A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

No Choice but to go with Nuance - Grandfathered

Posted: May 25, 2015

Hello fellow MTs,

In July, the only Acute Care Hospitals left in my area have been taken over by Nuance.  Everything in my area has been taken over, as the rest of the country.

Basically, only the BIG GUYS are left anymore.  They are eating up the rest of the smaller transcription companies.

I have been a transcriptionist since the age of 21, back in the typewriter days.  I am now going to be 54 and have to stick it out until hopefully 60s.

I worked for MedQuist a few years back for about 3 months.  It was hard to change from the hospital mentality to a service one.

I was wondering who can tell me what about this "incentive program."  I know the work has to be there to even make incentive, but I was curious as to what Nuance MTs can tell me about it.

Just a few years back Nuance had the 4 cents "edited" and 6 cents "transcribed."  I just wonder what changes have been made and is anybody making GOOD Money.

A lot of MTs have no choice basically but to go with the service.  Unfortunately, sometimes we have to just take it and go with it because we are too old to start over in another field.

Thanks,

Terri (grandfathered in)

Depends on which platform you are on. - wtfe

[ In Reply To ..]
The FutureNet/Bayscribe platform has a different grid which is less lucrative than the other grid, as if anything about either grid could be called lucrative. You only get "on the grid" if you meet over 99% quality and less than 10% of work going to QC. Generally, if one does not knock you off, the other will. On the FN/B platform, there is the added bonus of having to meet production of over 150 lph. If that is not met, then you drop even further in line rate, as if there were a good line rate on that grid to start with.

With 6+ years left, I would look elsewhere. Nuance is not worth the 6 years. Also, we are halfway into the year. By December, they probably will have lowered the whole thing to something even worse because that's the Nuance way. Merry Christmas!

Down on the page, past all this discussion about QC pay, etc., - start reading and go back in time at

[ In Reply To ..]
...at least 1 month before deciding that you "have to go with Nuance." In many, many, many cases you will see harm to physical and mental health for having signed on.

Please consider finding some other minimum wage job doing anything else.

No choice - all smiles

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you have a choice. Your skills are transferable to other jobs within and outside the healthcare field.

Per average, they have reduced us to $10 to $12 per hour. Incentive is a joke. There is no incentive.

Once you get up to where you make even anything resembling a livable wage, they will shake it up, change your accounts, audit more, or whatever it takes to get you back down to the above hourly wage.

The problem with the board here is that people talk about money and very little about the other things that affect us more.

Drop everything and come to this meeting (less than 24 hour notice).

Approve your timecard, check your e-mail and check your fiesa off the clock.

IT support - not.

Spellcheck is a joke. There are so many misspelled words in the spellchecker that cost you $$$$ (lower quality = lower pay).

OOW - you can quit for the day with no pay or just flex and keep coming back until there is work.

Incessant changes to the account specs - and no e-mail telling you so. So logon every day and see if they changed the account specs.

Reversal on an audit - good luck.

In short, if you sign on with N, they own you and every 168 hours in your week.

Those are more demoralizing than the low pay. I'm getting out at age 61 to whatever I can find because I've become so depressed I'm suicidal.

Terri - don't know what to say to you except I am so - sorry

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what you were making at the hospital, but I can bet it is more than what you will make here. I know that is a moot point though. I have 15 years' experience, usually meet all the metrics for quality, not sending to QC, etc, and yet I STILL can only top out at about 13/hr average thanks to either the unfair punitive auditing system, constantly changing client profiles, and most of all, regular OOW situations. Sad but true. I'm looking to get out asap.

One Word For You - FormerNuance_MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I speak from experience, having subjected myself to working at Nuance several years ago. Here is my suggestion -- ONE WORD FOR YOU: RUN !!!

Best bet is count on min wage weekly and anything - above will be a bonus.

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck.

Many other options out there! - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Check out Net Transcripts for "general" transcription which is much easier than medical. As an IC I am averaging $15 an hour. It took me a couple months to get to that pay, but it is consistent now. They do not deduct for leaving blanks. They have work 24/7 that you can pull from a queue system.

I also do "elder care" which includes light housekeeping. I put an ad on craigslist and a very nice family contacted me to spend a couple days a week with their elderly mom. They pay cash.

Do not give up. Just learn to be resourceful. I and 20 others were offered a job at Nuance when they outsourced us last year, and NONE of us took it. We are all somehow making it by finding other opportunities!

No choice - Put unemployment on speed dial - and bend over :( nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

RUN as far as possible from this company - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in your same position about 4 years ago and thought the same things, mainly because I believed their LIES.

They said we would keep our same hospital account. NO. At first, but not for long.

They said our seniority would count. NO. Well, maybe it did in some way, but everyone got the same amount of PTO and wage, so I don't see how that mattered for beans.

