A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

escription - my main account has become worse - VR get worse by the day

Posted: Aug 22, 2012

I am wondering why in the past 2 months or so the VR on my main account has become worse than when the drs were first VR.  I am finding myself typing more than 50% of the supposed VR instead of just editing it and dropping my paycheck even further.  This is very frustrating when you are stuck on a VR for triple the time or more of the actual audio time.  I proposed this question to upper management and their response was that they have no idea why this is happening, but they are seeing this as well.  Really...so just continue to pay us a small amount to type everything up b/c if you request for it to be paid for standard line counts, your request is routinely denied.   Not only is the VR crap, but I have also noticed that the audio quality has become more and more, well crap, as well.  I remember when I first started with VR and I was told not to worry about the lower line rate for VR b/c you will get so much more work done and actually make more money.  Over the years, this has become worse and while I never made more money working with VR, I certainly am not now.  Wasn't this all to make our job more efficient, instead its taking more time.    

VR isnt made for all the different ppl that are on it. Different - speakers, changing all the time, different MTs SM

[ In Reply To ..]
changing often, different editors. If everybody did their job exactly the same way, yeah, VR would work. But too many cooks, too many different ways of doing things, adds up to bad VR. The developers had to know VR would not work with multiple uses and the suits only hear "save money" and WE are the ones stuck with the garbage.

I will tell you why -- OVER-EDITING. That is why. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
We change it, then QC gets their hands on it and they CHANGE it and then QA gets in on the act and they change it.

Too many people, changing too much stuff = messed up VR.

QA/QC needs to back-off the non-essential changes, like the, a, an, commas, etc.

My opinion it is too many ppl, period. Starting with too many - different speakers, different accents, different

[ In Reply To ..]
speed of talking, different pronunciations, etc. It is a much more pervasive problem than just editors.

I didn't just pull that out of the air. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The people who develop the programs say it themselves, DO NOT OVER-EDIT VR. This is not to say don't gross errors but leave things that are irrelevant alone.

As to too many speakers, it is designed for lots of speakers. It trains to each INDIVIDUAL speaker.

I am telling you it is simple, OVER-EDITING.
Disagree. No way it can do 100s of speakers that change. Teaching - hospitals have speakers that change SM
[ In Reply To ..]
what, yearly? You drank the kool-aid if you buy that VR can do what the people SELLING it says it can do. It is so much more than just an editor problem. You are leaving out the majority of ppl who use it by saying it is just editors. If it was just editors, get rid of editors and then the jobs would be perfect, facility ready when MT is done with it because, according to you, the only problem with VR is the editors. Guess we know how your audit went.
I said don't over-edit, not don't edit at all. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I am very tired of the whole Kool-Aid comment, it's old.

Read the original post one more time.

The VR is GOOD at first and THEN later after it is OVER-EDITED is when it goes to heck.

This is a very simple concept. You cannot even state a FACT and people get all over the top about it.

It does NOT moosh all of the speakers together to train the VR, that is just insane to think that (no kool-aid needed). It trains INDIVIDUALLY FOR EACH SPEAKER. No kool-aid, just technology. Is it perfect, duh, no, but that does not change FACTS.

The biggest problem is over-editing, good lord do some research on this.

Or later on, after 100s more ppl have been dinking around - with it? It is more than just editor problem.nm
[ In Reply To ..]
just sayin'
OMG, is it just to be contradictory? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you want VR to get better?

The first step and frankly, THE ONLY Step we have any power to CHANGE as MTs, is to champion the concept of not over-editing. How on earth is that offensive to you!!!!!

MTs power to change - if QA/QC would get on board too..
[ In Reply To ..]
Sure we have the power to not over edit, well not really now b/c most of it needs retyped now, but even when we don't over edit, our QA scores drop w/ QA coming in behind us and adding and changing. This has seriously had an impact on strict verbat accounts that used to be good and now are dirt poor. I had a few drs today that when they used to say p.o., VR put in p.o. Now the VR puts in orally and I have to change it back to p.o. b/c if I don't, I am nailed on my QA. That is at least a point off. It would work if we were allowed to let the system really work and if that would ever happen, maybe it would actually make us some good money, but I doubt that since I can still type a dictation up quicker than what I can edit it.
Over editing - Nuance MT
[ In Reply To ..]
We had always been told not to over edit, but then we were told that "every word counts." I was marked off by QA for not changing a direct quote to "haven't" when ISR had typed "have not." That picky QA and our bonus hinging on a 99% QA score is what causes/motivates MTs to "over edit."

