A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Well, I just bought a brand new computer with Windows 7 and - PAMT

Posted: Apr 13, 2014

everything updates to the hilt and I am finding my typing screen has a lag to it.  I have tons of ram, etc etc and I wonder if Norton is playing a roll.  It isnt a terrible lag but when you type very fast it will locked for a few seconds.  It isnt like waiting on words to appear it is more a lock type lag if you type too fast.  I find these new computers are most assuredly nothing like the older ones that i have had.  Much more chintzy and of course made in China.  Isnt there anything you can buy anymore that lasts and is made decently.  Just hang on to all the old stuff if you can believe me.  Not much I could do about the computer though.  Mine was new in 2005 so this is 2014.  It was totally dying and had XP so not HIPPA compliant.  I miss XP.  Just thought I would vent. 

Complain to the dealer (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand computers come with spyware already in them and a ton of unnecessary stuff. At Best Buy they offer an $80 service to remove all the spyware and things you won't be using. Perhaps where you bought it will also do this.

I guess they cant tell what will cause a lag unless they start - PAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
deleting and deleting. Do you have to carry the computer in for this. I am sure the service people would do this where I bought the computer just hate to tear it down and lose work for it.

Lag time - I love Windows 7

[ In Reply To ..]
It might not be your computer, it might be your internet connection. RAM (how much is "tons?" would not affect your speed but so would your processor. Norton is a know resource hog; I stopped using it because it always slowed things down. It might be the programs you are using for work that are causing the slow down, there maybe compatibility issues. I would not complain to the dealer, I would ask a tech or someone who knows what they are doing. I have a 2-year-old Dell Windows 7 desktop (Intel quad processor, 8 GB of RAM) that is not like the "old stuff," thank goodness. I'm on my third Dell and have always found their machines to be built to last. Computer manufacture is actually global these days. The parts may be manufactured in the US, but the PCs may be assembled in China or the Philippines. You can always have a machine custom built if you don't like what you find on the open market. As with most things, a person gets what they pay for. Yes, there are a lot of things you can buy that are made decently. I don't miss XP at all, get over it.

As a matter of fact I did have this one built as well as the last one. Many people - PAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
miss XP so you get over it. I never buy factory made but always have them built. I don't want to be shipping something back if there is a problem. I want it built locally.

Get over it - I love Windows 7

[ In Reply To ..]
If you had it built then it wasn't made in China, I don't understand why you are complaining about the build. Please explain what makes XP so special and why you miss it so much. I remember SP1 being full of bugs. Anything 12 years old in terms of computers is way out of date. There are enough similarities between Windows XP and Windows 7 that it should not be a big deal.

Ever heard of certified computer techs or Geek Squad among others? - xxqx

[ In Reply To ..]
Generally, there is a warranty that comes with a computer regardless of whether it is locally built or not. I happened to get my Windows 7 computer a couple of years or so ago from a major retailer and what I did not realize (at least in the case of HP computers) was that the warranty started the day the computer arrived at the store and NOT the day that I purchased it. So for example, the computer arrived at the store in April and I purchased it in October, I technically only had 6 months left on that warranty and NOT a year. Generally, not that many things go wrong with a computer when you first get it (however, there have been some exceptions to the rule). Most people take computers to Best Buy, (Geek Squad) or Tiger Direct, some place that is known to have technicians on site. When I have gotten nasty viruses, even though I have a laptop, I have used remote support -- actually calling someone who would go into my computer via Go to Meeting or Team Viewer or another computer and repair it that way. It costs about the same as having it taken somewhere for repair, the company that I utilize has only American, English-speaking techs and even when I suspected a problem, they did not charge me the full amount when they found nothing. Your statement of "I want it built locally" just reminds me of a child stomping his or her foot and throwing a temper tantrum.

Well La Te Da that you had your computer "custom built" - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Going on 3 years ago, both my desktop and laptop that had XP on them were getting ready to "tank." At the time, I could not afford to spend over $400 on a computer. I purchased an HP laptop at Wal-Mart for just under $300. I have upgraded my memory -- myself. The only thing I wish I could change in the processor that I have in it as it is an AMD processor rather than an Intel.

Norton is a resource hog. I had also been using AVG Free with both of my XP computers. Ended up with a boatload of viruses and basically had one tech tell me I would be better off getting another computer. I now use Avast as my antivirus program and even with my "slower processor," I have never experienced lag time.

You do realize that even though your computer was "custom built" that the parts used for your computer were more than likely NOT manufactured in the US? Therefore, you should maybe "climb off the horse you are on." You specified the software that you wanted on it, so therefore, it is YOUR problem to rectify the situation.

Also, my computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium on it. When I in the process of installing software etc., I set it up to "Classic XP mode;" therefore, more in look and feel like XP. I had problems with being able to do some updates and contacted Microsoft about it. They were gracious enough to upgrade me to Windows 7 Professional at no charge.

