A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MSWord "Word Count" - Anon

Posted: Jan 20, 2011

Does anyone know how MSWord calculates it's lines in the "Word Count" feature under the Tools category?  I took the number of "characters with spaces" and divided that by 65 and got a totally different number of lines than what was listed under their "Lines" category, so they obviously don't use a 65 char line and I can't seem to find any information on their website about this.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

It goes by your document margins and font - Michelle

[ In Reply To ..]

The Line Count in MS Word is set up to your document.  Half inch margins are longer lines than inch margins.  It also depends on the Font you use.  Times 12 is shorter than Times 16.  It also counts every return (or blank line) that you have on the page.  If you turn on your Paragraph Show/Hide and count the lines of type PLUS all the paragraph symbols, it should equal the number of lines in the MS Word Counter (-1 because it does not count the very last or very first – don’t know which one or why -- paragraph symbol).  

If you want your line to be exactly 65 characters, you need to set your Font to Times 12, with 1.5 inch margins on both sides.  Or you can use a larger Font with smaller margins.  

Just play with your document and you will see what happens when you check the Line Count.  

It is really more accurate to use the Character Count and divided by 65, if you want to know how many keystroke lines are in the document.  Then you don’t have to play around with margins and Font sizes.  

Hope this helped.

A line can even be a blank line. Best to compare charac. - to charac if you are trying SM

[ In Reply To ..]
to correlate your line ct with your MTSO.

Counting lines, making invoices - Marianne

[ In Reply To ..]
A line counting software that counts 65 character lines and also does your invoicing will save you precious time that you can use to do more lines and earn more. Have you thought about it?

Line count versus a character count are never - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
going to be the same. A line can be 1 word versus 65 characters to create a line. A line count counts each individual line, character count means that so many characters equal 1 line which can literally be 3 or 4 "lines" on the report.

Similar Messages:

Ine Count Program That Works With Word And Doesn't Count Blank Lines?
Feb 18, 2012

Does anyone know of a line count program that works with Word and doesn't count blank lines? ...

Best Way To Count Lines In Word?
Mar 08, 2010

What is the best way to count lines in Word? Thanks you ...

Good Word Count?
Oct 03, 2014

Hello, everyone.  I am currently two years as an IC for a company (I'd rather not name) and am kind of unsatisfied.  I can make my own hours, which is a plus, but the pay is VERY low.  I am thinking of shopping around but I don't know if my word count is good enough to count as average, above or below.  My average is 350-400 lines an hour edited or 150ish lines an hour standard (as you all know, this depends on what doctors I get for the day).  I am currently b ...

Need A Word/line Count Program
Jul 14, 2010

Any help, advice, need a word/line count program. Free if possible until I get established with job. ...

Word Line Count Software
Jul 25, 2011

I have been using Sylcount the past year.  If I do computer updates, which generally occur once a month, it seems to make things not work correctly.  Could you suggest other line counting software that you use, please?  I might like to switch.  Thank you. ...

Msword Error
Jul 16, 2012

I work for a help desk, and my users are getting msword error when they go to view/sign documents for patients.  The error is not specific, just that msword crashed.  After closing word I get the following error on probity: A non-DocObject is open or loaded. Use File/Close to destroy it. Can someone help me out with a solution so my user can view and sign documents again? Thanks! ...

Using Shorthand In MSWord
Jul 19, 2012

Anyone know how to jump to your blank fields to be filled in (-) set up in Shorthand in MSWord?  One of the new accounts I am on requires us to type in Word and paste.  In Meditech, F3 allows me to jump to the - throughout my Shorthand shortcuts.  This does not work in MSWord.  Any suggestions? ...

Word Perfect 65 Character Count With Spaces
Jan 24, 2010

In Word Perfect, to count characters, you click on properties, word count, and then do you just add up the top two things, Characters and Words, taking that total and dividing by 65?  They are paying 65 character lines including spaces and I cannot remember how to do this.  I have WPX4. Thank you kindly.  ...

Being A Word Based Platform, Can't We Use Character Count
Jun 09, 2012

;) ...

Line Count Issues With PractiCount And MS Word
Nov 12, 2012

I am having a problem with line counts. I am having a problem with PractiCount and even the line counting program in MS Word. I have a document that clearly is 37 lines by eye but both programs are counting it as 45, any ideas? Also, if someone could explain the difference between 55 character line and 65 character line??? Which is more popular with MTs? ...

Need Header/footer Help In MSWord
Feb 16, 2011

Header/footers is probably my weakest area in knowing Word.  Hopefully someone who understands them can help. On Page 1, I don't need a header. On subsequently pages, I need them numbered (page 2 of 2, or 2 of 3, etc.). On Page 1, I need a street address footer.  On the last page, I need a confidentiality disclaimer. Is this possible? ...

Need Line Count Program Compatible W/ MS Word 2007
Jan 10, 2012

I am looking for a line counting program that counts gross lines.  I used to use Abacus, but it no longer functions properly, and it seems that the company is out of business.  Can anyone recommend?  Needs to be MS Word 2007 compatible.  Thanks! ...

Comparing Line Counts In DQS And MSWord
Jun 08, 2010

Have been keep a comparison chart (DQS and MSWord) for line counts for some time....anyone else doing this? ...

