A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Stay away from Transcend Services, now Nuance - Nora Smith

Posted: Oct 01, 2012

I formally worked for Transcend Services and would advise people not to work for this organization.  They are now switching over to Nuance, but stay away from them.  They are extremely critical of everything you do.  This is supposedly because they think they have such high standards, but they just enjoy being mean and critical to transcriptionists, who pay everyone's salaries.  They terrorized the transcriptionists with their QA reviews, so much so that many transcriptionists refuse to do a lot of foreign doctors that might bring down their score.  I tried to do all the foreign doctors and was raked over the coals all the time.  The hospitals they type for also enjoy nitpicking every single error.  I had a QA review in July were I supposedly got a score of 96.6%.  Their standard is 98.5%.  I was told to get my score up or I would be terminated.  When I looked at the reports that QA did, I noticed extremely minimal errors, like putting 9/8 for September 8, and I only put it because the doctor said it.  So I corrected all the things they picked out and thought I was doing fine.  Then in September my manager, who is an extremely mean, evil person, did had one of her pets in QA do a review and said my score was still 96.6%.  I never got to see any of these reports or challenge anything.  There were no standards for QA.  I could ask 3 of them the same question and get 3 different answers.  Then she said I committed a HIPPA violation by putting the wrong doctor down for a copy.  I was doing another foreigner who didn't spell the name.  I supposedly sent a copy to ***** instead of ****.  I was fired immediately.  I told the manager I have multiple sclerosis and I will be homeless without a job.  Her answer was "too bad."  She has caused a lot of people to quit, but Transcend keeps her on for some reason.  I also don't think I committed any HIPPA violation, the hospital has the charts and access to the doctor. They need to check that out since I can't.  I think it was just blown out of proportion since that manager didn't like me. I had discussed by email with a former team lead who she managed to get rid of, about how she treated the transcriptionists badly and that they should get a raise sometime.  I also had asked my manager 3 times to be full time since I met their criteria of $900 a pay period.  That's why I was fired.  This is a really bad company and very stressful to work for. They will make sure you never make much money because you are spending most of your time trying to fine every little picky error in every report.  It's just not worth it. 

Transcend - Nora Smith

[ In Reply To ..]
I noticed *******'s name on here clear back in 2008. She has apparently been terrorizing people for years. Too bad someone like that makes the transcription field so difficult to work for.

Sending copy to the wrong doctor is a critical - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
error. If not HIPAA it is a HI-TECH error. I might not get fired but I would get written up if I did that. If you aren't 100 percent sure you blank it. Anyone should know that and you can't fairly blame the company for firing you for that.

I am sorry this happened to you but a - cc to a wrong physician is

[ In Reply To ..]
a critical error and this has been reiterated many, many times at Transcend. You have the option to place a blank if you cannot be 100% certain. You are not penalized for blanks at Transcend. I work on an account that has required monthly audits done, which I actually find helpful and does keep my on my toes. Quite honestly, if you were to cc the wrong physician in any other company, it's not going to be looked at as simply an "oops" error - it is critical, so it's not just an issue with Transcend. Good luck to you.

That kind of error is not actionable under HIPAA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It may be critical to Transcend, but HIPAA considers that kind of error to be incidental and not malicious. Following HiTech guidelines protects the sender from being cited for this kind of error. (Data transmitted electronically must be accompanied by a cover sheet detailing confidentiality parameters.)

Not all dictators are set up to receive cc copies - electronically. It is actionable.

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but you're wrong.
read breach exceptions here - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
"There are three exceptions to the definition of âbreach.â The first exception applies to the unintentional acquisition, access, or use of protected health information by a workforce member acting under the authority of a covered entity or business associate. The second exception applies to the inadvertent disclosure of protected health information from a person authorized to access protected health information at a covered entity or business associate to another person authorized to access protected health information at the covered entity or business associate. In both cases, the information cannot be further used or disclosed in a manner not permitted by the Privacy Rule. The final exception to breach applies if the covered entity or business associate has a good faith belief that the unauthorized individual, to whom the impermissible disclosure was made, would not have been able to retain the information."

