A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any folks from MDI get notified of pay decrease? - Homeschooler

Posted: Oct 16, 2009

Has anyone been notified that they are not producing enough so their cpl is being cut?  Have you been reduced/demoted to prn?  Is the reason you have not produced enough because there is seldom work available?  I see trouble ahead. 

Have you? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you speculating or did this happen to you? They have had a policy for years that you get moved to prn status with a pay cut if you regularly don't work your scheduled lines.

cpl cut - Homeschooler

[ In Reply To ..]
Not to me but to an MT I know from there. She would sit there and and wait and had no work to do and then was cut for not having made her quota.

I question that. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
MDI has been very good about being reasonable, in my experience. I find it hard to believe this happened quite in that fashion. I would bet that if she communicated, as she should, that she was unable to get her lines in due to lack of work, that would not have happened. If she even communicated after the being informed of a prn status. It would be just totally uncharacteristic to have been done in this way.
Uncharacteristic? Maybe of the MDI of old but that MDI is gone. NM - Fran
[ In Reply To ..]
no sir, maybe after jan 1, but not gone yet. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Decrease in pay - MDIMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The MDI that I am working for now, out of Maryland,has never done that, and no one that I know of has ever mentioned that. This was not communicated to us by the owner or the staff either.
I was with MDI-MD and it just happened to me 2 days ago - RubySoho
[ In Reply To ..]
Your turn will come. This is the beginning of the end of the MDI-MD we all knew and loved.

Remember, there's a whole new crew in charge there now.
In sympathy with Ruby - Another faceless MDIer
[ In Reply To ..]
We were all sold out for 16 million dollars. The MDI we knew and loved is no more. I suspect that come 1 January, even the cheerleaders will feel the effects of the new regime. Denial cannot last forever. And so it goes in this business......
Denial? - DMZ
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think I'm in denial - I think I'm assessing the situation and will do what's best for me when the time comes. Even with a small pay cut, to me, the benefits may be well worth it. I have seen both positive and negative comments about this merger - I am wondering if the negatives are coming from those transcriptionists that aren't the major producers or make less to begin with....I don't know, we only have one side of everyone's story/feelings....hope that everyone makes the right choice for themselves, but I don't see why we continue with the negative posts - I'd rather be an optimist than a pessimist any day - if that comes back to kick me in the a** then I'll just use my philosophy of everything happens for a reason...sometimes we are made aware of the reason other times we never know....Good luck to all MDIers, both former, present and those in between. :)
How unfortunate optimism has no cash value and cannot pay the bills - RubySoho
[ In Reply To ..]
Carlotta, is that you???
Paying bills - DMZ
[ In Reply To ..]
I am managing to pay mine - everyone has options. You can complain or you get moving and get a second job to keep things status quo. I chose the latter, and it's working out very well. GOod luck to you.
You are sadly mistaken - RubySoho
[ In Reply To ..]
You are thinking OLD MDI-MD mode, not the NEW MDI-MD mode.

Prepare yourself; this is NOT the MDI-MD of the past.

Not just a demotion to PRN, but totally locked out of Bayscribe - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
Right after I finished a lengthy report and submitted it, I was informed via Bayscribe that my account had been deactivated.

As I said in my other post, I'm suing them for breach of contract. They failed to provide my daily line requirement, then cut my pay and made me "PRN" status, which translates to "TERMINATED."

I'll show THEM what termination means when my attorney gets done with them.

More fear mongering - Happy Camper

[ In Reply To ..]
If you aren't producing enough to meet what you committed, there should be communication by yourself with MDI. There IS enough work. Since I started, I have never not been able to get my lines in. If you aren't getting enough work and just sitting there, you should be talking to MDI. As the poster above stated, there has always been prn status and when MTs are just not showing up for their lines committed and not even bothering to check in, prn status is often recommended quite firmly. Makes sense to me. If there are ANY extenuating circumstances why someone can't meet or make lines, talk to MDI supervisors. I don't buy the seeing Trouble Ahead. I think there are people who just want to think negatively about everything to do with MDI. It's getting really really old.

More fearmongering - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
Why is it that some people think that everything is the MTs fault? Just because you, Happy Camper, are a happy camper doesn't make it so for everyone. Are you a seasoned MT who is on the higher end of what used to be a decent pay scale? I know too many MTs personally who have been demoted so to speak because they can't get their lines because of NO WORK AVAILABLE. I happen to know they have asked for more accounts and more work but it has not been forthcoming. It appears to me that many MTSOs would like to shed their higher paid MTs and replace them with inexperienced newbies to increase their bottom line profit.

