A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question about installing extra memory - DazedNConfused

Posted: Mar 17, 2012

Has anyone ever installed a memory stick into their computer?  I need to install an extra GB of memory into my computer for a new position and, to say the least, I'm most definitely not tech savvy. 

Is it easy to do? Can you just purchase the memory stick at RadioShack or some place like that? Is it possible to damage your computer installing it?

Many thanks to anyone who give me some tips on this...I realize it's probably a very simple procedure but the thought of opening up my tower terrifies me, LOL!

ok I have DONE THIS - notAtech

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe you are talking about a memory card and not a memory "stick." If so, here is what I did. I had a friend who was a computer guru. Also had tech support people who told me it was easy to do. called a few computer places and it was going to cost about $50-$75 to install, and the card only cost $35. here's the glitch. they want you to believe you should "never ever" open the back of your computer, which you will have to do to insert memory card, and just ignore that. you'll need a phillips head or screwdriver, but you CAN remove the back of your computer. go to a computer store, not a Best Buy, not even a chain, but a locally owned one if you can find one. tell them you need a memory card. it has specific instructions on how to install and it is NOT HARD. the only thing to pay attention to is it says "do not touch any part of the card except the edges," which scared me, but I did it. you will know which slot it goes in because it will be the only slot open in your computer and will be the correct size for your memory card. the hardest thing for me was getting it in because I was so afraid of damaging it that I didn't want to "push it in" the slot, but you have to. when you put it in, there are things on the end that you push down and they will "click" so you know it's in. hope this helps. don't be afraid, if I did it, anybody can :)

notAtech - Thanks so much (sm) - DazedNConfused

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for the advice! The fact that installing the thing (which sounds like it takes about 2 minutes tops) would cost more than the memory card (thanks for the correct term on that, BTW!) just blew me away, LOL!

I'll be doing this tomorrow so please keep your fingers crossed for me, LOL!

Make sure to ground yourself so you don't zap your system with static - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I installed more memory in my computer this week and had no issues. I just wore rubber gloves to prevent static issues.

There are also videos on YouTube to show you how to install the memory card. That's how I figured it out and it worked great!

Good luck!
Thanks so much - Mission Accomplished! - Whew!
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much...It was so simple to do and took all of less than 5 minutes. I'd have been kicking myself in the backside for days had I paid someone to install it for $50, LOL!

This explains it pretty well - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/addmemory.aspx

NotATech - All done! - DazedNConfused

[ In Reply To ..]
All done and it didn't cost me a penny. I had two old PCs that I was able to "recycle" from and, voila, snapped in 2 memory cards to replace the 1 GB memory card and now have the required 2 GB. Whew!

Thanks so much for your step-by-step and tip about the "clicking"!

Why dont you just take it to Best Buy and have them do it. - seems easier then messing with it yourself.

[ In Reply To ..]
You can buy it from them and they will add it for you.

It was actually REALLY simple and saved $50 doing it myself - DazedNConfused

[ In Reply To ..]
Also, I had two older computers here with various problems, so I was able to recycle those memory cards to the newer computer, doubled my RAM and it was really simple (even for me, lol!). Any time I can save about $50, I'm a happy camper :-)

Similar Messages:

See Post. Hearing End Of Word Only ______ Trophic Memory. Pt Has Memory Loss.. See Msg Thanks
Sep 16, 2011

Patient does have some (sounds like difficulties ace/e/trophic or hearing trophic at end  memory and, therefore, history is somewhat limited by the patient. ...

Installing 6.1 On Win7
Sep 12, 2010

You can install DQS 6.1 on Win7, if that is all you have.  Note that you can't install 6.1 on a 64bit version of Windows 7. The way to get it to work is you MUST do the install as an "elevated" rights user.  Since you install via IE, that means you must run IE elevated.  The way to do this is to, if you are in the Start menu, right click and select "Run as Administrator".  If you have IE pinned to your taskbar, press [SHIFT] + [CTRL] and mouse-click the IE icon.  Y ...

