A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AHDI wants to know why folks are not renewing CMT. - So Glad They Asked

Posted: Aug 27, 2012

Can't wait to mail my *reason* back to them.

I can hardly wait for the mailman to collect my reply, and this is just my opinion. I'm sending the below to all three persons at AHDI named on the inquiry.

1. My company (and others nowadays) do not recognize CMT status any longer.

2. Why should I *recertify* myself to obtain a basically minimum wage-paying career, which is what the MT field has become these days, and the pay is getting lower as time goes by.

I do applaud their efforts to turn this trend around, in saying that MTs are underpaid for the skill set it takes to perform this job.  Too little, too late.

10 years ago this was a VERY GOOD profession. It can be today if one is super fast reader/typer, and if one can become a *99-percenter* to get the bonus pay.

Reason: Past Presidents Made $ Teaching People Overseas to do our jobs cheaper - Reason: India and Barbados

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason for me is, past AAMT/AHDI directors and presidents made money teaching people overseas in India, Barbados, and possibly the Philippines to do our jobs for less money, cutting us out.

I'm still angry about that. What does it have to do with the CMT? Past directors pushed to make sure that those people who wanted to do our work for less than we can afford to charge can take the CMT. They made it easier for them at the same time they were making it hard for us.

They made it irrelevant for American MTs because they took the work away from us. They can't be trusted.

Some of the people who did this and profited on the backs of the American MTs are still there and still active, still thinking of new ways to make money off us. They will sell us out later if given another opportunity.

No thanks. I'm tired of giving them money to use against me.

Totally agree with all the above... so right on... - wise1

[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree... they sold us out...

And now they're lobbying to have the CMT become - mandatory. NO WAY, JOSE!!!!!!!

[ In Reply To ..]

Or, No way, Rasheed. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Because they didn't represent us well when they had the chance - No Going Back

[ In Reply To ..]
They had the chance to represent us. Instead, they chose to represent their own pocketbooks.

They never, ever, represented MTs at ALL. - All they care about is their own profits.

[ In Reply To ..]
AHDI is beyond the point of being able to "turn themselves around". In order to do that, it's likely a lot of their bloated, overpaid management force would have to get acquainted with a little bit of the same austerity we face every d*amned day.

No, I think they should just quietly close down and go away. Because sooner or later, someone's going to decide to investigate them, and FORCE them to shut down.

Now the gray-haired ladies are saying we need higher pay? - This is just another example of how SM

[ In Reply To ..]
they change something (Hyphenate one year, no hyphens the next year. No trailing zeros one year, it doesnt matter the next year) every year just to keep selling BOS, make themselve seem relevent and current. They are a joke. Old ladies with too much time on their hands.

And don't forget "disk-vs-disk"! I'm in that - particular Purgatory, myself, today. :(

[ In Reply To ..]

LOL - I meant "disk-vs-DISC". - mY Fingerz donnT wErk!

[ In Reply To ..]

Book of Style: Excellent - Selling Us Out Overseas: Unacceptable - My Vote if we are voting

[ In Reply To ..]
The BOS gives us something on which to base our decisions regarding grammar and punctuation. If you know it well enough, it makes it possible to transcribe better and faster, because you don't have to second-guess yourself.

The CMT also would have been a great idea if the MTSOs had acknowledged it, but they didn't.

The only things I don't like about the organization is, they used contacts made by being officers of the organization to get personal travel and jobs overseas that were against our interests. After they got that done, they decided to sell us any number of products and force-feed seminars and webinars. They gave us the impression if we didn't participate, that we would be losers. I did participate until I realized I wasn't getting anything out of those webinars.

I think we should be honest and give the good with the bad. Many people appreciate the value of the BOS. All of us will probably agree that selling us out by going to other countries to teach them how to charge less and cut us out, was wrong.

They need to acknowledge that, say they're sorry and won't do it again, and put policies in place to make sure that officers never profit at our expense again.

I'll keep my BOS, thank you very much - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm very happy with the BOS. Without it, there are no rules or standards at all. Let's be fair. There are lots of things not to like about the organization in question and the executive officers who took advantage of their positions. The BOS is a good idea though. It has made my work much easier and better for me. I'll take every break I can get these days.

ADHI - bye bye

[ In Reply To ..]
Ah ha, I think they did not represent the MT well at all. Plus, with earning minimum wage now who can afford to keep up with the credentialing anymore? Looks like it'll be time before they go under.

We can only hope - the sooner the better. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Re: MTs can't afford CMT-fees anymore, LOL!! They - sure shot themselves in the foot, there, didnt the

[ In Reply To ..]
Ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Twits.