Uh, YOU have control over the updates, ya know. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The lag is probably due to Norton. Get in there and setit to update only during the hours when you are not working. Better yet, uninstall it. Otherantivirus software does not do that.

This is a user problem, so stop blaming Windows 7.

I still want to know - I love Windows XP

[ In Reply To ..]
How much RAM is "tons?" I think this thread was probably started by someone trying to start an anti-Microsoft, anti-XP discussion. On a new PC, things will update "to the hilt" for a while until you are caught up on your Windows Updates and virus definitions. I agree with the others, replace Norton with something else, I've had trouble with it on every PC I've used.

have you checked your "windows task manager" to see what-all "services" are runn - Anemone

[ In Reply To ..]
I have very slow DSL and my computer slows on things like downloading voice files at times or just responding when I open a new tab -- say, to google.

There are often a lot of "services" that start automatically when you boot your computer that you may not need or use in the course of the day. They sort of "refresh themselves" which can cause an intermittent lag.

For instance, I turned off the automatic start-on-start-up of my Adobe Flash player, because it seemed to hog processing speed -- I enable it when I want to view a video.
Similarly, at times if my computer has been on for more than a day, my Firefox browser shows that it is using over 1 million K ... so I shut it down and restart it.
It's worth a look and a google -- all those "on" processes refresh intermittently even if you're not using them.
As I recall, I got a list of safe to take off "auto start up" processes Google from google. Take a peek.

oh, that's accessed by "right click on the task bar" - Anemone

[ In Reply To ..]
{or you can hit control-alt-delete (just once)}nd Windows Task Manager is at the bottom of the list (at least on my Windows 7)

You want to look at your processes and your services ... and notice how big the processes are and how much (%) cpu they occupy -- for example firefox goes from 5 to 20, "idle process" is usually high in the 70 to 90s. There may be nothing of interest there -- but for instance, when you turn on/open I-tunes it you can. Microsoft also has a tutorial ...

Similar Messages:

Computer Brand Advice?
Jul 30, 2012

I'm on the hunt this week for a new computer.  With all the new competitors, I haven't kept up with who is top of the line now or who is outsourcing tech support to where.  Any advice for me?  If you had a choice, who would you go with?  I've been using Dell for years but doesn't mean I need to stay there.  HP, Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Acer?  ...

Ghost In My Machine? Brand New Computer
Nov 26, 2009

I bought a new Dell back in August and have nothing but problems with it. First I had a ? board error, then for a few days had a keyboard failure. During all this, my font size keeps changing. One day I can barely read it (looks like this) and other days, (it looks like this). The menu bars now are so small, I can barely read them, yet the font size is so large, the words run off the edge of the screen. I have spent most of my time off work trying to figure it out. I went into display and ...

Bought A New Computer But ...
Jan 21, 2011

is it when I check on my battery status it says that it is not charging, even though it is plugged in?  Any one know how to fix this or what the problem is?  TIA. ...

Has Anyone Bought Software Or Computer Supplies On EBay?
Apr 02, 2012

I just recently bought Microsoft Word 2007 program on EBay and was told by seller that I would receive this in 3 to 4 days.  HA,  what a big joke that was.  It has been 9 days now since purchase on March 24.  Also I thought that UPS was delivering it which would be much better.   No, wrong again.  They are giving free delivery by USPS with high priority.  Oh Wonderful -- so happy that it gets high priority.  In that case, I might just get this before ...

Olympus DSS Player Pro - Recent Bought New Computer And Now Footpedal Does Not Work - Sm
Jan 30, 2012

I know there is something I need to click on but cannot remember what it is. Thanks for your help. ...

WAV & 64 Bit Computer & Windows 7
Feb 15, 2011

I'm having an awful time with my WAVpedal since getting a spanking new 64 bit computer running Windows 7.  The folks where I got my software insist that it's not a compatibility issue but I'm not so sure.  I'm finding that I'm not able to play certain types of voice files, including some, but not all, MP3's.  Seems to depend on the bit speed, not that I have any idea what that means.  I've been going back and forth with them for weeks now an ...

Just An FYI For Those That Might Be Looking For A Windows 7 Computer
Mar 16, 2014

I was checking mail last night after work and one was from "one of the home shopping sites."  I went to their website and noticed that they have laptops with Windows 7 on them that you can buy over several payments.  Not sure about desktops, because I have used a laptop for years and my current laptop has Windows 7.  Also, many of these and that might be pretty much everywhere, come installed with Home Premium (I know mine did), that does cause "problems down the road," as far as ...

Wanting To Put Windows 7 On My Computer. Please Sm
Dec 08, 2009

I currently have Vista.  I was eligible for the Windows 7 upgrade.  If I put Windows 7 on my computer, will I lose my programs, like my Shorthand, Kodak, my work programs used for typing? Thanks ...

I Just Downloaded DS To A New Windows 7 32-bit Computer
Apr 18, 2011

and I'm having all sorts of trouble.  Anyone else using Win 7 that can advise me?  I have to go in with every dictation and reset the pedal settings so that the pedal will work and the feature to enlarge the text won't work.  Sure could use some advise here. ...

