A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

NUANCE: Why do we put up with this?? I am so SM - Fed Up!

Posted: Jan 15, 2013

FED UP with this company it isn't even funny.

I've been an MT for 15 years and am a very positive, happy-go-lucky person. I do my work, NEVER complain, will work over if asked, always work holidays, MY BIRTHDAYS, even working through the summer so my colleagues can enjoy vacation with their families, so I don't even ask for time off. I've NEVER once taken PTO. Yes, believe it.

My QA score is around 99% and right now I average around 300 LPH editing. I'd say I was a pretty decent employee.

So, Nuance takes over my current company, Transcend. Fine. I'll go with the flow. Happened before. Let's do this.

My work station is about 5 years old. It did not come with MS Word. I thought my MS Word was 2003. It isn't. It's 2002. We need 2003 or higher.

Okay, so I guess I better start looking. But, the more I shop around, the ANGRIER I BECOME.

MS Word starts at 124.00 for version 10. MS 3 is around the same. Looks like I'd be paying around 80 bucks for a used version of one of them.

WTH is wrong with this picture? Why is Nuance NOT supplying us with Microsoft Word in order to complete our work to this 'EBeyond Tex? It makes no sense. Here's an example:

Let's say you get hired at Wal Mart as a Cashier. The first day on your job you go to your work station and there is NO CASH REGISTER. And the company says to you, "What do you mean you didn't bring your own cash register? We don't supply cash registers! You bring your OWN cash register to work with you every day. It's your job and responsibility to provide this in order to complete your work."  Isn't that just damn ridiculous? How is this any different?

We get numerous emails: You MUST have this version and this foot pedal or it won't work with the platform. And? Where is it then? Are you sending me one? Insert ****** here.

I have NEVER in 15 years gotten this upset with a company. I've spent, literally, thousands on books, education, etc., over the years and cannot believe we have to provide our own stuff to work for THEM.

Anyways, I'm out the door. Done. Put my notice in which is WHY I'm saying what I'm saying. 

Nuance: All I've done for the MT industry and you treat us like this. You and your billion dollar company ought to be ashamed of yourself.

As much money as they have and as many - companies as they are

[ In Reply To ..]
buying out, you would think they would send you a computer and a foot pedal. Its not like they cant afford it; after all, they only pay their MTs 4 cpl for editing and everyone makes the same across the board.

Im sure the indians make even less. Call them up and tell them to ship you the equipment.

I know. My friend just got hired by sm - Fed Up

[ In Reply To ..]
a small(er) MTSO. They sent her everything: New computer, keyboard, mouse, everything she needs to complete her work. They even sent her extra foam ear buds! I'm impressed!

I think that's what sent me over the edge. To know that a small MTSO would do this for an employee and for Nuance to do this to their employees.

I think they just don't have a clue. The MTSOs understand what you need for greater morale and what you need TO DO THIS JOB.

Fed Up - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's been said on this board many times, if you are happy with Nuance you are either new or just lucked out.

Nuance would not give us water if we were on fire, people. They care about nothing but TAT. I worked the entire weekend to help catch up an account (didn't have work during my "regular" hours). Do you think my TL or anybody even cares? NOT.

They can get away with it because they are so huge. I was talking with one of my children (college student) about the types of practices Nuance had and she really made me think about it. All huge companies abuse their employees because they have so many people to replace them with. Take McDonald's for instance, they have sooo much turnover because they pay minimum wage, but they could care less because consumers keep buying their products. Anyway, after a long discussion about this (I dont eat at fast food places), I decided to stop buying anything from Walmart and the big box stores. It is just one simple act that I CAN do to show my disapproval. It is going to hurt them? NO, but it makes me feel better about my choices.

MT is dying anyway and I am getting out before the ship sinks.