My 2 cents... - DMZ

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be foolish to replace seasoned MTs with newbies - good way to ruin your reputation or lose an account in the interim while waiting for them to "season." :) I think the reason MDI has been a stand alone biz for so many years is because they pay their MTs so well for their experience. Just my 2 cents worth, doesn't mean some places aren't doing it, but I don't see MDI taking that route. They have worked for many years to keep their reputation stellar. I'm still hanging in there with them because they have been very good to me this last 4 years...

Thanks, GP, you are 100% correct (see message) - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
I would check in repeatedly throughout the day (only part-time, so I unlike others could not babysit my accounts 24/7 as I had an 8-hour chunk for my regular job.

I forwarded all of the emails regarding the lack of work to my personal email account, I screen-shot my final screen when I was locked out of Bayscribe as proof that I was NOT made PRN but terminated (let's face it, PRN would need access to Bayscribe to work), my signed contract, etc.

I'm also turning them into the IRS for noncompliance with IC regulations, and have forwarded those emails to my personal email address wherein veiled threats about losing accounts if we did not sign on to work, etc., as well other emails clearly in violation of IC regulations.

The Labor Board and the IRS are going to be getting stacks of information from me, and I hope it benefits ALL MTs, not just myself.

To those of you 'happy campers', I truly am glad for you....but just remember, your time is coming, January 1st if not before.

Good luck to all involved in this mess.
Curious Ruby Soho - DMZ
[ In Reply To ..]
Were you an IC or were you statutory? Big difference. I didn't think there were an IC's at MDI - just statutory employees like myself. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but new or old MDI, there must be more to the story for them to totally shut you out of their programs?
You keep telling yourself that, DMZ - RubySoho
[ In Reply To ..]
When YOUR turn comes,and it will, I'll remind you that it must be something YOU did to cause it.

It's always the MTs fault, right?

I'd LOL but I haven't finished my coffee yet.

We'll leave it up to the Labor Board and IRS to determine whose 'fault' it was, mkay?
Ruby Ruby - DMZ
[ In Reply To ..]
Did I say anything was your fault? You make it sound like you were persecuted or something...all I asked was if you were statutory status or an independent, as I thought there was only statutory status offered....and I'm sure there are 3 sides to the story, yours, theirs and the truth lies somewhere in between. If it upset you so much, why didn't you call to find out what was going on and why you couldn't log in? That would have been the practical thing to do, don't you think?

MDI is no more - doubting thomas

[ In Reply To ..]
Wait until the total change takes place. If you could read the old boards you would know that Transcend overhires and most people can't meet their lines. Or wait until the VR pay takes over and you type the same amount every day but get paid half of what you got before. Not a pay cut? They don't call it that, they just change the programs and you can't survive on it.

Right, MDI isn't MDI anymore. MDI might have a reputation - but Transcend owns now sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The above poster is correct that many MTSOs are swapping seasoned MTs for eager newbies. Most MTSOs are more concerned with quantity than quality. Some of the best MTs have been replaced by ones that get out 2000 lines a day but make many critical errors and won't look up anything. It's overlooked by both MTSO and client. Sad but true. Have you seen some of the reports doctors are putting out in EMR? Quality of reports is simply not at the top of their list of priorities.

MDI - DMZ

[ In Reply To ..]
Will wait to see what happens - I'm an optimist. Whatever is going to happen will happen whether or not I worry about it - so why waste my energy in that way. We all find ways to survive in any industry and to pay our bills....keep the faith.
I'm with you DMZ, trust, be positive - why waste time! NM - Happy Camper
[ In Reply To ..]
nm.

You are confusing MDI Maryland with MDI Florida - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
MDI Florida either merged with or was taken over by Transcend.

MDI Maryland is a totally different company and has nothing to do with Transcend.
Two MDIs - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
MDI-Florida merged with Transcend 3 years ago or so. I don't think they are a branch of Transcend anymore but rather just Transcend now. MDI-Maryland was bought by Transcend a few months ago, finalized on Sept. 1 I think. There is still MDI-Maryland but it is a subsidiary of Transcend now. Nothing has changed as of yet but there are some changes coming Jan. 1.
MDI (Gaithersburg) - DMZ
[ In Reply To ..]
No confusion - the MDI in Gaithersburg is merging with Transcent - we were notified in mid August.

You keep telling yourself that....No Message - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
Sad.

Yes I have had my pay cut due to lack of production - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
And I'm getting an attorney and suing them for breach of contract.

Don't feel alone; I think this how they are weeding out a bunch of us since those charming offshoring folks at TransTech do not have enough work as it is, much less with the extra MTs from MDI they're inheriting.

I still question the situation. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, we are not merging with TransTech, but with Transcend. Cannot help but wonder if there are other issues at play here.

