A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Nuance takes "ownership" of computer after software install - What the heck?

Posted: Aug 23, 2014

How is this legal? They don't own the computer. they don't provide equipment. What right do they have to screw up the computer so you can't print or do stuff of your machine that you own?

Where is this from? s/m - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
They do not and will never own my computer unless they want to send me a check for
$598.00 for the computer I just bought.

Oh no - not here

[ In Reply To ..]
That's why I watch them like a hawk. If they aren't supplying a computer, they don't own the computer. I do make a profile to keep work separate from the rest of my activities on my computer, but they most definitely will not take over the property I purchased.

nuance takes ownership - catherine

[ In Reply To ..]
soft script is worse. Read the employee handbook. They have the "right" to scan and record everything on your computer. That's YOUR computer...not theirs...everything meaning not THEIR work...EVERYTHING. if they find anything offensive (no pictures, no language, no sites) that they do not approve of...they will fire you. it is in the employee handbook. So...who knew that softscript was Mormon or Puritan or Quaker or Amish or whatever the heck that they are. They dictate what YOU can do or have on YOUR computer. They think it is THEIR RIGHT to do so. right. They say if you only use your computer for work, there is no issue. If YOU only use YOUR computer for THEIR work there is no issue. I see an issue! Does anyone else? Oh...and you can't work for any other transcription service. Right. Because they never run out of work, and they always pay on time. Right. I think there must be psychotropic drugs in the water in California.

Not exactly true - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
SoftScript will monitor communications, email and message system (if used) which is done through their email server, which is any employer's right. This type of monitoring is done to protect the company and prevent the release of improper information, harassment, etc. As far as pictures, if the computer is being used for screen share for business purposes, then the company also has a right to ensure that what the employee displays during business hours is also not offensive in any way. Other than that, they are not digging through your personal computer.

Frankly, I was glad to give them back - their stupid computer

[ In Reply To ..]
Aside from the fact I am compelled to use IE8, which is garbage, I am much happier using my own computer.

Why, when I used their computer this very site was blocked, which, even if they are trying to spitefully not allow you to post or read bad things about Nuance, if you ever do Google searches re terminology, many discussions are on here in the word board, so I could not access those pages from the Google search, which used to infuriate me. Nasty Nuance, biting off their nose to spite their face.

I also had a tech person actually delete Firefox because supposedly it was very bad. For some reason. They actually physically deleted it just because I guess they felt like it when they were doing something else on my computer. I downloaded it again, but it was freaking annoying. My TSM had recommended using Firefox for the Nuance email because you don't have to enter the ridiculously long user name and password every time with Firefox, and IE8 is too dumb to allow this facility, but tech people do not seem too concerned with making ANYTHING easier for us.

Since I have changed to my own computer, I have not had half the problems. Still crappy platform, crappy software, crappy IE8, but at least they have butted OUT of my working day, as far as I can tell, and thank goodness for that.

Similar Messages:

Do I Have To Install Benchmark On My Computer?
Mar 28, 2010

I know we have to install and whatever, and there are all of these steps, and I really do not want anything else on this old MQ computer to slow it down more.  I am pretty content with the sites I go to and really don't want to learn another program.  Besides, I do think that they will start charging us after January and I certainly am not paying for something when I can get answers free.  This is just one more thing to do and we probably won't even make it through the y ...

Can Someone Tell Me How Long It Takes For Them To Send A Box To Return This Computer?
Aug 22, 2013

I just want it out of here...I'm gonna put it in the garage if they don't send that box soon. Do we have to take it to the post office once we get the box or will UPS pick it up or ? TIA ...

Doctor Going From Tapes To Wave Files--what Software Is Easy To Install, Easy To Use And Inexpensive
Apr 29, 2010

Do I have to buy the dictation equipment or the doctor?  Can I use the software with moer than one client?  We are moving and this is key to keeping my job.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks so much in advance for all help! ...

New Computer Software
Jun 24, 2014

I am an experienced transcriptionist (15+years) but I am venturing out on my own for the first time. What software do you guys like? Expanding software?  Any suggestions would be helpful! ...

