A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

UNEMPLOYMENT - ACCEPTED OR DENIED?? - LDA

Posted: Feb 22, 2015

(forgive me for posting this twice, but I am new here and I wanted it at the beginning of Nuance posts but somehow it ended up in the middle of an ongoing discussion - so I am attempting to repost here. )

Does anyone know the answer to this?? Our hospital is going with Nuance. We are being pressured to make a decision by this week as to whether we go with Nuance or accept the unemployment. Here is our question... I hope a few people answer this!!! Do ANY of you know anyone who did not accept Nuances offer of employment and was then denied U/E benefits based on the fact that they "refused full time employment"??? We are afraid that is a loop-hole and those of us who do not go with Nuance will not be able to collect. Thanks!! 

No win situation .. - Nobody

[ In Reply To ..]
Your situation sounds really confusing. I know nothing of Nuance but the way I see it, any which way you look at it, you are going to get screwed out of something. The hospital I worked for paid me almost $20 an hour to work from home with complete benefits and retirement income. Worked there for 7 years. Then they brought in a new HIMS director who decided to phase out the hospital's transcriptionists as they retire, etc. I took retirement and left with a check for $20,000. This new director hired Athreon to pick up the slack and I have no doubt those people make the same old national 7 cents a line with nothing close to the benefits we as hospital transcriptionists were making. These days all I can say is that it is a "no win" situation any way you look at it.

What they are offering is not at all a "comparable" position. - Despite their claims...

[ In Reply To ..]
If you even survive long enough to understand their convoluted pay matrix, you will likely not even earn minimum wage and will be drawing "makeup pay" while you get up to speed. A couple weeks of this and they'll start pressuring you about it. Make screen shots of alot of posts on this board describing working conditions here, the accusations of wage theft, etc. I think you are more likely to lose your ability to provide for yourself by coming to Nuance!

Call your local unemployment office - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Call the local unemployment office and explain the situation immediately.

When my husbands company shut down, the unemployment people came and gave a presentation to the workers and went over the benefits regarding retraining, placement, explained unemployment.

If you cannot get someone to come and talk to your group, at least discuss your concerns individually. I would explain that others have had very poor experiences with the company and may experience a significant salary decrease eventually.

They should let you know your options. Make sure you are talking to someone who is a qualified counselor (ask them how long they have been working with unemployment issues).

Good luck to you.

unemployment - closetbird

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with sm, no matter WHAT, always go down to unemployment in person and state your situation to find out for yourself. No matter how much we want to help each other, there is no substitution for getting the facts.

You are in a tough spot. If you refuse the offer - unfortunately no unemployment

[ In Reply To ..]
You are not being laid off, as you have offer of other employment. It doesn't matter that the pay may be less. The hospital and Nuance both know this and count on it to "encourage" you to take their deal.

Do you know this from personal experience - or is this a guess?

[ In Reply To ..]
I have read on here where some were able to get UE as, even though it is employment, it is a completely different job which you should not be forced to accept.

When my company was bought out I was kind of a sucker and never looked into anything, but knowing now as I do how much worse things are post buyout, there should be some other alternative as it is like you are being told to accept half your salary and terrible conditions or else.

I have read on the MModal board of MTs getting TAA help - Trade Adjustment Assistance - which helps in retraining since our jobs are affected by offshoring. That would be another thing to look into, not sure how you get eligibility for that.

I would definitely do anything BUT take the Nuance job if you can.

TAA see link - MModalMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct about the unemployment, at least in my state, you cannot be forced to take a job that pays less. I agree that the OP should check for the facts in her state. My state has no local offices anymore, it is all done online now, so she may have to call or email the state office website for facts. I have enclosed the link to the TAA government FAQ page to help the OP get started on a petition. MM had one for a few years as it was extended several times. The FAQ page has some good information and I would encourage the OP and her fellow employees to file a petition asap so they can go to school and collect unemployment. They offer a lot of benefits depending on the situation such as travel expenses etc.

