A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need keyboard recommendation for issues with De Quervain's - Sandilyn

Posted: Mar 26, 2010

I have been a MT for close to 15 years & have used a Kinesis keyboard for the majority of that time. I am currently using the Advantage. I actually have a couple of these with the same keyboard layout. I have suddenly developed De Quervain's of my left thumb. (Apparently, I backspace more than I thought I did!) I was placed in a brace but cannot use it while typing. I am using some compression gloves when I work and just do not use my thumb. I have remapped a key in place of the regular backspace key but I hate it.  I am very concerned that the same thing will eventually occur with my right thumb using the space bar. I think if these two keys were just a tad closer on the keyboard I wouldn't have this issue but I don't know. I have short fingers & smallish hands. 

Is there a keyboard that might better suit me & my needs??? I am really at a loss as to what to even look for at this point. I do know I do not want a keyboard that has a far reach for the backspace key with placement as on a "regular" keyboard as that will cause me to twist my right wrist & I may develop issues due to that. Please help ASAP! :)

Thanks so very much. 

I wish I could help. - Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I developed De Quervain's in my left wrist about 4 years ago. After splinting and anti-inflammatories, I still had no relief.

My doc's last resort before surgery was to put me in a cast to my elbow for 4 weeks that also casted my thumb out straight so I had no use of it. I still typed (had the use of 4 fingers on my left hand, just not my thumb). You really take your thumbs for granted until you lose the use of them.

Very difficult since I am left handed. I had to learn to eat, etc., with my right hand. I couldn't even tie my shoes or button my jeans.

After that didn't work, I ended up having surgery. Now I am pain free, but I still hit the spacebar with my right thumb always after gaining that habit when I was casted. The physical therapy after the surgery was terribly painful and it took a couple of months before I had decent use of that wrist/thumb. However, I had had 2 previous surgeries on that wrist for ganglion cysts, and the doctor removed quite a bit of scar tissue during the De Quervain's operation, so that may have contributed for the longer recovery.

I use a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. I know it's not like you describe, but it seems to work well for me. I have small fingers/hands as well.

I still have pain from time to time, even after the surgery, so I have to take breaks and stretch so as to not have it happen again. I do also get worried about my right wrist now because I use that thumb to do all spacing.

Best of luck!

I appreciate your input so much. - Sandilyn

[ In Reply To ..]
Tired, thank you so much for your kind reply. I sincerely appreciate it. I may look into the MS 4000 keyboard! It really says a lot about it, I feel, since you are an MT, have had the same thing as I & are doing well with it! :)

Believe me, I know the toll this profession can take on us. I had to have a plate, screws & rods placed at L5-S1 just four months ago. I have had a lot of various surgeries & this is the worst thing I have ever experienced! :( I developed foot drop prior to surgery (still have it), now wear an AFO knee to toes, wear a back brace & now the hand brace. I just tell my husband they should wrap me in Velcro from head to toe. LOL

Similar Messages:

De Quervain's
Sep 14, 2011

Is De Quervain's tunnel with a capital D and a capital Q? Is De Quervain one word or two???? Thanks ...

De' Quervain's / De'Quervains
Jan 14, 2010

nm ...

Wave Keyboard Versus Ergonomic Split Keyboard
Apr 10, 2010

I was wondering if someone could tell me how using a wave keyboard compares to a split ergonomic keyboard.  Is the wave as comfortable to use?  TIA! ...

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro...need A New Keyboard, Any Recommendations?
Apr 03, 2010

Microsoft has discontinued these great keyboards and I need a new one.  Anybody aware of a split keyboard that has a really nice touch (remember those old IBM keyboards?) for transcription work by Microsoft or another brand that you really like? I'm open for suggestions please ; 0  My only complaint with this one is the keys are a bit clunky to press down (especially the space bar).  Thanks! ...

SmartMed Recommendation
Feb 07, 2012

I see they have an ad.  I worked there but left for family tragedy.  I am giving them an unsolicited endorsement.  Wonderful, friendly women.  they do have teaching accounts so not for newbies.  If you want to work for a good company and deal with sane individuals, I recommend them.  I did not make tons of money there (but where can you anymore) but it was certainly refreshing to deal with adults.   ...

