A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please "flex" your time. - fedup

Posted: Nov 10, 2012

Yet another email this morning stating volumes are low, please flex your time.  Can someone explain to me exactly what this means?  In actuality, aren't they asking/expecting us to be available all day until there is actual work, instead of the schedule we signed up for? 

Yes, that's exactly what it means - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have no work in any of your accounts during your scheduled work hours, keep track of it, stay clocked in. Don't clock out. When you have that information at the end of the pay period, gather it and apply for UE, as that is considered unemployed. I don't know why this company gets away with this, but it's ridiculous. Of course, everyone knows there are slow times and busy times in the MT world, but with the addition of India and cheaper labor, they need to start paying at least minimum wage for the hours there is no work. Until they wise up, everyone should be applying for UE if they have no work during their scheduled hours. It's not like we are ICs. We are employees.

Correction, that should be under-employed, not unemployed - me

[ In Reply To ..]
x

something to think about - stupidforbelieving

[ In Reply To ..]
I know in my state, they cannot get away with this, that is unless we let them. I just found this out - If you are out of work and it is during your agreed upon time of working, the thing to do is clock out of work, but then clock back in while you are out of work and put in the reason for that time as not being production, but being out of work waiting (like we do for meetings, etc) - or something to that effect. Being employees we are supposed to be paid for the down time, even if it is just minimum wage until our shift is done.

If everyone did this, perhaps Nuance would get the drift and stop hiring so many and start redirecting the work so that their employees will at least have nearly decent work loads! ICs clock out and wait, employees work their scheduled hours! Factories dont get away with this, why should Nuance?

Educate yourself ladies and gentleman! Learn the employee rights of your states and use them "wisely" !!

I totally agree. s/m - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in Florida. Where are you? Need to know if my state will allow me to do what you said.

flexing time - mt20years

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been told to "flex" my time too, but I never do it. I am an employee and they WANTED A SET SCHEDULE OF HOURS THAT I WOULD WORK, so they need to have work during those hours. I refuse to stay chained to my computer "checking" tos ee if there are a few reports available.

Do exactly what sm said and file for UE. You won't run out of work anymore.

But what happens when - they have to pay MUP?

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't you worry about getting fired or harassed when you don't complete the minimum number of lines? I do.

I just got a similar email - fedup as well

[ In Reply To ..]
"Please flex your time and continue to check back for work." This is contrary to what we were told by HR. HR told us that if we got NSA to wait 15 minutes (and stay clocked in) and then check for work again. If we still had no work, we are supposed to email our manager and then wait another 15 minutes to see if there is work on another account or something. If there is no work at that time, we can be excused for the day (NOT required to continually check back for work or work outside of our normal schedule). You can use PTO if you have no work but you are NOT required to do so. Maybe we should all forward these emails to the HR person so she knows that what is being asked is against the law (cannot require us to check back for work without compensation). I agree that you should file for partial unemployment if you can.

HR is useless - IMO

[ In Reply To ..]
But you could give it a try and see what transpires. I personally found her to be a condescending good-for-nothing.

YES! (the second sentence). NM. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

My TSM told me she could not share specifics but - encourged me to look for a new job.

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like this is just the beginning of daily out of work situations. When I spoke with her, she wasn't encouraging at all as to the future of our merge (Transcend to Nuance). I really thought I would retire someday from Transcend. Never did I expect to be treated this way for my loyalty to the company all these years.

No that doesn't sound encouraging at all - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Did your TSM actually say better start looking? Was this in regard to asking about low work? Thanks

Not OP but my TSM also said things were - changing and not to pass up a

[ In Reply To ..]
job if it came along. Reading between the lines, it's only going to get worse. She was sympathetic but I know was trying to share info in a way as not to come right out with it. I've been with Transcend 14 years and am sick to my stomach now with the way we are being "rewarded" now. I don't know how our CEO sleeps at night knowing what she has done to us all.

So, what do you think is going to happen? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like be prepared for changes in a couple of months? It just seems things are somehow different right now, can't really put my finger on it, but the updates sent out look different, not nearly as many jobs on many accounts. But, where are they going? off-shore or to Nuance MTs or what? Not nearly the feeling of the same "team" spirit to me now despite the update emails with weather reports.

Everyone needs to start filing for partial unemployment - while you sit with no work.

[ In Reply To ..]
When their UI rating goes up maybe they will rethink their strategy.

I asked my new TSM about this and she emailed back - saying this is not allowed and

[ In Reply To ..]
that we are offered the ability to flex to get our hours and work in. She said it just goes along with this line of business and should be expected. I've printed out the email and will bring it to unemployment with me and see what they think.

Not true - Of course she would say that

[ In Reply To ..]
I was specifically told that I had to work a set schedule and could NOT have a flexible schedule. I had previously had a 12-hour window but was told that was no longer allowed by Nuance. They can't change their mind now and claim that we are offered the ability to flex so can't file for unemployment if we have no work during our scheduled hours. Just file and then see what happens.

She's either been told to lie or is uninformed. Wow.. (nm) - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
They're both bad. One means that the company is knowingly trying to prohibit employees from applying. The other means that somebody in a supervisory position like this arbitrarily states false information.

LOL. Not allowed. She's funny. - save that nm

[ In Reply To ..]
They sure do like to try to control us, don't they? Truth is, they're scared as bunnies being chased by a pack of wolves. I love this board for getting the word out, the TRUTH. You can and should file. You are not an IC. You are an employee and whether this is the nature of the business or not, they should be paying us if there is no work. Otherwise, they should allow us to work whenever we want, be ICs and pay us more. How stupid do they really think we all are?

Flexing time - na

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have been in the MT business for any period of time, you will know that work volumes ebb and flow. I have been transcribing for over 20 years and I was flexing my schedule/time back then. It is nothing new to the MT field!

