A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am an MT w/20 yrs exp (acute/clinic) who just accepted - a job for 7 cpl. Signed, Desperate and Hungry. nm

Posted: Aug 17, 2012

x

P.S. And no intentions of staying there for good, just temp - until I can at least get .08. Still looking. OP sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That's what the companies who pay peanuts get, short-term MTs who are desperate to eat at the moment but continue to search for halfway decent wages, then bailing when they find it. Thank goodness I'm going to school and getting out of this sorry profession.

Yes, I agree...and the big companies who - treat MTs like crap...

[ In Reply To ..]
are the ones constantly hiring on here. If you see one of the big conglomerates with repeated ads, you can surmise they treat everyone poorly and also try to pay what we started in the industry making 20 years ago! I used to be able to make a good living at this...not getting rich but it was fair. Now it's reverted back, while inflation has skyrocketed. We're lucky to get minimum wage for a HIGHLY skilled profession. Like you said, all we can do at this point is treat the 7 & 8 cpl as temporary jobs and keep looking.

Problem is, the ones on here are advertising, but - not too many are hiring. And - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
when they DO hire, they OVER-hire. Classic case of damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Not meaning to sound bitter, but be thankful you got the job - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been looking for 2 years, have 16 years of experience and nada!

Do you think the slave owner said that to his slaves, too? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

It is not slavery it is capitalism - Supply and demand

[ In Reply To ..]
Right now there are too many MT's on the market thanks to the large available population in India and the Philippines and the number of MTs that the schools in the US have been spitting out over the last several years.

When there is plenty of supply (MTs) to fill the demand, the price goes down. Then the supply dwindles, then the price goes up.

This is only doubly affected by the use of VR and those EMR systems such as EPIC that eliminate the MT completely.

OP - you do what you have to do to keep the roof over your head. I've been there and done that. Keep on keeping on and stay strong. 7 cpl is better than 0 cpl.
It's not capitalism anymore. It's EXPLOITATION. - n/m - Meerkat
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, which is why the AHDI should lobby - to keep records in the US.
[ In Reply To ..]
I mean what do they do with all the dues money? I think they sit around and drink champagne and think of new BOS rules to totally contradict what they've said were such hard and fast "rules."
Who should lobby to keep our $$ records in US. Financial - info is in those 3rd world countries, also. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Waaaay too late for that! - PassingThru
[ In Reply To ..]
That was in order about 20 years ago. The horse is already out of the barn.

Geez. What does that have to do with the price of eggs? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
n
Not about eggs. About the slave wages of MTs. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

nope. slaves are owned: they cannot choose. - yes, the wages suck. No, we are not slaves.

[ In Reply To ..]
We ARE slaves! - Historian
[ In Reply To ..]
You need to read a TON of world history, U.S. history, and historical documents -- using a legal dictionary to look up EVERY word in those docs.
Are you suggesting MTs have to look up every word in a report? - The good ones dont. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
LOL - Historian
[ In Reply To ..]
Where did I mention medical reports? I was talking about LEGAL DOCUMENTS which contain LEGAL TERMS. Unless you are an attorney or paralegal, you DO NOT know what the legal meaning is even if you THINK you do.

One example is "understand." In common parlance, this means "comprehend." Used in a legal setting, however, it means agreeing with the charges against you and "standing under" the authorities.

So, if you're going to read the U.S. constitution or some other LEGAL DOCUMENT, you had better have a good legal dictionary handy.

desperate and hungry - Seasoned MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I hear you. I have been an IC for ScribeRight for 9 years, with 20 years of experience prior to that, and was making 9.5 cpl up until May when the CEO "restructured" the compensatory system and cut my rate to 8 cpl. It really hurts! When I owned my own transcription service back 25 years ago, I was paying people 10 cpl... It's hard to believe the industry has declined so much.

cpl/spaces - Elssa

[ In Reply To ..]
I was cut from 10.25 cpl (not paid for spaces) to 8 cpl (paid for spaces) a couple months ago when my long-time hospital account was offshored. They said it's equivalent, but it's not..It's definitely a cut. Are you paid for spaces?

