A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What can I deduct working from home? - gagirl

Posted: Jan 28, 2010

For those who have filed taxes, can you give me some insight as to what I can write off on my taxes being self-employed? Any suggestions and advice would be most apprecieated.

some things, but I would still ask a professional - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
portion of electric/gas bill, portion of internet bill, any costs needed to maintain business (if you have to print things, ink and paper...), any new items for office (chair, mouse, monitor...).

I would contact a tax accountant for specifics because only a portion of electric/gas is claimable dependant on square footage of entire dwelling compared to footage of office.

Same with internet if it is used for personal as well as work, which if you are posting here... that is personal.

Deductions - dsauverwald

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an IC for 3 years now from my home and I know exactly what deductions you can claim:

1. Internet.
2. Phone (if long-distance is a requirement in your IC contract).
3. Heating/Electric bill.
4. Supples (paper, printer ink, pens, computer chair, desk, etc. etc.)
5. Rent/Mortgage: (divide the square footage of your home by how many rooms you have in your home. Ex: 1000 square feet/5 = 200 square feet. The tax company will need this number for documentation purposes. Then, take your rent or mortgage and divide that by how many rooms you have, and that is how much you can claim of your housing expense).

Pretty much anything that is required to sustain your business and keep you working is tax deductable. A lot of the time the tax professional will be able to find other deductions to, so I agree with talking to them as well. But, having the above figures organized will help in the process.

Additions to your list - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an IC now for a couple years. Each year I have my tax lady to my taxes just because I feel safer that way.

On the phone, my tax lady said if it is designated for work only.

So in addition to those you listed I deduct:

1. Water.
2. Garbage.
3. The cost to have my taxes done
4. Education.
Mileage to the bank or to run errands for supplies. - i.e., office supplies
[ In Reply To ..]
If anything I purchased will be used for my work, I keep track of that mileage and deduct it.

Receipts? - rainbo

[ In Reply To ..]
Are we required to save receipts for every thing we claim or is there some other way to do it? What I mean is, is there a standard allowed amount that you can claim without having to save all the receipts as proof?

I hope that wasn't a dumb question. I just started working as an IC this year so I have a full year to keep up with receipts if that's the case.
If you claim it, you had better have a receipt to - JT
[ In Reply To ..]
back you up. I save all my utility bills, receipts from buying ink for the printer, internet bills, etc.

I would have to disagree. - Posting here is part of my work.

[ In Reply To ..]
I ask questions on the word board, and I also look for contracted work on this site. It is part of my work as an IC to seek out clients and/or MTSOs hiring ICs, and is very much so work related.

Work at Home Deductions - OhioMom58

[ In Reply To ..]
The IRS has a "virtual workshop" available on line that is quick to browse through and gives specific details as to what deductions you can take. I found it extremelely helpful! Go to:

http://www.tax.gov/virtualworkshop/

Adding to list - Typo

[ In Reply To ..]
Any software related to business (upgrades)and any reference books...this year I had to replace my desk...I have a receipt.

Similar Messages:

Working From Home?
Dec 01, 2009

Hello,   Im just finishing up a medical transcription course/certification program with Allied schools, and I was wondering if there are any of you MT's working from home or are most of you working in a hospital?  Also have any of you done the online certifications and if you did how did you get some experience under your belt to help you with the job?  I was a veterinary technician for years, so I sort of knew what I was getting into, but it has turned out to be a little mo ...

What I Don't Like About Working At Home Right
Mar 02, 2010

now is that I would really love to tell somebody off!! Yes, I know that may sound childish, but this company has put my stress level through the roof, my blood pressure through the roof, and their BS has me so pissed off, if I were in an office where they were I would find great satisfaction in letting them have it verbally, not in writing.  Yes, I would be fired on the spot, but it would be so worth it.  It's just not the same when they don't have to face someone in person.& ...

Working At Home
Mar 09, 2010

Everyone says "I would love to work from home".  Working from home has been having negative effects on me.  I've been doing this for 12 years.  I never used to have anxiety or depression.  Now, I do.  This job is so isolating.  I'm sick and tired of staying home in my PJs.  I try to get out of the house as much as possible, but little trips to the grocery store is not cutting it.  I get depressed staying home all the time.  I lack a social l ...