Flexing - fedup

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing this for over 25 years and occasional "flexing" during slow times is certainly nothing new to me. However, when it becomes a way of life and there is never work during the shift you were hired for, this is no longer considered "flexing" as far as I'm concerned. That is a definite problem, either from over-hiring or sending work to India. In either case, it isn't acceptable.

Similar Messages:

Confused About People Laid Off Part Time Flex, Thought Flex Position Was Eliminated Years Ago
Aug 17, 2013

I am part time but not flex. I wanted to go flex but my CCM told me that they no longer had flex positions available. This was probably 2 years ago.  How is everyone part time flex? ...

Flex Time
May 12, 2012

I was just reading over at the Department of Labor website. It seems to me that many MTSOs have changed the original meaning of "flex time"for employees. Used to be that we had X hours in a day to work our schedule.  (example: 12 hours flexible time to work 7 hours).  Suddenly, it is now 8 hours to work 8 hours with strict adherence.  So, one might say this is done in office jobs.  But when I worked in an office for many years, we were on the clock for everyt ...

Can Anyone Tell Me How Flex Time Works
Apr 11, 2010

at Medquist.  I may be taking a different job but kind of wanted to keep this just in case I hate it or the pay is even worse, though I doubt that will happen.  Is there a minimum?  Are you just on call for heavy times?  Just there for trades, etc.?  TIA ...

Part-time Flex
Mar 23, 2011

I have been Part-Time Flex for years, but sup wants me to switch to Part-Time.  What's so different between the two? ...

Does Nuance Have Flex Time?
Nov 21, 2012

Does Nuance offer flex time?  I work for Accentus and they're  very flexible when it comes to when I have to work; nobody says anything as long as I produce, whether I get on a 6 am, off at 7, on again at 9, off at 2, on again at 7 off 9, etc.  I'm going to have a huge problem if there's no flexibility in my schedule. ...

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...

Any Work For Part Time Flex People?
Mar 26, 2010

I'm part time 24+ a week right now...looking to decrease hours but want to make sure I can get at least 10 hours a week.  Will I have trouble getting that?  When I was hired they said they couldn't guarantee flex PT hours, so....? ...

Don't Know Why HDSM Would Send Stupid Message About Flex Time, With All This MOT -
Mar 26, 2015

What schedule!?! ...

Wondering What Everyone Does When OOW..flex Or Not Flex Sm
Jan 02, 2015

What do you all do when you are OOW?  Do you flex and come back later in the day, flex to a different day of the pay week, use your PTO, or take time off without pay? I usually flex and make up later in day or another day, but really getting tired of that, but need the money, even as little as it is these days. Makes for very long days, as you all know.  Starting out working first shift and then having work to midnight is awful. Besides, do not feel right about cutting into other peop ...

PT To Flex
Mar 10, 2010

Are people still being hired as flex position?  Has anyone switched from full or part time to flex recently?  I was flex about 1-1/2 years ago and was told I had to go part time, now I want to switch back to flex as I cannot stand the stress of this company and all its ridiculous rules, regulations.  Flex I could do but part time, Im finding it harder and harder to do those 24 hours/week.  Thanks! ...

Flex Schedule
Oct 08, 2011

Reading through the many different polices, if I am reading this correct, you can be a flex-employee, 2000 lines per wk?  Do any of you work this kind of schedule?  Considering leaving, but would still like to work very part-time and this would be great. ...

Flex Or TAT Companies
Mar 01, 2012

I am looking to either land a direct account or get on with a company that offers flex work, temp work, or work on a TAT. I am only interested in transcription (not editing at this time)because I am most effective at transcription. Please share if you have any advice or ideas! ...

S/l Vera Flex Stent
Oct 18, 2009

I am trying to google this, but having no luck so far.  Anyone know how it is spelled? 4.0/32 mm vera flex stent ...

Has Anyone Heard That Flex Pt Is Going To Be Discontinued? Sm
Apr 05, 2010

I got an email from my CCM and she asked about us being flex PT.  I am wondering if this position is going to be discontinued and we will have to do regular PT?  I only hold onto this crummy job as a second in case my regular job goes caput (sp)!  I have had that happen so many times with MQ already, just losing the account and sorry no work, so I work for 2 now consistently.  Thanks for any info anyone has! ...

S/l Circle Flex Stent
Jul 30, 2011

Remote s/l (circle flex) stent. ...

Dorsi And Plantar Flex Foot
Dec 26, 2014

doc dictates "it is not too bad until she actually dorsi and plantar flexes her toes" Is this correctly transcribed??  TIA   ...

DermaFlex Versus Derma-flex (trademark Name)
Nov 10, 2014

I am having QA people change it back and forth and I get knocked for it. ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Pt Had "flex Dex" Of The T Spine, Which Showed Extensive
Jul 18, 2012

? ...

OOW? Just Simply "flex" Your Hours.
Aug 21, 2013

I absolutely hate when I am told to just "flex" my hours. I have contracted for work within a particular time frame. If no work is available during that time it is not a simple matter of just "flexing" my time. My life is not that "flexible". I have kids, husband, house, school to deal with sweetie.  Try to not over hire so many MTs to get that awesome TAT. Try to not send our work overseas to save a few cents.  How about that waiting time pay sweetie?  Does that not apply when we ...

TTS - Can "flex" Our Schedules
May 21, 2012

I was just hired 3 weeks ago for a new account that wtarts out with straight typing and will go to VR. I practically get no work on this account since I think they overhired. Alos they gave me a backup account that now almost every day I run out of work almost ebery day on the backup account. Every week there is at least 1 whole day where I have every no work on either account or only 1 hour's worth of work. Supposedly they are looking into giving me a third account. Meantime, their mi ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...