They also cut out all PTO and made the bonus quotas higher/harder to do. I've been doing this for over 25 years. Wonder if any other profession has gone as downhill as MT? :(

Similar Messages:

Any Clinic MTs Try For An Acute Care Job...
Jun 04, 2010

And get hired? Opportunites are limited with clinic work, which is all I have experience with, but nobody will give me a chance. Should I apply for acute care positions anyway? Anyone MTs who only did clinic work have any stories about breaking into it? ...

Clinic To Acute Care
Jun 22, 2015

I have been doing clinic transcription for 8 years.  I really want to learn Acute Care transcription.  What is the best way to do that?  Anyone know any companies that might give a chance to learn Acute Care? ...

Going From Clinic To Acute Care . Any Suggestions?
Apr 19, 2010

I have been a clinic MT for 18 years.  How can I advance to Acute Care?  Can anyone explain to me how exactly Acute Care differs from clinic, other than the obvious such as types of notes (I already type H&P's and consultations with outpatient op notes).  Thanks for any input. ...

Radiology Vs Acute Care Vs Clinic Notes
Oct 13, 2009

Which generally pays more? Is there any speciality that generally has a higher cpl rate? ...

TTS - Hiring For An Acute Care And A Clinic Account
Jun 23, 2010

I see they are hiring for an acute care and a clinic account. But they say you must have acute care experience. Does anyone know if this is true? I know I can ask the company, and I will, but I thought I would see if anyone here knew. ...

Clinic Work Versus Acute Care
Dec 04, 2010

Hi, everyone, I wondered if you would be willing to offer your opinions on clinic transcription versus acute care transcription.  Which do you prefer?  What are the pros and cons of each?  Which has better schedule arrangements/working hours?  Anything you would like to offer is appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Clinic Work Vs. Acute Care Work
Aug 19, 2011

Is anyone hiring for clinic work these days? I've only done clinic work for the 5 or 6 years of my career, and I can't get any company to hire me to do acute care. Any tips on getting hired to do acute care when you've only done clinic?. ...

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 20, 2014

OMG GUYS!!!!!!!!!!! ...

I Accepted A Position And After
Jun 17, 2011

reading all the fine print, I don't want to work for the company....how should I go about telling them? I don't want to burn a bridge in case I become desperate for a job later on!! ...

Anyone Interviewed And Or Accepted Job With
Oct 18, 2012

would like to know process? ...

I've Just Been Accepted To College!!
Oct 22, 2013

After going back and forth for two years, I finally decided to apply for college and I was accepted, yay me!!  Actually, I already have my Associate's degree, so this isn't my first time in college, but I feel like I've taken a huge step in my life and I was so excited I just wanted to share with my fellow MTs!  Just an FYI, after researching an endless amount of colleges, I chose WGU majoring in Health Informatics and am even considering my MBA there as well because the ...

Is Oversew An Accepted Word?
Jan 03, 2011

I see this listed in many dictionaries. I think it is okay. Should it be hyphenated? ...

Just Accepted A Position With Accentus
Apr 14, 2012

Hi everyone I just accepted a position with Accentus and I was wondering if there are any other folks here who work for them and how you like it ?? Thanks everyone ! ...

Help! I Just Was Accepted With A Co. That Pays 3CPL
Mar 17, 2014

for editing and 8CPL for regular transcription, though they say it's 95% editing.  The interviewer said this was the going rate.  REALLY?  Should I hold out and find a higher editing rate?  How do you make more than minimum wage with that?   ...

UNEMPLOYMENT - ACCEPTED OR DENIED??
Feb 22, 2015

(forgive me for posting this twice, but I am new here and I wanted it at the beginning of Nuance posts but somehow it ended up in the middle of an ongoing discussion - so I am attempting to repost here. )   Does anyone know the answer to this?? Our hospital is going with Nuance. We are being pressured to make a decision by this week as to whether we go with Nuance or accept the unemployment. Here is our question... I hope a few people answer this!!! Do ANY of you know anyone who did not a ...

