A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dell Support Messed Up My Computer - Whatever

Posted: Aug 11, 2013

Last Tuesday, I was going to install McAfee Anti-Virus on my computer.  To do that, I first had to remove Microsoft Security Essentials from my computer.  I couldn't see Microsoft SE on the list of programs in Add/Remove, so I regrettably decided to call Dell support (I have a Dell computer.) 

So instead of simply removing Microsoft SE and installing McAfee (which should only take about 1 hour, if one is a technical expert), nothing was resolved.  Instead, my computer is now not functioning correctly.  He said I had infected files, and started removing things.  (I don't think I had anything infected because my computer was working fine before I let him have remote access and mess with it.)

Now when I turn on computer, instead of getting the normal screen, I get a black screen in which I have to press F1 first, I can't open Microsoft Word files, I can't open my DVD drive, and I can't open the EditScript platform that I use to do my MT job.  I've already missed 3 days' work because of Dell. 

I was seriously considering sueing them--$89 refund wouldn't be enough--but changed my mind.  That's because I have an old computer anyway--7 years--and it's probably good idea to get a new one regardless of Dell wreaking havoc on it.  Also, in terms of the financial loss of not being able to work for a while until the new computer arrives and I have everything installed, I thank Dell for teaching me 2 lessons:  1)  Never purchase Dell again, 2)  Never completely trust technical support, just because they're "professionals" who get paid for it.

Everyone at Dell support is obviously in India, by the way.  Just like MT jobs are going out to India, and U.S. MTs barely make enough to eat.

did you try system restore? - mtr

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Several Times - Whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I must have done a system restore on my computer 5 separate times. It's like the Dell people don't even know what they're doing. It's like they try this to fix it, and then it doesn't work, and they say to system restore. Then they try this (not having any real clue) and it fails, and they again say system restore. The first idiot who messed up my computer in the first place took about 5 hours accomplishing nothing but damage. After 5 hours, I had to go somewhere and I wouldn't be back until 2 days later when at noon I would have to get back to work. But because of him, Internet wassn't working at the time and EditScript wouldn't open. So he asked me to do a system restore, and it would all work when I return to work, and then he could continue fixing my computer afterwards. Well, the system restore didn't work in that I still couldn't open EditScript anymore. So I spent the whole day on my phone with Dell and they take hours and hours and accomplsih nothing. The following day, the same thing. Then the following day, the same. Perhaps you've heard the expression, "I haven't got all day!" Well, in this case I should say "I haven't got all days!" Yesterday, I said to another "technician" that I had doubt that she would fix my problem (since they've taken so long and it's obviously that the people who work there are incompetent), and that I expected the problem resolved by the end of the day or else lawsuit. So she stopped "trying to resolve" problem and said she'd give me a refund instead. (Does that mean that this "technician" knew she couldn't solve the problem, but was just going through the motions of looking like she's trying and thus wasting my time? Unbelievable!

Even if you buy a new compy, you might want to get that one fixed for - backup or to sell, whatever...

[ In Reply To ..]
Try getting your trouble ticket escalated to onshore. They actually have good tech support for their business customers, which is the onshore support. Unless you just don't want to waste any more time on it, which I can totally empathize with.
That's a Possibility - Whatever
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, I think I will call them again later (after I already have the new computer and have transferred all my files to the new computer). I will ask them to continue to resolve the problem they caused my old computer by uninstalling the operating system and reinstalling the operating system CD. (They suggested that already, but I don't have the operating system disk anymore, and they suggested I call tomorrow Monday to have the disk delivered to me--I assume they'll deliver it gratis.) I will wait to have to my files from my old computer transferred to my new computer, however, before I ask them to uninstall and reinstall the operating system on my old computer, since (who knows?) they may actually F**K up my files or lose them somehow unless I transfer the files to another computer first.
Suggest doing this - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You do not need to wait to get a new computer to transfer the files, nor should you. Put them on disks. You can then scan them for viruses before transferring them.

Once the files are on disks, reformat the hard drive on your old computer and reinstall the operating system.
I See - Whatever
[ In Reply To ..]
I think I just replied to another message of yours, and that's because I didn't see this one til now. Yes, transfer the files not directly from computer to computer but onto something separate such as a disc or external hard drive first, and then download onto new computer, right? And you suggest using discs to hold the files. I already have an external hard drive. So that would work too, correct?
Another suggestion and a bit easier than transferring to disk - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
Belkin has a file transfer cable that can be purchased for around $15 or so and you can transfer files from the old to new computer that way -- really easy. Another thing that I did was get a 32 GB flash drive and put things from my old computer onto the new computer that way as well. Just a suggestion.