Getting In A Rut Working From Home
Mar 06, 2012

Becoming pretty much inactive, get up, login and work. Get off, turn on the TV and lay down or maybe spend a few hours on your favorite website. As far as making meals, they are far and few between because you eat in between working, breaks or just grab something totally unhealthy when you get off. Can go a couple of days without showering, lounging in pajamas, maybe groom and fix up once a week to go out for errands. House hold chores suffer because of lack thereof. My bedroom is a t ...

What I Like About Working At Home
Nov 17, 2012

Cocktail hour.   ...

Moms Of Little Ones And Working At Home
Dec 17, 2009

For all you moms to little ones, have any of you found the best time to work from home?? Late at night? Early in morning? Hire a sitter? What works best? Thanks in advance. Just want some opinions and possibly helpful insight. ...

Do You Get Dressed For Your Day At Home Working?
Jan 22, 2010

For years, I NEVER got dressed.  Worked in sweats, pulled my hair back and that was it.  For the past six months or so, I get completely dressed, put on makeup, and for some reason, I feel A LOT better now and enjoy my work more!  That sounds crazy, I agree, but ws wondering how many get dressed to start their day and how many roll out of bed and into the computer chair.  Oh, but I am NOT able to wear shoes though, lol, I can't seem to work my foot pedal with them on:) ...

Anyone Take An Outside Job After Working At Home For Years?
Jan 28, 2010

A month or so ago, I sent a resume for a medical/legal transcription position locally and forgot all about it until they called today! Being in the middle of an op report, I wasn't thinking and said yes to an interview on Monday. I haven't worked outside the home in 15 years! I don't really have anything to wear in a lawyer's practice anymore. I don't know if I should cancel the interview or go.  Will I be able to handle working outside the home again? A ...

Questions About Working From Home
Feb 04, 2011

I have a few questions about working from home.  I have a full-time job as a transcriptionist for a hospital, but I have recently applied to a company to do transcription from home, part-time.  I get paid an hourly wage at my job, but the company pays by the dictated minute, and I am not sure if it is a good wage.  They have a minimum requirement of 200 dictated minutes per week, and the pay is $1.15 per dictated minute.  If anyone who works from home could let me know if thi ...

Working With A New Baby At Home....
Mar 15, 2011

Hi all :)   I wondered if I might be able to get some advice from those of you who have worked from home with a new baby.  My baby was born in February and I'm due to start back to work soon.  I have an older boy, but I worked outside the home with him.  My baby is breast fed, which makes me wonder about how you handled frequent feedings.  Also, I wanted to know what you used if you needed to keep typing but be able to hold the baby as well.  I thought I would ...

Anyone Who DOESN'T Like Working At Home?
May 17, 2014

just wondering if I'm the only one.   Even though I dearly love being an MT. Reasons being ... Feel like I don't even know how to have a face-to-face conversation with people anymore.  SO bad for one's health, sitting all day.  Feel trapped in my house. Stressed because I have to maintain my equipment -- I don't understand computer functions, so need others' help when fix-ups need to be made (kids, husband).  Kind of like that one subject ev ...

Question About Working Out Of Home - Sm
Apr 17, 2015

Does anyone know if I can take off during part of the year and still work "from home" but using Wifi somewhere like a campsite for a few months? ...

Social Contact And Working At Home
Jan 21, 2010

I'm strongly considering working at home. Do any of you who work at home have tips on balancing out the long hours working alone with having social contact, especially those of you who live alone or live with one other person?  I'm already an introvert to an extent but I'm nervous of the fact that if I work at home, I may become a hermit.  ...

Type Of Computer For Working At Home??
Apr 26, 2010

I am needing to replace my computer-- my desktop is so slow it is really nonfunctional and I fried my laptop.  My question is, I would prefer to buy another laptop but if I wanted to do work from home, does a laptop really suffice?  Is it possible to hook up a wireless mouse and real keyboard to it, and is it possible to connect a foot pedal to it?  If not, I will need to look at desktops.     Thanks for any advice anyone can give out there! ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...

