A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Nuance what's the good news? - Displaced

Posted: Apr 12, 2013

I really appreciate all the replies, good and bad.  I guess the good new is we the displaced have time on our sides in that we have 58 days to make a decision about our future employment, I believe the union did get us that.  I'm definitely going to look at other companies, possibly independent contractor positions.  There are some leaving who have kids/families they are supporting, I am 59, only support myself so I have that at least.  Appreciate MTStars board.

If you have the opportunity to take UE - I would do it

[ In Reply To ..]
I know at least one person personally and also from what I have read on these boards that if you accept their offer, THEN realize the inevitable (that your pay and benefits have turned to less than half or nothing of what you had, that you are being treated like a naughty idiot who doesn't care about patients when you make one little mistake and your years of experience, skill, and seniority mean zilch) you will regret not going on unemployment so you have plenty of time to get a better position.

I was bought out by Nuance and my company cleverly gave us "bonuses" for 6 months so we could "get up to speed" (in reality so we wouldn't realize what was happening, which was we were forced into a grossly inferior job without any choice in the matter, without even realizing it was happening). If your company/hospital gives you a choice to take unemployment I would definitely take it. Also, if there is an option to be an IC because you are of value to the account, that is another good option - at least you maintain some control and I imagine much better pay.

I personally do not think there are any more good MT jobs out there anymore, i.e. I went from $20+ to $10-15 per hour in a few short months, but now I am just working more hours with a second job and realizing that where I live I would not get paid more then $10 an hour for any job anyway and I would end up having to pay commuting costs, etc. Plus I love what I do and will keep doing it until it is COMPLETELY obsolete instead of just mostly.

Good luck!

union didn't do - anything

[ In Reply To ..]
Same thing happened to me. The 60 days is required by the dept of labor in these situations. You do not have to go with the company they are outsourcing to so check out what your ballpark UE weekly benefit might be in your state and maybe that will allow you to find a good job. Massachusetts has the highest weekly benefit in the country and other states, like Florida for example, have the lowest. The union rep was at our meeting, didn't know why, but when he discovered why, he said, "the hospital can outsource at any time."

"...60 days is required by the dept of labor..." - Des

[ In Reply To ..]

Your statement is not quite accurate.

I copied this info from a USDoL fact sheet...

"...for 50-499 employees if they make up at least 33% of the employer's active workforce..."

I have no doubt that a hospital which requires 57 MTs would have less than 200 total employees, i.e. "33% of the employer's active workforce."

I believe that the 60 days was given to these MTs as a courtesy, and they should be grateful. When we were outsourced to MedQuist, we were given 2-1/2 weeks.

Be Careful - BoNanna

[ In Reply To ..]
If you take UE for a long period of time, you might have trouble getting back into MT again. There are not a lot of good jobs out there even with a good education. It is easier to get a new job if you already have one but not the other way around. Just something to think about.

60 days - Whomovedmycheese

[ In Reply To ..]
As one of the 57 I am very grateful for the 60 days. It makes a big difference. I'm losing about 225 plus days of major sick leave I would have collected at retirement in about 3 years. Never used one hour of it.

Similar Messages:

Nuance - What's The Good News?
Apr 11, 2013

We got the news yesterday, offered jobs at Nuance doing our same doctors.  I understand we have to clock in, and will now have to pay for insurance, internet not reimbursed, less pay, very large company.  We work on Escription with small amount of straight typing. They say will transfer our seniority, etc.  I have read on this board in the past that thngs may start out well but don't neccesarrily stay that way, things go downhill.  I would love hear from someone who works there and like ...

Transolutions--applied And Tested--no News Good News? Anyone Else Heard? Nm
Mar 10, 2011

nm ...

Good News!
Apr 05, 2011

McDonald's adding 50,000 new jobs!  Yay!  ...

Possible Good News
Mar 19, 2014

I interviewed for a job at a local, major hospital.  It was interesting to learn that the HIM department is in the process of bringing transcription back in house, at least partially.  It was claimed that their transcription company was not doing a satisfactory job.  This might be good news my MT friends.  Maybe this will be a trend?   I'm certainly hoping so and I mentioned how excited I was about the possibility of in-house transcription jobs being available in th ...

