A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would any of you recommend MT as a career choice? - I_need_a_lobotomy

Posted: Apr 14, 2013

I would have in the past, but not any more.  Unless I really hated the person and wanted to see them totally fail in life.

RE: MT as a career choice? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to the doctor this week. He asked me what kind of work I did. I told him medical transcription and how they slashed the wages and then gave no work so I gave them the big finger (Nuance). He told me so many of the doctors miss MTs so much, because they have to do it themselves and the voice recognition is nut fun. He said that career is dead. I agree. He said it may come back though, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just my 2 cents. We all have to find another career.

I would recommend it for stay at home Moms. - Most definitely. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been so lucky to be able to greet my children at the door, get them on and off the school bus, attend functions without worry. I also think lessening the on-site stress by working at home saved my sanity.

MT has been good to me. I would highly recommend it. I've had my share of lost accounts and being an IC, I don't get to just call in sick but it all is wash since my job is so flexible. I can take off whenever, work whenever, and feel free of all the hassles that come with the regular career choices out there.

I consider it more even trading. I don't answer to anyone but myself, and that sure is nice. I did spend 17 years on-site and while I did learn a lot, I feel far less stressed at home.

I would recommend it for sure for Moms or Dads who want to be at home.

Are you the sole earner in your family? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

obiously not. what I want to know is how many jobs she's had, how - long in this business. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
guessing novice. and one that got lucky first time out. experience would never give her answer.
She said she worked 19 years in house before going to work at home. - PartyPooper
[ In Reply To ..]
I always forget that NO ONE is allowed to be happy on these boards. I bet there are more happy MTs than unhappy, but the unhappy ones are loud and obnoxious about it. Probably why they are not valued, appreciated, praised, etc. They don't deserve it and their company is probably trying to force them to leave. If I was an MTSO, I wouldn't put up with half the crap I see going on.

This is NOT the norm... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
"I can take off whenever, work whenever". You are misleading others to say this is representative of the MT business now as an IC. Most MTs have to submit a strict schedule even though they run out of work, clock in and out, and have limited time off.

Well.... then they made a poor choice in their - clients. I am an IC and I most certainly (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
choose when and if I decide to work that day. I have a 24-hour TAT that I meet if and when I do work. It's flexible.

It's out there, and I'm a true IC. I am not misrepresenting anything. I am sharing my experience.

The MTSO I contract with treats me like the business owner that I am, and yes I can work whenever I feel like it or not. Sorry you don't believe that, but it is true.
Good for you. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Hang on to what you have, because it is definitely not that way out here for others. That's why many people are so upset with the industry.

I had it like you until about a year ago. PERFECT job, plenty of work, great pay and I couldn't figure out why in the world all of these people on here would complain so much. My job ended, as they so often do without notice these days (I had been there 7 years) and now I feel the pain of all of the others.

So, good luck to you and don't brag too much, because you definitely don't want to be in this horrible place that so many are forced to be.
Good advice - Dazed and confused
[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't believe it can happen to you, run on over to the M*Modal board or look at some of the people on this very board who have lost accounts with nothing to replace them. Don't get too comfortable.
I didn't say it was not true... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
You need to re-read my post, especially the title, which I thought was very clear.

To repeat, I said it was misleading because you "recommend it for sure" "most definitely" and use your rare situation as if it's the average.

Up until 2011, I had the same situation and wasn't even an IC (employee with 5 weeks of vacation and insurance). I, however, kept in touch with the industry changes and knew I was lucky to still have a boss/owner who trusted us to keep the work on TAT on our own schedule. Those days are long gone. That's the reality. I like the accounts I have now, get 9 cpl for straight typing, PTO, and insurance. I do, however, have a schedule and time clock I have to punch, which unfortunately IS the norm.