However, after my previous experience with MQ, will certainly be keeping my eyes open and looking for red flags.

Transcend, not TransTech - DMZ

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry for what happened to you, but there has to be more to the story...D is a lawyer, and I'm sure would have more sense than to breach any rules....maybe I'm wrong, but for now, as I said, I'm staying put...were you full time or part time? What kind of accts did you work on? Do you think this had anything to do with it?

Is MDI the same as Transcend? n/m - Bobbi54

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Yes,Transcend bought MDI and now is in charge - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
On and aftr January 1st,there are apparently a lot more changes coming down the pike, too, not the least of which I hear are pay cuts and a total lakc of work for the current Transcend MTs.

Don't believe me? I could post DMs email here that says precisely that but that would be against forum rules and a tad tacky, even for my standards.

Just remember, your turn is coming. SOON.

Similar Messages:

Notified Of 12% Pay Cut Today :-(
Aug 13, 2010

I just received notice that my line rate is decreasing 1 cpl.  A year and a half ago it had dropped 1 cpl also... and all as an IC.  This will hurt.  But what to do?  I will stay as it is good work, good management, I know most of the accounts.... some are buggers though.. Only 7-1/2 years until I can retire to at least part time... hope I can survive until then.  No way can I put in anymore hours than I already am.  I am hoping for an after-school babysitting job ...

So Do We Think They've Chosen & Notified All 60?
Mar 20, 2014

x ...

Now The Truth About Those Not Notified.
Mar 21, 2014

Just got an email that said I was put on a wait list.  I will know by close of day on Wednesday if I got a slot.   ...

Notified I Have 98% Accuracy - Is This A THREAT?
Jan 02, 2014

This company is undoubtedly the most ruthless company I've ever worked for. Nothing is good enough, NOTHING! ...

Decrease In Pay!!!!
Feb 28, 2010

Has anyone received a raise lately from MedQuist? I've been working for Medquist for 9 years. I was roped into becoming a medical editor 4 years ago with the promise of making more money because I wouldn't be typing. They told me that I would be 80% of my base MT pay....then 1 year later they decreased it to 70% of base pay and then now 60% of my base pay. When I complained about this to my supervisor, she said that she was told that Medquist was going to somehow update the software wi ...

Rate Decrease
Nov 24, 2009

During this transition time I was trying to decide between IC status and employee status.  I was doing this because I thought that being an IC would save my 1/2 cpl decrease that you get with employee status.  However, in my packet, my rate is now 9 cpl, down the 1/2 cpl as mentioned, but the choices were still FT, PT or IC.  That makes me wonder if we all got cut down to 9 cpl and even if I would have decided to go with IC status, my rate would still have been cut.  Did any ...

Decrease In MT Salaries.
Sep 24, 2012

Husband just called, was listening to Dave Ramsey - A man called the show and stated his wife's income had decreased by $900/month.  Ramsey was astounded and asked why?  Man explained that his wife was a medical transcriptionist.  It's now been on national radio, not a secret anymore. ...

What Dept Is Notified When A Patient Leaves AMA With Equipment Attached
Oct 12, 2011

? ...

This Newest Decrease In Pay Reinforces My Decision
Mar 02, 2010

to quit.  I gave my notice last week.  CCM called and talked me into staying.  I said I would try it out a couple of more weeks.  The next day I got 2 ASR reports, one a 9 minute report with over 200 corrections and a 4 minute report with 56 corrections.  I was so ticked off that I just logged off on Friday and haven't logged back in since.  I haven't checked my e-mail, so I don't know if I have been fired yet.  This newest screwing makes me ...

How Do You Decrease Playback In EMDAT/Inscribe
Nov 01, 2014

I have racked my brain trying to figure this out and it's driving me nuts.  When I let up off the foot pedal the dictation goes back too far.  Anybody out there know?  Please help. ...

Notified Of Meeting This Week To Go Over All Major Errors For Our Main Account
Aug 04, 2013

Got email stating conference call this week for all of our "errors" we are making - what fun!! ...

Recommend Continuted Use Of Zan Acid To Decrease Heartburn.
Jan 10, 2011

? ...

Antibiotic To Decrease The *colony Counter* Ulcers In Her Foot ...sm
Apr 26, 2011

I would add an antibiotic to decrease the *colony counter* ulcers in her foot and try to speed up the healing with doxycycline. ...

Been Noticing Major Decrease In Work Volumes In West
Sep 08, 2011

just wondering if anybody else in west has been noting marked decrease in work volumes.  My major acct used to have, at least on weekends, 200, 300, and even in the 400 numbers of jobs and lately the weekend work has maybe been 50 at a maximum.   I guess just another acct gone to India.    ...

