A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

how to delete tape using a dictaphone - sm

Posted: May 04, 2011

hey guys, does anyone know how to delete a tape on a dictaphone machine, I've a big one that i havent used in a while (years).... and i forgot how to erase finished tapes. any help TIA

play+record?? - nm - Jackie

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

sry i mean - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
i mean i've got the machine to play the tapes back, no the actual phone part that the dictators talk into

play+record should work -nm - Jackie

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar question here - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
Funny -- I just came on to post a related question. Maybe someone can help us both :0)

I work for a physician who still dictates on microcassette tapes! He has recently decided that he wants me to erase them rather than doing it himself when I return the tapes to him, but my Sony transcriber does not erase. (It will "record" over what he's dictated, but that takes FOREVER and picks up all the background noise.)

So, I just bought a little gadget that is basically a big magnet with a hole in the middle. You put the tape in, let it sit for a second or two, and then pull it through the other side, thereby erasing the tape. (Amazon, $25, Sanyo mini/micro cassette eraser)

My question was - does this damage the tape in any way or shorten it's lifespan? Has anyone used one of these before and had any problems?

So far, it is working and so easy! Hubby was afraid it would make re-using the tapes impossible somehow or damage/wear down the tape. I tried it and then tried re-recording over it, and that worked okay, but I don't want to cause unnecessary damage or wear & tear on the tapes either ...

Before digital, using that type of tape eraser was the only way. - Olive

[ In Reply To ..]
We erased tapes over and over for a long time. That brings back memories. We would push it side to side in and out fast. No problem.

erasers - dictationmall

[ In Reply To ..]
No, magnetic erasers do not cause and damage to the tapes.

tape erasure - noni

[ In Reply To ..]
My Dictaphone microcassette transcriber has an erase button. You hold it down and push FF or RW.

Similar Messages:

Tape For A Baseball Thrower's Arm S/l Canezio Tape
Jun 10, 2010

tape for a sore arm s/l canezio tape ...

ExEditor Won't Delete - Can't Work Until I Can Delete.
Nov 13, 2012

I have ExEditor (v 7.5) on my PC from a job I had 3 years ago. Nuance installed it but won't uninstall it because I don't have a service contract. I need this OFF my PC so I can install another version from another client and can't work until I can accomplish this. Error Mssg ("CAN'T READ FROM SOURCE FILE OR DISK") when trying following: Using Control Panel Add/Delete Program: Won't delete. Deleting individual files: Won't delete. Renaming f ...

Tape Used In Surgery
Jun 19, 2012

Has anyone heard of s/l Messics tape used in surgery?  Thanks in advance! Cindy ...

S/l 'kuhneesha' Tape
Sep 18, 2012

The dictator is saying that a newborn with arthrogryposis and orthopedic abnormalities has that tape on his hands and wrists.  I've never heard of this before (brand name?) and I can't seem to find it.  Thanks in advance! ...

Buddy Tape ?
Sep 12, 2013

Does anyone know if Buddy Tape is capitalized or not? Thank you ! ...

Holter Tape
Nov 13, 2014

A Holter tape was negative for atrial fibrillation and demonstrated S/L port runs of SVT. Is "port" runs correct. ...

Nissen Fundoplication S/l Ta-pay ?tape. ESL!
Apr 23, 2010

nm ...

Converting Tape To Digital
Nov 02, 2011

Anyone know of a machine that will convert cassette dictation tapes to digital format?  I do work for a doc who uses tapes (he doesn't want to convert to digital).   It's a good job, but I'd much prefer to transcribe using Express Scribe instead of the cassette machine. I've seen some ads on the Internet, but would prefer to go to a reputable store. Thanks for any help!   ...

Microcassette Tape Eraser
Oct 16, 2013

If anyone has a microcassette tape eraser for sale, please contact me.  I am looking to buy one. ...

Dental Surgery Tape
Oct 21, 2014

While doing an oral surgery note, the doc is stating what s/l "KHALLA" tape was then contoured....   Any ideas? I've checked all medical/dental/surgical sites I'm familiar with, but no luck.   Thank you in advance! ...

?s For Doc FINALLY Changing From Tape To Digital
Jun 09, 2012

what steps will i need to take in order to be HIPPA compliant, as far as receiving voice files & sending transcribed files to/from doctor ~ any info on this would be greatly appreciated!  thanks! ...

