A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Recommendation for those ever-recurring little corrections. - MissIndigo

Posted: Oct 25, 2009

You know, where you have to stop and type in a "his," "the," "no," "were," "and," or separate a run-on into 2 sentences, add a "She" to a sentence, change a letter, join 2 sentences into one, etc., because VR goofed.

This has been working well for me:  Use

SINGLE LETTERS (T, E, F, and so on) for the very most common words and corrections.

Like T for "the," N for "no," E for "was", J for "has," F for macro that toggles letter from lower to upper and upper to lower case, X to replace comma with period.

Keys your fingers reach quickly and easily (like in the middle of the keyboard) are especially valuable, but choose combos that feel right for you. Intuitive is good here since obviously not all words can use their own first letter.  I love every one of mine. Correcting with a single letter is wonderfully fast.

TWIN LETTERS AND SYMBOLS* (aa, bb, ,,)

Like EE for "were," TT for "to the," NN for "not", FF for changing case of an entire word, // for connecting two words with a slash (fever/chills),  a pair of ,,  for connecting two sentences with a comma, RR for adding a "He" to the beginning of a sentence and lower-casing the next word, etc.

* Not all expanders allow symbols to be used.

TWO DIFFERENT LETTERS AND SYMBOLS  (ab, ba, .t)

Like NE for "none." I should change that one since it requires me to use both hands. Doubles that require only one hand to be moved away from the sides of the keyboard* and feel comfortable are prize. Like "none" could be NJ, except I already use that for "normal." For the same reason, my short for "if" is IK; easier, thus faster even though it's the same number of keystrokes.

* In editing, most people are finding a more functional home position for hands is over the CRL/ALT/SH keys and SPACE BAR on the left and over the function keys and the ARROW keys on the right.

BTW, over time I discovered that I needed more and more of the twin-key and two-different-key combos for punctuation correction macros, which are I guess the most common errors of all, as well as other very commonlly used macros.  Like MM to page down and then return the cursor to where it was.  Like .. to back up, insert a period, and cap the next word. BB to join two words so they don't break at the end of a line.

I really haven't been using letters with the number line and am wondering why on earth not. Strange. There are a good 300 or so combinations possible there, subtracting the few already in use. But if F7 is in use, 7F probably is not...  That break of a beam of light through my cloudy brain recently was like getting a wonderful present.  For me it requires moving the arm a bit, though, so I'll assign secondary functions to them. Like J7 could replace the Home Key, which I find clumsy to use and don't use that much anyway aside from including it in macros. 

Needs change with new accounts, new dictators, new favorite glitches VR develops, and so on, but these can be changed easily. You DO remember them quickly because they're used constantly. Your fingers remember them amazingly fast as well, allowing you to "forget," so writing each down in a notebook as it's created is extremely helpful. I've made a bunch I didn't use that much before I internalized them and now only "discover" when my fingers slip. I also have a terrible time figuring out what a macro is for if I haven't bothered with a description. 

In addition to increasing speed wonderfully, using the expander this way can help improve quality tremendously. Correcting with a single letter or twins is so fast that people unhappy because they're supposed to leave reports sloppy can become happy again and still build up that speed.  Best wishes. :)

What company allows you to be sloppy in VR? - VR lover

[ In Reply To ..]
My hospital seemed to slack off on all these picky things other talk about, if a word containing a hyphen needs 1 and the overuse of commas but the work sure is not what I would consider sloppy. More than what you call sloppy is the fact we have been told to leave reports by ESLs the exact way they dictate, now that bothers me, not the look of the report itself.

If I used all those keys in order to get faster, gosh would probably top over 700-800 lph as with not using all those keys my line averages for these past 2 days 581 for Friday and 523 for Saturday. Not bad for a person who just does not use any of the so called keys we are supposed to use in order to make us speed demons. I am very happy in my little own world with the old way of using that mouse, now for those ESLs...

does this work in any VR program you think? - gitarMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am fairly new in VR but am finding it not nearly as productive as just typing reports myself, except for it does pick up words I would not hear first time through on my own. Your tips are going to be hopefully beneficial. I am going to try to wrap my head around them.

That is about the worst thing when you have to change cases or change 'The patient' to 'Patient' about 25 times throughout a report. It is nuts. Especially with verbatim. For myself, I am thankful for any tips.

