A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Nuance good or bad - MLS20+years

Posted: Jan 15, 2015

I've been an MLS for 24 years.  Been with the same company working from home for the last 13 years.  Continuing to run out of work every day.  Looking for new company.  Have a potential job offer from Nuance.  Everything sounds good, but then I look up reviews!  Does anyone work as an MLS for Nuance?  Can you please tell me the absolute truth about the pay, QA, etc. etc.

It sucks. Go to Nuance board. - No message.

[ In Reply To ..]
Run.

and dont run to MMoral - they suck, too

[ In Reply To ..]
bigtime, even worse with the advent of the POD people.

The Truth... - HateThisPlace

[ In Reply To ..]
Let us start with pay...I don't know what I make anymore, because it changes on a weekly basis--yes, weekly. How? Pay is based on a number of metrics from the previous week including lines per hour, submission of jobs to QC (because I cannot understand something, or verify something, the audio is poor or the dictator makes an error) which has to be less than 10% of my total lines, and a quality % which is supposed to be over 99.3% I believe (not really sure). My lines are no longer my lines--they are converted using some ridiculously complex system that was set up for "patient safety" and to be "transparent." I cannot see through it at all.

I have no way to listen to any "errors" I am charged with. I just have to take the QA reviewer's word for it. QA can be ridiculously picky and I stopped requesting reversals because I was not granted them any longer.

Threatening emails: ADHERE TO YOUR SCHEDULE. AVOID MUP (make up pay if you don't make enough lines to achieve minimum wage). REMEMBER THE METRICS. Weekly scorecards... full of passive/aggressiveness......."if you are not meeting your metrics, you will hear from me and HR." In the same email, "Reach out to me to see if I can help..." to which there is never a reply from the TSM.

The weekly scorecard...this has my scheduled hours, my server hours, my quality %, QC submission %, total lines and a whole bunch of other numbers and % ....I don't even know what they are. You can see everyone's scores by employee number. In other words, I feel like there is a camera on my computer and someone is watching everything I do ---just waiting for me to make a "mistake."

I don't even want to go on anymore...there is so much more...

Its okay - ac

[ In Reply To ..]
The QA depends on your account. Some will have easier QA and some not. You want to get an account that has little ESL. The ESL accounts will make you loose money because you will have over 10% QA submission, and lower accuracy score overall. I have an acct that is mostly English, easy clinic notes. I can make up to 20/hr. Usually its in the 18-20 range. I do get weeks where my QA percentage is just 10.3 and my pay goes down to 7 cents a line. But I could avoid that by starting to calculate my percentages.

ESL accounts make it a waste of time - some really suck!!! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yes they do, I avoid them if I can! Thats why its good to have more than one account - ac
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Even with multiple accounts... - mom22
[ In Reply To ..]
Even if you have multiple accounts, you have to hope and pray you have enough work, especially on holidays, to keep you busy because what you will end up with is some specialty you have no clue about or those that sit there like moldy cheese in the fridge...the mumblers, the nonsensical ones, and yes, the ones who cannot speak the language.

thruth! - Liddle

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, they are bad, seems like Precyse is heading in the same direction.....except there hasn't been a pay cut yet, but they did take our $50 bonus, and quality has been increased to 98.5%. Lines required were recently increased, its getting to be, or I should said, its been ridiculous........where will it end?

AMEN TO ALL ABOVE - BS

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate this place as well!!!!

Depends on what you are looking for - mom22

[ In Reply To ..]
My honest opinion is there is a large problem with this company. They have ulterior motives that none of us know about. All our exclusives were taken away, and now we get doctors and specialties that even our own QA people can't understand! It keeps our line counts down. Then you have your "free" lines...QT lines that are based on 0.125 of your total QT lines even if you manipulate them, which again, brings your lines down. Then you have QA that doesn't want you to send to QA because if you send to QA, it counts against you, and if you have more than 10% in a week, you are stuck at 7 cents. Then you have audits....which normally happen on Friday, and it will be commas, etc., that have no bearing on anything and don't need to be there, but every single note they audit, I fail by just a fraction. Why? Because low lines, high QA, and low audit scores keep you at 7 cents. Don't even get me started on MUP reports which say if you are working so hard to fill in blanks because you have no clue how to do an account or have to read specs, etc., and you don't make minimum wage, and we have to kick in, you GO ON A REPORT. Too many times, and you're fired. The TSMs can't help, or won't, and no one knows how this is supposed to be good for quality.