It also does not help us at all to have Indian MTs editing the same accounts as I believe they introduce many of the errors to VR. I have seen the quality of their work on my accounts and it is just scary. My previous STM even stated that the quality of work by the Indian MTs was not good and they had to watch them carefully. I don't understand why you would continue to let the Indian MTs on the accounts if you know that, but then again I don't understand anything this company does.
Why continue with bad Indian MTs? Repeat after me: Money. - Less money to Indian MTs SM
[ In Reply To ..]
It is cheaper to have OS, who are paid below low, and then us a few cpl to edit. Saves money over just having US MTs do to begin with.

I am hoping as our wages stay low and only the mediocre MTs continue, suits will realize they have hit rock bottom as far as MT pay goes and they will be forced to start the slow climb upward.
Bingo - QA/QC pushes us to over-edit - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I completely agree with you.

They think the "every word counts" is the key to "fixing" VR. However, they couldn't be more wrong. Who is advising them on this stuff? They need to fire this person and find someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Do you think they let the Indian MTs "train" the VR? If I were the MTSO I would sort their reports out of the equation.

They tell us "don't over-edit", but you know what we - face if we leave out just one comma... sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Death By Nit-Picking!

Editors just do what they are told. Edit how they are told - to edit. Management sets the rules. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:(

Then mgmt needs to have a meeting with the software developers. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Mgmt clearly does not understand how VR works, which makes no sense unless the software side of Nuance and the MT side are run by people who have ZERO communication with each other.

Why can't we have communication with the - software developers?
[ In Reply To ..]
So we can understand how VR is designed to be edited. I feel like I am beating a dead horse, we need more training in how to edit. Posters above are right, too many new people, too many ways of doing things, too much overediting. Why can't we get some answers? Mgmt just gets in the ways and makes everything harder.
Of course mgment has no idea how VR works. And how many mgment are - MTs so they could have an idea SM
[ In Reply To ..]
of what is needed to do our job? Somebody go the idea this could work, and in theory, and in closely controlled environments, it should work. But developers never bothered to find out how MT is even done and all suits hear is "save money."

And dont expect any changes anytime soon. Do you have any idea how many millions suits will spend when they hear "save money"? So many millions that changing or getting rid of VR is not on option. They drank the kool-aid and we have to deal with the bodies.
That's one of the major downsides of not promoting - from the ranks, but instead, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
bringing in generic, management-only people to run things. Pretty soon, you end up with a whole board room full of people who can make a pretty spread sheet, but don't have the slightest clue how the information they're looking at came to be.

Heaven forbid they actually go "slumming" by getting MT input on anything. All that extra effort to do their jobs better might cause them to wrinkle their precious suits.
I think first management needs to have a meeting with the - MTs. Then the developers. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
??

When you say editing, do you mean the job MTs do of - processing the job or do you mean SM

[ In Reply To ..]
the qa review done of the documents that the MTs have processed? MT editing VR or qa editing MT?

I mean excessive and unnecessary changes by anyone. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
VR is learning from every report that gets edited, correct?

So you have 100s of different MTs editing these reports and, being that we are human and our skills are not all at the same level, we each do things a wee bit differently. I suspect this is the biggest problem with VR "learning."

Obviously the docs are an uncontrollable entity in the whole VR process, but there are things the MTSO could do to enhance VR and make us more productive.

The first, and biggest, change should be universal formatting. No more of these little idiosyncrasies from account to account. THEY SHOULD ALL BE THE SAME FORMAT. This way an MT would not be trying to "remember" acct. specs from 2 or 3 different accounts and getting it wrong (I know I do it from time to time). It would eliminate a huge number of errors and VR would also be much more effective at learning.

In addition, the only changes that should be made are to fix actual errors and tweak grammar when necessary. Stop the over-editing. Some people (QA/QC) think they aren't doing anything if the report isn't covered in red ink.

Adding or altering insignificant words like a, an, is, was, were, the, etc., serves only to penalize the MT and to confuse the VR. It does not change meaning nor impact patient care and should be left alone.

Simple, simple changes. It boggles the mind that they are not being done.

Ok, gotcha. Was confused about terminology. Thought - you meant just the qa review ppl. I agree. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I agree, ASR numbering drives me crazy - SeaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems to me every time there is tweaking of the system by Tech Department the ISR loses its mind and goes crazy.

My pet peeve is the numbering of diagnoses and meds...it absolutely is faster for me to ignore/cancel the machine's numbering and re-do it myself.