Any Good News For The Future Of MT?
Dec 07, 2009

I've been following the MT boards and what I mostly read are MTs complaining about losing jobs, lower pay scales, outsourcing, offshoring, voice recognition, electronic records, and other technology enhancements that seem to be putting MTs out of work.  Is there any future for the MT profession?  Is there any good news or is this profession going the way of the buggy whip?  I would certainly like to read some good news about the future prospects of MT. Thanks Hopeful in Hob ...

Good News About Precyse?
Sep 09, 2010

I applied at Precyse and passed the test. Can someone give me the lowdown? How are the pay and benefits? Is management alright? Any recent updates would be helpful. Thank you! ...

Hopefully Good News For The MT World!!
Mar 31, 2011

So I was at a local clinic today that had switched over to a dropdown menu system and templates for their doctors a couple years ago and had laid off their transcriptionists and the doctor was just typing away in his template and of course I had to mention how as a medical transcriptionist this really bothered me.  He told me that many of the doctors there were unhappy with the new system and had gone back to dictating and that they were more than likely going to be hiring transcriptionists ...

Good News For M-Modalers
Apr 01, 2013

If you received an E-mail from your TCM this weekend about how you are expected to be logged in for your entire shift every single day, no more, no less, print out that e-mail right away and save it! Do not delay! Be sure to log into your time sheet on time and be sure you log in your 8 hours (or whatever your shift is) and also stay logged on your network whether there is work or not, and get a print out from the network at the end of the workday to document that you were logged in the enti ...

Keystrokes - Any Good News On Them?
May 07, 2013

I've actually worked for them in the past, horrible experience with my team lead - who sucked, and my account, which was an overflow account - which they didn't tell me when they hired me.  So needless to say, I sat most of the time without work.  So I didn't last long there, as we obviously need work to make money.  I'm looking for an employee position, as I'm sick of owing taxes as an IC.  Do they have straight typing there or is it mostly VR?   ...

Good News! Smartype Is Back!
Feb 18, 2012

I'm so happy there is a new version of Smartype that has been released. It now works with newer versions of Word, i.e. Word 2007 and 2010 and works with other software including Outlook. It's even better than the original. I was using the old version of Smartype even though it had glitches when working with Word 2003. You can try it before you buy it, a definite plus. I highly recommend downloading this software. To me, it is a must for the medical transcriptionist to boost productivit ...

Any News, Good Or Bad, About Working For Proscript
Jul 19, 2012

. ...

Ran Into A Trauma Nurse Yesterday This Isn't Good News
Mar 31, 2013

Of course we start talking about everything. Well my local hospital surgeons no longer dictate. Their medical students follow them around and are in charge of keeping track of everything and then later going in and entering it in the computer. This is a HUGE group of hospitals and I am sure impacts a lot of us. Also, my local doctors have begun bringing their computers into the room when your in for whatever, and doing the paperwork right there, on your dime or the insurance companies dime, ...

Nuance In The News Again
Nov 12, 2014

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/7112077-74/excela-nuance-jennings#axzz3Inb8FMZc ...

Nuance In The News Again.
Nov 14, 2014

Responses to the original post include a copy of the article, not just the link. Oh, forgot, you might have to go down a ways on the page, as the discussion began on the 12th. Look for the initial post "Nuance in the news again," then the actual article appears in one of the subsequent posts.   ...

Nuance News Flash
Aug 03, 2012

OK Kids. How many of you honestly read the Nuance News Flash that our TLs send out?  Be honest now; how many of you like reading about how this technology is killing the transcription industry?   As for me, my BP goes up about 100 points whenever I get one! ...

Nuance In The News Today
Oct 20, 2014

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nuance-and-eclinicalworks-support-ama-guidelines-with-new-voice-enabled-mobile-apps-2014-10-20?reflink=MW_news_stmp ...