In other words, they will keep your pay down in one of 4 ways, with the constant threat of if you do this too many times, you are fired. Loyalty, hard working, and dependable MTs don't matter. I've been in this for 25 years, and I made 10% what I did when I started. I cannot pay my bills. I do not get days off (you work EVERY day, including holidays), and it is hands down the worst place I have ever worked in my life.

That is the honest truth from someone who does not like change and likes to stick it out. If it sounds good, it normally isn't.

Find anything positive on the Nuance board. Just try! Not only that, look up the reputation of Nuance, their CEO being named top #5 worst of 2015. Do your research. You don't have to take one person's word for it. Here, you have many.

Low pay, high stress, and still have OOW situations (where you don't get paid anything). I don't see it as a benefit, but then that is up to you. I say steer clear.

I'm content. Have been here a few years. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
But I'm sure I'll get bashed for saying I'm happy at Nuance.

That's the problem with these boards. It's where people to go vent. If you do not join in the negativity, then you will be accused of lying, of being a suit, or worse.

Again, I'm content.

Let the bashing begin.

Thank you - Refreshed

[ In Reply To ..]
That's refreshing to hear. Thank you for sharing that. :)

OMG...too funny..."refreshing" ??? LOL - So there is ONE person

[ In Reply To ..]
who comes on and says there are "content" for about every 20...

Makes me really wonder......

There is NO point in posting positive comments - on this board. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Your reply is a good example why.

Those that are happy with their positions at Nuance stay away from these boards.

I personally know several coworkers who don't bother with posting here.
Exactly my point...I am the one to whom you - are replying....
[ In Reply To ..]
Now that we have that straight....

It's a well known fact this is basically a VENT board.....I am sure there are people who are happy here...I was at one point until fairly recently. I am sure the ones who are happy realize this and stay away like you say. And there is always someone like you who has to once again make note that "there is no point in saying anything positive here." Well, you are right!!!

I have been here 4 years... - qb

[ In Reply To ..]
And to be quite honest, the first 3-1/2 were really enjoyable. I had a good primary account, a lovely TSM, and was pretty much left alone to do my job. I was rarely OOW and it was not difficult to receive the weekly incentive.

The last 6 months have been a complete opposite from my first 3 years. My primary account is OOW often, and my secondaries are full of very difficult ESLs and account specifics with 25 and 37 pages to rifle through in order to complete a brief 2-3 minute report, but those seem to be the accounts I'm in most of late. My wonderful TSM has been moved to a different group and my new one doesn't respond to emails, is rarely on our instant messaging system, very difficult to get any help from her.

It's difficult to say what the pay actually is. We have multiple pages of charts, grids, factors for this and that, it takes an accounting degree to figure out your pay...and depending on what the the person auditing your work thinks, your pay could swing widely a couple of hundred dollars based on 1 word in 1 report.

I've been in this business for nearly 20 years, and I've never made this little money, never felt so degraded and belittled in my audits where missing a comma or a capital letter realistically can be the difference in $200 more in my check or $200 less. Basically, they want to pay no more than your state's minimum wage...but you are threatened with your job if they have to provide you with make up pay.

I've been looking nonstop for another job for almost a month, I can put up with a lot of corporate BS, but when my pay and my ability to meet my bills and take care of my family hinge on what a QA person in India thinks, it's time to hit the road. Good luck if you choose to go with Nuance, maybe you can have a better experience than I've had over the past few months.

I was content for a while--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I liked my account and was left alone to work. The pay stank but it stank no matter where you were.

That account was off-shored completely so I gave my new account my best shot and I liked that account too. That account went to Epic, completely so I moved to a new account.

I admit at the new account, I was a bit disgruntled for a while. I had only been on the old account 6-9 months. It is hard to build up speed when moving all the time. Eventually, I came to like the new account and eventually got my production up. Then I got a call from my supervisor that I was on the list of people who were going to be switching accounts due to the lack of work. Not only did I get to switch accounts but I had to learn a new platform.

At this point, my good attitude is gone. I can no longer overlook the nitpicky QA stuff that is incredibly stupid. Leaving out words like includes or significant for is not a major deal, once told, yes I can try to make it in there but they are making mountains out of mole hills and I am just no longer compensated enough to really care.