Because they were always partnering with the MTSOs and vendors - but not with us

[ In Reply To ..]
When they started "partnering" with the large MTSOs and vendors to force on us policies, products, and webinars, that we neither wanted nor needed, they lost my respect. None of that was for our good. It was for the good of the people who were creating and promoting these things that benefit nobody but the people creating and promoting them.

Bet they've got a lotta BOS's piling up in their - warehouse, these days! Poor babies! ;p

[ In Reply To ..]

They won't get my input unless they PAY ME FOR IT. - I plan to exclude them, the way they did MTs.

[ In Reply To ..]
They leave us out of any input or decision-making for HOW many years? Just take our money, and give us nothing but grief in return?

And then they want us to tell them "why we don't renew"? (Or join in the first place, which is even better.)

I think they already know the answer to that question. They're just phishing for info. so that they can start fine-tuning whatever their next big money-making scam is.

As it was in the beginnig, is now, and ever will be - AHDI IS A SCAM.

I wonder why an MT organization - never seemed to be for the MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I once emailed them and questioned them on our pay rates and what they are doing about it to fight for the MTs and the response that I received was they couldn't speak to me unless I was a paying member. What a crock. If they are to be an organization for us, they don't help us at all unless we shell out money to help them. The BOS book, what another waste. Its good to know going through school, but after that forget it, you have to do what the company and account specs want, regardless of what BOS says.

There was more money to be made in destroying - the field than there was in supporting it, I guess

[ In Reply To ..]
N/M

I cancelled after my first year in 1978. - tynkerbelle

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems like they have not accomplished anything since then either.

A Few Bad Apples - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I think they accomplished a lot of good things, then a few bad apples got greedy and messed things up.

The Book of Style is a good thing. I give Claudia credit for that. Her name is on it.

The CMT was an excellent idea. The MTSOs didn't buy into it. That wasn't AAMT/AHDI's fault. A few bad AAMT apples decided that it was more important what the MTSOs wanted than what was good for the MTs. If MTs had been required to have certification, the serious-level CMT, many people who call themselves MTs wouldn't be able to work until they improved their skills. That would be a very good thing for all of us, but a few bad apples didn't let that happen.

Then, greed got into it in a big way. Directors and officers were offered big money to teach MT to people outside the United States. The money took precedence over ethics.

Greed has continued with different groups and individuals pressuring the powers that be at what is now AHDI, to sell their products, webinars, software, etc. I believe AHDI has gone along because they need money, and they get a share of everything that is sold. The problem with that is, it isn't in the best interests of the members. All of those products and webinars haven't done anything but make money for the people selling them.

If they would stop trying to make money off all of us and start trying to let the organization serve the membership, not past presidents and directors, not big corporations, not MTSOs, it would be worth belonging.

Nope. BOS is nitpicky fluff of no consequence. - CMT is a worthless non-certification title.

[ In Reply To ..]
It was a get-rich scheme from the very beginning. Brilliant, really. Except that when they championed the offshoring of our work, and the lowering of our wages, they made it so that most MTs with anything between the ears but empty space would question the value of the BOS, the validity of the CMT, and the very existence of this so-called "for-the-MTs" organization.

S - Superficial,
C - Contrived,
A - and
M - Meritless!

You have some good points. sm - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
Since I am not a formally trained MT, AAMT actually was a great org for me to gain info from. This was in the mid 1980s. But as others pointed out, there were many missteps as well. I wanted to be a CMT but could not justify the cost as more MTSOs stopped offering respect and better pay for it. Also, the membership dues kept going up and my pay down, so my membership went bye-bye.

Everyone should have figured this out back when they changed their name.. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
from the American Association for Medical Transcription to AHDI...removing American from their title. Although, I had it figured out loooong before then that they cared naught for the MT and stopped renewing my membership.

Claudia didn't do that one. Peter did. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember when that happened. Claudia had already deserted, uh, I mean moved on. Peter, or whatever his name is, was the one who decided on the name change. There's plenty of mistakes to go around. This one was his.

Instead of being bitter about it - My Plan

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I'm disgusted with what these leaders did. I will never again put myself in a position of depending on any of those individuals who sold us out. That doesn't mean that they don't recognize that what they did was wrong. Maybe it's time to forgive and forget. I'm not saying that we should ever allow them any power over us, our lives, or our careers ever again, but it's probably time to move on---without them. That's what I hope to do.