The exception covers the physician who received the - inadvertant health record, not
[ In Reply To ..]
the person who incorrectly sent the info. Think about it, if every medical records dept in the country suddenly started sending patient's records to oops, the wrong physican intended, what is the purpose of privacy laws? For example, if a friend IMs you info on a patient with enough identifying information maybe that they thought was funny, etc., your obligation is to immediately close that IM window and report the receipt (unintentional on your part, but still reportable). YOU technically can be in breach of privacy laws if YOU don't report coming into that information without permission. A physician who receives a patient's record in error has the responsibility to report that immediately to the orignating source, who is not covered as an exception because of an oops.
did you just stop reading before exception #2? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Unintentional disclosures have nothing whatsoever to do with some rogue employee sharing protected medical information! I'm afraid you don't know what you are talking about.
As a matter of fact, part of my job is recording and reporting - HIPAA violations within our system.
[ In Reply To ..]
I assure you, I know what I'm talking about. Apparently, we will have to agree to disagree :-)
The second exception is pretty clear. - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
The second exception covers the "oops" (inadvertant disclosure) coming from an authorized person...being made to another authorized person (the doctor)....

You say your job involves dealing with these issues? How come you don't get this, then?

well - lemme see

[ In Reply To ..]
You made errors, one of them a critical HIPAA error, and didn't mean the QA scores and this is NOT your fault but the fault of the evil, wishing-you-fail members of your team, is that right?

I have MS, too. My scores are 99.5% to 100% consistently. If I make an error, it's MY error, not the QA people for catching the error.

I'm sorry you couldn't cut it, but let's call a spade a spade, YOU COULDN'T CUT IT. That's not the fault of the company.

I wish you well as you job hunt.

Your meanness - luvyuh

[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious: Would you have said the things you said to that person (for example, YOU COULDN'T CUT IT) if you had been sitting across a table from her? There's a difference between telling it like it is and being just plain mean-spirited in your response. Maybe you need to order a copy of 'How To Win Friends and Influence People'--or at least look up the word 'empathy' before you pompously berate someone and then hypocritically wish them well. Now I'M going to say something mean-spirited. SELF-RIGHTEOUS PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME ACK. Ahhh...that felt good. Have a nice (you'll have to look the word 'nice' up since you obviously have no clue what it means) day!!!

Not the other poster - but

[ In Reply To ..]
I would have said it to her face. If you can't/won't do your job right, then one of the consequences is to not have a job anymore.

I'm not going to give someone "empathy" for their inability to accept the consequences of their own poor actions.
Btw - in addition
[ In Reply To ..]
It's called Personal Responsibility!

Unfortunately, the other posters are correct. It is a critical error, and sm - COMT

[ In Reply To ..]
a HIPAA violation, as it was explained to me. I did it a few years ago and fortunately was not fired, but it was stressed to me that such errors could not be tolerated. Most places send the faxes automatically, so the wrong doctor receives medical information on a patient that is not his/hers. I am sorry you got fired and sorry for your medical condition, but I cannot really say they are "evil." I hope you find a new job soon. Good luck!

not an actionable HIPAA violation - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
far too many people misunderstand HIPAA, particularly MTSOs.

Transcend/Nuance - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
As for me, I agree. They SUCK!!

Well - mumie

[ In Reply To ..]
What ever happened to personal responsibility?

All actions have consequences.

You couldn't do the job = you got fired.

How is that the company's fault?

Can't bring myself to work for them - Just my 4 cents

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for Transcend after a buyout, left for another MTSO, then left transcription altogether for 1 year. I applied to Nuance but just can't bring myself to follow through with testing and the rest because of the crappiness I went through with Transcend that seems to be exponentially amplified with the Nuance acquisition. I have a great primary career outside of MT now and it would be nice to make extra money when I'm just sitting around on evenings and weekends, but the stress for the low pay isn't worth it.

AGREE - STAY AWAY FROM TRANSCEND/NUANCE - Ex

[ In Reply To ..]
I am one who firmly believes you should own up to your own actions. That goes for both sides. TRANSCEND needs to own up to the fact that THEY treat some of their employees very UNFAIRLY. I had a 99.7% QA score and was being nitpicked to death. They treated me so badly that I am considering seeking legal action against them. I am so NOT someone who does that but if you knew just SOME of the things I was told and things that were done to me with truly NO provocation, you'd be stunned. Anyway, my point is...STAY AWAY...RUN AWAY...FAR, FAR, FAR AWAY....