Does Anyone Know If Nuance Takes Back
Jun 23, 2013

former employees?  I had some serious personal issues going on and had to leave, but things are finally settled down and want to come back. ...

Escription Software, Need New Computer.
Feb 15, 2010

I need to buy a new laptop and need to be able to put my escription software on there.  I know that it is required to be 32-bit but do not know if the new Windows 7 32-bit would be okay or not?  Does anybody know this before I go out looking?  It is getting really hard to find a 32 bit computer out there.  ...

Anybody Know If Nuance Takes Forever To Respond To
Mar 21, 2014

an application?  I submitted one at least 2 weeks ago... and it was no easy process as I couldn't log into the system, yada, yada.  So, that makes me even wonder if they got my app and resume.  But is it normal that they take forever to respond?  Or is it normal if they don't want you, that they just ignore you?  I just would prefer closure.  I know Nuance well, as far as I know its not the dream job, to say the least.  Just wondering what's up w ...

Reference Software On TransTech Computer
Oct 22, 2010

I am starting soon with TransTech. If any of you current TransTech MTs use TransTech's computer, can you tell me please if you have had any problems with loading your own Stedman's, Quick Look, etc., software into their computer? I was thinking of going ahead and ordering the software I will need since it does not come loaded on their computer. Second question: Do you like the eScription text expander or do you use your own? ...

Has Anyone Bought Software Or Computer Supplies On EBay?
Apr 02, 2012

I just recently bought Microsoft Word 2007 program on EBay and was told by seller that I would receive this in 3 to 4 days.  HA,  what a big joke that was.  It has been 9 days now since purchase on March 24.  Also I thought that UPS was delivering it which would be much better.   No, wrong again.  They are giving free delivery by USPS with high priority.  Oh Wonderful -- so happy that it gets high priority.  In that case, I might just get this before ...

Clearing Past Employers' Software Off My Computer
Nov 16, 2012

Unfortunately, I have failed to contact the IT Departments of companies on-line I have worked for transcribing medical dictation after I have left their organizations and asked them how to remove their software.  How do I identify and remove any old software from these companies?  They don't seem to mind their software is on my computer, but I think it is probably time to delete it.  I am having trouble reaching these people as some of the companies are no longer in business ...

Q&A Session Before Nuance Takes Over Our Hospital Dictation - Need Advice
Jun 25, 2013

I had posted a while back about Nuance taking over our hospital dictation. We are scheduled to meet with our department heads, HR, and Nuance in July sometime to go over the details of onboarding. Since we are being fed all of the wonderful benefits of being able to just on-board with Nuance and how nice it was of our hospital to think of us by providing us with this opportunity, I would like to ask some very pointed questions to the account executive that will be at this meeting in order to s ...

New Ownership
Jul 17, 2014

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what new ownership means.  Does this mean a whole new name/transcription company?  or does this mean the financial institution who we are borrowing money from?  I'm not very smart when it comes to legal jargon.   Thanks! ...

MT Stars Ownership
Jun 24, 2014

http://www.mtexchange.com/medical-transcription-exchange/who-owns-mtstars-com/ ...

How Can I Open An .esp File Without Using Nuance Software?
Jul 01, 2013

Has anyone ever tried (successfully) to open an .esp file with any other software? If so, I'd love to know how to open one. I need to be sure I am able to utilize it when I leave!  Oh, and I do know that I can print it out, but geeeez, after 6+ years, think of the paper and the re-creation of all of it that would be required!  At this point, my little 'ole lovely .esp file is the only thing between me and the exit sign!  Thanks in advance. ...

If We Have A Nuance Computer...
Jan 17, 2014

...are we allowed to use it for another job? ...

Nuance Computer Requirements
Jan 30, 2013

I have just received the computer specifications to begin working for Nuance.  I need to purchase a new computer.  My husband would like to buy a MAC.  Is a MAC compatible with Nuance's specifications.  Does anyone have any experience using a MAC who works for Nuance?  I have never used a MAC for transcription, only art programs at college, so I don't know much about it.  Thank you! ...