Don't do it! - BS

[ In Reply To ..]
They make EVERYTHING sound great but in reality they are horrible!!! I have worked for them for 4 years and have watched my paycheck decrease to the point where I can go to Wal-Mart and work for the same $$$. The ONLY reason I am still here is because I'm retiring very soon. Otherwise I would tell them what they can do with their job. They lie about everything and we get nothing but canned responses - it's like working for the "Stepford" company! QA is ridiculous and if you make one little mistake, your score and pay goes down drastically! Good luck, but I would stay away from Nuance.

Similar Messages:

Good-by, Nuance
Nov 17, 2014

I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.  ...

Nuance...good Or Bad To Work For?
Jul 12, 2011

Hi - I am looking for recent and current info on Nuance.  I have heard good things about them and bad, but want to hear from someone who currently works there.  Do they make you stick to a certain schedule or are they flexible?  How is QA?  Do the account managers or team leads have multiple accounts to oversee or just 1 or 2?  How is their communication?  Are they friendly enough that one could possible enjoy their job again? Thanks in advance for any information ...

Nuance What's The Good News?
Apr 12, 2013

I really appreciate all the replies, good and bad.  I guess the good new is we the displaced have time on our sides in that we have 58 days to make a decision about our future employment, I believe the union did get us that.  I'm definitely going to look at other companies, possibly independent contractor positions.  There are some leaving who have kids/families they are supporting, I am 59, only support myself so I have that at least.  Appreciate MTStars board. ...

Nuance - What's The Good News?
Apr 11, 2013

We got the news yesterday, offered jobs at Nuance doing our same doctors.  I understand we have to clock in, and will now have to pay for insurance, internet not reimbursed, less pay, very large company.  We work on Escription with small amount of straight typing. They say will transfer our seniority, etc.  I have read on this board in the past that thngs may start out well but don't neccesarrily stay that way, things go downhill.  I would love hear from someone who works there and like ...

Is There Anything Good About M-Modal And Nuance?
Dec 25, 2013

I've reached the point where I'll work for almost any company, even M-Modal or Nuance, if it means I can get a steady paycheck.  My current company is going down the tubes fast.  I've hung in here as long as I possibly can, but I think it's an exercise in futility.  Does anyone at M-Modal or Nuance have any positive experiences, or is it really as bad as all the posts make it sound?  Surely there must be "something" good, or they wouldn't have so man ...

Has Anyone Ever Had A GOOD Experience With Nuance
Feb 18, 2015

Please let me know ...

Is Nuance A Good Place To Work As A QC Editor?
Feb 18, 2013

Is Nuance a good place to work as a QC editor? Has anyone been a QC editor for them before or is one currently? How is the pay? I saw it says hourly. ...

Nuance Disincentivizes Good MTs To Do Extra Work/OT
Mar 14, 2014

My primary right now has a lot of work. I would like nothing more than to work until midnight and clear the work.  Pre FIESA I would have done so. However, I lost the production bonus for this quarter (and boy that hurts - that is $50-100 a week I am missing) and I am probably one error (and we know how easy that is when you are doing a lot of work) from getting next quarter's taken away, so no thank you. I assume they will get me anyway, probably the last few days of the month when I ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

IMEDX Takeover...I Don't Have A Good Feeling About This. Does Anyone Have A Good Sm
Jul 07, 2012

experience with this company.  Sounds like they suck up our accounts and then pay us less than pennies to clean up the trash.  ...

Good Friday; Good Bye Spheris
Apr 02, 2010

Well Good Friday to me.  I left Spheris.  It is indeed the best Friday for me in a very long time.  I've had it with their lousy platform, Mafia QA (they try their best to kill your spirit), mandatory this, mandatory that, do this, don't do that, change this, don't change that; no, don't change this, don't change that, and on and on and on, and now their bankruptcy.  No PTO for the next 4 months to keep the clients satisfied during ...

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

I Know The Nuance Questions Are Getting Old, But Just One More, Does Nuance Pay Shift Differential F
Mar 09, 2012

that fall during the shift.  For example, if half of your hours fall in 3rd shift and half fall in 1st shift, do the 3rd shift hours pay more cpl?  Or, do all hours have to fall within the shift to qualify?  Thanks, Yet another sad Transcend employee... ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

"Consider Returning To Nuance" - Just Received Email From Nuance
Jun 27, 2014

Wow. Posted this on company board but wanted to post here as well - some of you may feel vindicated. LPn ...