Yes, you did commit a HIPAA violation - Yoda

[ In Reply To ..]
I am very sorry for your situation, but yes, you did commit a HIPAA violation. You need to own what you did.

WISHED I WOULD HAVE SAW THIS SOONER. - See msg.

[ In Reply To ..]
I was hired there and thankfully and I do mean thankfully!! I quit on day three. I had a bad feeling about them, very bad. The trainer was very rude and said things to me about other trainee's that were inappropriate and unprofessional. I did not like the way they had the time clock set up.

You were only allowed to enter the amount of time that corresponded with the lines produced. For example, if you are having a bad day, work is slow and you are getting a bunch of crappy dictators and it takes you 8.5 hours to get your line count instead of 8, you could only enter 8hrs and not the 8.5 you actually worked.

In my opinion that is their way of getting out of paying overtime or bringing a person up to minimum wage when they are new-hires/training. A very bad vibe with that company. And when I quit, someone sent me a very nasty email. To this day I still dont know who the lady was, but it wasn't the trainer. Just glad I quit and didn't stick around long enough to find out.

Similar Messages:

Nuance/Transcend Services
Mar 12, 2013

Please excuse if this is a duplicate message. I would like to find out from the MTs out there what their thoughts, suggestions, etc., are about Nuane/Transcend Services. I have recently learned that the current hospital I am doing transcription for is going to be outsourcing to this company. I would appreciate thoughts, concerns...no venting please. ...

Any POSITIVE Feedback Regarding Transcend Services
Nov 05, 2009

I am looking for any POSITIVE feedback regarding Transcend Services.  However, ANY feedback is welcome.  Also any info on their BeyondTXT system would be appreciated.  ...

Go With TTS Or Stay With Nuance? Sm
Aug 20, 2013

I saw job ad for TTs and they are offering 1st shift, M-F, which I have been trying to get at Nuance. I don't care who I work for since all these companies pay the same crap wages with the same day-to-day drama. What would you do? ...

Recent Information On Working For Transcend Services?
Dec 10, 2010

Does anyone have recent information on working for Transcend Services?  Thanks. ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

Nuance Transcription Services - Anyone Knows About Them
Jul 23, 2012

has anyone heard of Nuance?  They supposedly have added Transcend Services to their company.  I saw an ad where they are hiring, and just wondered if anyone knows about them.  Been with my company now for several years, but keep running out of work, and so I'm looking elsewhere.  thanks ! ...

Nuance Transcription Services - Frustrated With This Place
Mar 29, 2011

I need to know if it is just me.  I am so frustrated with this place.  I thought I would enjoy getting paid by the line instead of hourly, but they just seem to do what they can to slow us down.  They are constantly changing the account's specifics so you have to stop and read a paragraph before you can type EACH report.  Also, constantly changing your account.....today you are on _____, then tomorrow without warning you are on _____.  Also, it seems like every QC has a different way o ...

Nuance Transcription Services Is A Legitimate Company?
Jul 21, 2011

Does anyone out there know if Nuance (out of Massachusetts) is a legitimate company? ...

Resolve To Make A Fresh Start For 2013! Map Your Career Path With Nuance Transcription Services
Jan 05, 2013

Resolve to make a fresh start for 2013! Map your career path with Nuance Transcription Services!  As if I any one in their right mind wants to work for a company with such high standards that they are unattainable to most.   This underpaying J.O.B. is really not blowing my skirt up anymore!   ...

Why Does My W2 Say "Transcend Services?"
Jan 21, 2014

I thought I worked for Nuance, not Transcend? I was hired by Nuance 3 years ago. I've never worked for Transcend. ...

Transcend MQ Or Nuance
Jul 28, 2011

I'm trying to decide whether to apply at Transcend, Nuance or MQ. Any  inputs from those MTs that work at these 3 companies? I would greatly appreciate your assistance as all 3 companies have contacted me and I'm very leery of Nuance because of the offshore connection. Does Transcend or MQ send our work offshore or are owned by offshore companies?  Thanks for your honesty.   ...

Transcend Or Nuance?.............sm
Nov 27, 2011

Having phone interviews tomorrow.....any input from knowledgeable MTs? I have not been in the job search for years, feel like a duck out of water....thank you for any input! ...

