A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Nuance to acquire Transcend - nm

Posted: Mar 07, 2012

nm

Yes, I just read that too. - Nuance will be buying Transcend

[ In Reply To ..]
Dont know a whole lot about Nuance, but worked at Transcend for about 4 days and quit.

Looks like there are only gonna be two giants out there now. As far as I know the three biggest companies were M-Modal, Transcend, and Nuanace.

I have heard mixed reviews about Nuance so there might not be a lot of changes off the bat for the Transcenders.

so that is why - memls

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sitting here waiting to join in a conference call for some "exciting news"...great...just great :(

Yep thats probably the reason for the conference call - You know they always gotta call it exciting news.

[ In Reply To ..]
I think Nuanace has a pretty good reputatoin though, dont quote me. I have heard some bad, some good. But I've heard they have incentive programs. Heard more good than bad, but dont know first hand cuz never worked for them.

Good Luck.

I don't anything about Nuance, but surely to goodness - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
it has to be better than M*Modal (MQ). I certainly hope so.

Bought by Nuance - Fried

[ In Reply To ..]
No, it is definitely not...Run while u can. Been looking for months. Nuance is the worst of the worst in my opinion.

Deja vue Wannie? Here we go again. :( - wasHappyMt

[ In Reply To ..]

They are buying them for 300 million - another one bites - the dust

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

300 million - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance has 300 million but can't pay their MTs a decent wage! I quit working for them recently because they sent my accounts offshore, which is truly unAmerican in my view. I started on two new accounts and was not paid a training hourly wage as was previously the policy. I was switched to speech recognition which was like working for next to nothing! Please read about speech recognition on the sidebar of this site. It is a joke and an insult to all MTs. Being an MT is an important job that carries a lot of responsibility of which none is well compensated for from any company. I am sad to no longer be working in a field that I truly enjoyed, but I'm afraid speech recognition is here to stay as long as there are MTs willing to working for minimum wage or less.

Here's a link to the article - For those of you interested in reading it

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/topix/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20120307005714&newsLang=en&ndmConfigId=1000639&vnsId=41

I'm so nervous about - this

[ In Reply To ..]
I absolutely dread the unknown. How do you prepare for this? Should I expect a pay cut? That's my biggest fear, and I'm NOT going to be happy if that happens. We need a cost of living raise, not more pay cuts.

Great, exciting news. - Patience

[ In Reply To ..]
In this environment, mergers are Always terrifying, gut-wrenching news especially for those of us in the trenches. Just ask people who work in the auto industry. Exciting...Naw, dont think so.

Doubt there will be any paycuts. - Cant speak with certainty about changes.

[ In Reply To ..]
But seems like I heard Nuance pays well; however, someone might come along and beg to differ. I know it's hard just try to go into it with an open mind. Read the boards here or start a thread asking questions such as what its like to work for Nuance.

Im sure there are many on here that can give you insight on what the company is like and what to expect.

Can't be cut much further - mm

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe this is be good.

PayCut - Webber

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry to rain on your parade, but we were told no pay cuts and wow did they come fast. Everyone is paid the same across the board. Only way to make more is produce more for the incentive program and be accurate. It's not good here.
Pay cut - shouldistay
[ In Reply To ..]
Would you be willing to divulge what that same pay actually is? Thanks.

Ex webbie/Nuance employees - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Our transition was absolutely HORRIBLE, still is. Insurance options are horrible, M*Modal is better. Paid into the insurance, went to use my card, they didn't have me in their system. Hours and hours spent on CRAP like this! Never ever have I seen such disorganization. Immediately they stopped our M*Modal speech rec (owned by rival) and we went onto a DINOSAUR of a program. Can't make half of what we made on this. Finally they are transitioning us to Escription. Friends here said when they were with a company bought out by M*Modal, the transitoin was way better than here! Had to redo I-9 3 times!!! They kept saying something needed to be redone. I am totally transitioning out of MT, studying now for a new profession.

One big change for Transcend will be the need to clock in/out.

My sympathies to all and best wishes.