You're right. Most of us "got the memo" even before - they changed their name! n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

WMX CMTs-Will You Be Renewing Your CMT...sm
Dec 18, 2009

credential when it comes up for renewal?  They aggressively pushed this credential a few years ago and I got it (I felt pressured to), but I really hear nothing about wanting a credentialed work force from the company now. Due to the fact that our insurance has really been stink-o starting last year and this year's deductible is now $500 higher with no raise in 3+ years, I am seriously thinking about dropping it.  I was wondering if anyone else was going to do that ...

Okay Webmedx Folks...
May 30, 2011

What is a SWAT team position?  I have never heard of that, so I was curious what it was.  ...

Older Folks
Oct 26, 2011

Anyone in their 60's (I'm 66) who is studying to become a coder?  If I begin with Andrews, I will be probably 68 when I'm ready to apply for a job.  Is this realistic, or should I save my money?  Thanks. ...

So Long Folks
Nov 20, 2013

I've posted here from time to time and now I will say good-bye.  I've typed my last line for MM.  I'm fortunate that I am able to retire and I have nothing but sympathy for those of you who must remain.  Will probably still check the board occasionally.  Hope you can all survive. ...

.......And That's All She Wrote Folks!!!!
Mar 10, 2014

After a buy-out, pay cuts, more pay cuts, lies, PTO that never gets approved, mandatory overtime, working 7 days a week, empty accounts, and finally an accuracy rate of 99.6% (soon to be 99.7%).... many tears, sleepless nights, worrying, and making myself sick - I finally have made the move.... and I'm outta here!!!!!!   And with the new CEO letter that came out today... perfect timing!!   I wish you all well if you stick it out with this miserable company.  I hope ...

TransTech Folks
Sep 04, 2014

The silence is deafening. I'm waiting for something to happen this week, just don't know what it is. Has anyone lost an account to India yet? I haven't lost my account yet but I'm sure that's going to happen someday sooner if not later. Too bad they couldn't have been more open and honest with us.  ...

Softscript Folks
Jan 07, 2015

Does anyone work for, or have any input on Softmed?  I see their ads on MTDaily, but never see anything posted (recently) here.  Thanks ...

Any Folks From MDI Get Notified Of Pay Decrease?
Oct 16, 2009

Has anyone been notified that they are not producing enough so their cpl is being cut?  Have you been reduced/demoted to prn?  Is the reason you have not produced enough because there is seldom work available?  I see trouble ahead.  ...

Questions For Current QA Folks.
Nov 02, 2010

Was wondering when the ad reads CPL for QA if that means the lines for the whole report you QA or just what you fill in for blanks.  Also, with your company, do you do feedback to the MTs?  I did QA a few years ago and do realize requirements in this position most likely are different with each company. but in that experience, I was required to give feedback on their form and it was such a cumbersome and time-consuming form, I made more doing VR/text. ...

Switch To Coding, Folks
Oct 15, 2012

It's Gonna Be A Long Day Folks
Nov 23, 2012

nm ...

Keystrokes Folks: How Are Things?
Nov 09, 2013

Is it worth applying these days? Thanks for your honesty. ...

Can You Folks Get This, Not Sure Of The Exact Spelling
Feb 23, 2015

She improved after taking a s/l "crunel bar" and an orange. Thanks in advance! ...

Just Baked A Cake, Folks...remembering When
Dec 13, 2011

around this time in the afternoon, yesteryear...I would take a look at my line count. It might read 2500 or so...I might decide to take a hiking, biking or swim break and if I chose, come back later at night and add another 1000 into the mix for the day...that would be a $350.00 day. Work flowed 'round the clock, I stayed in hotels for 1 or 2 months out of the year--window by the sea, as I transcribed away in front of a gorgeous view...but today, the only numbers before me are those on the ...

May I Make A Suggestion To Younger Folks
Nov 12, 2013

Here's one that I wish someone had recommended to me back when I was pursuing my bachelor's degree:  Take ROTC.  Seriously.  When you graduate with that experience on your resume, prepared to be a military officer, you won't regret it.   Here's another one I wish I had considered when I was younger, which may still be available to me even at my age:  Library Science.  sounds boring right? When I was in school I'm sure I thought, "I don ...

Now I Understand Why Folks On Here Loved Ambulatory. Sm
Oct 28, 2014

Now I understand how there were glowing reports of being happy and making good money.  Welcome to the way acute care works ambulatory folks.  We have a pool of accounts and reports come in with the one closest to turnaroundtime first. No picking or choosing what you transcribe or edit.  Like I have 7 accounts and get all work types and dictators. At least that is how it works for my group that was swallowed up by the N.  We have a schedule and we have to stick to it unless we ...