BTDT, 10 years ago. Wasted hours and hours and hours with them - for an embarrassingly simple problem.

[ In Reply To ..]

Turned out all I needed to do was turn off ClearType font, but even after telling several techs I thought it was probably simply some "setting" that was causing my ghosting, fuzzy font, multiple Indian techs over several weeks had me uninstall and reinstall my video card, upgrade it and install a new one, etc., etc.  When I finally found out from a computer geek son of a friend of mine to check if I had ClearType font on (with a CRT monitor) and unchecking that totally resolved the problem, I complained vehemently by letter to Dell and also via Planetfeedback.com.  They actually responded, with an onshore support representative calling me, and sent me a free Kodak camera and dock for it for my troubles.  I doubt they'd probably even reply now, though, considering how bad their non-business tech support has continued to be over all these years, indicating they obviously don't really give a darn about their reputation in that regard.

I would actually buy a used Dell desktop, if I found a good deal on it, because I do think their older desktops are great workhorses (I don't think their laptops ever had a good reputation).  I'd never buy anything new from them now, though.

Dell Sucks! - Whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
No, I'm sure they would never offer anything now to compensate for their damage on my computer. In fact, a technician was trying to justify the havoc on my computer, saying that it's an old computer (as if the first technician who fiddled with it wasn't responsible). I said although I don't know anything about computer hardware, software and such, I am a logical person, and if my computer was working fine before Dell got a hold of it, then whatever the first "technician" did caused the problem. I asked that they give me the $249 value warranty service package for free, but they declined. (Since I've finally decided I'm getting a new computer and it won't be a Dell, that free $249 service package would be useless anyway.)

I don't know about new Dell desktops or laptops, but my Dell is almost 8 years old. In terms of Dell support, what support?

Do you still have the CDs that came with - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
your computer? You can reinstall all the original programs with the CDs that should have come with your computer if you still have them.

Don't Have Operating System Disk - Whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
I will get new computer. Then I'll have Dell uninstall and reinstall operating systems in old computer after I transfer all my files to the new computer. I expect them to send me operating disk.

Suggestion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are having trouble like that with this computer, I wouldn't be transferring any files from it to the new one. That is just asking for trouble.

With the next computer you get, keep the operating system disks in a safe place so you can bail yourself out of problems like this.

Incidentally, the fact that your old computer was working did not preclude viral infection.

Meaning of "Files" - Whatever
[ In Reply To ..]
You said you would not transfer files from problematic old computer to new computer. Perhaps "files" is not the right word, or is it? I'm not at all a computer tech and that includes lingo, but I want to make it clear that by "files", I mean nothing in the hardware or software, but stuff like photos and writing documents and ebooks I previously purchased. Now, why wouldn't I save all of that to an external hard drive and then "transfer" that onto the new computer?

Dell Support - Dell computer owner

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel your pain, the standard Indian support is no @*&! good whatsoever. However, if you purchase the upgraded tech support, the techs are Americans and they are wonderful. I would contact Customer support if I were you, and tell them what happened. For $89 you should have gotten the good tech support because that is about what it costs for a year's support.

Ridiculous Non-Support - Whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
It's too late now. Nobody can help my computer. I spent 4 whole days with them, with about 6 so-called technicians accomplishing nothing. (Not to mention it's the first "technician" who messed up my computer.) If it weren't for the fact that my computer is old anyway (7 years), I'd sue Dell. However, I'm fine with a refund, which they did give me. (Actually, it's like $249 for a year's support. $89 is considered a one-time incident cost. Crazy!) Incidientally, Dell called me to follow up 3 separate times. They called me last week to ask if my issue was resolved and if my compuer is fine, and I said absolutely not, they messed it up, and I have to get a new one now. Then they call me again one week later and ask me the same thing, is my computer fine? Now, this pissed me off for I was relaxing in bed when they called (rather be lazy and accomplish nothing than deal with them and accomplish nothing). Then, on the same day about 30 minutes later, Dell calls and asks me the same thing (third time to "follow up"). Wanted to know if my computer is fine. I asked why does Dell call to follow up with me 3 times, even after I told them they F***ed up my computer and they ask if it's fine? Well, he explained that he's calling from a different Dell department.