Good Bye MT
Nov 02, 2009

I so look forward to these last 5 years going by fast:  Going back to college to get a  degree and walking away from MT never looking back.  If it wasnt for paying for my schooling, I'd be out of this by now.  If things get too bad I'd consider cutting lunch meat, stocking shelves at the neighborhood grocery store, whatever.  The only up side to my 10+ years of doing MT work has been able to stay home for my kids and making pocket change.&nb ...

Is This Good Pay Or Bad Pay???
Nov 11, 2009

.50 to .75 a page for legal for corporate: .40 to 1.00 per minute 0.0030 or 0.0040 per word.   I am so confused on whether this is good pay or not...help!     Thank you ...

Is This Good New Or Not?
Feb 17, 2010

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/02/15/daily9.html DO YOU THINK BELOW ARTICLE MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH SOME OF US MT'S SENDING IN EMAILS TO THAT ONE POST MENTIONED A WEEK AGO TO A REPORTER?  A Massachusetts company says proposed procedures for selling the assets of bankrupt Spheris Inc. are unfair and discourage others from bidding on the Franklin-based medical transcription company. Nuance Communications Inc., a maker of speech recognition software, fi ...

Who Is MQ ASR Good For?
Jul 01, 2010

Makes no difference that I know of to the dictator.  Doesn't save him or her any money. Probably a negative for the patient, as I sincerely believe there is a bigger chance of their medical record being less than accurate. Sure is not a plus for us MT/ME's, except those extremely few who seem to have the right account, I would venture a guess of about 5% of us.  The only positive I see is to the client.  They are getting lied to, that if they go with ASR, it is such a g ...

Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get A Good
Apr 03, 2010

I have a trial version now, and I need it in 5 days.  Is it better to download from a website or get the "hard copy" and install?  I don't have a lot of money to spend. ...

GOOD BYE ALL!!!!!
Jun 23, 2011

IM   D O N E  with all this at mtstars !!!! ...

I Can't Be THAT Good!
Oct 13, 2010

Y'all are freaking me out!  All this talk about PM and being watched when uploading or downloading a job, etc. etc. etc.  I am only a lowly second-tier MT.  I have been corrected a lot and it's all valid -- or an opinion based correction.  All my corrections have fallen in the minor minor category, but the way y'all talk you'd think I'd be let go by now.  OMG people!  Our QA person just transferred to some other department, and I suspect all ...

Does Anyone Have Anything Good To Say
Mar 19, 2011

At least they bothered to get back to me.   ...

Trying To Be A Good MME
Jun 11, 2011

I have been an MT for 8 years before moving up to the MME position recently.  I told myself that I would never nitpick as I experienced in the past.  I still hold true to that.  We are to only fill in the blanks unless we note an obvious error, then its full QA, except we get paid the fill-in-the-blank line rate rather than 100% QA line rate (3 cpl rather than 4).  However, if we fill in the blank and NOT catch an error that is caught on the MTs audit, we get clobbered ( ...

So Far So Good...
Sep 22, 2011

So I'm the new employee that posted a week or so ago. So far things are going good. Still in training so we will see. I do love the software and since I'm new, ASR is really the only thing I know, so I enjoy it. By the way the comedy stop section is histerical...it's a great way to end the week:) ...

Good-bye.
Dec 02, 2011

The obvious but the only thing that comes to mind now. ...

Something Good...
Dec 14, 2011

awhile back, i had posted about how MQ had taken over the company that i worked for and cut our pay in half...well, i am very happy to say that today, they they reinstated to almost what we were making, and are making it retroactive... ...

I'm Getting Out Of The MT Biz For Good!
Jan 20, 2012

After struggling financially and being increasingly unhappy with my job for three years (yes, only three years) I am officially DONE with MT work. I have other skills that would be more fullfilling to pursue and i'm going to do it. Honestly, i'd settle for a job at a grocery store at this point. At least i'd have a steady paycheck. I don't know if it's just me, but the monotony of this job makes me crazy. Just doing the same thing all day, every day, no socialization, QA ...