Okay Webmedx Folks...
May 30, 2011

What is a SWAT team position?  I have never heard of that, so I was curious what it was.  ...

Older Folks
Oct 26, 2011

Anyone in their 60's (I'm 66) who is studying to become a coder?  If I begin with Andrews, I will be probably 68 when I'm ready to apply for a job.  Is this realistic, or should I save my money?  Thanks. ...

So Long Folks
Nov 20, 2013

I've posted here from time to time and now I will say good-bye.  I've typed my last line for MM.  I'm fortunate that I am able to retire and I have nothing but sympathy for those of you who must remain.  Will probably still check the board occasionally.  Hope you can all survive. ...

.......And That's All She Wrote Folks!!!!
Mar 10, 2014

After a buy-out, pay cuts, more pay cuts, lies, PTO that never gets approved, mandatory overtime, working 7 days a week, empty accounts, and finally an accuracy rate of 99.6% (soon to be 99.7%).... many tears, sleepless nights, worrying, and making myself sick - I finally have made the move.... and I'm outta here!!!!!!   And with the new CEO letter that came out today... perfect timing!!   I wish you all well if you stick it out with this miserable company.  I hope ...

TransTech Folks
Sep 04, 2014

The silence is deafening. I'm waiting for something to happen this week, just don't know what it is. Has anyone lost an account to India yet? I haven't lost my account yet but I'm sure that's going to happen someday sooner if not later. Too bad they couldn't have been more open and honest with us.  ...

Softscript Folks
Jan 07, 2015

Does anyone work for, or have any input on Softmed?  I see their ads on MTDaily, but never see anything posted (recently) here.  Thanks ...

Questions For Current QA Folks.
Nov 02, 2010

Was wondering when the ad reads CPL for QA if that means the lines for the whole report you QA or just what you fill in for blanks.  Also, with your company, do you do feedback to the MTs?  I did QA a few years ago and do realize requirements in this position most likely are different with each company. but in that experience, I was required to give feedback on their form and it was such a cumbersome and time-consuming form, I made more doing VR/text. ...

AHDI Wants To Know Why Folks Are Not Renewing CMT.
Aug 27, 2012

Can't wait to mail my *reason* back to them. I can hardly wait for the mailman to collect my reply, and this is just my opinion. I'm sending the below to all three persons at AHDI named on the inquiry. 1. My company (and others nowadays) do not recognize CMT status any longer. 2. Why should I *recertify* myself to obtain a basically minimum wage-paying career, which is what the MT field has become these days, and the pay is getting lower as time goes by. I do applaud their efforts ...

Switch To Coding, Folks
Oct 15, 2012

It's Gonna Be A Long Day Folks
Nov 23, 2012

nm ...

Keystrokes Folks: How Are Things?
Nov 09, 2013

Is it worth applying these days? Thanks for your honesty. ...

Can You Folks Get This, Not Sure Of The Exact Spelling
Feb 23, 2015

She improved after taking a s/l "crunel bar" and an orange. Thanks in advance! ...

Just Baked A Cake, Folks...remembering When
Dec 13, 2011

around this time in the afternoon, yesteryear...I would take a look at my line count. It might read 2500 or so...I might decide to take a hiking, biking or swim break and if I chose, come back later at night and add another 1000 into the mix for the day...that would be a $350.00 day. Work flowed 'round the clock, I stayed in hotels for 1 or 2 months out of the year--window by the sea, as I transcribed away in front of a gorgeous view...but today, the only numbers before me are those on the ...

May I Make A Suggestion To Younger Folks
Nov 12, 2013

Here's one that I wish someone had recommended to me back when I was pursuing my bachelor's degree:  Take ROTC.  Seriously.  When you graduate with that experience on your resume, prepared to be a military officer, you won't regret it.   Here's another one I wish I had considered when I was younger, which may still be available to me even at my age:  Library Science.  sounds boring right? When I was in school I'm sure I thought, "I don ...

Now I Understand Why Folks On Here Loved Ambulatory. Sm
Oct 28, 2014

Now I understand how there were glowing reports of being happy and making good money.  Welcome to the way acute care works ambulatory folks.  We have a pool of accounts and reports come in with the one closest to turnaroundtime first. No picking or choosing what you transcribe or edit.  Like I have 7 accounts and get all work types and dictators. At least that is how it works for my group that was swallowed up by the N.  We have a schedule and we have to stick to it unless we ...

401K Benefits Are Available To Part-time Folks?
Mar 12, 2012

Does anyone know off the top of their head if the 401K benefits are available to part-time folks?  ...