[ In Reply To ..]
In NY you do not have to take a job offer making less money. That said, Nuance and our hospital signed a contract saying they would pay us our normal salary for six weeks and then we would go on Nuances pay scale which is less. I think, but I don't know for a fact, that people going with Nuance to get that extra six weeks screw themselves as far as unemployment because they knew and agree to that deal. I think most of our people are taking the severance package and then going with unemployment to give themselves more time. Unfortunately there are all those hidden details that people who are panicking about their paycheck do not think about. I guess you have to think "sneaky" to save yourself.

I do not think that is true - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
It does matter if the pay is less, a person has the right to turn down a job offer if there is a big discrepancy in pay, or draw partial unemployment and U think that is true in almost every state. Not only is this a layoff, it is also job elimination through outsourcing and I know for a fact that employees qualify for job retraining because I went through it with several coworkers. The hospital may be encouraging people to take the "deal" but that is so they don't have to pony up the unemployment benefits. The hospital washed their hands of these MTs, they cannot be forced to take jobs they don't want.

Not true. Not true at all. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
You are generalizing way too much. Many different factors at play. The poster won't know for sure unless they apply for unemployment.

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually I think there is a difference between being laid off and being outsourced. Laid off means there is a chance they will call you back. Outsourced is a total elimination of a job position. In any event, I would make sure I called my local unemployment office to check.

I refused, got unemployment, sm - CheckForYourself

[ In Reply To ..]
I even got a $5000 scholarship through the WIA/trade act to go back to school and did not have to look for a job while I was in school. I got this because there were no transcription jobs in my area and because Nuance sends work overseas. Check with your local unemployment before you make a decision. If your whole hospital was being taken over by another, that is one thing; however, just your job is being outsourced so you cannot be forced to take a job, at least in my state anyway, Northeast state.

This is what I think - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
You cannot be forced to accept a job you do not want to take, that's like selling people into slavery. I think this is considered a layoff; hence you are entitled to unemployment compensation. If you take the job with Nuance and the pay is considerably less, you can collect partial UE. If your old job is eliminated as the result of outsourcing, you are eligible for worker retraining. I don't work for Nuance but went through a layoff and those are the things I learned. My advice would be to try and find another position within your current organization or do something else. I'm hanging tough in a transcription related job for a couple more years until I can retire but I personally would not take another transcription job. My opinion is that it's a dead end. If they refuse to let you file a UE claim, by all means appeal it.

Is there a reason you can give for - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
Is there a possible reason you can give for not taking the Nuance job, like you don't have a computer, you don't have electricity at your house, you don't have cable access.

This really sucks that you are in this position and are forced to go to work with a company that is not able to guarantee you a certain hourly rate, or even certain hours per week, I guess they will say that the account they are taking over has enough hours on it, that's for now until they hire 20 more people for doing the same job you already have just so they can be sure they have coverage and your hours will go down to 16 per week more than likely like everyone else. How many peoples lives has Nuance ruined already. They come in with this big off for the hospital and you the MT are just swept under the carpet and not cared about at all. By the way, if you type a comma in the wrong spot, put and or or or but when they don't think it should be there you get your pay knocked down. You will not like working here, This company sucks. Sorry for your position. The hospital doesn't have any idea how bad this company is. Yea they are saving money and space and the MT is getting nothing in return.

check at your UE office if you have one - every state is different

[ In Reply To ..]
there are many variables. if you were not working at home with your current job, then I would think that would be a legitimate reason for not accepting the job. For one reason or the other you may not be able to or desire to work at home. If the Nuance job is not exactly similar to your old job, maybe you could take UE.

Your old job would be paying your UE so they would want to encourage you to go with Nuance. See if your old job can offer you a similar job or a job you think you would like with similar pay and benefits. They may want to retain a few MTs for STAT or radiology, etc. When you go to or talk to UE be sure to mention the subject of benefits. I doubt N can match the benefits you are enjoying at your current hospital job.

Also, if your current job is paying hourly, the N will be paying you on a production basis and that could be an arguing point. definitely try for unemployment. Good luck.

Thanks so much! - LDA

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for your input, everyone!!! At a time like this I put my trust in my comrades, not BIG BUSINESS!! Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated. Keep them coming please. I am passing this information onto my coworkers.