Working At Home With Small Children
Jan 30, 2011

For all of you MTs who have smaller kids (elem. schoolage and younger), how do you manage your hours? I have a preschooler and another one 2nd grade and I'm currently working second shift, but this isn't working out too well with all the "family stuff" that needs to be done like getting dinner, giving baths, helping with homework, just routine stuff.  The problem is there's really not enough work for me to work 1st shift and I've been in this business long enough to ...

Question About Working Away From Home Occasionally.
Feb 02, 2012

My mother is getting pretty old and sickly, has CHF among other things.  One of my sisters is already bearing more than her share of responsibility taking care of mom, but she lives the closest. Still, in the very near future, the rest of us are going to have to rotate in and out of taking care of mom, so it's spread out more equally. My question:  If I already use a PC with a DSL line at home, and plan to visit mom for a week once every 4-5 weeks, and be able to work from h ...

Laid Off. Questions Regarding Working At Home
Apr 30, 2013

I was laid off from my part-tme MT position.  I have 30+ years experience in acute care transcription.  I am researching what MT companies, if any, provide equipment.  I also prefer a company that does straight transcription, acute care.  I have a laptop but prefer not to use it.  If need be, I would purchase a desktop.  I have wireless.  I do not have experience with VR.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.     ...

Working With Young Kids At Home
May 30, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to work at home with 2 small kids, under age of 3.  Losing a babysitter and have no other options.  I have done it before but not for long periods of time.  Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Do You Wear Headphones Working At Home?
Sep 20, 2013

I just saw the other question re headphones and wondered how many use them working at home?  I'm home alone while I'm working and just never thought to use them. I also seem to be able to hear better through the speakers.  If you do use them, is it because you have better quality with them? ...

After 10 Years Of MT, Finally Working Outside Of Home Again
Sep 27, 2013

Got an office job 3 days a week making $15 hour, still will do Mt prn, but won't have to stress anymore about my lines. I am glad I got to stay home with my kids over those years, but if I had to do it again, I would of stayed working. The financial stress that me and my family went through, bankruptcy, never having money to do anything fun, no vacations. I don't think it was worth it. Oh well, they tried to tell us in MT school back in 2001 there was talk of VR then, now its EMR a ...

Move From Working At Home To The Outside World
Dec 18, 2013

Has anyone who worked from home and now works outside had trouble adjusting? I'm working outside again after being MT from home and I'm still in adjustment mode. Currently I work in a medical office (not an MT). It's nice to be able to move around after having sit at a computer all day, but there are times I just wish I sat at a computer instead of up and down and around the office. I liked having less people contact when I worked from home, less drama, and especially less off ...

Working From Home Medical Transcription
May 21, 2014

I have put together a list of work-at-home companies, some transcription but I tried to not include companies you would already see on this site, and some not.  I cannot vouch for any of these companies but I did get them from 2 different sites that were said to be reliable (i.e., not schemes).  Please reply by email if you would like me to email you my list.   ...

Do You Try To Dress Somewhat Professionally When Working At Home?
Dec 22, 2014

Or just stay as comfortable as possible? I usually try to stay somewhat professional as it just seems to make me feel a little more in working mode.  Some days are just sweat pants type days.  Especially with the colder weather coming up, I tend to be more interested in just staying warm and comfortable. ...

Medical Transcription Working From Home
Jan 21, 2015

i am currrently in school how hard is it to get a job from home in transcription or coding? ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

Hertz Rent A Car Hired Me Working From Home!!!
Apr 13, 2014

I was determined to find something else and I did and it is still working from home...10.25 an hour to start with bonuses, incentives and excellent benefits....I start training Tuesday... whoo hooo!! ...

Health Insurance Agent Working From Home.
Jan 06, 2015

I just got off the phone with my health insurance company agent at HealthLink.  She is working from home!  I should have asked what qualifications someone need to do this line of work, but didn't think to ask at that time.  I wonder if coding or transcription/medical terminology experience would be a requirement.  I had called to ask how much my deductible will be for an upcoming outpatient surgery.  She was able to look at my account and tell me the deductible amou ...

How Hard Is It To Realize That Even Thogh I Am At Home, I"M WORKING!!
Jun 03, 2010

Sorry just had to let it out...ty for listening to my scream lol ...

In Word 2003, My Ctrl+Home Quit Working. Can Anyone Help Me With Getting It
Jul 12, 2011

xx ...