India can have my work!!

no, they can't - me

[ In Reply To ..]
If you had any idea how many people took computers, quit after a couple of days and never returned equipment, pedals, referance materials, etc., you'd rethink that statement. When you work at home you get tax benefits because you must provide your own equipment. Quitting one job to look for another won't help her either, I haven't seen one yet who does not require you buy your own work station items.

tax benefits? - can you explain?

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you claim for tax benefits if you are an employee? Have you personally claimed these benefits? Thanks.

I'll be behind you very soon. - out the door

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't wait until I can officially give my notice. The day is coming very, very soon. Replacement income is almost in place.

RE: I'll be behind you... - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Congrats!! you are one of the LUCKY ones for sure. I on the other hand am not so lucky!! I am trying desperately to find a replacement for these jobs other than MT. I can barely make ends meet, working for a company in So. Cal that put me on a low hourly pay and then cut it 10% 3 months later after I worked my butt off showing them how much Bang they Got for their BUCK! I just turned 63 and sure don't feel like going back to school at this stage of my life.These companies can treat us any way they like..nobody regulates them or protects us! I am not married and thankfully have no kids to try to feed on my measly income. I'm trying to get into another opportunity with a friend who owns a company but just isn't good at cold calls for new business. I'll get 10% of the monthly billing for each new client I get her. I have to do something else! Otherwise, say Hi as you drive past me on the street with a sign "WILL WORK FOR FOOD"!

It wasn't easy. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The second Nuance announced the Transcend pay cuts, I started putting out hundreds of applications to every opening in the area. I don't care if I have to work for minimum wage somewhere at this point. It's a matter of principle now. Fortunately out of those hundreds of applications that I put out, I got one response, and I took it. It's working in-house for a non-profit hospital paying VERY well. It's a horrible shift and schedule, but it will allow me to only have to work 1 job while I go back to school for something that isn't about to disappear.
Good for you! SM - Fed Up
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm proud of you. And everyone else who, by the order of principle, isn't putting up with this ****.

Things have happened rather quickly for me too. Looks like I'll be starting a new job (not a good shift though - but hopefully that will change) some time this week!

Good luck to everyone! Don't keep putting up with it. I'm not saying quit, as I know many of you just can't (I can't either), BUT, stand up for yourself. The more of us who do, the less they'll be able to get away with.

My husband.... - At home couple

[ In Reply To ..]
works at home for a company doing customer care work and he has to supply his computer and everything needed. That's the trend in most places - they presume if you work from home you don't mind paying for a PC and whatever is needed. No I don't agree, it's just the way most places have gotten. I have MT friends who work at home for hospitals and they not only have to supply their own PC but they can't use the PC for anything but their job which I think is totally not right. But their option is to agree to that or drive to the office to work and deal with office politics.

as well fed up - done with this

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree completely except now I voice my concerns to the TS who hasn't a clue. They also say you can stay clocked in for your 15-min break but that affects your line count so you could work an extra 15 to make up for that. I can't make money at 4 cents a line though they say you can kick butt and make tons. Well first of all the pay was cut in half so you have to work twice as hard as you did when you were typing and making 8 cents a line. We are effectively getting paid what they pay the people in India, how sad is that.

Hate the idea of leaving home after all this time, but - not much of a choice

[ In Reply To ..]
since most MT companies are cheating their employees or being bought out and yes, I did say cheating because that is exactly what these companies are doing-cheating us out of pay, cheating us out of time, taking from us everything they can and giving nothing in return. I have about 1 month to go and I am so out of this company and this business. I loved transcription when I first started. Beginning with the buyout it has been all downhill and I can't take it anymore. Nuance knows what they are doing and they don't care-they got plenty of India workers to do the job, which should be illegal. Bosses have big bank accounts while we struggle to buy food and rent or house payments. I know there are companies in every industry who don't do their employees right, but this company seems to be one of the worst ones and I can't wait to say bye-bye.