I know some who did get UE - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to apply and get the ball rolling. You may very well be eligible. So many factors involved, no one here can answer that for you one way or another.

Same situation here... - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The same exact situation happened to my hospital's transcription department late last year. We were all offered jobs by the Nuance team who were at the hospital in their black business suits ready to pounce right after they "laid-off" over 20 of us. We were also told by our HR Department that day, "We will not contest unemployment."

No one went with Nuance and we all received and are still receiving unemployment; however, the hospital REFUSED to give us severance pay because they said, "We offered you a job with Nuance." Hah! Nuance offered us a job, NOT THE HOSPITAL! Regardless, not one of us has had regrets about not going with Nuance.

Similar Messages:

Denied!!!
Mar 20, 2014

Good luck to those of you accepted to the program.  I did not make it - my A and P score was too low compared to others (had an 82).  I did think my coding certificate would help make up for my low score.  Best wishes, hope the program is successful.  ...

Help If Your TAA Application Is Denied!!
Jan 11, 2010

http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/appeal_rights.cfm ...

Denied Pay For Blanks!
May 26, 2015

I am a very experienced MT who never leaves blanks unless the dictators us just plain undecipherable, which was the case with one ESL idiot who was such a poor dictator I had to leave about 25 blanks.  I struggled with this jerk's utterances (can't call them actual words) for an HOUR, replaying over and over, trying to figure out what he MEANT to say.  I made way under minimum wage on in that hour, and put in a lot of free time to try to get thro ...

MModal TAA Petition Denied.
May 18, 2014

petition number 85182 The last TAA petition ended 3/29/2014. The new petition was denied. :-( ...

Denied - Score 94. Oh Well. Good Luck
Mar 20, 2014

is finally the day I make the decision to move on from Mmodal. Good luck to all who applied. ...

Has Anyone Ever Been Denied Time Off When They Had Reservations Already In Place?
Dec 02, 2014

Why do they say we can apply for time off 60 days in advance when they are going to wait until the month of to approve it.  I have had these reservations since September, as most people do plan ahead, especially when reservations are needed.  I would just work at the hotel room, but I will need to be traveling during the time I would be working.   I am freaking out, I don't know what to do. ...

Requested Reversal - Denied. Resubmitted
Jun 19, 2015

My TSM was not the one who denied it, it went on up the chain.  I still do not feel it was justified and reopened the ticket.   For some reason I now feel like I will be targeted on the QA circuit for a while.  Can you spell REVENGE? ...

12 Days Until Christmas & Still Not Approved Or Denied, Or Answering Emails.
Dec 13, 2012

x ...

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 20, 2014

OMG GUYS!!!!!!!!!!! ...

I Accepted A Position And After
Jun 17, 2011

reading all the fine print, I don't want to work for the company....how should I go about telling them? I don't want to burn a bridge in case I become desperate for a job later on!! ...

Anyone Interviewed And Or Accepted Job With
Oct 18, 2012

would like to know process? ...

I've Just Been Accepted To College!!
Oct 22, 2013

After going back and forth for two years, I finally decided to apply for college and I was accepted, yay me!!  Actually, I already have my Associate's degree, so this isn't my first time in college, but I feel like I've taken a huge step in my life and I was so excited I just wanted to share with my fellow MTs!  Just an FYI, after researching an endless amount of colleges, I chose WGU majoring in Health Informatics and am even considering my MBA there as well because the ...

Is Oversew An Accepted Word?
Jan 03, 2011

I see this listed in many dictionaries. I think it is okay. Should it be hyphenated? ...

Just Accepted A Position With Accentus
Apr 14, 2012

Hi everyone I just accepted a position with Accentus and I was wondering if there are any other folks here who work for them and how you like it ?? Thanks everyone ! ...

I Am An MT W/20 Yrs Exp (acute/clinic) Who Just Accepted
Aug 17, 2012

x ...

Help! I Just Was Accepted With A Co. That Pays 3CPL
Mar 17, 2014

for editing and 8CPL for regular transcription, though they say it's 95% editing.  The interviewer said this was the going rate.  REALLY?  Should I hold out and find a higher editing rate?  How do you make more than minimum wage with that?   ...

