A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How do you prevent IE 10 from installing? - sb

Posted: Apr 30, 2013

Internet Explorer 10 just automatically installed itself and deleted my other IE browser.  I have system restored back before the update, and I have gone in and told the updater not to update automatically, so I am good for now, but I have done this before and have done even more to avoid IE updates, and here I am having to uninstall again. 

I worked with tech support to attempt to avoid having IE updates install, but apparently that did not work this time or has been somehow reset.  I have forgotten what they told me to do to avoid auto installs of IE updates (I seem to remember it was more than just what I did today as above), and I would really like not contacting them about this (don't like to spend the time on my own dime).  So if someone knows off the top of the head, I would really appreciate the information.

PS:  This is posted on the Nuance board because Nuance software does not work properly on IE 9 or 10, so I thought someone who works for Nuance would know this, their being motivated to prevent it from happening.

Maybe it depends on your Operating System? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm on XP, and I go through Start, Control Panel, Security Center, Manage Security Settings for: Automatic Updates.

I have mine set for "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them" and have never had any problems.

Oh, I also "hide" any IE updates when I go through Microsoft to install other updates so those don't keep coming back at me there.

updates - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm on 7 Professional and have my udates set to where I can see which updates to install and which not to. Take out 10 or whatever you downloaded and reinstall IE 8, When it asks you to update to IE 9 or 10, ignore it.

IE10 kept reinstalling for me - Eagle

[ In Reply To ..]
no matter what I did to remove it. I finally told tech support I would try to go ahead and work with it. No problems. I have Windows 7 Pro.

IE10 update - miffedmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Go to Control Panel, Windows Update, click on 'Select updates to install", and make sure there is NOT a check mark by the IE10 update. It won't "install" after that.

You're right, it shouldn't . . . but - Eagle

[ In Reply To ..]
it did. I'm just thankful to have had no problems using IE10 with Nuance software.

Go into "install and uninstall software" under - OHMT

[ In Reply To ..]
"Control Panel." Uninstall IE10. Reboot. Then, go to Windows update and let it scroll. It SHOULD find IE10 as a program to update. Click on the box that tells it NOT to update. Another box should pop up, asking if you do or do not want to see this update again. Answer "no", you don't want to see it again. Let me know how it goes.

Similar Messages:

Can And Should Lousy Credit Prevent Someone From Getting An MT Job?
Jan 27, 2011

If someone has lousy credit, why would this matter for an MT position?  Maybe there are extenuating circumstances why their credit isn't good, like loss of previous job, death in the family or other emergencies.  ...

Prevent Accidentally Saving Over Template
May 10, 2015

I have tried to train my brain to use Save As to prevent saving over my templates but I still save over them all too often.  I am using Instant Text but still don't have shortcuts for a lot of my doctors in there yet.  Any advice is much appreciated. ...

Installing 6.1 On Win7
Sep 12, 2010

You can install DQS 6.1 on Win7, if that is all you have.  Note that you can't install 6.1 on a 64bit version of Windows 7. The way to get it to work is you MUST do the install as an "elevated" rights user.  Since you install via IE, that means you must run IE elevated.  The way to do this is to, if you are in the Start menu, right click and select "Run as Administrator".  If you have IE pinned to your taskbar, press [SHIFT] + [CTRL] and mouse-click the IE icon.  Y ...

Need Help Installing Docqscribe On Windows 7
May 20, 2010

Can one of you super helpful people give me the steps to go in as the administrator (not sure how to do that) and install docqscribe on Windows 7?  Thanks! ...

Installing MS Windows 2003 Suite
Nov 08, 2009

I am still using Word 2000 and have XP but need to switch to 2003 for a new job and have decided to go with just changing to MS Windows 2003, so my question is, how difficult is it to figure out how to do it?  Is this something anyone can do that has worked on computers since day 1 or should I have a computer expert do this for me.  I don't want to lose my PC Shorthand or my medical spellchecker, electronic CD books, etc.  The thought of losing all that stuff scares me to dea ...

Question About Installing Extra Memory
Mar 17, 2012

Has anyone ever installed a memory stick into their computer?  I need to install an extra GB of memory into my computer for a new position and, to say the least, I'm most definitely not tech savvy.  Is it easy to do? Can you just purchase the memory stick at RadioShack or some place like that? Is it possible to damage your computer installing it? Many thanks to anyone who give me some tips on this...I realize it's probably a very simple procedure but the thought of opening ...

Anyone Have The Email For Installing Windows Mail
Oct 15, 2013

I can't get mine to work and the last person I want to talk to is Phil in India. Just want to uninstall it and reinstall it ...