Nuance Computer Loan Program
Jan 04, 2013

Did we all see that we are available for a $300 interest-free computer loan, for new computer, peripherals, software, etc.     Did you also notice they want the RECEIPT FIRST?  Now, why in God's name, once you have paid for a computer or whatever you would want a loan for them after the fact?   Am I the only one confused by this? ...

Will Nuance Send A Computer To New Hire?
Jan 17, 2014

I just got a job with Nuance. My computer runs Windows 8 and I haven't heard back from them yet so I'm wondering is they send new hires a computer to borrow or do I need to go find one that will run their programs? TYIA ...

Leaving Nuance, Have Computer Question...
Dec 01, 2014

I hope I have posted this on the correct board. As I do not have a good feeling whatsoever about this new pay plan at Nuance, I am preparing to leave this nasty company after the first of the year​ and am trying to get everything in order. The first order of business is to buy a new computer. I believe new computers come with Windows 8. Does anyone know if that is compatible with most transcription needs today, or does one have to have Windows 7 installed? If so, is that commercially availab ...

My Computer Is Blocking Javascript On Nuance Testing Site.
Mar 14, 2012

Help!!!!   I am not able to complete the testing on Nuance mt.test site because my computer will not allow this program -- Javascript.  Has anyone else had this problem?   I am just wondering how you get around this.  On the yellow Active X add-on site, it will not allow this.  I am at my wit's end as to what to do.  I have not tried going on Technical Support.  I have tried that before and they never really help much.  So very useless, why ...

Are There Any Companies That Provide Computer Equipment? Tired Of Nuance
Jan 31, 2014

xx ...

Company Provided Computer Other Than MM And Nuance? Precyse Not Hiring Now.
Jul 18, 2014

Nuance not paying me enough to afford my own computer.   ...

Acct Going To Escription, Nuance Won't Upgrade Company Sypplied Computer- Sm
Apr 30, 2013

Nuance says they will make a $300 loan toward purchase of a personal computer to work on te account, paid in 26 installments. I know a decent computer that has their specifications will cost more than that. What to do?  I'm on Dictaphone now. ...

6.1 Install
Sep 07, 2010

I can't even get 6.1 installed correctly.  I attempted to download, got an error message to call support which I did.  Support called me back rather promptly.  The tech worked on my machine for 30 minutes cause he couldn't get it to download either.  He then pronounced it ready to go.  However, when I attempted to login I received another error message that said the program had to close and I can't login and have been waiting for support to call since 9:15 ...

Is There Any Way I Can Install Office 2003 On
Mar 04, 2010

heard that Office 7 is difficult to work with.  I have to learn BeyondTx at the same time, and I don't want to be overwhelmed with all of this.  I have never used any office programs for work.  Thanks for any help.       ...

VMWare Question. If You Install This On
Jun 07, 2011

your Win7, 64-bit computer to run DQS, if you enter your COA from your old computer's WinXP, will it cause you to not be able to use your old computer's WinXP anymore?  I'm assuming you're only supposed to use the Win XP COA on one computer, or does it not matter on the VMWare? ...

Question Regarding Install DocQScribe
Jan 16, 2012

Since starting work for Medquist last year, I've used the company computer which had DocQScribe already installed, but now I want to work from my own computer and send their equipment back.  Can anyone tell me how to install DocQScribe onto my computer?  Being from the old green file cabinet era, I'm not the most computer savvy.  ...

LANDESK Didn't Install It
Oct 08, 2014

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that this whole issue came around about a year ago, telling us we must install it, and upon looking into it, it was my impression that it would allow MM to track everywhere we go on our computers, so I didn't install it.  I asked for a company computer, and the matter was eventually dropped until now.  I don't know what to do.  ...

Any One Else Have Issues With IT Being Late For Install?
Oct 31, 2014

I was supposed to have an appointment with IT for an install at 5:30.  It is now about 10 of 6 and still no call.  Anyone else have a similar experience? ...

To Those That Had Install On This Past Friday...
Nov 03, 2014

Has training gotten in touch with you yet?  Thanks! ...