Sucks No Matter What - Whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, why should there be an upgraded tech support with all Americans? Does that mean that Dell knows that their outsourced support is substandard? Do they get less training or something? I must add, however, that I disagree with you that their upgraded support is wonderful. Because I was threatening to sue Dell, the manager said that because I used my computer for business, I should get their "premium" support, and so I think I was in fact transferred to an American for a couple of minutes, and he was rude and transferred me back when I raised my voice because I was getting frustrated and pissed off.

Similar Messages:

What??!! DQS Messed Up Yet AGAIN???
Jul 14, 2010

ADT, DQM, DQS all in limbo ...

QA Messed Me Up Bad And I'm Mad
Sep 30, 2012

Dictator said "LFTs:  ALT and AST" or "LFTs:  AST and ALT" are blahblah respectively.  My stupid QA filled in my blank (didnt want to have them backwards) with HEMOGLOBIN AND HEMATOCRIT. What an IDIOT.  And, to ding me on it?  I'm not tolerating this crap. I'm not stupid but obviously my QA is.  Can someone tell me how to tell which QA did this stupidity? ...

Paycheck Messed Up
Sep 24, 2010

Got paid through direct deposit yesterday and was only paid for PTO and not the actual lines I typed.  My paycheck should have been for over 600 dollars but was only 113 dollars.  Did this happen to anyone else? ...

Is Teamwork Messed Up?
Sep 01, 2011

or have they fired me and I just don't know it yet?  I was needing to clock out to take a break. ...

Seriously, If We Messed Up Records Like
Jul 12, 2012

we would have our pay cut 3 cpl or be fired. What a joke. "Please bear with us as we work through this...." ...

Pre-edited Test But Really Messed Up
Feb 04, 2010

Hello All, Hoping someone can help me figure out what happened with this job.  I received a STAT job from my main account, it had clearly been done by someone else, but it was so screwed up, it took me almost 25 minutes to redo 352 secs of dictation.  The sound was no longer in sync with dictation, punctuation was confusing, headings were wrong and not in place with dictation.  I have whole paragraphs in the transcription that I do not hear anywhere in the dictation.  Anyon ...

Line Count Messed Up
May 24, 2010

Why is 5/24/2010 showing up twice on my monthly totals and when I run detail on this it is showing less jobs?  Called tech support and they dont know.  I'm sure I'm going to get ripped off of lines.  I did take a picture of my computer screen showing this error so if my paycheck is wrong I have evidence.  Is this happening to anyone else? ...

Dell Keyboards
Oct 12, 2009

Is it true that the letters on the Dell keyboards never wear off? ...

Do You Use A Dell Laptop
Dec 26, 2011

I would like to buy a new dell laptop to use to work on transcription because I have to travel across country and I need Dell brand because I have a Dell credit card that I can use to purchase it with.  Do any other MTs/QA use a dell laptop that you like and if so, which one is it.  If I can find one that another MT is using and likes, I'll order one.  Thanks ...

Dell Or Defect
Aug 13, 2012

"Patient has no obvious dell or defect in the Achilles." She is being seen for Achilles tendinitis. Is the word "dell?" I wondered if he meant "vale," as in "valley," but there is a definite hard "D" sound to the word. Googling "dell" only gets me computer links :{ ...

Did You Guys Know Dell, Inc Was Into Transcription
Jul 23, 2010

At first, I thought it was just a company named Dell, but then was redirected to the Dell website. ...

New MQ Dell Keyboard Woes
Dec 13, 2011

Has anyone been successful in using an adapter to hook up their old keyboard to their new MQ Dell computer?  I hate the low-profile Dell USB keyboard they sent me and all of my other keyboards have PS2 connectors.  After being unsuccessful at going out shopping to try to buy a new USB keyboard with a higher profile, I purchased an adapter to convert a PS2 keyboard to a USB port hook-up but it does not recognize the keyboard.  Just wondering if anyone else ...

Accidently Erased My Draft, Now Audio Messed Up
Jun 02, 2012

I must have accidently hit Ctrl+A then space and erased my report. I was able to undo it and get the draft back, but now the sync is all mesesd up and I keep jumping to the end of the report every time I have to pause/restart dictation. Is there anyway to correct this? I work in DQS 6.1 btw. ...