Nuance News (India) :(
May 01, 2015

http://m.deccanherald.com/content/474481/nts-hire-3000-staff-invest.html   ...

Nuance Stock News...interesting
Apr 25, 2013

Interesting article from WSJ about possible news of Nuance selling off parts of its holdings: (it is all conjecture at this point, but interesting that Goldman is often called in to make major changes, and sometimes it involves sale of parts or all of the company)   Nuance Communications Inc. NUAN +4.13%, the speech-recognition software maker in which investor Carl Icahn recently took a stake, is seeking advice from Goldman Sachs Group Inc. GS  ...

News Flash: Nuance Bayscribe MTs Have Had It! (nm)
Dec 16, 2014

x ...

Good-by, Nuance
Nov 17, 2014

I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.  ...

Nuance Good Or Bad
Jan 15, 2015

I've been an MLS for 24 years.  Been with the same company working from home for the last 13 years.  Continuing to run out of work every day.  Looking for new company.  Have a potential job offer from Nuance.  Everything sounds good, but then I look up reviews!  Does anyone work as an MLS for Nuance?  Can you please tell me the absolute truth about the pay, QA, etc. etc. ...

Nuance...good Or Bad To Work For?
Jul 12, 2011

Hi - I am looking for recent and current info on Nuance.  I have heard good things about them and bad, but want to hear from someone who currently works there.  Do they make you stick to a certain schedule or are they flexible?  How is QA?  Do the account managers or team leads have multiple accounts to oversee or just 1 or 2?  How is their communication?  Are they friendly enough that one could possible enjoy their job again? Thanks in advance for any information ...

Is There Anything Good About M-Modal And Nuance?
Dec 25, 2013

I've reached the point where I'll work for almost any company, even M-Modal or Nuance, if it means I can get a steady paycheck.  My current company is going down the tubes fast.  I've hung in here as long as I possibly can, but I think it's an exercise in futility.  Does anyone at M-Modal or Nuance have any positive experiences, or is it really as bad as all the posts make it sound?  Surely there must be "something" good, or they wouldn't have so man ...

Has Anyone Ever Had A GOOD Experience With Nuance
Feb 18, 2015

Please let me know ...

Is Nuance A Good Place To Work As A QC Editor?
Feb 18, 2013

Is Nuance a good place to work as a QC editor? Has anyone been a QC editor for them before or is one currently? How is the pay? I saw it says hourly. ...

Nuance Disincentivizes Good MTs To Do Extra Work/OT
Mar 14, 2014

My primary right now has a lot of work. I would like nothing more than to work until midnight and clear the work.  Pre FIESA I would have done so. However, I lost the production bonus for this quarter (and boy that hurts - that is $50-100 a week I am missing) and I am probably one error (and we know how easy that is when you are doing a lot of work) from getting next quarter's taken away, so no thank you. I assume they will get me anyway, probably the last few days of the month when I ...

Big ASR News
Jan 27, 2010

I opened a ticket yesterday for ASR, asking them to have H and H expand out to hemoglobin and hematocrit for my account, and less than 24 hours I got a message saying it was done! Unbelievable.    Seems crazy we would all have to do this, but if we all do this, maybe some positive change could actually come.    I gave them the account, an internal job number, and my contact number and just stated what the problem was.  My understanding is this was corrected for this ...

More Bad News For MQ MT/MEs
Jan 29, 2010

I got the below link from my MQ Google Alert.  If Speris tanks, there's gonna be a ton of MQs scrambling for jobs.  I'm sure the Q will see this as the perfect opportunity to cut our salaries again as we fear for our jobs. http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/02/01/story1.html?b=1265000400%5E2811471 ...

I've Got News For Everyone
Jul 10, 2011

Most of the companies are paying 8 cpl for transcription and 4 cpl for editing.  MQ is not going to stop until they reach that rate even though they may do it gradually as they have been doing. ...

ST MTs, Any News Yet??
Jun 07, 2012

Has anyone heard anything further about the work (or lack of) situation?  Was really low this pay period. ...