I just would hate someone to invest in a MT as a career and think they can easily find the job you are describing. The experienced MTs who are posting (I've been in the business 25+ years) are saying a situation like yours is now few and far between. Not sure why you are arguing that.
I do the same thing.... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I wrote up a long post a few months back telling MTs what they needed to do to get on board with those who were still thriving and have never had to adhere to a strict schedule, but I got bashed. I have been in this field for 12 years, have had my fair share of loss of accounts, no raises, etc., BUT I have NEVER worked a schedule in all my years. I come and go as I please and work when I want. I only work for companies that want 24 to 48 hour turnaround times and that's it. I REFUSE to work for anywhere that requires a schedule because that just doesn't work with my life. I can work at 3 in the morning or 8 in the morning...whatever I choose. If I decide to take the day off, I work at night, but that's my choice since I have the work, but just have to meet the deadline to get it back. None of you want to think outside the box and think that nationals paying minimum wage are all that's out there. It's not true. MT may be changing, but it's not dead.
The same thing happened to me - Jane
[ In Reply To ..]
Then one day, blam! Lost account, no work, worried about foreclosure. So when you think you want to REFUSE to do something, think again. There are a lot of us out here who are more than willing to accommodate a client's reasonable request. "Thinking outside the box" has nothing to do with it. Some situations are beyond our control. Your "none of you want to think outside the box" says it all. How can you possible know what ALL of us think? If you do not know that (and you don't), you cannot possibly say such a thing. And no, I was not working for a large national.
Yes, yes, and yes! Loved your post! - Totally agree! nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
The nationals pay more than minimum wage for most; it's the miserable ones who yell the loudest - PartyPooper
[ In Reply To ..]
I have decided to be vocal about this, to try to drown out the ones who are so ugly here. There are THOUSANDS of MTs in the United States but only DOZENS of posts here. I guess the happy ones are tired of being bashed.
Yes the happy ones are tired of being bashed. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Whenever someone posts they are happy, here comes the parade of posters calling that person "from another planet" or "out of their minds." Whatever.... to each his own... you can sit and roll in it and get nowhere or do something about it and get somewhere.
You got that right - Sista
[ In Reply To ..]
Love your post PartyPooper!!
Beg to differ - LifeAsMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Even the DOL has stated that this industry is rapidly declining from where it once was due to both offshoring and, more than that, technology. It's not a matter of a few grumbling people.
It may be true for now - Annie
[ In Reply To ..]
but that could change at ANY time, probably sooner rather than later.
Not necessarily - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
It all depends on the field of medical that we are talking about. Not all of us do acute care that needs to be in the charts immediately. Some of us think outside the box and go into different fields that don't require the reports to be in the charts in such a pressing manner. It's been this way for 12 years for me and the type of work I do isn't going to change in requirement of how fast it needs to come back.
that's not what she's saying - see inside
[ In Reply To ..]
Not that you can't work whenever you want, but that the work itself could dry up any minute, as has happened to so many here. If you want to get my dander up, be sure to use the expression "think outside the box."
MT - Speed onto charts is by no means
[ In Reply To ..]
the only factor. You are deluding yourself. Your job could be endangered sooner than you think. Denial is not a river in Egypt.
I had this experience also, but it is getting harder and harder to find those clients - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for a great local MTSO as an IC and had this experience also, 24 hour TAT, which I could complete anytime during the day that fit. I did this while raising my children and it was great. This MTSO had many wonderful clients, but slowly with the economic pressures she started losing them (many were very apologetic and stated that the department supervisor insisted on cheaper solutions, be it VR or off shoring). It became more and more difficult to find new clients (her reputation is top notch and it was not an issue of quality). I think the days of this type of opportunity are sadly on their way out as well, as more physician offices are complying with the EHR mandate fast approaching or else they will lose money on Medicare patients. I truly hope I am wrong, but I see the writing on the wall.
Like so many others, then... - LifeAsMT
[ In Reply To ..]
the little company that allowed flexibility was bought out by the big national...