Need Suggestions On Dell Laptops For Work
Apr 25, 2012

I am finally going to do it.   My desktop is ancient and I am starting a new job and figured I would go for it and get a laptop for work since I need a computer anyway.  I prefer Dell as I am familiar with them and have had no problems.   Any suggestions on what works well for our line of work?  TIA!!!! ...

Dell Laptop And Transcription Foot Pedal
Aug 10, 2011

I just bought a new Dell laptop.  I had to do a few upgrades to make my transcription program operable.  Now that is out of the way and I have run into a problem with my footpedal.  It fits, but does not operate, even when I switch the foot pedal settings to USB, COM 1 or COM 2.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  This is the foot pedal I had been using for my desk top.  I am assuming another foot pedal works for the Dell laptop.  ...

New Dell Desk Top/Infinity Foot Pedal
Sep 21, 2012

Good morning! I've been a transcriptionist for 18 years and this will be my first question.  I just got a a new PC two days ago.  However, my foot pedal (which operates fine on my laptop) won't work.  I have jobs in my work queu that I can't get to because the pedal won't play them.  The computer seemes to recognize the pedal and said it installed drivers but it just doesn't operate even after three reboots.  I have Windows 7.   Is this pro ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Scrotal Support S/l Support "T"
Feb 13, 2012

For surgical scrotal support, doctor says " a scrotal supportee was left in place."  I have googled this, looked in Stedmans GI/GU, surgical and equipment books.  Cannot find.    I would like to think scrotal supporting, but she definitely says "a".  Has anyone heard of this? Thanks.  ...

Podiatry: Unable To Palpate A S/l "dell". Nm
May 03, 2011

nm ...

Mt No More Looking For Support Somewhere
Dec 13, 2009

I have been out of MTing for about 1.5 years now mainly because of lack of cash flow and work issues....haha..i am working for a local hospital in the laundry area..which i completely and utterly HATE... i am having difficulties with my coworkers and being used to working alone..i tend to say what i am thinking out loud rude or not at times and it is getting me in trouble not a lot but enough...all the chit chat about one another and gossiping is driving me insane...i do see that there aren' ...

Question About Support
Jan 13, 2010

In the process of "the merge," I spent more than 2 hours on the phone with 2 support guys and one advanced support guy, before they could figure out what the problem was.  This was unreimbursed time in the evening - MY time. The guy I walked with before the advanced support guy, who was logged on to my computer (MY computer, not MQ's) asked me for my password.  This guy was snippy and sarcastic, and I wasn't happy giving him my password, but since I needed the ...

No Family Support
Mar 29, 2010

I was all set to just quit MQ this past weekend, I had just had enough, even though I don't have another job yet, but am finishing my courses, which I am almost done with.  But my husband got upset about being the only breadwinner and dipping into the savings.  I can't get him to understand what I have to go through.  I keep hoping they will just fire me or lay me off so I can get unemployment, but so far nothing, even though I'm certainly not turning in the work I ...

Tech Support And The MT
May 12, 2010

Ok I have a question for any of you who have been in the field for a while or even new to the field like myself. I have just finished training recently and I have been searching for a job and I was offered a contract postion at a decent little company(*Name withheld) which I am in the process of considering, however I am hearing that this company is thinking of not offering full time tech support and expecting me to install and configure my own software and if I have a problem with my install th ...

S/l Trock Support - Sm
May 26, 2010

Patient with congestive heart failure - IM _____ (s/l like trock) support with dobutamine. ...

I Am Scared I Won't Be Able To Support Myself...
Sep 14, 2010

as an MT with only my income. I live at a place where I don't have to pay any household bills right now. But I want to move out. It's not a good place for me to be living. I plan to get an apartment in about 5 months. I am just scared I won't be able to support myself. i can get an apartment for about $400 to 700 dollars. Along with groceries, cable/internet, and utilities, I'm just unsure. I guess I'm looking for advice/reasurance from MTs who support themselves ...

Softscript Support
Jan 25, 2011

Some accounts freeze the SS client when using the cc: search, what the heck do you do since others go right into the cc: list with no freezing, no problem.....................  ...

NDI Support? Please See Message....
Apr 28, 2011

In review of systems, the doc is saying:  His s/l NDI support today is 12, his stress-free disability index is 8.   TIA ...

Does Anyone Know If Mt Support Is Still In Existence? NM
Dec 21, 2011

I have a feeling the ticket system took its place?? ...