A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Reference Book - Barb

Posted: May 25, 2013

Does anyone know of a "be-all/end-all" reference book for all the stages and grades across all disciplines (specialties) and whether they are expressed in roman or arabic numerals.  If there is, it would be worth it's weight in gold to me (almost).  Thanks! - B

AAMT BOS is your best bet. sm - Old Woman

[ In Reply To ..]
Most companies use that as the standard for everything from A to Z, unless their account instructions vary from it.

No, I've had to create my own list. (sm) - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
The BOS is such a waste of time to have to search through as there is no index and you never know what section they will put it under. It is a good reference to go through in your spare time if you want to put together your own list.

Fastest resource if Google - just make sure you have a dependable reference as that is also loaded with errors. In other words if it comes from Mayo Clinic - you can depend on it, but not if it just comes from a blog.

Stages and Grades - Barb

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks guys...I was afraid you were gonna say that. Agreed on the BOS...lots of good info, but index sucks (1st Ed. was much better in terms of the way it was put together).

Similar Messages:

Maybe The Name Of A Drug Reference Book?
Jul 19, 2010

Looking for possibly the name of a book (s/l Apocerteries).  Doc states they looked up potential drug interaction and according to "Apocerties" there is none.  Can't find anything close to even get a hit. ...

Good Drug Reference Book?
Feb 23, 2011

I am a newly hired MT and do not have a drug reference book yet.  I am looking for suggestions for a good drug reference book.  Also, looking for any other suggestions that may help me improve my knowledge and speed.  Thanks! ...

Can Anyone Recall The Name Of This Drug Reference Book?
Aug 12, 2012

I'm trying to locate/remember the name of a drug reference book I used to have. It was ring-bound (plastic), had a white cover, and was slim and lightweight. It just had the meds in alphabetical order. I would like to get another and can't seem to recall any info about it, and therefore can't locate one to purchase! ...

Most CPs Make Reference To The Book Of Stye 2.
Oct 24, 2014

Has anyone actually read all 500+ pages? Our group was told we were doing headings the wrong way for an account which is new to our group, but that was not listed in the CP. When questioned, we were directed to the BOS2. Fortunately, we were given the path to find that section. Although some of what was demanded was in the BOS2, other demands were not. Very frustrating. I have found the BOS to be so unwieldy to use, that I normally do not bother. Of course, this put my panties in a bun ...

Best Word Book Reference For Acute Care
Jan 23, 2012

Am transitioning from Rad to Acute care to "broaden" my hiring potential.  Have 2-3 years experience with Acute care but it has been a few years.  Would appreciate any input on the best reference book.  Anybody have a favorite they find invaluable?    ...

How To Type Book Reference In Letter Form?
Mar 06, 2012

Letter to insurance saying why procedure is needed. In body, he references this book.  How to type? Perez and Brady's Principle and Practice of Radiation Oncology, fifth edition, radiation oncology textbook, page 1622, also states ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Reference Books
Nov 20, 2009

Question regarding use of reference books....I've been working for the same transcription company for 10 years and have kept very busy in that time, but as of the last six months, they have lost accounts and work has dropped off significantly.    I applied for a job last week that asked me which reference books I currently use.  To be honest, I haven't renewed any of my reference books in about 8 years, as I found it to be much, much quicker to locate terms via the Internet if you ...

Liver Reference
Feb 09, 2010

"Pychmial" widening of the sinusoids in the central zones. ...

Prescription Reference
Apr 24, 2010

Is there a reference source where I can search a prescription even though I do not know the first letter of the prescription.  For example:  %cilozine.  ...

Best Radiology Reference
Sep 08, 2010

Hi, Can anyone recommend the best radiology reference? I'd like terms, phrases, and abbreviations combined. I'd like to have one reference at-hand. First, assignment/dictator could barely understand. How long before you felt more comfortable with various reports? ...

Reference Problems
Jun 20, 2011

Does anyone else have problems supplying work references?  It seems the jobs I'm interested in all very emphatically ask for work references that can be verified and I've worked at home for just two companies in the past 10 years and had no contact with any other employees besides my supervisors.  I definitely don't want to give the current employer as a reference so that leaves me one that I worked for six years ago.  Not sure what to do in this case. ...

Reference Preference
Dec 02, 2010

I am new to MTStars and am currently enrolled as a MT student working toward completing an AAS degree. I am in my 6th quarter and starting to transcribe documents and reports in all the different fields. This week our transcription class discussion was centered around different reference resources and guides and I was wondering what are some of the favorites that are actually used by experienced MTs. I have never worked in a medical profession and making a huge transition after becoming una ...

What Is The Best Reference Site For... Sm
Jan 09, 2012

Brand and generic names for medications.  I've been using drugs.com and rxlist.com, but some of the meds are coming back from QA as being capitalized/lower cased incorrectly. ...

Reference Reports
Mar 13, 2012

Been trying to work on these mumbling dictators and the reference reports that used to be in the system are no longer there.  Guess it's just another way to screw us on our pay by having to use markers.  Wonder why they took them out....MMMMMM. ...