Oh yeah, Transcend has that weird way of clocking - system and also many platforms

[ In Reply To ..]
Forgot about that, but who knows maybe they will adopt some of Transcends way of doing things, but on the other hand they may standarize things such as the way Transcend clocks in and out.

time clock - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Even though Wmx used time clock, they are switching to their method, and we were needing to clock in/out on BOTH systems during the transition. So, I think they will impose their system, at least based on what happened to us. I jumped ship but have friends still here.
Well the whole clocking system might be a good change - seemed to me like it was their way of...
[ In Reply To ..]
Not having to pay the difference if a person didnt make minimum wage. They told me I was only to enter in enough hours for the amount of work done. So even if it took me 10hrs to get in 1200 lines, I should only enter 8, not the whole ten. It was weird and something totally not right about that.

So yeah, that might change. I am also interested in how all the different platforms will be affected since Transcend uses so many of them. Will Nuance want everyone to only work on one platform company wide? or will they leave it the way it is? Time will tell I guess.

Nuance acquiring Transcend - MT2012

[ In Reply To ..]
I work PT for Nuance. I prefer the time clock Nuance uses. It uses "real" time, and you just hit the IN and OUT buttons on the screen and that's it.

One more thing - I am worried that as Nuance "eats up" the competition that our wages will go to a penny a line. It would seem Nuance is trying to rid as much competition as they can. Something to think about.

Not the same experience for me! - na

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought the transition went smoothly and did not experience what you did. I was able to use my insurance without any issues. I am looking forward to using escription. I have heard only fantastic things about it, especially how it can increase production!

nuance - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad to hear that it went well for some! I have several friends who had similar problems, but I can't speak to more than that. I DO have to say I have heard good things as well about Escription and hope that solves many of the issues! It just seems like it has taken FOREVER to get to this point!

My experience has been OK so far... (sm) - Hopeful

[ In Reply To ..]
Transitioning over from WMX, I was very anxious that things were going to go south fast. My worst fear was that our wages were going to be cut again. To my relief, only my ISR rate went down by 1/4-cent per line. My regular rate stayed the same.

Among the positives, being part-time, I was able to increase my hours to 30 (from 20) in order to partake in the medical/dental benefits which is a huge plus for me and as a single (as opposed to family) the cost is low; I can now also accrue PTO (on a limited basis) and partake in the 401K. These are all positive changes for me, plus I get to keep my same, great team leader.

Haven't had a problem accessing or using my benefits. The one thing that was a HUGE, COLOSSAL pain was the I-9 form, but that finally got resolved with the help of HR although I really don't know why they needed that form when they had all of our information in the first place. Grrrrr...

I worked for Medquist (now M*Modal, or whatever it's called) for 7 years, left in 2008 for WMX and would never go back to the shambles that company (MQ)turned into.

I'm not here as a cheerleader for Nuance. Just wanted to share my experience and the fact that so far things are going okay and I'm very hopeful, especially with Escription in the near future.

Good luck to all.
My experience - ej
[ In Reply To ..]
Doesn't sound bad. Do they hire IC's at all. I might consider that if they do. Thanks a lot.

at least now we might be able to get benefits - apple

[ In Reply To ..]
Can't seem to make the $900 gross with Transcend for benefits and have 3 accts. I'm just glad it wasn't Medquist buying them out.

Been hoping to get health benefits back for a while now. - Hopeful

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not too sure Nuance is going to want to give out benefits either though, ugh!

Nuance health benefits - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you just need the benefits for yourself it is not horrible, but the family rates are exorbitant and would take almost 100% of my pay. Other good thing is that you can get them part time, which you could not at Wmx.

You get benefits with Nuance even being PT - apple

[ In Reply To ..]
Many here have said that and their ad says that too, so hopefully benefits won't be an issue now. I could never make the quota to receive benefits with Transcend as there was never enough work.
Currently work for Nuance - thirdshiftzombie
[ In Reply To ..]
I currently work for Nuance, full time, as well as for Transcend, part time. The merger was a big surprise, but when a company is constantly putting out their earnings every quarter the way Transcend was they are poised to sell.

Here is a low down of what to expect: Pay - Transcend and Nuance are pretty much even in terms of pay. Nuance pays -0.46 for all work completed from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am and 0.41 for work completed after 6:00 am to just before 10:00. That is for edit pay, which 98% of the work is just that. I believe it is 0.85 for straight typing, but again, you just do not get straight typing unless you are "prepping" a new account.