IT and QA support. Umm, no.

Plenty of work. HE(( NO.

I can tell you we were a dept of about 30 +/- working for 3 local hospitals all owned by the same company, and flexing between the 3. We all had plenty of work. Right now, last I heard anyway, there was 1 or maybe 2 still left with N out of the 28 or 29 that took the position.

If I had it to do over, I would take the unmemployement and look for something else rather than learn their system, ultimately have to look elsewhere anyway, and then learn another system. I could have used that time off to really explore if there was anything totally out of transcription worth pursuing. I still knew a couple of people in med recs at that time. If I had pursued that, I would still be at the hospital, with the hospital's benefits, and still getting a raise every year, a little Christmas bonus, credit union perks, free company days at the ballpark,etc.

Similar Messages:

If You Find Yourself Employed At Nuance Through No Fault Of Your Own, With No Other Choice
Mar 13, 2014

Claim bankruptcy right away because soon you won’t be able to afford debt, and then you won’t be able to afford to file bankruptcy either, and you could lose much more than your self-esteem. You will probably eventually lose that. Buy a cappuccino maker because you won’t be able to buy fancy coffee anymore. You will know exactly what is in it too.  Keep the basics stocked: rice, beans, taters, nuts, fruit, eggs, flour, sugar, etc, because your food budget will be ...

If You Had The Choice
Dec 08, 2011

If you could go back in time, would you still be a coder?  I guess I'm just curious if the "Oh, I wish I had done something different" sentiment is a prevalent here as it is in MT. If you wouldn't change a thing, what is it that you really love about your work? If you hate coding and what you do, what would you do instead? ...

Physicians Choice, New MTs Pay Them?
Jan 11, 2010

I found a company called Physicians Choice Transcription Service (PCTSI) which says they take newbies but you pay them money weekly as a payroll deduction.  You start out paying them $100/week.  Does anyone know anything about this kind of service?  I've been looking for work for weeks and have seen several places want "start up costs" in the thousands, but never a place that takes $100 a week from your pay when you work for them. http://www.pcts1.com/Employment.htm Has it ...

I Am IC By Choice And I Have A Problem With ICs Who Just
Sep 08, 2010

I work 7 days a week because I WANT to and I like the money I make doing that. I have a daily personal goal that far exceeds what MTSO expects. I resent that I have to share my lines with on-and-off IC who just pops in whenever.  Expecially when they pop in at the end of a pay period trying to get all their lines in 3 days.   The MTSO knows when I am going to log on and she knows she can count on me.  I should not have to share MY lines with an irresponsible sometimes IC. ...

CCT/Clear Choice
May 18, 2012

any info good or bad appreciated.    Thank you ...

Bad Career Choice.
Dec 09, 2012

If you are considering being a transcriptionist, do not waste your time, it is career suicide.  There is no money in this field of work anymore and it is all going over seas where the people are paid practically nothing. ...

Your Choice Or Bought Out
Mar 12, 2013

How many started working for Mmodal because of their choice and how many because Mmodal bought out the company they were working for?? ...

Anyone Know Anything About Clear Choice?
Oct 02, 2013

I see they have an ad on the other site and don't see their name often so I'm hopeful! ...

If You Had A Choice Which Company Would
Jun 11, 2015

Keystrokes or TransPortal?  Both are running ads and I was just wondering which one would be the better choice.  TIA! ...

First Choice Medical Of Florida
Jan 08, 2010

Does anyone currently work for First Choice Medical of Florida?  I have a question. ...

Clear Choice Transcription - *****
Feb 10, 2010

If you want information on Clear Choice Transcription out of Pittsburgh please search the archives for Davis Transcription.  **** had been kicked out of her own company and started a new one, Clear Choice Transcription.  Don't be fooled by this con artist and her side kick,****.   Davis Transcription is now run by a reputable business owner and the name changed to tMedica.     **** No names, please.  Email names if you wish. **** ...

TransTech - Need To Make A Choice
Feb 12, 2010

I know this is beating a dead horse, but-- I'm seeing a slight increase in my pay. It's not as high as it used to be, but not as low as it recently was. Work is sometimes low enough that I'm almost having to log in first thing in the morning and log out before I go to bed to get the line count in, but I've heard it's going to get better. I've got an offer from another company that I have heard is not problem-free either. I just don't know. You know the old say ...

Do MQ MTs Have Set Schedules? Are There Choice Of Hours?
Apr 26, 2010

aaaaaaaaaa ...

MT As Career Change Choice
Sep 06, 2010

Hi,  I hope you don't mind a visitor from the outside I'm here because I need to change careers. I'm 59 , female, single, and have done one career all my life which has been clinical social work/mental health counseling.  I'm burned out with this career and alot has indicated that medical transcription might suit me.  Where do I begin? What training do I need? Do I need training at all? (this may sound dumb) What schools are the best? Online versus ...