Reference Material Help
May 29, 2012

So I'm wondering what the difference between the Nurse's Pocket Drug Guide and The Pill Book is. I am trying to gather some reference material to be better stocked for my first transcription job and I'm not sure what to actually get. I'm on a tight budget but know that I need decent material. Throughout school I mostly used my textbooks and online reference material and it worked great but I'm not sure if companies are open to that type of work/referencing. Any help or a ...

This Is In Reference To The Post Right Below Me Sm
Aug 15, 2012

Sorry not sure what people have said and not sure where this would be posted but.........all those things you list, we have had but the Q took them all away!    Everything you say is correct but the suits want the money and throughout corporate America no company wants to pay the people who do the work.  They just want the money in their pockets.  Until the Q loses accounts because the work is so bad will they think about paying the MTs what we are worth.  Don't ...

Need Reference Suggestions...
Feb 26, 2013

I've just been hired to transcribe for a new transplant clinic.  I'm not really familar with the terminology and medications that might accompany this field.  Are there any good reference word books (such as Stedman's) that you'd suggest me getting? Thanks in advance for the help!  ...

Reference Books?
Jul 07, 2013

Does anyone use actual reference books any longer?  I paid so much for Stedman's books and now I never use them.  I am a big Google fan.  ...

Surgical Reference
Apr 21, 2015

I'm a seasoned transcriptionist, mostly doing acute care.  Struggling with op reports.  Does anyone know of a good reference book listing surgical instruments and supplies that I can use for a reference? ...

Reference Problem
May 06, 2015

I'm in the process of applying for a new medical transcription job. However, when listing my history, I've found that some of the companies I've worked for have been acquired by another company (and now have new names). It's also been difficult contacting my old supervisors. I'm currently going through LinkedIn but don't know if I'll get a reply. Can someone suggest a way that I can list these types of references? Thanks. ...

2 Numbers In A Row...seeking BOS Reference
Oct 27, 2009

Theo-24 200 mg is dictated.  As you can see, this puts 2 numbers side by side.  In this instance, is it okay to type this way or do I type differently.  What page in the BOS 2 is this type of issue referenced?   Thanks ...

REFERENCE BOOKS - HELP WANTED!
Dec 16, 2009

I just started this new job 2 weeks ago working for a plastic surgeon.  Now trying to build my reference book library.  What books would you recommend?  I know I need a PDR...I'm having trouble deciding which one would be best.  I also am needing a good Plastic/Cosmetic surgery reference book.....any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Does Anyone Have A Good FL Doctors Reference
Jan 05, 2010

My Florida Department of Health website is messed up.  Does anyone have a good FL doctor reference website they can post?? ...

Order Of Reference Materials
May 07, 2010

I know I have come across the answer to this question in the past, but can't seem to put my fingers on it now......  1.  CP   2/3.  BOS then Standards OR Standards then BOS?  In reference to the q.h.s. question...  since all 3 references usually appear somewhere on each CP, would not q.h.s.  vs nightly depend on the order of reference materials used?  The vast majority of my CPs have "BOS and Standards" at top and JCAHO at the bottom. ...

ENT And Dentistry Reference Websites
Jun 13, 2010

Does anyone have any really good ENT and dentistry websites to share. I need some good reference websites. Does anyone know of any websites that have word lists that might be a little helpful to a newbie? I plan on getting some specialty word books, but I can not afford them at the present time. Thanks in advance! ...

Vitamin/supplement Reference
Oct 05, 2010

Does anyone know of a good online reference for vitamin and supplement names, preferably something that allows for a "sounds like"?  I am struggling with this one - it sounds like "ketcava" and I'm thinking it might be something used for insomnia since it's listed in between 2 other supplements used for insomnia.  If anyone knows the name of this one or can point me in the direction of where to find it, I would greatly appreciate it!  Thanks in advance! ...

Reference Books - Out Of Curiosity
Jul 19, 2011

Hello, MTs! I am back for another question! I do have a list of books I'm interested in purchasing from either Dorland's or Stedman's medical dictionary to Merck Manual's of Patient Symptoms (the list goes on, but I'm just naming a couple). Google is so wonderful when it comes to researching when you don't have anything, but I feel it's not completely reliable as having hardcopy materials. Out of curiosity, what book(s) can you not live without or work without ...

Discrepancies Within Reference Materials
Dec 03, 2011

A question about how to type something came up between coworkers, and in order to resolve it I did some online searching.  I was stunned to learn that there were just as many "expert/authoritative" sites saying that their way was "the right way" to do it as the other way.  (None indicated that it was optional or that either way was fine.) It is striking how many differences there are amongst reference materials; I even found "tendinitis" misspelled (as "tendonitis") in one o ...

Interesting Reference On Cpl Rate For VR
Dec 03, 2011

Read this link to learn what the people at M-Modal think about compensation for VR editing!  It is worth reading and may surprise you! http://mmodal2.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/mt-compensation/ ...