ES (eScription) is an amazing platform. You will hit lines that blow you away, but sadly, the better you do and the more you train the program, the quicker the work is eaten away. They overstaff as a rule, and when your account has work building, most team leaders put out the cattle call via IM for everyone to hop on and clear it all out. Doesn't matter that it wipes out the work for your shift. The TLs only care about how they look, not if you can make enough each shift.

Also, they are a down with the sun company, so if your account allows, the work does and will get shipped off to India. Some accounts actually close to US MTs at 10:00.

They hire newbies to dinos (such as myself) and the pay is the same regardless of skill set. You are expected to work either Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday through Thursday, no exceptions that I know of. If you get a good TL, you have lucked out. If not, well...

The incentive program is awesome, as long as you maintain a 99%. The problem is they QA you every day to every week, randomly, and with random QA running your reports, so you never get a hang of the QA's style, etc. They are extremely picky, and will dock you for punctuation at 0.25, etc. If you nail your QA score, you get a bonus based on the amount of lines edited for that pay period, its a certain percentage.

Insurance is typical, awful. I pay 90 for myself for health, dental and vision. I could not afford to tack on my children, and family forget about it. BUT it is similar in price to Transcend, and same carrier, Aetna.

You will always need a secondary account, as work runs out frequently, and you are only allowed to flex time on the weekends.

The transition will go slowly, and the first thing Nuance does when the ball really gets rolling is schedule an online meeting. Its pre-recorded, don't be offended, they've eaten up so many companies I suppose it makes it "easier" on them in the long run. That may be a few months in the future, it was when my original company, Encompass was taken over.

I agree 100% that Nuance is trying to monopolize the market, and by doing so, will in essence be the only deciding factor when it comes to our pay, or lack thereof. When only one king rules the kingdom, there is little you can do or say, save rolling with the punches until you decide you can't any longer. I am still employed at Nuance, but I am actively pursuing another career at this time.

Best of luck to all the Transcenders. I know my team at Transcend is amazing, as are the TLs, and I wish everyone the best with this transition.
I think this is the kinda post all Transcender - have been searching for
[ In Reply To ..]
Very, very informative. Boy am I glad I dont work for Nuance or Transcend at this point.

I hope hey dont buy out my company, the whole QA business, certain accts off limits by 10pm for US MTs, fear of running out of work at any given time and not being able to flex except weekends, and 0.41 cpl for everyone?

Gosh and you got folks complaining over at M-Modal and some of them are making more than 0.4cpl for editing.

Thats just too much, sounds like they audit you guys to death, every week, throughout the week at random and *if* you pass it with 99% you get incentive, well heck you should after going through all that.

I wouldn't even want the incentive, I would just rather they leave me alone. Not to scare anyone or tick anyone off but this sounds like the company from H*LL.
Okay... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Dear Thirdshift-Z:

Now this is what I have been looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to give us bankable info.
Thanks for this info! - apple
[ In Reply To ..]
I've had problems with Transcend since starting there a few months ago. They also overstaff on the account I'm on and also there is a lot of cherrypicking going on. I'm glad you have a great account and TL at Transcend, but it hasn't been the case for me. Of course, now, it's all going to change anyway.

I'm not going to mind the QA scores so much cause I'm not going to only focus on the incentive. It would be nice to have, but I'm just going to keep doing my best regardless.

I can't work third shift so hopefully the India problem won't be mine. They will find a way to shift more work to them though, so I'm hoping I can at least make a decent living.

I'm going to hope for the best and also keep hoping something comes up here locally at a small doctor's office where I will actually be paid for the job I do and the skills I have (a girl can dream) haha...
Thanks SO MUCH for this info. It helps - tremendously!! NM
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Transcend Submits Bid To Acquire Spheris
Apr 14, 2010

I wonder why Spheris went belly up. Did they offshore? http://www.fortherecordmag.com/news/041210_news.shtml ...

How Long Does It Take Nuance To Convert Platforms To Their Methods On Companies And Accounts Acquire
Sep 24, 2013

My company was acquired by Nuance a few months back and so far the only thing that has changed has been e-mail addresses.  Paystubs even still reflect our original company name.  Will they keep our proprietary platform or make us change to eScription soon?  Also, we're all ICs.  Does anyone know if we will be required to become Nuance employees at the first of the year?  ...

