A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Virus - fraud ware - Ang

Posted: Jan 30, 2010

For the second time, some scumbag has put one of those unsolicited scans on my computer which subsequently gives me an infected file message and at that point I cannot use my computer.  I read on this board, I believe, some instructions on how to remove a virus - does anyone know anything about that?  My tech fixed it and now the very next day, same thing happened.

Once it's fixed - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't help you with the removal of the actual virus if the computer is frozen completely. I just went through this myself with my laptop and had to have Windows completely reinstalled, to the tune of $225.00. Blech.

If you can still do anything at all with your computer, try downloading Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free virus protection and it's what my computer tech guy recommended. It beats the Norton Antivirus that I had running at the time I got the Netsky virus.

I downloaded it onto my desktop and the first scan it ran showed that I had several interesting/scary things on there that it removed.

Good luck. I hope you get it fixed without too much hassle and/or expense.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Can you restart in safe mode? - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can then go and download avast or AVG a good antivirus program. Run the scan and see if it will catch it. Do you know what the name of the virus is? You can google it and most of the time there will be info about how to remove it.

"Viruses" yeah right . . . - MT who knows

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you connected directly to a hospital-based system? Virus . . yeah right. Well, the nightmares of transcription really surface with that "setup." The only time in my life that I have ever experienced total chaos with "viruses" etc. was when I connected to the network of a hospital-based system. You will be shocked at what you find on your computer -- it is malicious software. Download a version of Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool to scan your computer. This scan will tell you EXACTLY what is on your system, and you will see plainly that what is on there is coming from your work-source network. You can remove the "virus" from your system; however, since the "virus" takes down your system, you will have to rebuild it or restore it. I don't think you should restore it with a restore disk that has been used over and over again because chances are that particular disk might have an issue as well. After you remove the malicious software/"virus" and rebuild your system, keep a backup of your own.

You need software that also catches spyware/adware, not just viruses. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
If your virus program doesn't include scans for all 3, do a Google search. I use Zone Alarm security and firewall that also scans sites for trojans, adware, and spyware. It also blocks those ads that pop up on you and download malware. A lot of the free virus scans don't check for all of this stuff.

virus - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I had to have help when my system was completely frozen, but after that we used www.superantispyware.com (free version) and www.download.com (download the malwarebytes program). Malwarebytes took care of the problem immediately. Good luck!

for heaven's sake what makes you all think that - virus & free antivirus?

[ In Reply To ..]
a free antivirus program works better than a paid one??
Free antivirus programs will not work in the long run, and it is those "free" programs which promise a lot and do not deliver. Most probably the viruses are not being deleted, therefore your computer "crashes," caused by accumulation of several viruses.

Why would they give it for free? Sure there is something to their advantage, otherwise they would not give it for free.
These are also the infected computers which infect other computers.

Don't kid yourself, Norton and McAfee are the best and the $ 40.-- I pay each year are worth it. At least when I catch a virus from another infected computer my "paid" antivirus program will immediately, automatically get rid of it and my computer never crashed.

A lot of companies and clients reject free antivirus programs and ask specifically for Norton or McAfee.

I am not an antivirus software vendor, I just do not trust "free things."

oh please - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
McAfee is what I have from MQ, and it did not protect my computer! That is why I had to resort to superantispyware and malwarebytes. Norton is questionable..sometimes go too far with trying to prevent things and causing slow downs and the like.

I used to use either/or, but got viruses with both of them...sm - I totally agree with Anon!

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to AVG and have never - and let me repeat NEVER - had a virus. BTW, AVG is the free program that was bashed above. I also have a malware program. The key is to keep them updated and set the virus program to run with everything and in the background, and to run the malware program at least every week.
I, too, got my virus with my paid "protection" - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials were two of the three best options that my tech guy recommended. The other one was a paid program. He had absolutely nothing to gain by telling me this. When I asked him which one he thought was best regardless of whether it was free or not, he liked both AVG and the MSSE.

I picked up my lovely Netsky virus while running a full version of Norton.

you can prevent this by adjusting the Firewall - proection

[ In Reply To ..]
from low to medium to high.
Not always - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't mean to be argumentative, but I'm fairly computer literate and I had my computer set just slightly less than paranoid. Some of these viruses are designed to come through no matter what. I also somethings think that the people who write the viruses create them specifically to get around the Nortons and the McAfees of the world, since so many people out there use them.