Recommendation/Suggestion
Apr 16, 2013

Everyone should make a habit of getting a letter of reference from CURRENT employers even before you are actually looking for another job.  All you have to say is that you are updating your resume and want to be sure you have current letters of reference attached as well.  It doesn't matter if you are working as an "employee", if they are happy with you and with your work, they should have no problem giving this to you.  If you are an "IC", it should be even easier since you ...

Recommendation For Those Ever-recurring Little Corrections.
Oct 25, 2009

You know, where you have to stop and type in a "his," "the," "no," "were," "and," or separate a run-on into 2 sentences, add a "She" to a sentence, change a letter, join 2 sentences into one, etc., because VR goofed. This has been working well for me:  Use SINGLE LETTERS (T, E, F, and so on) for the very most common words and corrections. Like T for "the," N for "no," E for "was", J for "has," F for macro that toggles letter from lower to upper and upper to lower ...

Coding Books Recommendation
Jun 09, 2010

Does anyone recommend any beginning coding books to explore the field of coding and possibly get a head start while I am awaiting school?   Thanks so much. ...

Transcription Program Recommendation?
Feb 22, 2012

Currently, I receive voice files by email, transcribe with Express Scribe, and print.   My doctor would like a way to be able to see what she has sent and what has been typed to be sure we are not missing something in the email, keeping up with tat and etc.     Hoping someone can recommend the best way to send and receive voice files so we both have access to the same information and with that information in an orderly fashion, something easy to understand and master the process ...

Need Recommendation To Replace SH Program...
May 29, 2012

I'm a Webmedx transplant.  Since early next year we will be unable to continue using Shorthand 10.0 program for word expansion, can someone recommend a good substitute that will be compatible with the Enterprise program and Escription?  Years ago I used PRD. Thanks in advance!     ...

Any Recommendation Wrt E-mail Services?
Sep 23, 2014

When I updated to windows 7, I lost outlook express email on my laptop and discovered -- Microsoft is not endearing in just this way -- that it cost about $35-40 as a stand alone. I don't really want to use G-mail for "everything" for privacy reasons -- any recommendations? Firefox offers "Thunderbird" and has a half-dozen recommendations .. "cheap" annual subscription, but not free. ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Line Count Program Recommendation
Nov 09, 2011

Can anybody recommend a reliable line count program that will count in the Word 2010 program?  I used to use Abacus which you could access directly in Word if you inserted a shortcut to it.  This way I could finish a document, count it, then close it with a password.  Abacus apparently doesn't work in Word 2010 and I've been experimenting wtih other counting programs but haven't found one that is as easy to use ... everything so far seems to require many more steps.  I use a g ...

Recommendation For Line Count Software
Jun 15, 2012

I've searched on MTStars high and low already and only get posts that are so old the links no longer work or the product is no longer available. My question is can someone recommend an inexpensive (under $50) Line Counting Software that counts headers/footers?  And could you please include a link so I can find this software?  It does not even have to gin up an invoice but just counts lines (including headers/footers).  Many thanks. ...

Career Step Graduates Recommendation
Aug 11, 2012

Any graduates of Career Step that can recommend the course?  Also, is it a licensed school.  I am told that it is based in Provo, Utah. ...

Recommendation For Web-based Email Service...SM
Dec 16, 2012

Hi All, My Cox email service has been out since Friday night with no end in sight.  Can anyone recommend a web-based service like Yahoo, etc., that is simple and safe, so I can open a temporary email for the meantime.  Thanks. ...

Anyone Using This Keyboard?
May 31, 2010

... the TypeMatrix (see link at bottom) If so (or otherwise) anyone using the Dvorak key layout?  Actually I was just trying to search for fast keyboards (as it seems like my keyboard is slow to react), and came across info on this.  Aside from the initial question, any tips on a regular keyboard with fast reaction and highlighting ability appreciated as well.  (I prefer an uncurved keyboard that isn't real large though.)  Thanks for any info you can give me! ...

