being capitalized/lower cased incorrectly. ...

Reference Reports
Mar 13, 2012

Been trying to work on these mumbling dictators and the reference reports that used to be in the system are no longer there.  Guess it's just another way to screw us on our pay by having to use markers.  Wonder why they took them out....MMMMMM. ...

Reference Material Help
May 29, 2012

So I'm wondering what the difference between the Nurse's Pocket Drug Guide and The Pill Book is. I am trying to gather some reference material to be better stocked for my first transcription job and I'm not sure what to actually get. I'm on a tight budget but know that I need decent material. Throughout school I mostly used my textbooks and online reference material and it worked great but I'm not sure if companies are open to that type of work/referencing. Any help or a ...

This Is In Reference To The Post Right Below Me Sm
Aug 15, 2012

Sorry not sure what people have said and not sure where this would be posted but.........all those things you list, we have had but the Q took them all away!    Everything you say is correct but the suits want the money and throughout corporate America no company wants to pay the people who do the work.  They just want the money in their pockets.  Until the Q loses accounts because the work is so bad will they think about paying the MTs what we are worth.  Don't ...

Need Reference Suggestions...
Feb 26, 2013

I've just been hired to transcribe for a new transplant clinic.  I'm not really familar with the terminology and medications that might accompany this field.  Are there any good reference word books (such as Stedman's) that you'd suggest me getting? Thanks in advance for the help!  ...

Reference Book
May 25, 2013

Does anyone know of a "be-all/end-all" reference book for all the stages and grades across all disciplines (specialties) and whether they are expressed in roman or arabic numerals.  If there is, it would be worth it's weight in gold to me (almost).  Thanks! - B ...

Reference Books?
Jul 07, 2013

Does anyone use actual reference books any longer?  I paid so much for Stedman's books and now I never use them.  I am a big Google fan.  ...

Surgical Reference
Apr 21, 2015

I'm a seasoned transcriptionist, mostly doing acute care.  Struggling with op reports.  Does anyone know of a good reference book listing surgical instruments and supplies that I can use for a reference? ...

Reference Problem
May 06, 2015

I'm in the process of applying for a new medical transcription job. However, when listing my history, I've found that some of the companies I've worked for have been acquired by another company (and now have new names). It's also been difficult contacting my old supervisors. I'm currently going through LinkedIn but don't know if I'll get a reply. Can someone suggest a way that I can list these types of references? Thanks. ...

2 Numbers In A Row...seeking BOS Reference
Oct 27, 2009

Theo-24 200 mg is dictated.  As you can see, this puts 2 numbers side by side.  In this instance, is it okay to type this way or do I type differently.  What page in the BOS 2 is this type of issue referenced?   Thanks ...

REFERENCE BOOKS - HELP WANTED!
Dec 16, 2009

I just started this new job 2 weeks ago working for a plastic surgeon.  Now trying to build my reference book library.  What books would you recommend?  I know I need a PDR...I'm having trouble deciding which one would be best.  I also am needing a good Plastic/Cosmetic surgery reference book.....any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Does Anyone Have A Good FL Doctors Reference
Jan 05, 2010

My Florida Department of Health website is messed up.  Does anyone have a good FL doctor reference website they can post?? ...

Order Of Reference Materials
May 07, 2010

I know I have come across the answer to this question in the past, but can't seem to put my fingers on it now......  1.  CP   2/3.  BOS then Standards OR Standards then BOS?  In reference to the q.h.s. question...  since all 3 references usually appear somewhere on each CP, would not q.h.s.  vs nightly depend on the order of reference materials used?  The vast majority of my CPs have "BOS and Standards" at top and JCAHO at the bottom. ...