What Is The Accepted Abbreviation For Subcutaneous?
Apr 17, 2015

I have a dictator who is very particular and says "sub hyphen q."  I've always been a little foggy on whether it is subcu, sub-q or always expand to subcutaneous.  Thanks! ...

Recently Accepted A Position With Spheris
Mar 23, 2010

I recently accepted a position with Spheris.  Does anyone work for Spheris?  Also do you know if you can use a laptop instead of their computer equipment that way I would not be cooped up in my home office all the time?  Thanks ...

Somone Below Said They Just Accepted A Position At Oracle....
Feb 20, 2014

Are they SERIOUSLY hiring again?!!! If so, that is outrageous.  There's not enough work for people now!  What the are they thinking? ...

Clear Choice Transcription - Accepted A Position With This Company?
Sep 09, 2010

Has anyone actually accepted a position with this company?  If so, would appreciate insight into what you think of the company.  I know the pay scale isn't all that great, but it's better than nothing at this point. ...

Accepted A Job Transcribing For Legal And Insurance Letters And Forms.
Mar 26, 2014

I applied for a job with a company and was hired.  The start pay is just okay, but increases as your line count increases and  I think this is a good way for me to get my foot in the door and experience with working with other types of transcription and jobs.  It is straight typing and involves insurance and legal matters and forms.  If anyone wants to know more about it, I will be happy to let you know.  I start in April.  ...

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

Clinic Going VR With EHR
May 10, 2011

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed over and over - I'm just starting to research it a bit.  (I haven't completely been under a rock but I have been in my own happy little world with my job ... until now).  I'm an IC transcriptionist (working from home) for a local clinic of 15 MDs/PAs.   Three of them are using Dragon Speak  VR  with EHR.  A fourth one just started.  What I want to know is if there is a place for me when m ...

S/l "Accepted Insertion: Cecum"
Jan 20, 2010

transcribing a colonoscopy.  He says this right after he lists the instrument name, and it sounds like "accepted insertion cecum".  Thank you for any help! ...

What Is The Best Way To Go After Your Own Little Clinic Account?
Nov 13, 2010

My company just lost a huge account.  Since then I have not made much money at all.  I am scraping to get by.  After 10 years in the medical transcription field I am fed up.  I have always worked on such great accounts for good money.  Now, I cannot find something that is even average pay.  I am going to be taking a medical coding course; however, I still need to provide for my three kids.  I want to go out and solicit doctors and try to secure my own account, ...

In-house Clinic Pay
Nov 16, 2010

I have an interview with a local eye clinic (there are six surgeons).  Just wondering what kind of salary to expect to be offered or ask for (!), having been paid as a remote MT/VR Editor by production for many years and haven't a clue about salaries in clinics any more.  It is not as an IC but as member of their staff, permanent, full-time, 40 hours a week. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.   ...

Clinic Transcription
Mar 27, 2012

I am looking for clinic transcription.  Can anyone give a list of companies to try that have a lot of clinic transcription. ...

Nuance Took Over My Clinic
Dec 10, 2012

I just found out today when I had no work with my smaller company that Nuance took over all the work starting today.  I found out they knew about it 2 months ago and didn't tell us.  I am waiting on the contact information from the original clinic manager at the doctor's office so hopefully we can go with our work.  Has anyone else had this happen and if so how good are the chances of just going with Nuance.  At this point I just need the work.    Thank ...

Been Doing Clinic My Whole MT Career...
Jul 05, 2013

I've been doing clinic my whole six-year MT career. Now since there are not that many clinic transcription jobs anymore, I'd like to learn acute. But of course, all the acute ads say they want experience. I'm confident that I can pass some of the acute care job tests. Are some employers open to giving you an acute care job if you do well on the test, having no actual job experience in it? I went to a good school and am confident in my abilities. What has been your experience in th ...

My Clinic Just Went To EHR With EClinicalworks
Sep 13, 2013

Am I now out of a job or is there a place for transcription with this program?  Anybody have an idea of what to expect?  ...

There Goes Cleveland Clinic
Sep 18, 2013

wonder how many MTs this includes? http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/18/us-usa-health-clevelandclinic-idUSBRE98H14V20130918 ...