And life forever changed. Which company was it? I forget because they "merged" and then they "merged" and then they were bought out, or something along those lines.

that's absolutely right, anon. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

On What Planet - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly what planet can an MT come and go as they please? You sound like an MT school on the back of a matchbook.

I thought that same thing! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thought this must be another ad for Canscribe!
I thought the same thing - Disgusted
[ In Reply To ..]
TranSCAM, anyone?

I do not work for a national. - I have plenty of work.

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not the sole breadwinner. We are a two-income family but I always made it work. My DH used to work part-time and me part-time and I worked IC from home in addition to my part-time in hospital job. We saved on daycare, and we enjoyed every minute of it.

I'm sorry you folks think the only way to MT is for a national paying pennies. I really think there is more to it than being a number/employee for a huge national on-line. There are opportunities out there.
Since you have plenty of work - Jane
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps you would care to give us a few tips so that we might enjoy a similar bounty?
That is part of the problem. People want - someone else to give them the easy route. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Easy route--not! - Jane
[ In Reply To ..]
It is not the "easy route." It is called cooperation, sharing, networking, and even collegiality (Look it up.) Perhaps you have been working at home so long you have forgotten about cooperation? Networking? I have helped over a dozen other MTs get work. On occasion, others have done the same for me. I really hope that when your well runs dry (and it will) others are more forthcoming and kind with you than you are with others.

amazing - reality

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an IC who contracts through other MTSOs. I work for two. I have 24 hr TAT. No schedule. I've tried working for a national with a set schedule and find I just can't do it. I'm single, still making over $50k and balance the negatives with the positives. I just don't understand the mentality that because it's not your reality it cannot BE a reality.
Exactly. Your last statement says it all and thank you! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The nationals are not end all be all and there are other sites besides here that advertise and also just straight up contacting companies through their e-mail contact can land you some fine opportunities.

Again, like the other poster said, it's really a matter of thinking outside the box and not limiting yourself to this site and what people say here.

I find it rather glaringly evident that those complaining just want some sort of easy answer or for someone to just give up the goods so to speak. It's a matter of finding your comfort zone and it's also a matter of again "thinking outside the box."

My DH works with a man whose daughter does translation transcription. Funny this morning I did notice a job on the job board for that type of dictation if you check the site out. There are opportunities. I guess people just want to go by this site and this site alone and the doom and gloom here intead of using their skills to advance themselves or change a sour situation.

Good luck to you all!
Because it's like saying, "I won the lottery, YOU can too." - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The odds are that it can only be a "reality" for a very few since there are not a multitude of similar opportunities (and they're going to become fewer and fewer), and anyone considering going into MT should be made aware of that FACT.
the only thing about that is - tynkerbelle
[ In Reply To ..]
the only thing about that is, been there done that. most of the people you think are "whining" on here have been there and done that too. when it works out well, it is pretty nice. you get used to the money. then one day wham, an account is gone and you make a bit less. then maybe the company goes out of business and you have to look for another position. to iffy for me. i am working an old-fashionied hospital job, but with VR. love it.
whining and the lottery - reality
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't say anything about anyone whining, just about people who want to negate someone's positive experience because they aren't having a positive experience.

And to the lottery comment, the MT jobs are out there. It takes time and work to find them. I can't just go do some serious groundwork and win the lottery (if I could I'd be doing that and not posting here or doing MT), but you can find an MT position but it does take work to do so.
the lottery = astronomical odds - that was the point and still is (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Friend is an IC and she works that way - LinK

[ In Reply To ..]
My friend has been a true IC for years. She has her own clients and works when she wants to as long as she has it done within 48 hours of receiving the work. I'm envious of her. She take mornings off to run errands or just to do something fun or she takes whole days off. She works a lot of long nights also, but that's her choice. Those jobs are out there, but I'm sure they're few and far between.

HAHAHA! Brilliant and truthful statement! - LifeAsMT

[ In Reply To ..]
At least one good thing happened today; I read your post!