How Do You Prevent IE 10 From Installing?
Apr 30, 2013

Internet Explorer 10 just automatically installed itself and deleted my other IE browser.  I have system restored back before the update, and I have gone in and told the updater not to update automatically, so I am good for now, but I have done this before and have done even more to avoid IE updates, and here I am having to uninstall again.  I worked with tech support to attempt to avoid having IE updates install, but apparently that did not work this time or has been someho ...

Need Help Installing Docqscribe On Windows 7
May 20, 2010

Can one of you super helpful people give me the steps to go in as the administrator (not sure how to do that) and install docqscribe on Windows 7?  Thanks! ...

Installing MS Windows 2003 Suite
Nov 08, 2009

I am still using Word 2000 and have XP but need to switch to 2003 for a new job and have decided to go with just changing to MS Windows 2003, so my question is, how difficult is it to figure out how to do it?  Is this something anyone can do that has worked on computers since day 1 or should I have a computer expert do this for me.  I don't want to lose my PC Shorthand or my medical spellchecker, electronic CD books, etc.  The thought of losing all that stuff scares me to dea ...

Anyone Have The Email For Installing Windows Mail
Oct 15, 2013

I can't get mine to work and the last person I want to talk to is Phil in India. Just want to uninstall it and reinstall it ...

Memory
Jan 08, 2010

Has anybody done an upgrade on MQ computer?  Mine's going slow and has a very small RAM kb on it.  If so, where did you get the upgrade from? ...

Memory Lane
Jan 21, 2010

In a post below a couple of ppl are remembering the good old days, you remember, when MTs made as much as RNs and sometimes even more than the resident docs?... (memories, light the corners of my mind...)   How about when we had CORNER offices, expense accounts, direct lines, listing in the hospital directories.  They mentioned below hourly pay WITH line incentive. GEEZ!  I remember that!! I MISS THAT!!  We got bonuses, paid vacation and at 5 years the company se ...

Someone Please Refresh My Memory . . .
Jun 08, 2011

Exactly how many paycuts have we taken over the past few years?  I know there are quite a few, and the last jab is the 99% audit.  ...

Refresh My Memory On ML And Cc, Please
Feb 10, 2012

He dictates:  dexamethasone 4 mg/cc.  Should I type this or 4 mg/mL?  I can't remember.  Thanks ...

Having A Lapse Of Memory
Apr 16, 2013

Would someone please tell me how to change something in our signature block in e-mails.  I need to make a correction and have forgotten how to do this.  I don't want to have to call tech support and talk to "Phil." TIA. ...

Refresh My Memory Please On OOW. S/m
Sep 03, 2013

I haven't been OOW for months. Today I have no work. I've clocked out with the OOW message. Do I have to make this time up? I don't particularly care to - not my problem there's no work after a holiday. If I'm short my 40 hours due to OOW, does that count against me as far as PTO and insurance? Thanks. ...

Name Of Syndrome When You Have Trouble With New Memory??? Thanks. Nm
Dec 15, 2009

nm ...

A Stroll Down Memory Lane
Feb 28, 2012

I was just cleaning out my email and found some from an old employer and her merry troupe of QA gals.  I have never in my life had a job that made me so crazy and rereading these crazy emails are reminding me just how fortunate and happy I am now.  That job transition was the classic from the frying pan and into the fire situation, which in turn led to the longest year of my professional life, which may or may not have included one email in which all of us crappy MTs were compared to f ...

Fond Memory Of Transtech
Mar 06, 2014

I only worked there a short while some time ago but really liked them. I had responded to an ad posted here and received a response.  I had researched opinions about them and was hesitant to accept.  I told the recruiter that.  I then received several e-mails from people who had worked there for years who told me their experience and invited me to join them.  I did. I have never had that experience with a company before, and it impressed me greatly.  So sorry they were f ...

Lachman And Memory Signs? Please See Message
Sep 13, 2012

On a knee examination, the doc is saying "Lachman and s/l memory signs are positive."  Does memory make sense?   TIA ...

What Is The Correct Spelling Of Novocaine? I'm Having A Memory Lapse
Dec 26, 2011

x ...