Have To Make A Choice Between A Few Places...
Oct 11, 2010

Please email me privately about this.  It is best for all of us. I have a couple of offers on my table and I need advice about which to take. Global in Texas, GIS.  Transolutions.  Transform.  Transcend.  MD-IT in Colorado. I have no idea who to say yes to.  If they are employee and they have health insurance, what are the premiums?  How are they to work for?  Do you run out of work? Many thanks, ...

Clear Choice And Pearson
Feb 09, 2011

Does anyone know anything about these two companies (work atmosphere, size of company, pay on time, etc., any helpful information)?  I noticed that Clear Choice has openings for editors, but I'm wondering if they're QA editor or VR editor positions.  From the pay rate advertised, I'm thinking VR editors.  Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide. ...

Is The CCS Exam Multiple Choice?
Apr 23, 2012

I was just wondering from anyone who has taken the CCS exam recently, is the whole exam multiple choice?  I ask because I am taking the Andrews course and using the AHIMA-published workbooks and they are all multiple choice.  I use a different skill set when doing these questions, work my way backward with deductive reasoning, reading the question and looking up each answer, eliminating the wrong ones.  This seems faster to me and I want to work as fast as I can on the test.  ...

Question: When SR Is So Bad That You Have NO CHOICE But To Transcribe
Jun 24, 2012

I get a mix of SRE and transcribing jobs, with - of course - half line rate for SRE. I have no idea who is "allowed" to dictate to the SRE platform for my company, but I can say that it's mighty strange that the worst dictators seem to predominate - and hence, you get a constant stream of SRE documents requiring very heavy editing. Not infrequently, I get documents that are such garbage from beginning to end that there aren't three consecutive words that make any sense anywhere in th ...

Clear Choice Transcription?
Aug 10, 2012

Wondered if anyone knew if this is a legit company.  Are they good to work for? ...

Clear Choice Transcription
Dec 14, 2012

I have recently seen several ads posted for Clear Choice Transcription.  I see that now they are seeking new grads for these positions.  I personally always like to know if there are red flags, etc. before I accept an offer.  I felt the need to share my experience with the company.  There is one manager who basically runs the show.  Myself and a friend were both completely bullied by her for doing nothing short of trying to learn our job.  If questions are asked, there are very abrasive an ...

Would Any Of You Recommend MT As A Career Choice?
Apr 14, 2013

I would have in the past, but not any more.  Unless I really hated the person and wanted to see them totally fail in life. ...

Anyone With Info On First Choice MT Out Of Lutz, FL?
May 12, 2013

Their website says they are hiring, but would like some info on them first. ...

CCT (Clear Choice Transcription)
Nov 25, 2013

Has anyone every had problems with this company? I have recently and am just wondering if this is how they do business? I have been an MT for 30+ years and have not encountered this before. ...

Clear Choice Transcription Pay?
Dec 03, 2013

How is Clear Choice's pay when being paid by the audio minute and working in the EMR system?  How much can be expected to be made daily on something like this working only 4 hours?  ...

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Clear Choice Transcription
Mar 07, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of Clear Choice Transcription out of Pennsylvania and if they send their work off shore or are owned by an off shore company? ...

Is Clear Choice Transcription A Scam?
May 17, 2010

I was reading through the archives, and someone said that they were affiated with Davis Transcription, which was a scam company. Is this true, or is Clear Choice okay to work for? Do they pay on time? Sorry to ask again, but I'd like to know before I make the wrong decision. ...

Anyone Currently Working For Clear Choice Transcription?
Sep 13, 2010

Is there anyone currently working for Clear Choice Transcription?  If so, what is it like now - good or bad?  Just wondering as I have read all of the old posts, but nothing newer is showing up and they have advertised with more work available. ...

MTs Aren't Eligible For Choice Plus And Can Only Get The HRA Plan?
Oct 08, 2010

Wow, it doesnt' say on the website that MTs aren't eligible for Choice Plus and can only get the HRA plan.  What a huge disappointment to work 90 days and find that out.  I am super bummed...     ...

Beware Of Clear Choice Transcription!!!
Sep 11, 2012

I was hired over a month ago.  It took three weeks to get all the info needed to start.  I was to do online training over the phone, which I did.  Unfortunately the person who trained us went so fast I was lost.  I started, had a ton of questions, which I asked.  I never got any answers other than one where I was told to follow instructions.  Yes I knew to do that.  So I get an email saying I am having a hard time (ya think it could be because the trainer did n ...

Is Anyone Familiar With Clear Choice Transcription?
Nov 09, 2012

Is anyone familiar with Clear Choice? Any information would be appreciated. I understand they pay by the minute of dictation, a dollar a minute after release from QA. I'm wondering if their platform allows for a good line count and how the company treats the employees. ...