This is especially aggravating when there are 15-20 diagnoses, and 15 or more meds. I wish they would stop the auto-numbering altogether.

JUST LEAVE THEM IN A STRING, it's eaasier to separate them with Ctrl-Shift-L (list feature) and go that route. I'm sick of taking out extra periods, meds 2 take 4 headache, diabetes type. 2. And when it *skips* a diagnosis or medication, having to change all the numbers following.

Have a great day everyone!!!

I think the 'too many people' answer is probably it. - Ive noticed when Im working on it - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
that if it's late at night, and only 1 or 2 of us is on that account, and we're caught up enough that we're editing shortly after the doctor dictates the report, that it does start to 'learn' and start putting in the corrections we've been making.

Unfortunately, by the next day, when everyone else gets on the system, both from the dictating end and the transcription end, it all goes to *ell again.

I think VR wasn't designed to have multiple users on ONE station or system, and multiple editors. All that just defeats the purpose. Add to that the fact that it's often harder to edit what you hear when you're looking at the text (even if the text is wrong) than it is to just type the report manually, and there is no way VR editors are being paid anywhere NEAR what they should be. VR editing should pay MORE than straight transcription.

Similar Messages:

Virtually No Work, Main Account
Dec 31, 2012

and while we were Transcend, it was so busy we worked OT to keep up.  Now am lucky if I have consistent work.  I am so sick of this.  ...

Escription 9.80 - Anyone Else Notice That It's Worse
May 08, 2013

I'm doing multiple edits on almost every line since we switched to 9.80 - and the mistakes it's making I've never seen before.  I mean, it was never great but now its really lousy.  It's like it forgot whatever little that it ever "knew" - and now I get really dumb errors, lots of words clearly spoken that are omitted, formatting errors - and the punctuation is a nightmare. It's really cut my production significantly. What say you? ...

Just Heard EPIC Is Now Being Trained At My Main Account
Aug 16, 2010

Does not surprise me.. the Canned reports featured in EPIC I am sure will take over to completely do away transcriptionists.  Clearly healthcare is okay with homogenous reports that really are not particular to the patient, just trying to stay within the slimmest margin of the law.  It's like legal liability insurance...the bare minimum required. ...

Most Of The Dictating Doctors This Week In My Main Account Have
Jan 14, 2011

Always makes me wonder about a hospital when one doctor gets sick with a cold, and then the rest of them get sick. That doesn't happen in every hospital. Their hoarse voices are screwing up ASR extra and their hoarse voices hurt my ears! ...

Silent Type Big Main Account Is Being Transitioned To VR
Mar 25, 2014

Does anyone know if the big main account is being transitioned to VR, and if so, has anyone on this account been invited to move to VR?  ...

Notified Of Meeting This Week To Go Over All Major Errors For Our Main Account
Aug 04, 2013

Got email stating conference call this week for all of our "errors" we are making - what fun!! ...

Landmark Escription Account?
Mar 12, 2013

Anyone out there work on a Landmark escription account? Can you tell me what your experience is like...enough work, CPL? I was thinking of applying, but want to know if it's worth my time. TIA. ...

Escription TTSers. Have A Question About A Certain Account
Jan 17, 2013

e-mail we got yesterday about the account that starts with "B". I'd rather not ask the company in a reply mail about it.  So if someone could message me, I'd appreciate it. I'm rather confused on the issue and I don't want another condescending e-mail from certain parties that work there.   Thanks! ...

Wow, These Companies Are Getting Worse And Worse Regarding Testing...sm
Sep 01, 2010

This company's written test says that I can't use any references, but based on the questions they're asking, I'd have to be a doctor to be able to answer them!  So am I to assume that I can't use references when I work either?  So sick of jumping through hoops for these companies... ...

The Audio Seems Like It Is Getting Worse And Worse
Dec 03, 2013

on Fluency.   I have had problems with it all day.   ...

Moved To Main
May 27, 2011

.  ...

OOW Main Acct
Feb 27, 2015

Something is seriously wrong. I am very rarely OOW on my main acct, especially on Friday nights.  Had no work in there all afternoon, now 2 reports and it looks like there are some people who are getting jobs.  Either work is very sparse or too many people are in my account flexing from earlier in the week. ...

S/l Sharp Main Carina Sm
Oct 23, 2009

Bronchoscopy procedure note - After induction of general anesthesia, the patient had an endotracheal tube placed. Normal trachea and *s/l sharp main* carina.  Normal right and left bronchial tree. ...