Is There Anything Better About Nuance Than Transcend?
Mar 07, 2012

I have a lump in my throat today about the merger.  I am wondering if there is anything positive that can come out of this.  Do part time workers receive any benefits?  Are there any typing accounts at Nuance or is it all VR?  TIA ...

Is Transcend Now Nuance? Nm
Jun 02, 2012

nm ...

Transcend QA/Nuance
Jun 11, 2012

Well, well, well.  Looks like some of the Transcend QA hagathas must be QAing Nuance's work now because they are marking off for every little thing!  I get marked off because I forgot to add a dash.  THIS IS RIDICULOUS!  I was QC myself but went back to being an MT due to the low pay per hour, and I just noticed this.  They want to make sure no one will ever get that bonus it looks like! ...

Nuance Versus Transcend?
Jun 23, 2011

Any thoughts on these 2 companies? Which one would you consider to be the lesser of 2 evils? TIA! ...

Transcend Versus Nuance
Dec 14, 2011

I am thinking about both Nuance and Transcend.  Does anyone like working for Nuance?  Does anyone have any advice?  Left MQ - looking for something better. ...

Nuance To Acquire Transcend
Mar 07, 2012

nm ...

TRANSCEND BOUGHT OUT BY NUANCE
Mar 07, 2012

Transcend employees received notification this morning that Transcend is being bought out by Nuance. Transition expected to happen during the second half of Nuance's fiscal year 2012. Those of you with Nuance - is this a good thing? ...

Transcend/Nuance Web Sites Down?
May 21, 2012

Can't get into beyond text or the MLS site.  Any problems known? ...

64 Bit -- Compatible With Transcend/Nuance??
Oct 03, 2012

just got a new computer, and realized the box says 64 bit -- I think i remember being told that is not compatible with the job stuff.  Do you know????  what is that mean anyway, "bit"? ...

Did Nuance Buy TransTech? Or Was That Transcend? Or Both? Nm
Nov 29, 2012

x ...

Does Anybody With Nuance/Transcend Have Enough Work
Nov 29, 2012

to actually make a living.  Before Nuance bought Transcend I almost always had PLENTY of work.  For the last month or so, work has been very, very, very scarce on a once very busy account.  Had the offer to be transferred to a different region, but who knows how the work load would be in another region.  I have a sinking feeling all the regions are pretty much the same.  Besides, I really like my supervisor and pretty much like the accounts I'm on.  Just not en ...

Nuance/Transcend/Accentus
Dec 08, 2012

As a Transcender being taken over by Nuance, I am appalled that we have received no word about anything other than we will start with a time clock. No word about how we will be compensated, only "rumors" which I am sick of. Now I see Accentus is still hiring, advertising and advertising a "holiday bonus". Well, I want a holiday bonus. I am affraid they are not telling us "facts" just to keep everyone from quitting at on time. ...

Is Anyone From Transcend Thinking Of Applying At Nuance?
Mar 16, 2012

Just to go ahead and make the change and hopefully avoid some of the stress with the transition? I see that Nuance has ads up for MTs.  I'm also concerned about whether or not they will hire all MTs from Transcend during the buyout.   ...

Nuance/transcend Merger Info
Apr 17, 2012

News found on Google:  Nuance "extends" offer to Transcend, evidently it is not yet a done deal, here is a link:     http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fshar.es%2FrwD0G&h=pAQGzG3pfAQEOTCQ9kz0JWPU06iLpbFD9CLxvXyjRfb--cw ...

Nuance/Transcend Merger Back On
Apr 24, 2012

News is that Nuance waived their requirements so the merger is back on. Sorry to those from Transcend :(( ...

Transcend/Nuance - M-Modal Question.
Jun 20, 2012

When Wmx was taken over M-modal was taken from us.  Do you at Transcend still use it and are you having it taken away also?  ...

Nuance Exec Salaries (formerly Transcend)
Oct 02, 2012

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/858452/000119312512123549/d317599dex99d5.htm   ...

Transcend/Nuance - Time Clock
Nov 25, 2012

Used to work for Transcend and loved that you input your own time card.  You could put down 8 hours even if it took you 10 to make your lines/$.  Sorry to see employees will now have to use that same stupid clock we all do.  Not hard, just a pain in the (&*&.   When we were acquired by Nuance we still use our old system with time clock built in and the new one too.  Then the reduction in wages.  All in all... not a joyful union.  My sympathies are ...