You wont regret it - sallyjo

[ In Reply To ..]
I too could no longer take the feeling of being cheated as well as the feeling of no longer being a professional in the medical field and made to feel like a factory worker jumping through hoops. Completely wiped away my dignity and I could not take it any more. I went out in the world and got a job in the real world and LOVE getting up and getting ready for work and even the long drive to get there...so totally worth it. Just leave and never look back.

MS Word - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have any idea what it would cost the company to provide this to everybody? Consider how many people start and stop within one day. MS Word is required on every job I've ever had in years and years, AND they offer a loan program for your to buy it AND it's tax deductible AND you can find it used online at companies like Amazon, Ebay, etc. The reason you get tax deductions for working at home is because you have to provide what you need to work.

What tax deductions? Only when IC, no? - wageslave

[ In Reply To ..]
There are no tax deductions unless you are self employed, are there? If you claim tax deductions and you are employee, can you elucidate? I would be very interested. I have asked when getting my taxes done been discouraged by H&R Block - it seems like you have to have a lot of documentation that your computer/office is specific for work use and also be self employed, but please tell me how you claim.

Yes, you can deduct expenses as employee - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
working at home for the convenience of your employer, as we do as MTs. The catch is the total of expenses has to exceed 2.5% of your AGI (last year anyway) and then you can deduct above that amount. If you file jointly with a spouse, of course that will affect the 2.5% if they make any money at all.

I used H&R block a couple of years, first couple of years was okay, but the last year, it was totally messed up and I ended up getting TurboTax and doing the taxes myself. He absolutely could not get the concept of statutory employee when I worked for MQ back in the day as stat. employee, that I was allowed as such to have do a Schedule C, no matter how many other W2s as employee I had, was so frustrating to try to talk to someone who was supposedly a tax expert and have to try to educate him, which he still could not get even when I provided documentation from IRS.

As employee, you can still claim expenses related to MT such as computer (I only took 80% on new computer since I have some personal stuff on it), reference materials, headphones, internet related to work, etc. I will try to find a link and post it in a bit. Just have to remember, will only be able to deduct amount that exceeds 2.5%, I think, AGI. Depending on your circumstances, may work out better for you if married filing separately.
So if your income was - say $30,000
[ In Reply To ..]
You would only be able to deduct the costs for the amount they exceed 2.5% or $750? So if I a new computer and software that amounted to some $1200, I could claim $450, but unfortunately I am married filing jointly for the other benefits that brings (not that even the income is much, but would make the 2.5% even harder to reach). Not really what I would call tax deductible benefits for most people.

With all due respect, when an employee does not return a computer, doesn't the company take the money off your pay and also is the computer/software deductible straight off their books (not just over 2.5%)? Forgive me if I am not feeling sorry for the MTSOs who feel THEY are the ones getting ripped off in this situation. Hardly an incentive for most people I'm afraid.

Here is one link for expenses from IRS - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
for expenses related to work not reimbursed by employer.

Similar Messages:

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

I Know The Nuance Questions Are Getting Old, But Just One More, Does Nuance Pay Shift Differential F
Mar 09, 2012

that fall during the shift.  For example, if half of your hours fall in 3rd shift and half fall in 1st shift, do the 3rd shift hours pay more cpl?  Or, do all hours have to fall within the shift to qualify?  Thanks, Yet another sad Transcend employee... ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

"Consider Returning To Nuance" - Just Received Email From Nuance
Jun 27, 2014

Wow. Posted this on company board but wanted to post here as well - some of you may feel vindicated. LPn ...

Nuance OSI
Apr 14, 2011

Any thoughts on this merger???? ...

Web/Nuance Ad
Sep 15, 2011

Does anyone know why the ad says "No inquiries from overseas" when they obviously offshore the work?  Anyone reading that would incorrectly assume they do not offshore.  I was reading an article in the newspaper that a journalist was talking about a few days ago regarding the hospital outsourcing to the Web/Nuance, and the spokesperson for the hospital said in the article that the company only employs US MTs.  ...

Nuance -?
Oct 08, 2011

xx ...