This old timer says do it if you're willing to work IN a hospital or other facility. - Work at home for a career is dead. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Most definitely - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely not being snarky, but honestly want to know--how much longer do you think this is going to last?

Unfortunately, no....sm - Old Woman

[ In Reply To ..]
MT was kind enough to me to allow me to raise my kids while working from home, but I can barely support myself these days, let alone feed growing kids. If you just want a little extra money, then yes, I would recommend it, but not as a career.

Recommend MT? - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only no, but no.

I am always 100% honest with anybody who inquires about this--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, we are generally talking about somebody just entering the field, thus they have no experience to fall back on. For many, this means paying for education. So the first question is how will they feel if their time and money goes to the education and they are unable to get a job? I had a friend who I was honest with the field about who paid for an MT school (I do not know which one) that supposedly helped with job placement and she never got a job in the MT field. I ask my friends if they can afford that.

I then talk to them about my expectations for the field. I do not think the field will die entirely but the numbers of transcriptionists needed are declining, and likely will continue to do so, especially considering we are competing with transcriptionists in India as well. The pay is certainly declining.

So then the quesiton becomes, what does this friend need to get out of it? Do they need insurance for their family too? Does this insurance need to basically just cover emergencies or do they need coverage for a sick child or a sick adult? The insurance may be fine for emergencies but I have a diabetic daughter, if I depended on my job for insurance, we would be in a world of hurt.

The other question would be how long do you need the job? Just a few years, it MIGHT work. Do you need enough to save a bundle for retirement? Perhaps another career path would be better.

For me right now, MT is what I have, I know how do it and I have a job and experience. However, my husband also works for the government so that is where we get our insurance and that is where our retirement funds are. I am not counting on this long-term at all. I just keep hoping and praying it lasts me for about another 14 months. I will say that if I am still doing it 10 years from now, that would be a big surprise.

No No No ..... and No again and then Run - Regrets

[ In Reply To ..]
No No No ..... and No again and then Run

If I were just starting out, no. - Toni

[ In Reply To ..]
As an MTSO owner, I get calls all of the time from people who want to decide whether to spend the money for an MT course. I am as honest as I can be with them. This is a tough field with dwindling work. While I've been lucky (so far) and still have a number of clients and am making a good living, I know it's not going to last. At first it was the overseas threat and now it's EMR. It's tough enough for the seasoned transcriptionists to get at home jobs or to work as an IC. Very hard for a newby without experience.

Toni - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you completely. Truer words were never spoken. I used to mentor MTs who were starting out or people who wanted to get into the field. (Hospitals hired me to come and teach on their premises.) However, I discourage everyone I possibly can. Every day I give thanks to G-d that I can stay at home and spend my time with Dobies and Rotties (whose bite, BTW, is not nearly as fierce as that of the owners of the big nationals).

MT as a career choice - Luckyacew1

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. It used to be a really good job. But nowadays, since Voice Recognition and outsourcing to India, etc., you would have to be out of your tree to train to be a medical transcriptionist! You will be making 4 cents a line. Many transcriptionists are nowadays only making minimum wage.

Hahahaha! - LifeAsMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I read the title of your post and burst out laughing (and not in a happy way but more in a snickering way). I would NEVER suggest this "career" to anybody unless they enjoyed pain and suffering.

MT As A Career - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely not, not any more! Enough said.

MT as a career - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Even I, who in my heydey (80s-90s) made 90K+ a year, would discourage anyone from doing it. My last year fulltime, I made 38K.

Similar Messages:

Bad Career Choice.
Dec 09, 2012

If you are considering being a transcriptionist, do not waste your time, it is career suicide.  There is no money in this field of work anymore and it is all going over seas where the people are paid practically nothing. ...