My tech guy told me that there was a huge wave of virus activity right after Christmas, which is when I got mine.
The Windows firewall cannot protect you against email or - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
pop-up ads that can download viruses. Microsoft even publishes that fact. A quick Google search will tell you what you need for full protection.

THANKS ALL - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks all - you folks are great!! My tech told me over phone that we could start it (laptop) as one poster said in safe mode and go from there. He said he thought the scammers are ahead of the spyware programs right now - anyway, I use AVG - we'll see - I think facebook applications may be contributing to the problem. We'll see. As I said, scammers are scumbags. Will keep you posted.
TX again.

Facebook - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to be really careful with some of the Facebook apps. I don't run them myself, but I have heard recent stories lately of several viruses coming through them. Good luck with your fixes.

Viruses in facebook, twitter, YouTube, music downloads, all FREE... - .

[ In Reply To ..]
there will always be people you stick to free and cheap things and let themselvses convince that they are good.

Can remove with ... - malwarebytes

[ In Reply To ..]
You never did say what "program" you were infected with, but I suspect it was "AV2009" or something similar.

If you get this warning that your system has been scanned and is infected, but you are being warned by some official-looking program you haven't installed or paid for, I think you are OK if you: Immediately shut your system down. Just press the power button to turn off your machine. You should be OK when your start your machine again.

If you click on the AV2009 window -- even the "X" to close it -- I think you are then infected.

I have read in many places that once you are infected, malwarebytes is supposed to remove this thing.

Altogether, what a travesty that people do this kind of garbage.

Similar Messages:

EMR = Fraud ??
Feb 25, 2013

You all may have already seen this, but I think it's important to know how our efforts are helping to promote this rip-off and who benefits.....   http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?_r=3& ...

Fraud?
Jan 16, 2015

Anyone else been told that it is fraud for one to be assigned jobs or alter what jobs they receive (including leads and others picking and justifying it for TAT) differently than another and it compromises productivity/pay that they came up with?  ...

Better Coding Or Fraud?
Jul 23, 2012

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/767732?sssdmh=dm1.804760&src=nldne ...

Committing Insurance Fraud
Sep 15, 2013

I was a CMT who is now doing insurance billing and coding. Now that I understand what I'm doing, after several months, I realize I'm committing insurance fraud. Basically, the doc I work for is very ethical and is not committing the fraud. It's me. The business is owned by a different doctor who makes the doc I work for perform certain tests. However, the doc I work for refuses to circle the appropriate ICD codes on the superbill that will pay for the CPTs which, of course, is the ...

MQ Virus
Feb 03, 2010

Has anyone had to deal with tech for a computer virus?  My MQ computer (not this one) has a virus, it says a worm and also security 2010 virus.  I did not work today nor tomorrow, so I am not going to deal with it until it is my work day, not on my days off.  So the computer is shut off until then.  However, I was wondering how long does it take to fix?  I had a nasty virus about a year ago on my personal computer and had to have it completely erased and new windows load ...

Maybe Virus And Not 6.1?
Sep 10, 2010

Undoubtedly I have picked up a virus if nobody else is having this slowness and delay that I am having.  Sometimes will just stop while I am still typing and then will catch up.  It takes longer to upload and download a report.  No flaming please.  I have typed for a hundred years, and this is not right.  It just happened when I upgraded the 6.1.  If everyone was having this trouble, I think we would all be screaming.  Will try running virus scan this ...

EEEK A VIRUS!!!!
Nov 01, 2009

I have been infected!! Well, my MQ computer anyway.  This has never happened before. I have never had a virus even on my personal computer.  What do I do?  I emailed support because it is a Sunday and every time in the past on Sundays I get a rude tech so I didnt call.  It is also my day off so I just shut my computer off and I guess if they don't call me tomorrow then I will call them.  Beware... it is called personal gaurd 2009.  I don't know how I got i ...

Eeek Its Me Again, The One With The Virus
Nov 04, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestions below!  Support had called me on Monday and I spent 4 hours on the phone with them trying to get the virus off.  They couldn't do it and escaladed the ticket.  That person was suppose to call me yesterday and didn't.  Then they didn't call me today and I called support back and they told me it was out of their hands!  So I missed yesterday and today from work which normally wouldnt be so bad, but there are only 4 paychecks ti ...