Nuance PTO ?
Oct 23, 2011

The ad Nuance has up says increased PTO.  Anyone willing to tell me what it is now. Also information on their bonus program would be helpful.  Thank you. ...

WMX/NUANCE Here It Is......
Nov 04, 2011

....First send us an email with fabulous Nuance ins (bad news) because they had to announce that due to open season. However at the same time telling us that the new pay structure (probably more bad news) will be announced at a later date but will be effective Jan 1 2012. Good way to keep us hanging on while they are so behind with their horrid platform. Guess what Nuance/Nuisance, it will not work as your reputation has gone from bad to worse and we are now realizing that the We ...

NUANCE/WMX
Nov 18, 2011

What do Nuance MT's get for editing and transcribing per line.   Thanks ...

WMX/Nuance Changes
Dec 06, 2011

If Webmedx does away with or changes their recently advertised "PRODUCTION BASED INCENTIVE" bonus and adopts the Nuance quality based bonus then this change may be considered by quite a few WMX employees as yet another cut in pay. I’m sure that there are quite a few MT’s currently at WMX that have a high QA average and are earning $300-$400 (some even more) in production incentive pay each pay period, which equates to $600-$800 per month. As an example, acco ...

QA Nuance
Dec 28, 2011

Did anyone hear anything about changes for QA.  I heard there was a webinar today? ...

Nuance W2s?
Jan 20, 2012

Has Nuance/Alphastaff released W2s yet?  Quit mid-December, have no idea.  Thanks! ...

For Nuance QA.. Sm
Mar 09, 2012

Is there a specific QA staff?  I was under the impression that the team managers did most of the QA.  Is that correct?  Or how is the QA done?  Someone said below that QA is paid hourly; I was under the impression it was cpl.  Any info on QA structure for Nuance would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Does Nuance Have IC's
Mar 09, 2012

Does anyone know if Nuance hires IC's?  I could not find it anywhere.  It could be a solution for me if they do.  Thanx in advance. ...

Nuance Job
Mar 12, 2012

I have an interview this week with Nuance. Any advice on what to expect? I'm interviewing for an MT job and have been reading some posts on here about the company and it's not looking good. ...

Wmx/Nuance
Mar 12, 2012

Had our usual update this morning from my AM, one of the best IMO and the reason many of us stayed after Nuance took over. Then at 1:30 an e-mail that he is no longer with the company??? What is going on???  (DO) ...

Nuance Help!
Mar 13, 2012

Can anyone help me with instructions on how to create a new entry in the carbon copy? I am getting lots of dictations where I can't find that particular physician in the CC list and need to create a new one. I am new and need help. Thanks in advance! ...

Does Nuance Really Pay Everyone The Same Across The
Mar 17, 2012

Is this true? Because if so that means they dont take into consideration years of experience, opportunity for increase or nothing. Seems kind of hard to work for an obviously big and successful company that is only willing to pay their employees 0.41 cpl and thats it, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I mean they dont come off to be the type of company that "cant" afford to give increases in pay to their transcriptionist. I heard that if you work from 10pm to 6pm you can make 0.46 cpl, bet ...

Pay At Nuance
Apr 08, 2012

Anyone willing to share how much per line they make with VR or straight transcription? Or any information how the company is with raises? Thank you ...

Fed Up With Nuance
Apr 19, 2012

I received an incentive bonus this paycheck (for the first time ever). My QA score was 99.3%. So, I get an email today from my supervisor that my latest audit was only 98.2% and they are going to reaudit me in 2 weeks to see if my score is improving or if I need further disciplinary action. WTF? I've been with Nuance for 3 years and think it's time to jump ship. This company is messed up, and the QA is so inconsistent. ...

Nuance Down Too?
May 22, 2012

Nuance servers were down all day yesterday as well as Transcend servers?  Really?  We were told in an email it had nothing to do with Nuance.  That's quite a coincidence, don't ya think?  Oh gosh, I sure hope this doesn't indicate the way things are going to go in the future with Nuance.  Does this happen often there? ...