I am assuming by sloppy reports you may mean verbatim! Personally where I work verbatim can be used just to kind of constantly find fault with MTs. I find it too subjective and leaves MTs in open-fire for criticism too many times for my liking.

Thanks MissIndigo

Regarding expanders and platforms.. - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi, GitarMT. The people who invented expanders and rescued me from making dozens of (The) Patient corrections each day are my true heroes.

The very short abbreviations I'm talking about would be entered into an expander program. Your employer may provide one, but most of us buy our own. MS Word has a very limited expander capability that many use to start out.

How any particular expander program will work with your company's platform (the program you work edit your reports on) is something you have to find out.

The good programs are compatible with probably all of the most common platforms, and their providers can answer your questions about that and help get you started. Shorthand and InstantText are both great.

You can download thousands of short forms to them to start a "dictionary" of short forms to work with, and InstantText has a dictionary-building function that will scan your reports for repeated words and phrases.

By "sloppy" reports I mean the new relaxed guidelines some companies adopt for editing the text VR produces and we clean up. Like not bothering to add the "The" that was dictated and just let a sentence start out "Patient reports that..." Or leaving as is something like: "...has no chest pain, no diaphoresis. No chest pressure." when the clinician clearly dictated a sentence. Sloppy. A lot of people aren't happy if they can't clean that up a bit, like me, and being about to change Patient to The patient with 2 keystrokes you don't even bother to think about is nice.

You're sure welcome, OldMT. I used an expander for a year probably before this occurred to me, so busy adding thousands of medical words that I didn't stop to think that what I needed far more was all those connecting words found all over every report. Since expanders were so new, and developed new capabilities as time went on, I ended up reinventing my hammer several times. :)

yes but how do you actually change those things - gitarMT

[ In Reply To ..]
thank you MissIndigo! I do have an expander, it has been building for the last probably 6 years and is my lifeline. My question would be more of how would I change patient to The patient quickly, as you mentioned before - you mean use 'n' or single letters not often used and add that way? I currently use 'tp' and 'pi' - is that the same thing you mean?

I really like your tips
Yes, tp for the patient is exactly what I mean, just - MissIndigo
[ In Reply To ..]
suggesting you find the words and corrections you find yourself typing ad nauseaum and add them in the same way. You're probably always typing in a "the," so that could be T, S for she.

N is fine for no; editing is all about getting those no's and nots in there. How about N for normal, N for negative, uh, oh... Maybe M for normal, or NN? NG for negative?--no, that requires both hands. How about NM, or should it be...K? And so on. It takes some fiddling but is so, so worth it. You'll fall in love with the ease and end up using every key available for this.

Thank you so much... - oldmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for the tips! I'm just starting in VR and working hard to build up speed, and every tip from you "veterans" of VR helps so much.

Thanks MissIndigo - VR gal

[ In Reply To ..]
Great post for VR folks to get ideas on expanders. On a side note, might I add to never stop learning about your platform and any ideas others may have to speed you up. I'be done VR for four years straight and never stop learning or reading or researching. By doing this, it just makes it easier for you in the long run, and time is money as we all know!!!!

Miss I Rocks - new to VR

[ In Reply To ..]
This is great information. I'm just starting in voice recog (eScription) after 12 years in the field. Do you mind sharing your production per hour? Are you editing reports already transcribed with eScription or transcribing? Thanks~!

You're sure welcome. I'm thrilled to see so many - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
can-do people taking on this latest challenge in an era of galloping change.

OldMt, I was messing with something this morning and thinking a thread on verb endings might be helpful. I don't know what various expanders are doing in this respect for their users.

Agree so strongly, VR Gal. Personally, having reached some comfort at this point in time, I'm gazing into a cloudy crysal ball wondering what comes next. :)

New to VR, I do VR almost exclusively these days to save my hands. Production per hour rates can be very misleading. My LPH, even with greatly expanded use of expander, are actually lower than they used to be when I worked top-line institutions on EditScript with good dictators overall and an excellent platform. BUT the line rate was very low to balance it out. My current accounts and platform require a whole lot more editing, but I'm paid more than twice what I would be on EditScript. That's why when people ask if they should take a job for $0.5 a line, my thought is, "Depends. Maybe."