Good Line Count Software Form MS Word 2000
Oct 31, 2009

Does anyone know of a good line count software form MS Word 2000 that you can count multiple files with? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

Anyone Use The "blue Background/white Text" Feature In MSWord '03?
Oct 22, 2009

I'm wanting to use this feature to reduce eyestrain but I'm afraid that my reports will upload to my client in this format. If I use the "blue background/white text" format, does this only show for me (on my PC only) or will it show when the document is opened by anyone?  I just want to make sure that when the client gets them, they're getting the traditional white/black document and not my blue one.  I'm not even sure if the client even opens them or if they just ...

Line Count - Is MTStars Flash Count And/or Abacus Equivocal
Feb 27, 2010

I usually use the line count built into the Word program itself.  Is MTStars flash count and/or abacus equivocal ??  Any one program better than the other ??  TIA ...

*bases* Hemoglobin 9.5, White Count 8.1, Platelet Count 208,000
Nov 08, 2012

On admission *bases* hemoglobin 9.5, white count 8.1, platelet count 208,000, and normal BUN and creatinine. Does this make sense? Should it be basis? This is under Laboratory Data for a Discharge Summary. ...

Does Count Score Mean Line Count In Fluency?
Sep 20, 2013

x ...

Line Count Software - Anyone Have MP Count?
Apr 01, 2010

Anyone have MP Count?  I used it a few years ago, but my computer crashed so I no longer have it.  I'm not sure if this IC job is gonna work out so I'm not wanting to buy a program at this point. Any advice? Thanks. ...

Character Count/line Count
Feb 23, 2011

Is this correct? I type 70,000 characters a day. I am paid by the 65 character line so I would divide 70,000 by 65 to get 1076, then multiple that by pay per line, say $.10 and get $107. If this is not correct then what is the formula? And what is the average number of lines per day? Thanks so much for the info. ...

How To Not Count Template In Line Count
Jun 25, 2012

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is the easiest way to not count template lines when trying to invoice? I get a line count through Word, but I hear that Word counts blank spaces as well.  I downloaded and use Flash Count, but it includes all 65 character lines, I beleive including the template headings.  I hope this makes sense.  Please help!! ...

Importing Bayscribe Word Expander Into Word 2010 Autocorrect
Jun 25, 2015

Is there a way to import or convert my Bayscribe word expander file (thousands of entries) into 2010 MS Word's autocorrect and/or dictionary?  Thank you. ...

Is It Possible To Upgrade Microsoft Word 2000 To Word 2003?
Jul 01, 2010

I have Microsoft Word 2003. Is it possible to upgrade it online to Word 2003? A company I worked for for a short time did it. If it's possible, can someone give me the link? I looked on Microsoft.com but don't see it. ...

In Microsoft Word, Is There A Way To Find A Particular Word In A Document? I Have 20 Pages And I Nee
Mar 01, 2011

. ...

Help Please!!!Changing Comma To Period, Capping Next Word....in Word
Nov 07, 2014

Is there a way in AutoCorrect (Word 2010) to change a comma to a period and then cap the next word to make VR go a little faster?  The platform at my old company did this automatically, but MS Word does not : ( This is so frustrating having to change from a comma to a period (or vice versa)--which as you all know happens constantly...and then change the next word to be capitalized (or uncapped)....my wrists are killing me, not to mention it takes so much TIME..... There HAS to be a better ...

Help, Please! Changing Comma To Period And Capping Next Word In MS Word....
Nov 08, 2014

Is it possible to do this in MS Word 2010?  I'm using AutoCorrect and there isn't a way to do it that I know of.  What do all of you doing VR do for the CONSTANT having to change a comma to a period and cap the next word easily?  Any suggestions would be SOOOOO very appreciated.  ...

Changing From Word 2000 To Word 2003
Oct 19, 2009

I will be changing from Word 2000 to Word 2003 and have a few questions.  I am not that great at figuring tech stuff out so hopefully someone will be able to help me.  Will changing from 2000 to 2003 affect anything on my computer at all, i.e., will all my other software work okay.  I rely on my PC Shorthand expander and my electronic Stedman's books, plus how about my Stedman's medical spellchecker, will they all work the same or do I need to do anything to make sure th ...

Longest Medical Word, Or Any Word Apparently
Jun 04, 2010

Just thought it was interesting.     pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis:   pneu⋅mo⋅no⋅ul⋅tra⋅mi⋅cro⋅scop⋅ic⋅sil⋅i⋅co⋅ vol⋅ca⋅no⋅co⋅ni⋅o⋅sis   // //  /ˈnumÉ™noʊˌÊŒltrəËŒmaɪkrəËŒskÉ’pɪkˈsɪlɪËŒkoÊŠvÉ’lËŒkeɪnoʊËŒkoÊŠniˈoÊŠsɪs, ˈnyu-/ Show Spelled Pronu ...

Fox Transcribe, Can Copy And Paste From Word To Word Pad?
Jun 25, 2012

Can anyone who works with Fox Transcribe tell me if you can copy and paste from word to word pad? Since word pad does not have spell check OR auto correct, I wondered about that. Thank you!  ...