401K Benefits Are Available To Part-time Folks?
Mar 12, 2012

Does anyone know off the top of their head if the 401K benefits are available to part-time folks?  ...

Seems A Good Time To Post This Information Again, For Any New Folks.
Mar 05, 2015

Please be aware that communicating with anyone privately via the email address you utilized to set up this account permits a straight path to your computer. The folks you would LEAST want to know who posted whatever you might have posted are VERY slick at coming off completely innocently when asking you to "please send this to me if you are not comfortable posting it to the board." This is your hint to say, "no thanks, I'll stick to the public board." If you slip up and do as they ask, thes ...

Oh, Wait Bayscribe/futurenet Folks...changes Are Forthcoming And We
Mar 19, 2015

nm ...

M*Modal Folks: Do You Really Have To Log Out Just To Take A Bathroom Break Or Stretch Your Legs? Is
Sep 03, 2012

That is utterly horrible.  I had been thinking of applying for part-time to supplement my full-time job, but this is too much.  I used to work for Transcriptions Ltd way back before MQ got involved.  I work for Nuance now (came from a great company they bought out...grrr).  ...

Hey Wannie, Isn't It Nice That We Do Not Have To Endure The Wrath Of The Bitter MQ Folks Anymor
Dec 17, 2011

I must say, so not going to miss the bitter ornery folks on this board!  Soo glad to be out!!  Doing the happy dance as we speak!  I hope you "steal" a few extra lines this week! ;) Enjoy that cushy day shift a few more days (yes, my tongue is in my cheek).  I don't think there is anything cushy about wondering if you can pay your bills because MQ took all your old accounts and gave them away to their "old" employees without any regard for the people that had to work fo ...

AHDI BOS
Dec 04, 2010

What is the most recent AHDI BOS?  Is it the 3rd edition?  What has changed from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.  When will a new edition come out and will it be AHDI? Thanks in advance, Barb ...

What I Want From AHDI
Jun 14, 2012

People ask me what I want from AHDI or if it's worth being a member. I am a member. I ask myself why I still pay my membership dues and what I hope to get in return for that money. That's a tough question. Years ago I learned from their journal. I met lots of great people at conventions and seminars. Then the journal and web site started being more promotional instead of educational or professional. There was always something new that was going to change our lives if we would just sig ...

Thank You AHDI
Sep 10, 2013

MMODAL for taking my profession of being a skilled worker making a living rate, and turning it into a menial, pull them off the street, minimum wage worker. We are the new gutter rats. I have no good will toward this company any longer, and as for AHDI (only a fool joins them), I think you know what you can do, ditto MM. ...

AHDI BOS 3
Oct 10, 2014

I recently began a new position where they adhere to the AHDI Book of Style 3 guidelines.  Obviously, not having used this version before I was not aware one of the wonderful changes AHDI has made.  I understand AHDI exists to set the standards as one of their main objectives.  I also was under the assumption that AHDI had been made up primarily of MTs (at least that is who made them to start with) and has grown to include MTSOs.  What I find so infuriating and baffling at t ...

Here Is My Correspondence With AHDI
Mar 03, 2010

I got this note from a guy named Doggett in response to a note I sent to ADHI about throwing roadblocks in front of MTs to getting work and earning a decent living: "On March 24, AHDI members and staff will go to Capitol Hill to speak with their federal legislators, key members of the House and Senate, and administrative agency officials about the critical need for “meaningful use” and EHR certification regulations to recognize how medical transcriptionists work hard to ensure the a ...

AHDI Membership
Apr 19, 2010

Can anyone help me register for the AHDI membership.  I haven't done this yet and can't figure it out.  I'm so confused.  When I go to the web page and try to register it keeps wanting me to pay $135.  Isn't this supposed to be free now with MQ? ...

AHDI An Advocate?
May 24, 2010

I went to the AHDI web site to see if they might actually be an advocate for transcriptionists, who are always at the bottom of the ladder in most companies.  We are the worker bees and there all the queens, who reign supreme.  Imagine my surprise when at the top of the screen, there is a banner for Transcend, advertising that "they are always looking"   ... How can an organization that espouses to care about transcriptionists advocate for a specific company ... I k ...

AHDI RENEWAL
Jul 11, 2010

??  Is it worth it?  At $135 I think they are getting a bit greedy......I'm just sending out feelers.  Money is tight and I just don't know if it is worth it at this point in time. ...

How Does Ahdi Want July 4th?
Aug 30, 2010

When a Dr is dictating about "July 4th" is it correct to say July 4th? or should it be transcribed as July Fourth? ...