SPHERIS ON AUCTION BLOCK TODAY - Transcend Submits Bid To Acquire Spheris - See Press Release
Apr 13, 2010

HOT OFF THE PRESS SEE BELOW     Transcend Submits Bid to Acquire Spheris     ATLANTA, Apr 09, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- TRANSCEND SERVICES, INC. /quotes/comstock/15*!trcr/quotes/nls/trcr (TRCR 17.43, +0.13, +0.75%) , the third largest provider of medical transcription services to the U.S. healthcare market, announced today that it has submitted a bid to acquire substantially all of the assets of Nashville, Tennessee-based Spheris, Inc. and the stock of ...

Transcend MQ Or Nuance
Jul 28, 2011

I'm trying to decide whether to apply at Transcend, Nuance or MQ. Any  inputs from those MTs that work at these 3 companies? I would greatly appreciate your assistance as all 3 companies have contacted me and I'm very leery of Nuance because of the offshore connection. Does Transcend or MQ send our work offshore or are owned by offshore companies?  Thanks for your honesty.   ...

Transcend Or Nuance?.............sm
Nov 27, 2011

Having phone interviews tomorrow.....any input from knowledgeable MTs? I have not been in the job search for years, feel like a duck out of water....thank you for any input! ...

Is There Anything Better About Nuance Than Transcend?
Mar 07, 2012

I have a lump in my throat today about the merger.  I am wondering if there is anything positive that can come out of this.  Do part time workers receive any benefits?  Are there any typing accounts at Nuance or is it all VR?  TIA ...

Is Transcend Now Nuance? Nm
Jun 02, 2012

nm ...

Transcend QA/Nuance
Jun 11, 2012

Well, well, well.  Looks like some of the Transcend QA hagathas must be QAing Nuance's work now because they are marking off for every little thing!  I get marked off because I forgot to add a dash.  THIS IS RIDICULOUS!  I was QC myself but went back to being an MT due to the low pay per hour, and I just noticed this.  They want to make sure no one will ever get that bonus it looks like! ...

Nuance Versus Transcend?
Jun 23, 2011

Any thoughts on these 2 companies? Which one would you consider to be the lesser of 2 evils? TIA! ...

Transcend Versus Nuance
Dec 14, 2011

I am thinking about both Nuance and Transcend.  Does anyone like working for Nuance?  Does anyone have any advice?  Left MQ - looking for something better. ...

TRANSCEND BOUGHT OUT BY NUANCE
Mar 07, 2012

Transcend employees received notification this morning that Transcend is being bought out by Nuance. Transition expected to happen during the second half of Nuance's fiscal year 2012. Those of you with Nuance - is this a good thing? ...

Transcend/Nuance Web Sites Down?
May 21, 2012

Can't get into beyond text or the MLS site.  Any problems known? ...

64 Bit -- Compatible With Transcend/Nuance??
Oct 03, 2012

just got a new computer, and realized the box says 64 bit -- I think i remember being told that is not compatible with the job stuff.  Do you know????  what is that mean anyway, "bit"? ...

Did Nuance Buy TransTech? Or Was That Transcend? Or Both? Nm
Nov 29, 2012

x ...

Does Anybody With Nuance/Transcend Have Enough Work
Nov 29, 2012

to actually make a living.  Before Nuance bought Transcend I almost always had PLENTY of work.  For the last month or so, work has been very, very, very scarce on a once very busy account.  Had the offer to be transferred to a different region, but who knows how the work load would be in another region.  I have a sinking feeling all the regions are pretty much the same.  Besides, I really like my supervisor and pretty much like the accounts I'm on.  Just not en ...

Nuance/Transcend/Accentus
Dec 08, 2012

As a Transcender being taken over by Nuance, I am appalled that we have received no word about anything other than we will start with a time clock. No word about how we will be compensated, only "rumors" which I am sick of. Now I see Accentus is still hiring, advertising and advertising a "holiday bonus". Well, I want a holiday bonus. I am affraid they are not telling us "facts" just to keep everyone from quitting at on time. ...