What Is The Accepted Abbreviation For Subcutaneous?
Apr 17, 2015

I have a dictator who is very particular and says "sub hyphen q."  I've always been a little foggy on whether it is subcu, sub-q or always expand to subcutaneous.  Thanks! ...

Recently Accepted A Position With Spheris
Mar 23, 2010

I recently accepted a position with Spheris.  Does anyone work for Spheris?  Also do you know if you can use a laptop instead of their computer equipment that way I would not be cooped up in my home office all the time?  Thanks ...

Somone Below Said They Just Accepted A Position At Oracle....
Feb 20, 2014

Are they SERIOUSLY hiring again?!!! If so, that is outrageous.  There's not enough work for people now!  What the are they thinking? ...

Clear Choice Transcription - Accepted A Position With This Company?
Sep 09, 2010

Has anyone actually accepted a position with this company?  If so, would appreciate insight into what you think of the company.  I know the pay scale isn't all that great, but it's better than nothing at this point. ...

Accepted A Job Transcribing For Legal And Insurance Letters And Forms.
Mar 26, 2014

I applied for a job with a company and was hired.  The start pay is just okay, but increases as your line count increases and  I think this is a good way for me to get my foot in the door and experience with working with other types of transcription and jobs.  It is straight typing and involves insurance and legal matters and forms.  If anyone wants to know more about it, I will be happy to let you know.  I start in April.  ...

S/l "Accepted Insertion: Cecum"
Jan 20, 2010

transcribing a colonoscopy.  He says this right after he lists the instrument name, and it sounds like "accepted insertion cecum".  Thank you for any help! ...

Is "chemo" An Accepted Brief ?
Aug 06, 2010

Just wondering if "chemo" is dictated not in any headings or diagnoses, if it can be used? Can't seem to find it in the BOS and just wondering if that is an accepted slang term? Thanks ...

Unemployment Pay For ICs?
Dec 30, 2010

Wondering....was forced to change from statutory employee to IC status with federal ID number instead of SS# when MDI-MD was rolled into Transcend.  Now, Transcend informs that they are NOT going to be employing ICs after Jan 1, 2011. Would like to apply for unemployment, but am being told by a number of people that is not do-able because wages were paid under Federal ID #, not to my social and I signed an IC contract (under great duress, I might add!) Anybody have experience with this, ca ...

Unemployment ??
Aug 01, 2011

Has anyone applied for unemployment when you have run out of work? Just wondering, you can - even if you have work on and off, but not enough, depending on what your state requirements are.  I can no longer survive like this anymore, work then no work - I have only made 100.00 in a week and a half.  Anyone in this occupation should be able to be retrained through EDD as this job is disappearing and we are being taken advantage of ....... Just won ...

Where Does Unemployment Come From If....
Oct 16, 2011

If you live in 1 state and work at home but your employer is located in another state, which state pays your unemployment?  My state pays relatively low but if I am able to collect from my employer's state, I would receive slightly more money per week.  Anyone have any experience with this?   ...

Unemployment In CA-do You Go Through CA?
Apr 15, 2013

I am being told I have to go through TN since MModal is located there. ...

Unemployment FYI: If You Even Think, You Might
Oct 05, 2013

Start getting paperwork documentation in order NOW.  Here's hoping you don't need it, but you will be that much further ahead if you do.   Even if you're not at risk of being fired, laid off could be possible and you would still need this. It could be at least 21 days from the time the question arose, before you receive an answer about benefits.  If your case is complicated in any way, it will take longer. Try as hard as you can to save up at least 2, if not ...

Unemployment
Dec 23, 2014

Does anyone know if you would be eligible for unemployment if you get terminated because you are not "meeting contractual obligations" i.e. LPH/QA?   ...

Factoids On Unemployment
Dec 27, 2009

Some of you may know some or all of this about unemployment from the "employer's" perspective but here goes.  I just spoke to my brother who is the CEO of his very successful business, with only a handful of employees, but he is looking on netting over 1 mil. next year (!)  Anyway, he lives and works in California.  He told me that if someone applies for disability, the state contacts him to hear his point-of-view.  They tell him why the employee has filed, and he has a ...