What Keyboard Everyone Uses
Sep 05, 2010

Hi! Wondering what keyboards everyone uses. I currently have the logitech wave but think it is suffering a slow death and will be needing to purchase a new one soon. Any recommendations? Thanks! ...

Best Keyboard
Jun 21, 2011

I am going to be looking for a new keyboard.  I see most of you seem to like the split keyboard.  When I tried that at one time I couldn't get used to the 6 being on the wrong side of the keyboard (I use my right hand for it), for one thing.  Is this something you just get used to or do you all not have that problem to begin with?  Does anyone have an ergonomic keyboard that is not split that they like?  ...

Keyboard Help Please!
Nov 30, 2011

Please someone help.   Sometimes when I am typing my keyboard will just start typing wrong letters and/or numbers.   I have tried the num lock to no avail.   This only ever happens when I am typing on a platform.    Does anyone know a solution?  As always, thanks for any input! ...

Best Keyboard ???
Oct 16, 2012

Need a new keyboard and was wondering if any of you out there use a gaming keyboard for working as an MT?  If so, do you think they are better?  Which one would you recommend?  Thanks for your input. ...

DAS Keyboard?
Sep 03, 2013

Thinking about taking the plunge and investing in a DAS tactile keyboard.  It's a bigger investment than I've ever made in a keyboard. Does anyone here use a DAS keyboard or have used one?  If so, any feedback about it would be greatly appreciated.   TIA!!! ...

Need New Keyboard
Sep 13, 2014

Hello all, I am in need of a new keyboard.  I am using a Goldtouch now but the keyboard configuration does not really work for me, specifically the cntl, alt, and windows keys, as well as the home key.  I hit the wrong keys frequently, too much, and it hurts my production.  I do like the "touch" of it though.  I would like something that feels the same, a little bit spongy but not sticky.  Any suggestions.  TIA. ...

Keyboard
Jun 25, 2015

Hello, I am using a Microsoft split keyboard that is just about worn out and would like to know what most of you are using now. After using a split keyboard I do not think I could go back to a regular keyboard. Also, I keep the keyboard slanted to the left slightly which is more comfortable for me, probably because I am left-handed, but it does make to getting to some of the keys on my right hand a little difficult. Anyhow, just curious to see what most of you are using now. Thanks. ...

What Is The Best Type Of Keyboard?
Oct 13, 2009

I have a REALLY old, loud COMPAQ keyboard.  I am going to buy a new one soon.  What are the best kinds for transcription?  With mine, you really have to punch down on the keys, and I know that a lot of the newer ones are much easier to press.  Any ideas? ...

Keyboard Issues
Dec 07, 2009

Is anyone else having problems with their keyboard not working properly and sticking when in DocQScribe?  I changed the batteries in my keyboard but that didn't help.  This is an on and off problem in the past few days and I can't figure out if it's my keyboard, my computer, or DocQScribe.  ...

Quiet Keyboard
Jan 11, 2010

Hi all, Hoping this is on the "write" board. I'm looking for a keyboard for my Dell desktop that's quieter...like a laptop keyboard is. Any suggestions of model, where I can look, etc.? Personal experience with one is preferred... Thanks!! J ...

Footpedal Or Keyboard.sm
Mar 19, 2010

For those of you who are experienced with VR, do you use the footpedal to control the audio or the keyboard.   I am new to this.  I am used to using the footpedal but have heard from a couple of others that using the keyboard to control audio seems to be faster for them. I would like some opinions please.  Also, maybe you could tell me how long your learning curve was.  How long did it take to get your speed up to the point that you were making what you could make trans ...

Keyboard Protector
May 01, 2010

Does anybody use a keyboard protector/cover.  I am on my third keyboard this year due to spilling accidents (I think I better get a sippy cup).  Does a cover effect your typing at all? ...

Go To * Keyboard Stroke
May 06, 2010

Does anyone know how to create a keyboard stroke to "go to" a * in Word 2007?  For example:  Physical Exam:  Respirations *, Weight *, etc.  When you have a template or macro for the PE and you need to just go to the * and fill in............ Thanks so much! Nana ...