Regarding speed, I'm regarded as a very high producer, but I'm not among those at the top. I'm just too slow a typist for that.

Similar Messages:

MME Corrections
Jan 22, 2010

Unbelieveable..for years I have been typing comorbid, now I get a correction of co-morbid all throughout my report.  In the past, I have been told to change cc to mL but then I got corrected by MME and so went back to cc, now I am corrected again that it should be mL.  I have been told in the past, if it is not followup, then write it this way without a dash, follow up, no dash.  Now I am corrected to put the dash in, follow-up.   This is an ongoing thing with whichever ...

Just Now Getting Corrections From May...
Jun 19, 2014

Why am I just now getting these stupid individual report audit/correction/notification/micromanagements?   Can I anticipate more of these dragging out?  What's the longest stretch between when you completed a report and received notification regarding one? ...

SmartMed Recommendation
Feb 07, 2012

I see they have an ad.  I worked there but left for family tragedy.  I am giving them an unsolicited endorsement.  Wonderful, friendly women.  they do have teaching accounts so not for newbies.  If you want to work for a good company and deal with sane individuals, I recommend them.  I did not make tons of money there (but where can you anymore) but it was certainly refreshing to deal with adults.   ...

Recommendation/Suggestion
Apr 16, 2013

Everyone should make a habit of getting a letter of reference from CURRENT employers even before you are actually looking for another job.  All you have to say is that you are updating your resume and want to be sure you have current letters of reference attached as well.  It doesn't matter if you are working as an "employee", if they are happy with you and with your work, they should have no problem giving this to you.  If you are an "IC", it should be even easier since you ...

Bogus QA Corrections?
Mar 20, 2013

Three or four times in the last two days I have gotten one of those unfriendly FIESA MAJOR ERROR alerts . . . only, that's not my work. I know without a single doubt that I did not make those errors, and seemingly some of these so called 'errors,' would have been flagged by spellcheck. What's up with that? Offering rebuttal in their comment section is pointless, it's just a waste of time since no one really reviews those or sends any feedback. I'm just f ...

Qc Corrections Incorrect
Jul 05, 2013

Has anyone been counted off in a post audit for corrections that QC made? ...

One Sentence, 7 Corrections
Jan 11, 2014

And they wonder why I can't make production??????? Looking forward to production proficiency mentoring later this month. Bring it on! ...

Coding Books Recommendation
Jun 09, 2010

Does anyone recommend any beginning coding books to explore the field of coding and possibly get a head start while I am awaiting school?   Thanks so much. ...

Transcription Program Recommendation?
Feb 22, 2012

Currently, I receive voice files by email, transcribe with Express Scribe, and print.   My doctor would like a way to be able to see what she has sent and what has been typed to be sure we are not missing something in the email, keeping up with tat and etc.     Hoping someone can recommend the best way to send and receive voice files so we both have access to the same information and with that information in an orderly fashion, something easy to understand and master the process ...

Need Recommendation To Replace SH Program...
May 29, 2012

I'm a Webmedx transplant.  Since early next year we will be unable to continue using Shorthand 10.0 program for word expansion, can someone recommend a good substitute that will be compatible with the Enterprise program and Escription?  Years ago I used PRD. Thanks in advance!     ...

Any Recommendation Wrt E-mail Services?
Sep 23, 2014

When I updated to windows 7, I lost outlook express email on my laptop and discovered -- Microsoft is not endearing in just this way -- that it cost about $35-40 as a stand alone. I don't really want to use G-mail for "everything" for privacy reasons -- any recommendations? Firefox offers "Thunderbird" and has a half-dozen recommendations .. "cheap" annual subscription, but not free. ...

ME Corrections - How To Get Them To Be Incorporated Into Speech
Sep 21, 2010

I have had so many dictators dictating the same PE, etc. and have to continually change the same things.  Is there a way to make a heading such as CHEST from "the chest is..." work?  I have one doctor whose "dilutional" is always speeched as DELUSIONAL.  How can I make these corrections work.  Suspect it requires a call to SUPPORT with job ID, ad nauseum documentation.  I suspect that only IT can re-correct these Speech errors, and not us as was originally exp ...