Anti-virus
Jan 07, 2010

Does anybody know where on MQ Central we can get the Kaspersky anti-virus download?  McAfee was messing up, so I downloaded the Kaspersky last week.  However, I can't get it to work and now I can't find the software download/instructions anywhere.  I'm thinking they deleted it from the site. ...

Virus Scans
Sep 14, 2010

I think this is where I am to post this.  I have Norton 360 installed on my computer.  Every night, it just starts running a scan, usually when I am working :-(.  This really, really slows my computer down.  Is there anything I can about this?  I have it set for "manual scans."  I didn't think it would just run on its own if I had it set to manual.  I then run a scan every night after I get down working.  It is very aggravating.  Any help or advi ...

Virus Question
Jun 14, 2011

Does anyone seem to know where I keep getting this virus from, Exploit:Win32/Pdfjsc.CR.  My system cleans this out every day and it is driving me nuts.  Thank you! ...

Norfolk Virus
Mar 01, 2011

Is there such a thing as Norfolk virus?  I was not able to find that, but did find Norwalk or Norovirus.  Dictator is clearly not saying either of these and it sounds more like Norfolk virus.  Thanks for any help.  ...

Yahoo News "India's Medical Schools Plagued With Fraud"
Jun 18, 2015

A commenter said that to work in the US, the foreign doctor has to intern in the States.  I have to research if that is true.  Anyone know? ...

Crap! I Received A Virus.
Jun 01, 2010

So, I am working on MQ computer and wanted to ask a question on MTstars and before you know it, a virus started downloading.  I freaked out and tried to stop the virus from scanning.  I got out of MTstars and tried to get out of report I was on and nothing, my computer froze.  I turned off computer and waited for 10 minutes, got back on and I cannot get into DocQscribe or Schedulesource because a warning window pops up stating I have a virus.  I cannot even get into Schedule ...

Virus Scanner Download
Jul 30, 2010

I'm definitely sure I have some bugs in my computer as manifested by my search results bringing me to repeated links other than what I clicked.  I was using Threatfire, but that didn't pick anything up.  I did Trendmicro Housecall and that picked stuff up and fixed them and everything seemed to be alright, but it comes back after reboot.  Does MQ have a virus scanner for free download and, if so, where can I get it?  Thanks! ...

Capitalization Of Virus Types
May 03, 2011

ECHO virus Type 9 and Coxsackie Group A, Type 9 can produce meningitis and petechiae. Should the words "type" and "group" be capitalized? ...

Express Scribe Virus
Oct 21, 2014

The clinic I work at has Express scribe on one computer. It seems that computer has been attacked with a virus. They think it is the express scribe system. Have you had any problems with this in the last day or so? ...

West Nile Virus Treatment? (sm)
Feb 16, 2011

The patient is in a s/l *total shell* with a headrest secondary to West Nile virus, some neuromotor dysfunction, but no acute changes. This is mentioned in the HEENT exam on a discharge, not the reason the pt was admitted so have nothing else to go by and no other notes mention anything. He is just mumbling his way through this whole thing (new PA) and I cannot quite get what he is meaning, the "t" sound and "shell" are the only clear sounding parts, and googling with West Nile virus and h ...

Anyone Else Get A Virus Warning When Signing Into Teamwork
Aug 28, 2012

I got two Trojan Horse warnings when I signed in..the virus was blocked and it let me sign in...Anyone else?  very weird ...

Beware Email Virus Scam
Mar 28, 2013

I'm sure most of you are savvy enough to watch out for email scams. I only mention this because I actually am expecting a package and this one looks legit enough. It appears to be from FedEx. Says the courier could not deliver your package, print this receipt and follow directions.  ...

Anyone Attempting To Download New Virus Program For TT?
Oct 20, 2014

Not for me. ...

My McAfee Virus Scan Subscription Runs Out
Dec 03, 2009

at the end of December.  I know it is not the best scanner.  Need opinions on what else is out that that is good.  I have heard bad things about Nortoon's.  McAfee and Norton's are really the only 2 that are advertised that you hear about.  Any opinions, suggestions, experiences???   TIA. ...

Cheap (preferably Free) Virus Protection
Apr 22, 2013

For my personal computer, don't do MT on it.  Do buy Norton for the one I work on.  Any suggestions? ...

MS Patient With Virus, Receiving Famvir, Has Multiple S/l "new Pocks" In The Brain On MRI.
Jan 07, 2010

:) ...