Nuance Pto??
May 22, 2012

In house just got outsourced to Nuance.  In our meeting, they said the PTO is 10 days total, which you have to use for holidays and sick time as well.  So, if you take all 6 holidays (if that is even possible), you get 4 days off a year?  Not even a week for vacation left over.  Someone asked if that changes with time of service and they said no, that will never go up.  ARE YOU KIDDING?  Is this what the rest of you get for PTO, or is this just something they have s ...

I <3 Nuance. . .
Aug 02, 2012

I have been with Nuance a few years.  I'm an MT.  I'm not the best MT out there, nor am I the worst.  I read the comments on these boards and my jaw is on the floor.  FYI, not everyone has the bad experiences that have been discussed on this site.  I can't account for the horrible things I hear people saying about Nuance, except to say if things are really that bad for you, maybe MT is not for you or Nuance is not a good fit for your career path. ...

Nuance QCs
Aug 06, 2012

I AM SO LIVID!  These QCs are unbelievable!  I used "and" instead of "the" and the QC marks me off for English misspelling/typo which is a 0.5 error instead of an English word misuse which is less at 0.25. Do you think "and" and "the" are typos?  I think not!  You see, this is evidence that they are being totally unfair and proof that they do not want anyone to make incentive!  This is my opinion!  Anything to bring your score down!  Man this pisses me off!&n ...

Qtn About Nuance Pay
Aug 08, 2012

I don't work for Nuance but have a question.  Somewhere on MTStars, I saw the amount they deduct from your pay if your QA percentage is low.  Please explain.  How much do they pay per line and how much do they deduct if you have low QA percentage?  Thanks so much in advance.  I have looked and looked but can't find the previous post.  ...

QC/QA Pay At Nuance
Aug 16, 2012

There is someone who claims to be a QC for Nuance and that they are only paid minimum wage for this position.  That is utter nonsense.  Why would any experienced MLS take a minimum wage job in the MT industry when you could make more than that on production easily.  If you are experienced enough to be in QC or QA then please don't lie to the rest of us and tell us that you only make minimum wage.   ...

Job With Nuance
Aug 21, 2012

I am really in need of a job, and because I like eScription and ExText for the most part, I thought Nuance was the most likely candidate. However, I'm hearing terrible things about them. I know some have good experiences and some bad, but I'm not in a position where I want to struggle through several months of working and then quit because there's no money in it. I did have an interview, and my red flag was that the interviewer said that they had 80 to 100% ESL on some ac ...

QA/QCs At Nuance
Aug 21, 2012

Got to admit that I am still not a big fan of Nuance's QC/QA departments, but I have to admit I appreciate some of the nice comments they are leaving in feedback lately and are very appreciative.  I think there are still a few brutal ones out there though in saying this.  I these select few do this becauise it serves as some kind of gratification for them to make an MT miserable like they are so superior (like the MT is the dummy) when that is not the case at all.  I think s ...

Ode To Nuance
Oct 11, 2012

Ode to Nuance Here I sit day after day with NSAWatching all that I've worked so hard for slipping awaySo many bills I have to payBut I guess they will just have to wait for another day All my accounts they have been taken awayBecause other MTs out there are getting NSA Too much time wastedToo many opportunities missedWaiting on something that no longer existsYou ate up my employer and along with it my lifeTime to move on now and be done with this strife India is your new cash cowBut I ...

Thanks A Lot, Nuance...
Nov 02, 2012

After quitting my job to work for Nuance and spending hours training (supposed to be PAID training), I decided that Nuance just was NOT the kind of company I wanted to work for since I was blindly recruited (borderline lied to)...  So, I begged for my old job back (and got it), but knew I was going to get a short paycheck because of the time I spent training with Nuance... Well, I just checked my bank account, and I was not reimbursed one penny for the time...  Looks like I'll hav ...