MT As Career Change Choice
Sep 06, 2010

Hi,  I hope you don't mind a visitor from the outside I'm here because I need to change careers. I'm 59 , female, single, and have done one career all my life which has been clinical social work/mental health counseling.  I'm burned out with this career and alot has indicated that medical transcription might suit me.  Where do I begin? What training do I need? Do I need training at all? (this may sound dumb) What schools are the best? Online versus ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

If You Had The Choice
Dec 08, 2011

If you could go back in time, would you still be a coder?  I guess I'm just curious if the "Oh, I wish I had done something different" sentiment is a prevalent here as it is in MT. If you wouldn't change a thing, what is it that you really love about your work? If you hate coding and what you do, what would you do instead? ...

Physicians Choice, New MTs Pay Them?
Jan 11, 2010

I found a company called Physicians Choice Transcription Service (PCTSI) which says they take newbies but you pay them money weekly as a payroll deduction.  You start out paying them $100/week.  Does anyone know anything about this kind of service?  I've been looking for work for weeks and have seen several places want "start up costs" in the thousands, but never a place that takes $100 a week from your pay when you work for them. http://www.pcts1.com/Employment.htm Has it ...

I Am IC By Choice And I Have A Problem With ICs Who Just
Sep 08, 2010

I work 7 days a week because I WANT to and I like the money I make doing that. I have a daily personal goal that far exceeds what MTSO expects. I resent that I have to share my lines with on-and-off IC who just pops in whenever.  Expecially when they pop in at the end of a pay period trying to get all their lines in 3 days.   The MTSO knows when I am going to log on and she knows she can count on me.  I should not have to share MY lines with an irresponsible sometimes IC. ...

CCT/Clear Choice
May 18, 2012

any info good or bad appreciated.    Thank you ...

Your Choice Or Bought Out
Mar 12, 2013

How many started working for Mmodal because of their choice and how many because Mmodal bought out the company they were working for?? ...

Anyone Know Anything About Clear Choice?
Oct 02, 2013

I see they have an ad on the other site and don't see their name often so I'm hopeful! ...

No Choice But To Go With Nuance
May 25, 2015

Hello fellow MTs, In July, the only Acute Care Hospitals left in my area have been taken over by Nuance.  Everything in my area has been taken over, as the rest of the country. Basically, only the BIG GUYS are left anymore.  They are eating up the rest of the smaller transcription companies. I have been a transcriptionist since the age of 21, back in the typewriter days.  I am now going to be 54 and have to stick it out until hopefully 60s. I worked for MedQuist a few years ba ...

If You Had A Choice Which Company Would
Jun 11, 2015

Keystrokes or TransPortal?  Both are running ads and I was just wondering which one would be the better choice.  TIA! ...

Can Someone Recommend
Aug 10, 2010

A place to purchase the most recent book of style?  Thanks! ...

Would You Recommend...
Sep 30, 2012

For those of you that work full time in an employee position with benefits, would you recommend your current company? I am looking for some positive feedback on which companies to target for an employee MT position. Thanks in advance. ...

First Choice Medical Of Florida
Jan 08, 2010

Does anyone currently work for First Choice Medical of Florida?  I have a question. ...

Clear Choice Transcription - *****
Feb 10, 2010

If you want information on Clear Choice Transcription out of Pittsburgh please search the archives for Davis Transcription.  **** had been kicked out of her own company and started a new one, Clear Choice Transcription.  Don't be fooled by this con artist and her side kick,****.   Davis Transcription is now run by a reputable business owner and the name changed to tMedica.     **** No names, please.  Email names if you wish. **** ...

TransTech - Need To Make A Choice
Feb 12, 2010

I know this is beating a dead horse, but-- I'm seeing a slight increase in my pay. It's not as high as it used to be, but not as low as it recently was. Work is sometimes low enough that I'm almost having to log in first thing in the morning and log out before I go to bed to get the line count in, but I've heard it's going to get better. I've got an offer from another company that I have heard is not problem-free either. I just don't know. You know the old say ...

Do MQ MTs Have Set Schedules? Are There Choice Of Hours?
Apr 26, 2010

aaaaaaaaaa ...