Need Help Windows 7 Computer Shopping
Apr 10, 2014

Somebody posted yesterday that they are very happy with their new Windows 7 laptop.  I am shopping for either that or a Windows 7 all-in-one or regular computer.  Could that person tell me exactly what make and model they bought?  I don't want to buy the wrong thing, nor do I want to overpay for more than I need.   Thanks for your help.  ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Instant Text V On A Computer Running Windows 7?
Jan 14, 2011

Does anyone know if a resolution has ever been found for loading Instant Text V on a computer running Windows 7? I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 7 Professional so that it would run XP version programs. Why will it not load? It is telling me the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows I am running. ...

Nuance Bought OSI And Keystrokes Bought Chartnet This Week. Any Others? Sm
Sep 26, 2010

Nuance bought Encompass recently, too.  I heard they are buying all the eScription companies.  I bet that Keystrokes gets bought by MQ soon.  What the heck is going on with all these companies buying each other?  Will there be anyone left?  ...

Rx - Brand Names
Jan 05, 2010

When typing a name like Topicort - if it is cream or ointment, are those capitalized?  Also Selsun shampoo - is the word shampoo capitalized?  Thanks ...

Brand New World
Jan 11, 2010

Yesterday (Sun) was a nightmare. I was struggling to get jobs all day long (see posts below). There were very few last night even, when there are normally an abundance of jobs. I was bouncing all over the place; it was like the cesspool all over again. Look at the backlog this morning; only 400 jobs company wide at 8 EST? I think whatever upgrade they did yesterday morning just sucked more accounts to our ILPs. ...

Generic Or Name Brand?
Jan 08, 2011

I've seen both lidocaine and Lidocaine.  Which is correct? Thx in advance!  ...

Brand Name Of Wound VAC
Oct 20, 2011

I'm doing a Wittmann patch procedure and the doc keeps referring to a "a fair" wound VAC.  Could be aphthair, afthar, or something like that.  Any ideas?  I must be hearing incorrectly, but it sounds the same each time.  Any ideas appreciated.  TIA!   ...

Otho Help Brand Name Of Hip Prosthesis See Msg Thx
Jul 23, 2012

The patient has a left hip replacement.  He has a long-stem ( s/l   Pel-car) stem with a lateral plate and multiple wires.     Thanks for taking the time today !   ME =0) ...

Brand-new Downside To VR I Never Even Imagined:
Jan 07, 2013

Have any of you noticed, after months or years of doing nearly 100% VR, that when you get a straight transcription job to type, your speed isn't what it used to be, and you've forgotten half of your shortcuts?  Even worse, I was trying to get a typing certificate a couple weeks ago, and it was typing from copy.  The instructions also were unclear, and I couldn't figure out whether I was supposed to correct all the mistakes in the paragraph I was typing from, or not edit ...

Inlet Device - Brand Name Or Description?-sm
May 31, 2010

"All 12 mm port sites were closed with the inlet device, using figure‑of‑eight 0 Vicryl stitches. " It's resection of a colon tumor and anastomosis using the da Vinci.  I've heard this before but can't find a definite answer:  Is it the "Inlet (brand) device" or "inlet (descriptor) device"?  Thanks. ...

Using Brand Names As Verbs In Sentences
Mar 07, 2013

Using hemoclipped or endoclipped...... are they still capitalized when used this way?  Thanks. ...

Brand New HUGE Account Coming (BR). If We Can't Keep Up With What
Jun 10, 2015

we have now and they keep requesting OT, how is this supposed to work!?! ...

Is There Any Site That Lists Generic Vs Brand Name Drugs?
Nov 07, 2009

nm ...

Hints For Brand Names Vs Generic Drugs
Aug 11, 2011

I was hoping some more experienced MTs could help me with something.  I am struggling with remembering which are brand names and which are generics (so I know to cap them or not).  Is there some trick to this? A website that can quickly (and obviously) tell you?  Perhaps some software you all have? Please, it is driving me crazy and my quality is suffering :(  ...

AUTOCORRECT - How To Coph From Windows XP To Windows 7
Aug 22, 2013

HOW TO COPY AUTOCORRECT FROM WINDOWS XP TO WINDOWS 7 ...

Good Brand/model Digital Voice Recorders
Feb 11, 2010

Hi, What is a good brand/model for a digital voice recorder to recommed to a doctor for recording their voice files? Thanks, Abby ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Windows 7 And Using Windows XP Mode
Aug 05, 2011

Has anyone ever wanted to work for a company that only used Windows XP and you had Windows 7 but could virtually move to XP mode?  Could you download their software on the XP mode side and get it to work?  I had a job interview where their software only worked on XP.  I thought I could do that, but I had to also have Word 2003.  I only have 2010, but it has the compatability pack for 2003, BUT the client's software couldn't differentiate that.  If I maybe bough ...