Escription Corrections Don't Seem To Stick
Nov 17, 2014

I work on v 9, 10 and 11 and I have noticed that when I make corrections on some VR reports the corrections do not seem to stick by the time they get to QC.  I have seen mistakes that I distinctly remember correcting while I am editing and then they show up as not corrected on the QC reviews.  Thankfully it hasn't happened on post-audit but it is pretty upsetting.  I had my TSM check a couple of them and sure enough, the mistakes were there when sent by me, so either I have become a hor ...

Need Keyboard Recommendation For Issues With De Quervain's
Mar 26, 2010

I have been a MT for close to 15 years & have used a Kinesis keyboard for the majority of that time. I am currently using the Advantage. I actually have a couple of these with the same keyboard layout. I have suddenly developed De Quervain's of my left thumb. (Apparently, I backspace more than I thought I did!) I was placed in a brace but cannot use it while typing. I am using some compression gloves when I work and just do not use my thumb. I have remapped a key in ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Line Count Program Recommendation
Nov 09, 2011

Can anybody recommend a reliable line count program that will count in the Word 2010 program?  I used to use Abacus which you could access directly in Word if you inserted a shortcut to it.  This way I could finish a document, count it, then close it with a password.  Abacus apparently doesn't work in Word 2010 and I've been experimenting wtih other counting programs but haven't found one that is as easy to use ... everything so far seems to require many more steps.  I use a g ...

Recommendation For Line Count Software
Jun 15, 2012

I've searched on MTStars high and low already and only get posts that are so old the links no longer work or the product is no longer available. My question is can someone recommend an inexpensive (under $50) Line Counting Software that counts headers/footers?  And could you please include a link so I can find this software?  It does not even have to gin up an invoice but just counts lines (including headers/footers).  Many thanks. ...

Career Step Graduates Recommendation
Aug 11, 2012

Any graduates of Career Step that can recommend the course?  Also, is it a licensed school.  I am told that it is based in Provo, Utah. ...

Recommendation For Web-based Email Service...SM
Dec 16, 2012

Hi All, My Cox email service has been out since Friday night with no end in sight.  Can anyone recommend a web-based service like Yahoo, etc., that is simple and safe, so I can open a temporary email for the meantime.  Thanks. ...

Anyone Know How To Back Up Auto Corrections On Word
Apr 08, 2010

Does anyone know how to back up your autocorrections on Word 2003.  I have a flashdrive I would like to put them on so that I can do a system restore.  Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated. ...

Ridiculous FIESA Corrections By OFFSHORE QA...sm
Aug 28, 2013

Dictated:  All cyst was removed, as well as osteophyte as well. Transcribed/Edited by me to read:  All cyst was removed, as well as osteophyte. OFFSHORE CORRECTION:  All cysts was removed, as well as osteophyte as well. This particular account is "modified verbatim" allowing us to change improper grammar and redundant/repetitive statements.  So, I deleted the second instance of "as well" since it had already been said just ONE flipping word before!  What do I get for ...

I Would Earn More Money If I Was Paid By The Number Of Corrections
Jun 23, 2011

I have to make for DQSpeech. ...

I Have No Patience For The Amount Of Corrections Needed Today!
Oct 12, 2013

I swear the speech engine just makes up the output as it has no resemblence to what the doctor says! We got a note stating we were making too many errors and our quality had gone down, with a side note that QAM knows we are struggling to maintain our counts, but this does not matter. Every once in a while I get told to slow down. Heck,I doing the best with what I have and the fatigue of doing this all day. Only minor errors such as leaving in an extra pronoun or such. I don't ...

My Hands Are So Sore From The Huge Number Of Corrections I Am Making
Jun 02, 2013

Any suggestions to ease the pain - like a better way to delete? This is just too ridiculous. ...

Annoying "corrections."
Jan 05, 2014

I had a fairly short note that was easy - and correct - except for a couple of lab terms I wasn't sure of because the dictator slurred over them.  Wanting the report to be correct, I submitted it to QA in the hope that the "smarter" QA person would hear the lab terms and fill them in.  Ha!  She didn't know either, but instead went through and "corrected" things that didn't need correcting, I'm sure in order to justify her job.   No more will ...