Have To Make A Choice Between A Few Places...
Oct 11, 2010

Please email me privately about this.  It is best for all of us. I have a couple of offers on my table and I need advice about which to take. Global in Texas, GIS.  Transolutions.  Transform.  Transcend.  MD-IT in Colorado. I have no idea who to say yes to.  If they are employee and they have health insurance, what are the premiums?  How are they to work for?  Do you run out of work? Many thanks, ...

Clear Choice And Pearson
Feb 09, 2011

Does anyone know anything about these two companies (work atmosphere, size of company, pay on time, etc., any helpful information)?  I noticed that Clear Choice has openings for editors, but I'm wondering if they're QA editor or VR editor positions.  From the pay rate advertised, I'm thinking VR editors.  Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide. ...

Is The CCS Exam Multiple Choice?
Apr 23, 2012

I was just wondering from anyone who has taken the CCS exam recently, is the whole exam multiple choice?  I ask because I am taking the Andrews course and using the AHIMA-published workbooks and they are all multiple choice.  I use a different skill set when doing these questions, work my way backward with deductive reasoning, reading the question and looking up each answer, eliminating the wrong ones.  This seems faster to me and I want to work as fast as I can on the test.  ...

Question: When SR Is So Bad That You Have NO CHOICE But To Transcribe
Jun 24, 2012

I get a mix of SRE and transcribing jobs, with - of course - half line rate for SRE. I have no idea who is "allowed" to dictate to the SRE platform for my company, but I can say that it's mighty strange that the worst dictators seem to predominate - and hence, you get a constant stream of SRE documents requiring very heavy editing. Not infrequently, I get documents that are such garbage from beginning to end that there aren't three consecutive words that make any sense anywhere in th ...

Clear Choice Transcription?
Aug 10, 2012

Wondered if anyone knew if this is a legit company.  Are they good to work for? ...

Clear Choice Transcription
Dec 14, 2012

I have recently seen several ads posted for Clear Choice Transcription.  I see that now they are seeking new grads for these positions.  I personally always like to know if there are red flags, etc. before I accept an offer.  I felt the need to share my experience with the company.  There is one manager who basically runs the show.  Myself and a friend were both completely bullied by her for doing nothing short of trying to learn our job.  If questions are asked, there are very abrasive an ...

Anyone With Info On First Choice MT Out Of Lutz, FL?
May 12, 2013

Their website says they are hiring, but would like some info on them first. ...

CCT (Clear Choice Transcription)
Nov 25, 2013

Has anyone every had problems with this company? I have recently and am just wondering if this is how they do business? I have been an MT for 30+ years and have not encountered this before. ...

Clear Choice Transcription Pay?
Dec 03, 2013

How is Clear Choice's pay when being paid by the audio minute and working in the EMR system?  How much can be expected to be made daily on something like this working only 4 hours?  ...

Why I Would NOT Recommend ATSI
Feb 19, 2010

Hello all! I am new to this forum and would just like to share my thoughts with you as I have read through some of your postings about different MT companies out there, like "Should I work here?" So, as nicely as I can say it, in a matter of my opinion:  My Top Ten Reasons why I would NOT recommend ATSI: 1. The pay. Straight CPL no matter if it's days, nights, weekends, holidays. 2. No raises, incentives, or bonuses. 3. NOT employee status...EVER...even after 90 days, you will ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Reasonably Priced
Jul 31, 2010

headset for VR?   Thanks!  ...

Recommend MT School
Sep 28, 2010

Hi, I am interested in taking a MT online course and would like some recommendations on some online schools.  I don't want to make the wrong decision and waste my money. Can anyone please  telll about a few schools so I can make my decision? Thanks ...

Can Anyone Recommend An Expander?
Dec 19, 2010

make entries on the fly?  I have been using an old copy of Shortcut for years but creating new entries is tedious:  I type, copy, open program, create shortcut, paste, close program, return to work.  Does Smart Type or Instant Text eliminate any of these steps?  Thanks!      ...