Mean Or Main Cubital Fossa
Feb 24, 2010

nm ...

Would One Of You Coders Go Over To The Main Board
Dec 23, 2011

There is a poster there who is posting blatantly wrong information about coding. Someone needs to post the correct information. I corrected one of the errors, but someone with more experience could probably do a better job of providing the facts. ...

I Just Saw An Ad On The Main Page For Coding By -
Sep 22, 2012

have something called "CAC",  (Computer-Assisted Coding".)  Automation aside, just the fact that M*Modal is getting it's dirtly little hands into coding doesn't bode well for the field.  ...

Oh Wow That Whole Big Thread On The Main Board
Jan 30, 2013

Now if we could just get rid of the one below! ...

Came Back To Check On This And Main
Sep 04, 2013

And found I still need my hip boots on for all the cr** that's on here. Never seen a more depressing, hateful, self pitying bunch of people in my life.  ...

There Is A Message On The Main Board Here Sm
May 21, 2015

with a link to the Dept of Labor.  I encourage all of you to go check it out and write to them if you feel moved to do so.  Maybe if they get enough inquiries about this company, someone will take a look at them.  All I want to know, bottom line, is if they can legally do this, meaning cutting our line rate in half and our produced lines in half and then further reduction for what they deem as quality issues (which is very subjective in the best case scenario).  It would be n ...

On Main Board There Is A Thread Scaring Me
Dec 12, 2011

On the main board there is a message titled "Gotta Vent" and the following replies regarding coding have made me sick to my stomach, especially because a couple people stated seeing their coding departments wiped out by the EMR systems. Could someone shed some light on this?  I am in a coding class now and I am not feeling so hot....but be honest. Thank you!  ...

Do You Leave In Unused Main And Subheadings?
Aug 21, 2012

We recently had a new account start and the doctors often do not dictate all the main headings of the template that loads.   The hospital keeps changing their mind as to keep it unused main heading in versus take it out if not dictated.   Typically, I have always removed it if it was not dictated.  But what do most of you do?  Thanks for sharing your experience. ...

Please Go To Main Board. Read Post RE EMR. NM.
Aug 11, 2014

XX ...

All Main Board Posts Deleted??
May 13, 2015

Why have all the messages on the Main Board been "deleted by author"?? ...

Transcend Apology On Main Board From Management
May 21, 2010

I recognize the name used - it is by someone in upper management. At least she is using her real name - maybe she had second thoughts of using Hawkeye - LOL. ...

Coding Question Du Jour - Main Terms
Feb 23, 2012

What is going on with those main terms?  My coding textbook keeps wanting me to identify the main term, but I can't figure out which one it is.  If you can find something under three different words in the Alphabetic Index, how do you know which is the main term?  The one I choose is never the one the book says is right! This is frustrating.  Does this mean I am not cut out to be a coder? ...

Check Out Q Email. New Thing On The Main Page Sm
May 28, 2012

and of course can't get into mail.  Not sure what is going on now! ...

See Post On Main Board About EPIC Clientele.
Mar 02, 2014

This is quite the eye opener and may explain why a lot of us are running out of work. Part of the problem is the complete mismanagement by TSMs and COMs, but the overall issue may be that EPIC is growing by leaps and bounds. It does not bode well for us MLSs. ...

Wage Theft, Post On Main Board.
Sep 02, 2014

I read with interest the article contained in the post on the main board because it occurred to me that this is the only industry I know where as an employee, for most companies today, Nuance not excepted, you accept a job and then you, the employee, provide your own equipment, you pay the expense to have your computer repaired and when it is down you are not paid for the downtime, you pay your ISP internet charges (which can be costly if you are running extra turbo charged service to meet minim ...

Check Out Posts On Main Board And MModal
Nov 14, 2014

entitled "A little help from a friend" singing the praises of Nuance and how "you will love it here" and "don't believe what you read, we're all trolls."  Trying hard to get that referral bonus! ...

I Am So Sick Of Bouncing Around From Account To Account
Nov 07, 2012

What a flippin joke. Didnt Amy say she was going to keep us in 1 account????   OMG, I have done evey account in my BOB this morning as well as some other Bob. I cant keep my head on straight anymore. It is spinning like a top. My production is down to minimum and I am at risk of being fired for not meeting production because some idiot decides to open the cesspool!   GO CCMs! GET YOUR 100% TAT... SCREW THE REST OF US. ...