How Do You Delete A Post?
Sep 26, 2010

Used to be able to do it, but now when clicking "edit/delete post" under "options", it only allows you to edit instead of delete. Thanks! ...

HOW DO I DELETE A QA NOTE IN DQS?
Jul 21, 2011

I have been trying to delete a QA note that I initially inserted, but at the last minute I figured out what the mush-mouthed dictator was saying.  I CANNOT take out the marker or note!  Is there a way to do this, or do I have to send it to dreaded QA?  ...

If I Delete A Post
Feb 10, 2013

does it delete the entire thread with replies, or just my OP?  ...

So My Doctor Left His Tape Recorder Running...
May 05, 2010

and kept it in his pocket not only during the next patient's exam, but while he went to the bathroom!  THAT wasn't a sound I expected to have to transcribe! LOL ...

Doctor Is Dictating Quick-Tape Cast
Jun 21, 2010

Doctor is dictating Quick-Tape cast.  Is it Quick-Tape cast, quick-tape cast, or Quik-Tape cast?  Cannnot document any of these.  TIA for any help. ...

Re New Job Posting - $10/hr. For Tape Pickup + Printing/delivery
Jul 20, 2011

Just curious if anyone thinks that's a good deal.  And ad states "mini" cassette tapes too.  I did that 14 years ago and couldn't fathom going through it again.  Let alone for $10 per hour -- $20/hr big maybe, but not $10.  The driving, the typing, and the time to print +cost of printer ink/toner etc.  Doesn't add up to a great profit.   I know money is money, but am I thinking maybe $15 per hour might sound a little better?  Just wondering if t ...

Why Cant I Delete My Posted Messages
Jun 28, 2010

Just wondering. ...

TO THE MODERATORS - Why Can't I Delete Messages?
Sep 05, 2010

Edit/Delete only lets me edit, and even then it won't accept my password.  I use the same one every time.  Thanks. ...

HOW DO YOU DELETE ENTRY FROM DICTIONARY
Nov 02, 2010

Does anyone know how to delete entries from user dictionary?  Thanks in advance ...

Nevermind. Got It - Can't Seem To Delete This Post Tho
Jan 06, 2011

This doctor of mine is mumbling.  He says, "The nipple was set at 20 cm from the clavicle and" what sounds something like "deep framberg line"???    Ugh.  He said inframmary line.  I tried to delete post but it wouldn't let me. Sorry ...

I Can't Delete A Document In Word
Aug 12, 2011

I wrote a letter to my boss, and now every time I open Word, the letter appears. I never saved it. I tried erasing it and saving it as a blank document, but nothing works. It still keeps popping up. I restarted my computer but still. In order to type a new document, I have to erase the letter and type what I need and save it as something else. Please help! It's driving me insane! ...

Delete Trigger Happy
Feb 24, 2013

Where'd the posts go?? Is it because the poster was from India? Not talking about the racist post, but the one by "David Kenneth" or something like that. Just curious why it's gone. ...

Word 2003 - Problem With Delete Key
Nov 25, 2009

Every so often when I press the delete key, it zooms through the report and deletes every character past where the cursor was located.  Once everything is gone, the hour glass keeps flashing, the cursor no longer works, and I have to shut down the program and lose all of the material deleted.  I have lost entire reports when going back to the beginning and trying to edit something.  Any ideas on how I can stop this from happening? ...

On Google Chrome, Is There A Way To Automatically Delete
Feb 04, 2010

nm ...

Okay, This Is Getting Ridiculous. Who Can Delete Messages Besides The Moderator?
Jun 26, 2010

I posted twice on this board asking specific questions. Both were deleted. Why? I recieved no message from the moderator, so what's going on? Can anyone answer? ...

I Hope Those Of You Who Delete Skip Markers
Sep 10, 2010

Just a thought.  I'd rather not have ASR learn too much.  If it gets too good, I'm out of work (more than usual anyway). ...

Why Did This Give Me The Option To Edit Or Delete
Jan 27, 2011

not delete it?  am I blind is there a delete button somewhere? ...

Is It Possible To Delete A Punch From The Time Card
May 23, 2015

Brain fart, automatically signed on instead of approving my time card..dont want to bother time person with it.. ...

With E-scription, How Do I Delete An Entry In The Date Field
Dec 23, 2009

nm ...