Could Someone Refresh My Memory On How To Remove A Word From Spell Check?
Dec 11, 2009

I accidently added a word to spell check that is a misspelling.  I think someone posted how to delete a word....I can't find that post........   Thanks!!!! ...

What's That, TSM? You Are Asking For Extra Help
Jan 08, 2015

Well, let me think about this....I just checked Fiesa and I have two 100% reports in there.  I'm normally off Thurs/Fri.  So if I just don't work anymore chances are good I will stay right at that 100%.  If I do (and I KNOW I'll get the worst dictators AND my backup account I rarely work on, happens every time in this situation)....but chances are HIGH that I will get that worked audited and then drop below 100%, prob evening falling off the "grid" and/or having to ...

Why Do They Keep Asking For Extra Hours?
Nov 10, 2009

I don't know about you all but my CCM is constantly asking us to work "extra," even when there are no late jobs and not an over abundance of dictation.  What is the deal?  The other night we were requested to work at least 1 extra hour.  Tonight they are asking again.  I don't know about you all but I have a family and other things I like to do other than work.  Don't they realize we have lives away from MQ???  Besides, that extra hour is really not g ...

Extra Strength
Nov 25, 2009

The doctor dictates: The patient's back pain responds fairly well to Tylenol; in fact better than ibuprofen. He typically takes 1 Extra Strength three times a day. Do I capitalize Extra Strength because it is assumed part of Tylenol? Or do I leave it lower case because it is not typed with the brand name Tylenol? ...

Where Does The Extra Money Go?
Sep 27, 2010

I assume that the MT companies set up a contract with the client for them to pay on a per-line basis.  Of course, they charge more than they pay us; that's how they make their money & that's fine.  But what I'm wondering is... when we get a report that comes in as VR instead of straight typing, where does the extra money go, since we get paid less for VR.  I feel like I work just as hard, if not harder on VR than typing a report.  So why don't we make ...

Extra-axial
Oct 04, 2010

Is extraaxial (brain tumor) one word or is it hyphenated?  ...

Extra-strength
Oct 24, 2010

is extra-strength Tyelnol hyphenated? ...

MD-IT Needs An Extra Few Days To Pay Me
Nov 01, 2010

was just told that md-it was going to need an extra few days to pay me. This is not the end of the world for me, but it does make me worry a bit about their financial health. Could someone out there tell me if they have had this problem too? ...

All This Hub Bub About Needing Extra Help For
Nov 07, 2010

I sit with NJA....on my SCHEDULED day to work. Once again, thanks a lot MQ for your oh so talented way of giving OT and incentives when they aren't necessary and taking away work from people who are actually scheduled to work. I appreciate it. ...

When They Pay You The $10/hr Extra Incentive
Mar 24, 2012

to work OT, do you still get time-and-a-half line rate, or is it straight line rate plus the $10/hr? ...

Extra Bonus
Jun 24, 2013

Just wondering to those of you who received the last quarterly bonus, how long did it take for them to pay you the bonus.  I didn't receive it last time but should receive it this time.  I know the quarter ends the end of June and last time they sent e-mails stating it would take a little while.  Thanks for any info! ...

Why I Will NEVER Work EXTRA
Aug 22, 2013

Every time that I log onto the system, I am reminded how disrespected, how underpaid, how unappreciated that I truly am. So - MTSO - you can publish your "SOS, EXTRA HELP NEEDED!" messages all you want.  If it ever comes down to your being willing to PAY for me to give precedence to YOUR needs, perhaps I'll consider it.  MEANWHILE, GO SUCK AN EGG, YOU BLOODSUCKERS!! ...

Should Be Some Extra Scraps Of Work For Us
Jan 22, 2010

January 26 is Republic Day in India. It is one of their most important events/holidays in India.  It is kind of like our 4th of July.  It is the anniversary when they became a republic.  They will be dancing in the streets, eating tons of Chaat and drinking lassi until the cows come home (literally), I guess.  (I have an Indian friend who tells me these things.) Maybe we will have some extra work.  Some of them will be working, but not all I would imagine.  Whoo. ...