Nuance/Transcend Services
Mar 12, 2013

Please excuse if this is a duplicate message. I would like to find out from the MTs out there what their thoughts, suggestions, etc., are about Nuane/Transcend Services. I have recently learned that the current hospital I am doing transcription for is going to be outsourcing to this company. I would appreciate thoughts, concerns...no venting please. ...

Is Anyone From Transcend Thinking Of Applying At Nuance?
Mar 16, 2012

Just to go ahead and make the change and hopefully avoid some of the stress with the transition? I see that Nuance has ads up for MTs.  I'm also concerned about whether or not they will hire all MTs from Transcend during the buyout.   ...

Nuance/transcend Merger Info
Apr 17, 2012

News found on Google:  Nuance "extends" offer to Transcend, evidently it is not yet a done deal, here is a link:     http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fshar.es%2FrwD0G&h=pAQGzG3pfAQEOTCQ9kz0JWPU06iLpbFD9CLxvXyjRfb--cw ...

Nuance/Transcend Merger Back On
Apr 24, 2012

News is that Nuance waived their requirements so the merger is back on. Sorry to those from Transcend :(( ...

Transcend/Nuance - M-Modal Question.
Jun 20, 2012

When Wmx was taken over M-modal was taken from us.  Do you at Transcend still use it and are you having it taken away also?  ...

Stay Away From Transcend Services, Now Nuance
Oct 01, 2012

I formally worked for Transcend Services and would advise people not to work for this organization.  They are now switching over to Nuance, but stay away from them.  They are extremely critical of everything you do.  This is supposedly because they think they have such high standards, but they just enjoy being mean and critical to transcriptionists, who pay everyone's salaries.  They terrorized the transcriptionists with their QA reviews, so much so that many transcripti ...

Nuance Exec Salaries (formerly Transcend)
Oct 02, 2012

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/858452/000119312512123549/d317599dex99d5.htm   ...

Transcend/Nuance - Time Clock
Nov 25, 2012

Used to work for Transcend and loved that you input your own time card.  You could put down 8 hours even if it took you 10 to make your lines/$.  Sorry to see employees will now have to use that same stupid clock we all do.  Not hard, just a pain in the (&*&.   When we were acquired by Nuance we still use our old system with time clock built in and the new one too.  Then the reduction in wages.  All in all... not a joyful union.  My sympathies are ...

Latest Transcend/Nuance Insult
Dec 04, 2012

I am at about the last straw with this company.  Just a few minutes ago I got an e-mail from TSM about the "gym membership reimbursement" program.  It was to remind us "full-timers" to get our attendance records in to HR so that we can get reimbursement. Now, I have never even heard of this program.  I was a full-timer until earlier this year when I got knocked down to part-time because of their ridiculous $900 requirement, which they made impossible to reach with their %#@& ...

Transcend/Nuance Lawsuit Cancelled - Sm
Jan 27, 2015

I received an e-mail today basically saying the attorneys will not conduct a collective action lawsuit but that we are all free to file suit on our own. What a waste of time and what a joke. I figured this would be the case. So, once again, the big corporation wins and the cheated employeees lose. ...

Opinions On 3 Companies-Nuance, Transcend And MModal
Feb 01, 2012

I am currently an IC but seeking an employee position that offer a good workflow, decent insurance family rates and retirement plan.  Do any of these 3 companies offer anything like this? I hate going back out into an office but may have to.  It has occured to me as I am getting older that I have no retirement or decent insurance so something has to give. Opinions please. ...

What Was The Reason For The Transcend/Nuance Merge Or Buyout?
Mar 10, 2012

Are they saying its because of technology reasons? ...

Medquist/Nuance/Transcend/Softscript May1st
Apr 23, 2012

Ladies and Gents:  Inform yourself because what comes with doing so is fearlessness. Your manager knows that informed employees are dangerous.  Hence, why they do everything in their power to ensure you are not informed.  They love it when you go along without questioning and without educating yourself.  It allows their illegal behavior to continue.  Note the keyword ILLEGAL.  The people in leadership at these MTSOs are proving over and over that they are really ...

Question On Nuance QA Policy. I Am On Transcend Side
Oct 16, 2012

QA policy or certain percentage allowed to send to QA.  What exactly is the Nuance QA policy.  Does it only apply to bonus?  Thanks for any info you can share on this. ...